The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay

+9
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
tunes666
John Bloody Wayne
Knowsit17
Steffan
School Project
azania
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay Empty Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/stieglitz-vs-groves-clash-on-5th-erfurt-germany--51336

Groves will need a KO then.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay Empty Re: Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay

Post by azania Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

If he gets the KO it will be scored a draw.

azania

Back to top Go down

Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay Empty Re: Groves v Stieglitz set May 5th in Germay

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

Warren messed up letting this purse bid slide. Especially sinc they are even matched. Stieglitz is nothing special but Groves can't beat him doing what Haye did v Valuev. Needs to be coming forward more. Luckily for Groves, Stieglitz has less than stellar power at SM

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

He will get the KO. Stieglitz has been KO'd twice before, Groves has the power.

Good luck to him. I like St George, comes across as a nice bloke. Just hope he doesn't win this belt and rots away in leisure centres like Nathan Cleverly.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

Don't know if anyone else heard about this too:

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2012/king-arthur-gets-winner-stieglitz-v-groves

Arthur Abraham (34-3, 27 KOs) secured another world title shot with a clear points victory over Piotr Wilczewski (30-3, 10 KOs) on Saturday night.

'King Arthur' will face the winner of the WBO super-middleweight title fight between George Groves and champion Robert Stieglitz which is scheduled to take place in Erfurt, Germany on May 5, 2012.

Fighting in front of a sell-out crowd of 6.000 fans in Kiel and over seven million viewers on German ARD TV, the 31-year-old German dominated the fight from the first bell, pressuring his spirited opponent with hard series of punches throughout. In the eleventh, he landed the biggest shots of the fight, which got Wilczewski in trouble, but the bell saved him from further punishment. At the end, Abraham was ahead 119-108, 118-109, 118-109.

“He was a tough opponent who could really take a lot of shots,” Abraham said. “I tried to go for the KO but couldn´t knock him out. But this was a good fight for me, the kind of fight I need to become world champion again. I am satisfied and will now keep up the hard work to accomplish my goal of winning the world title again.”

“It was all or nothing for Arthur tonight,” promoter Kalle Sauerland said. “He did well to shake off the pressure and dominate Wilczewski. Now we will wait and see who the opponent will be. I have no doubts that Arthur will be world champion again.”

Wilfried Sauerland was also happy about Abraham´s performance. “This was a very good test for him,” he stated. “He started aggressively and used his jab well in the early rounds. I think he is at 80 percent. He will get the additional 20 percent in practice and then win the world title again in his next fight.”

Coach Ulli Wegner said: “Arthur controlled and dominated him, no doubt about it, but someone with Arthur´s potential and knock-out power could have done better tonight. There are still a lot of things that need to be improved and we will keep working hard on it.”

In the co-featured main event, Eduard Gutknecht (24-1, 9 KOs) defended his European light-heavyweight title with a split decision against Tony Averlant (17-6, 4 KOs). After Gutknecht knocked his opponent down early with a big left, a close fight unfolded. Two judges scored it 115-113 and 114-113 for Gutknecht, while the third one had it 115-113 for Averlant.

Up-and-coming Polish cruiserweight hopeful Mateusz Masternak (26-0, 25 KOs) stopped Felipe Romero in the tenth round.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Groves can KO Stielgitz for sure, but needs to step up the gas to do so. He won't rot like Clev in leisure centres. His ambition is shown by being willing to travel. Clev would not fight someone this well matched away from home either.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:20 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Warren messed up letting this purse bid slide. Especially sinc they are even matched. Stieglitz is nothing special but Groves can't beat him doing what Haye did v Valuev. Needs to be coming forward more. Luckily for Groves, Stieglitz has less than stellar power at SM

GG doesn't fight anything like Haye does. He's more agressive and varied. I just fear for him if it goes the distance. But on the bright side, GG comes with money behind him and although the governing bodies are all fair bodies who will never get tainted by wanting the money man to win, who knows? It may even itself out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:28 pm

Groves used to fight on the back foot and lunge in a bit like Haye, i thought. Either way, close matchup, hopefully it'll be fair, i am about 2 robberies away from never watching another fight (or swearing too)

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

My money is on first loss for Groves

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:56 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Groves used to fight on the back foot and lunge in a bit like Haye, i thought. Either way, close matchup, hopefully it'll be fair, i am about 2 robberies away from never watching another fight (or swearing too)

Ha. Nowadays the results are almost meaningless with so many belts available.

GG stood toe to toe with Anderson. Displayed good punch power against Smith and a complete change of style against DeGale. He has more to his game than Haye does.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

I can see Groves winning, if he doesn't inexperience and diving in at the deep end too early will certainly be cited. Doesn't bode all that well considering he said he'd wait before going for a world title.

Whatever happened to Stieglitz vs Kessler?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

This is too much too soon for GG. Could be another Davey Moore.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

Kessler had to move up to light heavyweight I think.

I see Groves beating Siteglitz, it's Abraham that worries me. As School Project points out, if he wins here he's got to face a very tough and powerful fighter in Abraham or be branded a ducker.

A couple of weaknesses in Groves: He's looked small at times for a super middle. Not so much against Smith who's very small at 168, but against Degale and Anderson he looked like a middleweight. Also, durability isn't on his side. He got marked up badly against Degale (a fight that hardly had a great deal of clean landed punches) and doesn't look hard to rock. See end of round 1 against Smith and the Anderson fight. Abraham is so hard to hurt, he will pressure Groves and can probably turn any possible points deficit in his favour with one good punch. Abraham, for all his weaknesses, has only been beaten definitively by the #1 and 2 super middleweights in the world.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

I get the feeling Groves has great strengths but also great weakness's

I think he is easy to rock, and since the Anderson fight he seems pretty desperate not to get hit.

That being said he is also very quick and has a hard punch ..

So for me he is the kind of fighter who could end up getting stopped early on, or stopping someone early.

I have not made my mind up about him. He was rocked in the first round against Smith and then got the better of him the second round... His main challange was against Degale and he was on the back foot all fight against him making sure he did not take too many shots and managed to nick the fight.. There is no way he will be able to do that in Germany...

But don't know too much about Stieglitz and how good he is, he is obviously very competent so its definitely a firm step up for Groves..

... I just feel that a good fighter will be able to expose Groves but that being said, he is still getting more experience in so it comes down to how much he can move forward...

Be a good fight!

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

Abraham could bulldoze groves. Abraham hasn't looked the same at 168 but groves is no ward or froch. Groves was in a lot of trouble vs Anderson and Anderson doesn't hit as hard as Abraham and isn't as durable.

Yes he blew away smith, but smith isn't a big middleweight and isn't as tough. Smith was stopped by degale whereas Abraham has neve teen knocked out, he's only been down once. If smith can catch groves, his defence must not be that greatly improved.

Since the Anderson fight, he looks really fun shy to me, copies haye's style also. He should beat Stieglitz, but abraham is a big ask for someone so inexperienced.

Degale fights best in the pocket, not walking forward being the aggressor and he had a lot of success vs groves. Abrahams natural game is to go forwards so if groves fights that way, Abraham can bully him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:11 am

Groves wasnt rocked by Paul Smith, please rewatch that again!!!!! He was tagged but not shaken in the slightest. Groves for my money KOs Stieglitz in a hard fought fight, but Abraham I believe is at his best mentally right now from what I've seen and is making alterations to his fight style, funnily enough I reckon George takes both, he's pretty under rated from my perspective.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:33 am

Don't think GG has gone gun shy, he's more patient than before and actually picks his shots where as earlier he was wild, he works openings very well. Look at the Smith fight, went to the body a few times to bring the hands down and then let the big right hand go.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:45 am

Big Kudos to Groves here, really testing himself, Clev and Degale take note.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:51 am

Harsh on Degale GG, seems to be only taking tough fights himself, Clevs opposition has been a mockery.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:59 am

It is a little Alex, i just don't like him. Degale won't give Groves any respect whatever he does.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:45 am

Degale needs to give Groves the credit he deserves. It was hardly a robbery. He needs to accept it and move on or he'll constantly have that monkey on his back.

I'm impressed with this, by far Groves best opposition - winnable but not a certainty. I'm not worried about Abraham for Groves, he's a bit far gone now. Groves of late has shown that he's becoming a more adept counter puncher, gone is the fool that tried to trade with Anderson. I think he takes Abraham via UD, around the 117 - 111 level.

I see the Steiglitz fight being a bit linear and Groves getting the stoppage around 7/8 just from superior handspeed and power. He'll need it though, theres no way he'll get a decision in Germany, not even if he knocks him down 3/4 times through the fight, they'll just score the rounds Steiglitz didn't get knocked down to him rather than Groves regardless of the outcome of the round.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:18 am

Groves KO or Stielgitz points, i agree.

AA would KO Groves tho IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:49 am

Groves has the best chance he's ever likely to get to snap up a title here. On paper he has a great chance but if Stieglitz remains upright after the final bell he could get jobbed on the cards.

Stieglitz joins Huck, Cleverly , Shumenov as one of the worst alphabet champions!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Groves wasnt rocked by Paul Smith, please rewatch that again!!!!!
Just did, if the bell did not go, he would have been in a spot of bother. I find with Groves its not so much his legs go, but hos head does.. If you could not see that Smith hit him and Groves was hurt by it then its because you don't want to.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down