The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the current Man Utd squad under rated??

+9
sirfredperry
The Special Juan
dublfcynwa
Ent
Liam
Imperial Ghosty
hampo17
Crimey
All Time Great
13 posters

Go down

Is the current Man Utd squad under rated?? Empty Is the current Man Utd squad under rated??

Post by All Time Great Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:59 pm

I've seen many comments by many posters claiming the current Manchester United squad requires a massive overhaul with significant reinvestment. Agreed, earlier on in the season united were sub par (albeit they looked brilliant in the Community Shield game versus Man City). However, throughout the second part of the season (with the exception of the lightly regarded Europa League Cup) they have been in magnificant form. This may possibly be in no small part due to the return of Paul Scholes.

Breaking down the EPL, despite the decline in technical quality of teams (with the likes of Chelsea ageing and the departures of Ronaldo and Fabregas to La Liga) the league has very much opened up in competitiveness. We have a good 6 or 7 teams who are capable of beating each other in a given game, with the exception of Citeh and United who are very much head and shoulders above the rest. Therefore, united's current position at this point in the season is a credit to the current squad.

This brings me to the current united squad- despite a number of injuries during the year (including long term injuries to Fletcher and Vidic) this united squad still very much can hold their own. A defensive line which includes a choice of Evra, Da Silva bros, Evans, Ferdinand, Smalling and Jones is very much one of the strongest of recent times.

In terms of United's wide players, we have Young, Valencia, Nani and Park who are all extremely competent players. Valencia being the real stand out of the bunch who could probably get into most top European sides right now.

Up front, United have a stong quartet of strikers at the disposal with Rooney, Hernandez, the ever improving Welbeck and Berbatov. Other than the 2008 season which included Tevez and Ronaldo I struggle to see any strike forces from the Premiership's past which can compete with that.

United's problem area has been identified as the central midfield area, however with the return of Scholes this now looks a stable format once again. Carrick has rediscovered some form and Giggs remains an imperious option in the centre of the park. The talent Tom Cleverly also possesses makes me wonder whether a £30m transfer is really required given the current economic climate in football. United also have a talented youngster in Paul Pogba whose been widely touted as an up and coming star of the future.

Nevertheless, looking at a potential united side in 3/4 years time:

De Gea

Fabio
Evans
Jones
Smalling

Nani
Cleverly
Pogba
Valencia

Welbeck
Rooney

To me, that doesn't look so weak. I'm sure this side will continue winning EPL over the next 5 seasons to come.

Last edited by All Time Great on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Is the current Man Utd squad under rated?? Empty Re: Is the current Man Utd squad under rated??

Post by Crimey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Yet based on European results the team is at its weakest for a good number of years. They were destroyed over two legs by Athletico Bilbao, a team they would be expected to have comfortably beaten over the years.

The team was knocked out of the Champions League in an extremely weak group, and never once looked like a team that could challenge for honours in Europe.

Just last year, United were considered probably the third best team in Europe only behind Barcelona and Real Madrid, yet this season, they have flopped in Europe, which suggests the team is a lot weaker than in past years.

They have stayed at the same level in England, but have worsened considerably in Europe which is a clear evidence of the team being worse.

I think the only thing underrated by this Manchester United side is their desire and drive to win, that's the real strength of this side now. Technically I would say that City have a better football team, and would argue even Tottenham do as well, the difference being that Manchester United have a winning mentality with a winning manager that no other teams can match.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is the current Man Utd squad under rated?? Empty Re: Is the current Man Utd squad under rated??

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:20 pm

I think all teams have a bad year in Europe, this year was ours.

The squad though, needs some strengthening, regardless of if we win the league or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 pm

No I don't think so. They have looked a lot better in midfield since bringing a 37 year old Scholes back and I think that plays a big part in their form. Their current form is actually hiding the truth that they are over achieving based on the players they have.

Speaking to a United fan at work and he's desperate for investment, and openly admits that City have lost the title as much as United will win it.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:12 am

hampo171 wrote:No I don't think so. They have looked a lot better in midfield since bringing a 37 year old Scholes back and I think that plays a big part in their form. Their current form is actually hiding the truth that they are over achieving based on the players they have.

Speaking to a United fan at work and he's desperate for investment, and openly admits that City have lost the title as much as United will win it.

You are aware Man United are on course for a record points haul in the Premier League this season?

The only position I could possibly imagine investment in is a central midfielder, but it would have to be someone already established. Having said that, I think the current side is more than good enough to challenge Citeh next season.

For me it's relatively even between United and Citeh.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:03 am

Under rated most definitely, how can a team who seemingly only know how to win be dismissed so readily is beyond me with much of it being based on a poor showing in the champions league. There is room for improvement most prominently in the centre of midfield but there's no need for a complete overhaul as there is a lot quality in the squad.

Don't think too much can be read into the Europa league as along with Spurs and City I don't think we took it all that seriously and why would we when there's no real benefit to winning it, competing in it could only have served to disrupt our push in the league.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 am

We do need a top class cm in my view. United haven't the world class cm to compete in Europe in my view. Carrick will not win games against Real, Barca and Bayern. We cannot rely on Scholes (37) and Giggs (38) to win us games also. We saw this evidently in last seasons champions league final and in 09. Both times, United we outplayed in the centre of midfield, have we fixed this issue, no, we asked a 37 legend to come out of retirement and Giggs to play way more games than he should be expected to play.

Its all well and good winning the league, but we haven't looked like winning the champions league since 08. 09 and 11 were and should have been wake up calls just how far we were behind Barca. We still haven't rectified the problem. We desperately need a top quality rb as I believe the Da Silva twins haven't got the temperament required for top level European football, as seen vs Barca in 2011 with Fabio and 2010 against Bayern, where Rafael got stupidly sent off, gifting the tie to Bayern.

Every top side has superb cm who can make something happen, but also have two other player, one that holds and protects the back four, and one that can conduct the game in possesion.

Real:

Khedira-Holding midfielder
Alonso-Conductor
Ozil/Kaka-Can make something happen

Barca:

Busquets-Holding midfielder
Xavi-Conductor
Iniesta-Makes something happen

Bayern:

Alaba/Gustavo-Holding
Schweinstiger-Conductor
Muller-Can make something happen

United need to sign a Tiote as a holding midfielder or Lassana Diarra from Real, who doesn't get much game time yet always gives Barca problems. They need a Snjeider or a modric who can keep popping up in the hole and play little passes and keep the back four guessing. We then need a conductor to replace Scholes. Who that is is a difficult question and will without doubt cost a fair bit of money.

United also need a change in formation. All the top sides effectively play a 4-2-3-1 formation. This means they will always have protection of the back four with four players making something happen up front. It works and United need to adopt it. The 4-4-2 formation is a dying art, United played it against Barca and were massacred because they were able to play in behind the two cm, Carrick and Giggs who are not the most agile, something needed desperately in today's game. This is what is required for United to compete on all fronts. Dare I say, Fergie has underachieved in Europe. For the team he had in 1999 to only win 1 champions league is a little disappointing to say the least. He said he'd learn from the defeat to Barca in 09, didn't buy a top class cm thus missing out on the bargain of Mesut Ozil for 12m and were again embarrassed in the final. He's most certainly mastered the premier league, but has yet to master the European cup like Bob Paisley was able to. This coming from a die hard United fan. Although I will gratefully accept the near enough inevitable 20th Premier league thank you very much.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:21 am

Obviously using Barcelona as a comparison we look poor but we've done better than any other team bar them in europe so to say we can't compete in europe when we've reached three finals in 5 years is a bit absurd. Madrid and Munich have looked good this season but they too have struggled to compete in europe and have been massively out done by us in that regard.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am

Rated appropriately.

This pl is the worst in a decade with 1 good side in it.

City are horrifically over rated, any side who have Gareth Barry as a first choice are not top level material.

European performance is not a blip, 10 games playing rubbish against good opposition cannot be a blip.

We need real strength and creativity in centre midfield, scholes has won us the league (fingers crossed) but he is 37 and can't keep going with the regularity required for a pl and cl challenge.

Problem is no one good enough is available to fill the void in our side.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

No they got a complete footballing lesson off a mid table Spanish club that are 40 points off the top of the Spanish league and Basel also outplayed them over two games. The prem is the most over-rated league in the world and this United side is a poor side IMO but they still won the league with the help of some disgraceful refs and if they could sign about 3 or 4 top players in the summer they might have a chance of getting out of the group stages of the champs league next season.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:No they got a complete footballing lesson off a mid table Spanish club that are 40 points off the top of the Spanish league and Basel also outplayed them over two games. The prem is the most over-rated league in the world and this United side is a poor side IMO but they still won the league with the help of some disgraceful refs and if they could sign about 3 or 4 top players in the summer they might have a chance of getting out of the group stages of the champs league next season.

How did Liverpool do out of interest?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 pm

No matter what you say about the current Man Utd team, it IS underrated but it IS NOT a fantastic team.

De Gea - Good

Fabio - Not good
Evans - Been good but lacks consistency over seasons
Jones - Will be good but needs to stop rampaging forward (a la Vertonghen), else play him at RB
Smalling - CB naturally

Nani - Hot and cold
Cleverly - Will be good
Pogba - No comment
Valencia - Good

Welbeck - I'd rather play Hernandez
Rooney - Don't need to say anything

As I said, the current squad is underrated but not "up there" with the big 3 - Barca, Madrid and Bayern.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:49 pm

I would not say they were underrated for style but they are certainly underrated for their winning mentality and stickability.
For two seasons now, Untd have managed to win the league without touching anything like the heights of thrilling, attacking football that characterised some of the earlier SAF sides.
What they have got is good team spirit (Man City take note), a very strong defence, an ability to make the most of goal chances and a very experienced manager. Sometimes it's not been that pretty, but it's been mighty effective.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
dublfcynwa wrote:No they got a complete footballing lesson off a mid table Spanish club that are 40 points off the top of the Spanish league and Basel also outplayed them over two games. The prem is the most over-rated league in the world and this United side is a poor side IMO but they still won the league with the help of some disgraceful refs and if they could sign about 3 or 4 top players in the summer they might have a chance of getting out of the group stages of the champs league next season.

We were not in Europe but we might have qualified from the group of life that you got embarrassed in OK
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm

You weren't in it to start with though were you so are in no position to comment, when was the last time Liverpool won a game anyway? Being 8th in the table closer to relegation than the title having spent over £100mil really is embarrassing but I can sit here happy in the comfort of a 20th league title nearly being secured.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 am

dublfcynwa wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:

We were not in Europe but we might have qualified from the group of life that you got embarrassed in OK

I think it's great when an Irish person uses "we" when talking about a club in an entirely different country to them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 am

Why? I am an Irishman as well and often use we or us when talking about Celtic.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 am

I just think it's a load of rubbish, you're not really apart fo that club unless you're from there or live in the area.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 am

De Gea - Continually improving and performed brilliantly recently, however cannot cope with crosses for toffee.

Fabio/Rafael - Both very average in my opinion, positioning & defensively awful
Evans - Vast improvement but lacks consistency over seasons. Poor in the air and gets destroyed by good physical CF's (Ba/Cardozo etc)
Jones - Needs to play one position or won't ever develop into the next JT. Rampages forward and usually loses it.
Smalling - CB naturally and very impressive in my opinion. Got everything in his game

Nani - Will contribute 10 league goals a season but blows hot and cold. Will never get to 'Ronaldo's' level.
Cleverley - Think he's terribly over-rated.
Pogba - No comment but then never given an opportunity.
Valencia - Breaking his leg was the best thing that ever happened to him. Physically built himself up and gained more pace, still needs work on crossing/final ball

Welbeck - Truly embarrasing. Inept of any first touch, awareness is shocking, appaling shot......What Berbatov must be thinking?
Rooney - Don't need to say anything. World Class

Compare this to Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern just doesnt! Won the league through experience, teammwork, spirit and a great manager. Also dropping out of europe focused them primarily on league.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:36 am

Can't agree. I would describe myself as a Celtic fan before being an ROI fan. I'd pick Celtic to win the CL over Ireland winning the World Cup. Just because I'm not geographically close to the club, doesn't mean I shouldn't refer to as "Us". I chose to go to uni there, so i could go more often. I used to go on the supporters bus from leaving at 5:30on a saturday morning, and not getting home to Midnight. Even now i still go as often as I can. Geography doesn't play a part for me.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:53 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:Can't agree. I would describe myself as a Celtic fan before being an ROI fan. I'd pick Celtic to win the CL over Ireland winning the World Cup. Just because I'm not geographically close to the club, doesn't mean I shouldn't refer to as "Us". I chose to go to uni there, so i could go more often. I used to go on the supporters bus from leaving at 5:30on a saturday morning, and not getting home to Midnight. Even now i still go as often as I can. Geography doesn't play a part for me.

Where as if you where a Man Utd fan you'd save so much time walking to your local pub in Cornwall and declaring yourself die hard after 1 game in 30 years of 'supporting' them through ordering 1 shirts and a few Facebook updates during the games.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:Can't agree. I would describe myself as a Celtic fan before being an ROI fan. I'd pick Celtic to win the CL over Ireland winning the World Cup. Just because I'm not geographically close to the club, doesn't mean I shouldn't refer to as "Us". I chose to go to uni there, so i could go more often. I used to go on the supporters bus from leaving at 5:30on a saturday morning, and not getting home to Midnight. Even now i still go as often as I can. Geography doesn't play a part for me.

Fair enough you spent time living there and that's a reasonable claim to being a fan and using the words "we". I suppose my case is odd, I would support Leeds, but I don't really feel like a part of the club, I have been over there once but I suppose I just don't feel that sense of attachment to them. Each to their own I suppose. I think this clip explains some of my frustration, especially as the League of Ireland is so poorly supported: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Underrated without a doubt. Utd have been in 3 of out of 5 champs league finals and have won 4 out 5 titles. The team in general have those same players today that had brought all that success. for eg Rooney, Berba, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdy, Vidic, Carrick, Evra, Valencia, Nani, Park, Anderson. Are these players all of a sudden poor?

Now off course there have been some departures eg Tevez,Ronaldo and Scholes for half a season, which have affected the team but in general Utd have kept competing nothwithstanding this years European disappointment.

If Utd had fell to something like 6th in the league or lower, then it could be said that this current sqaud is poorer. Also if Utd continue to be eliminated at the group stages of the champs league for say 2/3 more years, then again it could be said the squad is poorer, were it to remain the same as now.

It is obvious that a CM player is needed and this was made even more evident with the return of Scholes. This is hopefully something SAF will address next season but for now it can definetly said that this current squad is underrated.

And for the people who say that this years league is the poorest, well you need to remember what the league was like 2 years ago, when an extremely poor Chelsea side won the league by 1 point from an injury ravaged Utd. Chelsea went on to win the double by beating a relegated team.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down