The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does Henson go from here?

+30
lostinwales
Artful_Dodger
100%beefy
TJ1
Scarpia
kiakahaaotearoa
Cyril
dragonbreath
XR
beshocked
R!skysports
ScarletSpiderman
offload
Biltong
Jhamer25
Scrumpy
flyhalffactory
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
GunsGerms
CurlyOsp
SecretFly
gregortree
Taffineastbourne
thebluesmancometh
fa0019
Looseheaded
mckay1402
Jimpy
t1000advancedprototype
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Henson's fate?

Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap13%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap10%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap23%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 11 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap17%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 8 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap15%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 7 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap2%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap2%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap8%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap4%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Where does Henson go from here? Vote_lcap6%Where does Henson go from here? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 48

Where does Henson go from here? Empty Where does Henson go from here?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:33 am

After 2 matches for London Welsh this season, will Mr Reliable play in the exotic rugby championship or will he move on?

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Where does Henson go from here? Empty Re: Where does Henson go from here?

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:39 am

Isn't Henson something to do with The Muppet Show?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:42 am

Jimpy wrote:Isn't Henson something to do with The Muppet Show?

The 1970s/80s American one

Or

The 2005 New Zealand one?

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:52 am

It is a shame though and a waste.

His awful off field attitude meant he wouldn't get selected for

2001 lions
RWC 2003
RWC 2007
2009 lions

Woodward was forced to take him in 2005 but didn't have to pick him to start a test.

In 2005 he could have erased his silly reputation and attitude and earn real respect but instead goes even worse, releases a book slating his team and falls out with everyone.

Then he falls out with the Ospreys and does a runner till they eventually release him.
Then silly saracens give him a shot and he does the dirty on them.
Sacked by Toulon.
Sacked by Blues
Hardly played for London Welsh.

Only 31 Wales caps but more appearances for Wales than his previous FOUR clubs.

What a mess.

Last edited by t1000advancedprototype on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:53 am

He should stay with London Welsh. whether he will or not. wouldn't be surprised if he retired.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:51 am

Where next for Henson?

The Lions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLV0loK6VcU

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

Japan. Probably the only place which will have him and can pay his salary expections.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:31 am

The only emotion I get when discussing Henson is of anger, there isn't a player alive or dead who could boast his skill set level in it's entirity, yet it all got flittered away because of his hunger for fame and fortune!!

He isn't the first and he won't be the last, but it really hurts to think right now Wales could add a fully fit, fully firing Henson to their backline...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:37 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:The only emotion I get when discussing Henson is of anger, there isn't a player alive or dead who could boast his skill set level in it's entirity, yet it all got flittered away because of his hunger for fame and fortune!!

He isn't the first and he won't be the last, but it really hurts to think right now Wales could add a fully fit, fully firing Henson to their backline...

I think he's probably the most talented player to come out of Wales since I've been watching welsh rugby from the 80s onwards but I would say guys like Frans Steyn, Dan Carter and certainly Carlos Spencer are above him in terms of talent from recent batch of players.... but certainly the guy who threw away his career more than anyone else.

Just imagine had they all been fit and raring to go what a trio of Wilkinson, Henson and O'Driscoll could have done in the 05-09 lions tours.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

fa0019 wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:The only emotion I get when discussing Henson is of anger, there isn't a player alive or dead who could boast his skill set level in it's entirity, yet it all got flittered away because of his hunger for fame and fortune!!

I think he's probably the most talented player to come out of Wales since I've been watching welsh rugby from the 80s onwards but I would say guys like Frans Steyn, Dan Carter and certainly Carlos Spencer are above him in terms of talent from recent batch of players.... but certainly the guy who threw away his career more than anyone else.

Just imagine had they all been fit and raring to go what a trio of Wilkinson, Henson and O'Driscoll could have done in the 05-09 lions tours.

Frans Steyn had a big boot and great defence, but couldn't pick a pass like Henson could, he wasn't as quick and nowhere near as agile as Henson was!!

Carter can't boot the ball 22 to 22 unassisted, and he certainly couldn't hit like Henson could!!

Spencer is the closest, but again he didn't have Hensons strength and process in defence, and well I never saw Spencor kick anything like Henson could!!!

I'm not saying Henson nurtured his talent to where those guys got to mind, but for raw ability in every aspect he had more!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

Great play was made about how Lyn Jones knew how to handle Gavin and would bring the best out of him.If his handfull of games for London Welsh was his best,then I fear that this is the end of the road in the UK.Japan would seem a likely route if he can be a*sed to continue with this charade.
One heck of a shame.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:01 am

What terrible waste of talent. He could have been a top B lister, if he had not allowed rugby to keep getting in the way.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:01 am

I would put money on Steyn being quicker then Henson... even with his legendary gut. When he first played under White he often played wing and had he not been so big he would be very swift.

Steyn has been near 2st overweight for the last four years.... he's one of the laziest players in SA.... does enough to just be better then the next guy. Its what all his coaches have said... White, PDV, Meyer.

When he first came in and played 10 at the sharks post 07 RWC he was quite the distributor but with no one in SA putting their hands up to play 15 at the time he was the obvious choice.

Henson was/is very talented though.. but i'd always back a guy with 2nd class talent and a 1st class attitude over someone with 1st class talent and a 2nd class attitude.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

fa0019 wrote:I would put money on Steyn being quicker then Henson... even with his legendary gut. When he first played under White he often played wing and had he not been so big he would be very swift.

Steyn has been near 2st overweight for the last four years.... he's one of the laziest players in SA.... does enough to just be better then the next guy. Its what all his coaches have said... White, PDV, Meyer.

When he first came in and played 10 at the sharks post 07 RWC he was quite the distributor but with no one in SA putting their hands up to play 15 at the time he was the obvious choice.

Henson was/is very talented though.. but i'd always back a guy with 2nd class talent and a 1st class attitude over someone with 1st class talent and a 2nd class attitude.

Steyn was never very quick at all, and his distribution even when back then wasn't great.

This is the key phrase though, and hence the anger. I'd take a no mark with a great work ethic over a talented bum any day of the week!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

He did...or fate did.... waste his very real talent. I think his problem was always/is always that he's extremely self-conscious. Self conscious on the field (aware of cameras etc) and self-conscious off it, drawing news stories to him.

I saw bits of him on that snowbound Reality show he was on...and he looked and sounded like a competitive but funny and downright ok sort of guy. I suspect maybe his 'humour', which can be quite self-effacing actually, gets misinterpreted a lot as arrogance. I don't know where he goes from here. At 31, with his history, his options are now limited....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:53 am

Dragons are in the market for a utility back..

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:58 am

31 isnt that old especially given that he hasnt played anywhere near as much rugby as most International class rugby players have that that age. If he can continue playing and show some consistency he may be able to turn his career round. He will need to keep his head down though and stay away from contraversy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

ah well.... 4 6N titles, 3 GS and 1 RWC SF in the last 8 seasons.... half (of 6N titles) without Henson. You guys haven't done that bad without and even with a focused Henson I doubt it would have been that much better... maybe some decent SH scalps and a RWC final appearance in 2011.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

GunsGerms wrote:31 isnt that old especially given that he hasnt played anywhere near as much rugby as most International class rugby players have that that age. If he can continue playing and show some consistency he may be able to turn his career round. He will need to keep his head down though and stay away from contraversy.

likely though?

He's viewed as pretty toxic by many of the big clubs and surely they won't offer him what he wants either given he's injured for half the time and only shows glimpses of form now and then..... HC sides want consistency and results. I think Japan would be his best bet but the lifestyle change won't be easy and will also mean being away from his family.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm

fa0019 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:31 isnt that old especially given that he hasnt played anywhere near as much rugby as most International class rugby players have that that age. If he can continue playing and show some consistency he may be able to turn his career round. He will need to keep his head down though and stay away from contraversy.

likely though?

He's viewed as pretty toxic by many of the big clubs and surely they won't offer him what he wants either given he's injured for half the time and only shows glimpses of form now and then..... HC sides want consistency and results. I think Japan would be his best bet but the lifestyle change won't be easy and will also mean being away from his family.

No not likely at all. He doesnt have the right temprament nor dicipline for first class rugby.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm

It's old when it comes along with his reputation. Coaches and sides will be thinking what has he got that younger guys than him also now have and don't bring any baggage with them. I think he certainly has the natural talent to still have a future with a team who'd choose him and he's be absolutley committed to...but how many of those teams are out there that operate at the level he can operate at? There are so many younger guys out there already looking for careers.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

surely he will go somewhere warm and sunny to work on his tan?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

fa0019 wrote:Just imagine had they all been fit and raring to go what a trio of Wilkinson, Henson and O'Driscoll could have done in the 05-09 lions tours.

Had Woodward picked Henson in 2005, that's exactly what the starting combination would have been. Instead, Woodward and EOS felt somehow that Jones at 10 and Wilkinson at 12 was better.

Some of the selection decisions on that tour were really scary.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

Henson the most talented ever to come out of this world!!.......... come on man.

Played for one game for Llanelli RFC in 2000 and I saw him when we beat Llanelli and scored over 50 points albeit probably only about 18 then he didn't impress. World Junior Player 2001 and to a major extent that was it, his signature years probably came when he was supported by . During his initial stint with the then Swansea RFC, Arwel Thomas was regarded as more naturally talented, faster, more aware, equally good distribution and except for his small statue and being seven years older would have kept him out of the side much longer.

I personally think the Henson halcyon years were 2004-2005, however when you looked at those games you would have seen a more naturally talented but less risky, less self promoting hence a much less eye catching centre that not only provided all the space that Henson needed. A certain centre who in 2004 scored EIGHT tries in FOUR games, he was selected and probably would have been a shoe-in to play for the Lions along with BOD in 2005 except for a cruel knee injury forced his withdrawal, and another injury robbed him yet again in 2009. BOD had no time for Henson but quoted that "Shanks" was the centre that was the pivot for Wales in the 2005 slam year, and could have been the difference winning and losing the Lions test series

Tom Shanklin was in my mind a more naturally gifted player than Henson, who all but for brief period has never been able to cut it at the highest level
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

More TV work me thinks.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

Go to the dragons they need a versatile player, Cardiff wont' have him, Scarlets dont't need him, Ospreys have been there and dont it with him, not the most popular player in english clubs and every french club can buy better players than him. Just leaves the dragons I think

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

Henson has been the epitome of wasting a God given talent.

Such a shame.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

I know it may bring a laugh but I see the same about Luke Watson.

He didn't make the grade for other reasons. An outstanding junior and was voted SA player of the year in 2006 yet even after all the above he was deemed surplus to requirements with the boks and it the whole White-Watson issues in 06-07 poisoned his view of the boks and ruined what could have been a great career.

He never wanted it after that and has never been the same player.

Still, he's not short of a few bob... the highest paid player in SA today on about r3MM per year (about 250K GBP.... trust me, its a lot).... Habana gets about r1MM apparently. Talent and performance is nothing in contractual negotiations compared to your Da being CEO of your club.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:33 pm

There is no way in hell Haban is earning a million a year, Lawrence Sephaka was on a million when he played.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

I think thats his WP contract... he probably gets a springbok top up. Only what I read but could be mis-quoted.

BB - If what you say is true then what is the lure of Europe??? IF guys are earning say 2+MM rand and living at home then why are guys like Stander leaving to Munster??? Surely he's not going to be on more than 250K eur per year there? I'd be very surprised at that figure.

Habana going to Toulon is different... surely he'll be matching JW contract of perhaps 8MM rand a year.... then again one of a handful of bokke who has actually done his dues.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Henson the most talented ever to come out of this world!!.......... come on man.

Played for one game for Llanelli RFC in 2000 and I saw him when we beat Llanelli and scored over 50 points albeit probably only about 18 then he didn't impress. World Junior Player 2001 and to a major extent that was it, his signature years probably came when he was supported by . During his initial stint with the then Swansea RFC, Arwel Thomas was regarded as more naturally talented, faster, more aware, equally good distribution and except for his small statue and being seven years older would have kept him out of the side much longer.

I personally think the Henson halcyon years were 2004-2005, however when you looked at those games you would have seen a more naturally talented but less risky, less self promoting hence a much less eye catching centre that not only provided all the space that Henson needed. A certain centre who in 2004 scored EIGHT tries in FOUR games, he was selected and probably would have been a shoe-in to play for the Lions along with BOD in 2005 except for a cruel knee injury forced his withdrawal, and another injury robbed him yet again in 2009. BOD had no time for Henson but quoted that "Shanks" was the centre that was the pivot for Wales in the 2005 slam year, and could have been the difference winning and losing the Lions test series

Tom Shanklin was in my mind a more naturally gifted player than Henson, who all but for brief period has never been able to cut it at the highest level

clap
Spot on Flyhalf. Shanks was the standout centre in the 05 win. Henson just bores me - I couldn't care less what he does next.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm

fa0019 wrote:I think thats his WP contract... he probably gets a springbok top up. Only what I read but could be mis-quoted.

BB - If what you say is true then what is the lure of Europe??? IF guys are earning say 2+MM rand and living at home then why are guys like Stander leaving to Munster??? Surely he's not going to be on more than 250K eur per year there? I'd be very surprised at that figure.

Habana going to Toulon is different... surely he'll be matching JW contract of perhaps 8MM rand a year.... then again one of a handful of bokke who has actually done his dues.
fa, the Sephaka thing is true, it was in the Sunday times when he played.

i still remembered trhowing my toys thinking this bloke was earning a million for being shyte. And that was quite a while ago.

Why these players go overseas I can't tell you, but I suppose if Haban can earn R6 million over there it is more than what he gets here.

The normal Currie cup contracts from what my contact at the Lions told me runs at R 400 000 for a young starter to about R 750 000 per year once you have played 50 Currie cup matches,I can't tell you about Super Rugby as he doesn't know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Found an article in Afrikaans

Bok salaries in 2011 was roughly R1,6 million as a basic, another R40 000 match fee per game, and an additional R35 000 per win.

The top Boks are estimated to earn close to R6 000 000 per year.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:52 am

offload wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

clap
Spot on Flyhalf. Shanks was the standout centre in the 05 win. Henson just bores me - I couldn't care less what he does next.

2 clear cases of dislike for the man clouding your judgement...

Shanklin was an excellent centre and true pro but he was very limited, his distribution was sloppy, didn't have a decent boot, and his vision wasn't very good at all. He was an excellent 13 though in that he hit the line hard and fast, and was able to scramble with his pace to recover in wider channells, but talent in regards to shanklin? Laugh Give it up boys

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

Shanks was IMO the better of the two, although only just. He was one of those who did alot of work to provide the space and time for others to look good in. By having Shanks outside of him, and Steve Jones on his other side (ah almost made the old commentators mistake), Henson had two players that never seemed to look impressive on their own, but were really good at making others shine. And it was similar at club level with Parker at outside centre, and Shaun Connor at fly half, although Hook did play that fly half too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:11 am

I love how not playing much elevates ones reputations

He was an good talent, could have been great - but to say he was the best things since sliced bread Whistle

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:28 am

The issue with Henson is that his talent was just that, talent.... when did he ever really perform on the pitch at the highest level?

The 6months stint from the 04 AIs where he came of age to the 05 6N, after that it all went to his head and he was gone as a player.

There was never a stage where he could get up and say "I'm the best centre in the world, let alone player... and I can prove it". He didn't have the consistency nor the run of games to truly set out his stall.

Perhaps it was done to injuries but lets not include his club form into the mix.... Charlie Hodgson was prolific in club rugby, and I mean outstanding (when English club rugby was the best in Europe... by far)... he was 10 times the player JW was in that field and played in a equally strong side (Sale vs. Newcastle).... yet come test rugby he shrank yet JW was born for test rugby.

Test players can stand out in club rugby (obvious as it is), there is more space, players have more time etc etc.

When he went to NZ in 05 he struggled to perform on the pitch and up to the 2nd test he had no injuries to explain his lack of form.... now NZ is a place where top players separate themselves from the pack.

I don't recall any posters complaining that much that Henson was picked at the time on the old site.... from what I recall prior to the 1st test most thought that whilst Henson was their choice at 12 (inc. my own) ... he hadn't performed well enough to argue that much about the selection choice.

It was a bad tour, moral was low and I'll give him that but players have only one or two snapshots at career defining global series/tournaments and the 6N is unfortunately not one of them and in his handful of these he failed to shine.

If he had talent to unrival the very best of the pro era i.e. Carlos Spencer then it was unproven talent bar a 6 month flash of form.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:41 am

BB - It makes sense that the figure I heard was probably his basic without top ups i.e. match fees and central bok contracts etc but I find that amazing that so many marginal players would then leave.

Take Josh Strauss for instance. Lets say he was on a basic of 1MM with close to the same in match fees, win & try bonuses. Given the Lions were decent in Currie cup during his tenure I wouldn't be surprised if he made say 1.5-2MM a year.

Now thats what +175K GBP which in SA is a decent wedge when you consider cost of livings, housing etc. From my own experience an equal amount of money in SA goes a lot further to live on then in the UK.
How much would he be on at Glasgow... more than the above figure??? Can a team like Glasgow with less then 10,000 attendees per game afford such players and when you consider the climate, leaving his family and friends then it looks an odd decision.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

FA, I think there are more reasons than just money why these guys leave.

If you just look around you people leave becuase they find excuses in every day life, they think there is too much corrption, too much crime etc. so that could be one of the reasons.

some probably go becuase they just get fedup with not getting a shot at the Boks, other leave because they look at the moetary amount only and do not consider the cost of living elswhere.

The reality is not all rugby players earn close to the amounts I quoted, those that aren't Boks most likely even when considering cost of living make a bundle overseas.

Take Jaque Fourie, he is makng twice the amount of money in Japan than he is making here something like 14 million a year.

It is about the money, but in our political climate, it also isn't always about the money.

What I do find strange though, are those coming back to SA, Pieter de Villiers the Frnech prop for example, never thought he would come back.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

what really gets to me is Stander and Arno botha, why the hell did those two leave?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

grass is always greener on the other side... I see it all the time. "The streets are paved with gold".

In the end I think the agents involved will be championing a foreign move.... because on a % basis they will make more. They don't care about cost of living etc

Obviously guys like Fourie will have a big incentive... because the very very best players get a lot more.

Arno Botha is a crazy one too. He's in the bok squad for heaven's sake. He should take his time.... its obvious some union has offered him a development contract (i.e. stipulated that he must be available for them at test level) which gives them a higher financial reward.

Someone should tap him on the shoulder and say... you could be the future of the boks... look at how much Fourie, Habana are making... if you want money put in your time as a bok and then once we're finished with you then you can go and get a bumper contract which only a 50cap test bok can demand.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:33 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
offload wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

clap

Shanklin was an excellent centre and true pro but he was very limited, his distribution was sloppy, didn't have a decent boot, and his vision wasn't very good at all. He was an excellent 13 though in that he hit the line hard and fast, and was able to scramble with his pace to recover in wider channells, but talent in regards to shanklin? Laugh Give it up boys

I think the tan has clouded your judgement, I am talking about a guys talent as a footballer not my likes or dislike of him as a person. When he has had the chance to perform out of the goldfish bowl (of the cowboy hatted fair weather posh n becks wannabees fans), then his obvious lack of natural talent at the highest level has seen him been shifted from 10 to 12 to 15 to 12 and now to 10............. he couldn't shift Stephen Jones at international level or his clone James Hook at regional level, was pushed out to centre then FB then to centre, saved by Gatland and Edwards who taught him how to tackle properly, and then blew it.
Now its been said that he really trains harder and longer than anyone else so obviously has always been match fit all through his career and yet hasn't had the required skill-set when players sussed him out to take himself to an higher level and out-perform them. Reminds me of Alex Higgins a risk-taker who realised that wasn't really what natural talent is all about and then became ragged troublemaker who shone brilliantly once or twice in an otherwise very mediocre career. I have to admit tho he had world class hands and awesome distribution off left and right shoulder

By the way Shanklin had a fantastic left peg, he could be delicate or hump the ball from his left foot. A much more talented footballer of the two if truth be known
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:43 am

Saints need a no 10. Perhaps he should try his luck there if they are willing to gamble on him?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:46 am

beshocked wrote:Saints need a no 10. Perhaps he should try his luck there if they are willing to gamble on him?

I would have thought that by now, nobody would be that stupid. His days of playing in the big leagues are over.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

Jimpy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Saints need a no 10. Perhaps he should try his luck there if they are willing to gamble on him?

I would have thought that by now, nobody would be that stupid. His days of playing in the big leagues are over.

I agree but Saints do need a 10.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

I see from their website that he has played 7 league matches out of 20... given he doesn't play test rugby anymore and he's a first choice player injuries are having its toll, it would be a massive gamble.... even for a team who were convinced he was now mentally right.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

Shanksy Baby Cool

He should have taken his kick before Tom james in the shoot out, we would have been in the final Crying or Very sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

Cardiff seems a option. Need to recruit on a limited budget, Henson would seem an an attractive option. Still a good player if not what he was, and very marketable.

Will Phil have the gonads to sign him though.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

gcBlues wrote:Shanksy Baby Cool

He should have taken his kick before Tom james in the shoot out, we would have been in the final Crying or Very sad

Why would you remind me of that?

God damn Tom James. furious

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
offload wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

clap

I think the tan has clouded your judgement, I am talking about a guys talent as a footballer not my likes or dislike of him as a person. When he has had the chance to perform out of the goldfish bowl (of the cowboy hatted fair weather posh n becks wannabees fans), then his obvious lack of natural talent at the highest level has seen him been shifted from 10 to 12 to 15 to 12 and now to 10............. he couldn't shift Stephen Jones at international level or his clone James Hook at regional level, was pushed out to centre then FB then to centre, saved by Gatland and Edwards who taught him how to tackle properly, and then blew it.
Now its been said that he really trains harder and longer than anyone else so obviously has always been match fit all through his career and yet hasn't had the required skill-set when players sussed him out to take himself to an higher level and out-perform them. Reminds me of Alex Higgins a risk-taker who realised that wasn't really what natural talent is all about and then became ragged troublemaker who shone brilliantly once or twice in an otherwise very mediocre career. I have to admit tho he had world class hands and awesome distribution off left and right shoulder

By the way Shanklin had a fantastic left peg, he could be delicate or hump the ball from his left foot. A much more talented footballer of the two if truth be known

With that type of xenophobia you've lost the argument by default...

And when you mean obvious lack of natural talent do you mean the internationals he shone in or the lions tour he was messed about in? Because IMO you don't get lions call ups by a coach who despises you lightly.

You clearly dislike the guy, and the welsh for some reason, and your opinion has descencded into laughable dribble mate!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next