The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scoring question

+5
Union Cane
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
HumanWindmill
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Scoring question Empty Scoring question

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

A few months back (it might have even been a year) I watched a fight with one of the K brothers.

During the fight (which was in Germany), the judges scorecards were announced during the bout as it went along. Is this normal for one of the ogverning bodies or am I dreaming this?

I am sure it was around the 8th round, the boxer (might have been Shannon Briggs or Eddie Chambers) was already losing all of the rounds and looked like quitting.

Do you think that letting boxers know as you go along is a good thing?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Scoring question Empty Re: Scoring question

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:38 pm

It's called ' open scoring, ' Hobo, and has been tried at various times throughout history. Ali v Shavers featured open scoring, for example.

It certainly has its merits, since scoring is more transparent and interactive, but as you imply there are psychological implications for the fighters.

Arguments for both sides, really.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:40 pm

The WBC introduced it, and I really don't like it. You are probably thinking of Vitali vs Peter. Peter basically quit because he knew he was too far behind. It's been proven to be a failure, people just stop engaging if they know they are ahead. Can't remember the last time I saw open scoring though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:40 pm

It was something introduced by the WBC for the fight with Samuel Peter but hasn't be used since as whenever there's more than one title on the line, the boxing Bodies can't agree on it.

The principle behind it is sound enough. Fighter A thinks, "Round eight and I'm five points behind, I need to knock this guy down or out. Time to go to work" However, all it inspired Peter to do was think, "Wonder if I can still catch that movie at the hotel, if I leave now, I might just make it!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:42 pm

No...................

1. It could lead to assualt or a riot..especially if you have a mexican judge doing a WBC fight!!

2. It could lead to a guy just spoiling the last few rounds knowing he's miles ahead.

3. You lose the suspense of the decision at the end of a close fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

That was the fight - cheers guys. Cant believe it was so long ago! It felt like a few months ago that I watched it.

I like the idea as it would spur some fighters on, and it would eradicate bad decisions (or certainly reduce them).

If a fighter quits because he is being badly beaten up (as was Peter in this fight) , is that a bad thing? Maybe for blood hungry fans looking for a knockout but not for the boxers health.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:3. You lose the suspense of the decision at the end of a close fight.

I agree Truss (!), there's nothing quite like that little bit of time when the announcer says "Winner, and..." and you wait for either "new" or "still".
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:47 pm

Hobo wrote:
I like the idea as it would spur some fighters on, and it would eradicate bad decisions (or certainly reduce them).

If a fighter quits because he is being badly beaten up (as was Peter in this fight) , is that a bad thing? Maybe for blood hungry fans looking for a knockout but not for the boxers health.
I don't think so. A judge sees his score is off from the others, he will look to balance it with the remaining rounds. You should judge each in isolation and without knowing how anyone else is voting.

I personally think they should go for the knockout if they can't win a decision. It's the world title, should mean a lot to win it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:48 pm

Union Cane wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:3. You lose the suspense of the decision at the end of a close fight.

I agree Truss (!), there's nothing quite like that little bit of time when the announcer says "Winner, and..." and you wait for either "new" or "still".

Except in Germany, of course, where they could make the announcement at the weigh in.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

Except in Germany, of course, where they could make the announcement at the weigh in.
Or as they call it, a split decision.

With modern methods all the rage it seems, why don't the Germans make use of these new technological advances and simply put the result on Twitter before the fight's even been arranged. Save a lot of time and money and that way, we could all hold a win over everyone else in the world....except Tyson Fury!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm

As has been said Hobo you are not going crazy as the WBC has brought it back, although it's great in some ways, there are far more disadvantages in my view, it's good to know if we have a judge halfway through the bout that doesn't seem to be watching the same fight as everyone else, means we can just hang him right there and then, but as has been said it's too easy for fighters to take their foot of the gas or quit. Although they don't come much more corrupt than the WBC it should keep the judges on their toes.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

Still having a go at the Germans I see...Old insecurites die hard it seems...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Still having a go at the Germans I see...Old insecurites die hard it seems...

Yes, thanks for helping us out there Truss, after all, without you we'd all be sprecking the deutsch wouldn't we.

🤦
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

Now you mention it.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Still having a go at the Germans I see...Old insecurites die hard it seems...

Aye, all that genocide and dodgy scoring (be it boxing or disallowed World Cup goals) can really grind one's gears!

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

So ist es, meine Freunde.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:02 pm

So that's it..It's not the anti-sematic stuff or the genocide that's the problem......

It's the fact they keep turfing you out of the World cup..

Sorry we can help with alot of things like re-arming, supplying submarines etc but scoring penalties is down to you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

Nah, wasn't penalties, it was Lampard's shot that was a good two feet over the line which would have had the Germans rattled (conceding two goals in ten minutes) creating a shift in momentum which would have undoubtedly led to England lifting the World Cup...but we'll never know now will we?!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

By the way, Argentina keep doing it to us as well but we don't have any issues with them...no, hang on. What about Lionel Messi? furious

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Nah, wasn't penalties, it was Lampard's shot that was a good two feet over the line which would have had the Germans rattled (conceding two goals in ten minutes) creating a shift in momentum which would have undoubtedly led to England lifting the World Cup...but we'll never know now will we?!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

By the way, Argentina keep doing it to us as well but we don't have any issues with them...no, hang on. What about Lionel Messi? furious

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

But at least there is some solace in our club teams Dave, oh wait furious

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:12 pm

You actually beat Argentina on your own though didn't you...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:16 pm

Personally it should be done away with I believe. Nothing beats the suspense of waitig for a decision, especially during a close fight. Plus the effect it has on a boxer could be damaging during the fight.

In germany everyone knows the scores per round even before the fight anyway so its meaningless there.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:22 pm

I think the theory of it is sound enough as long as they dont announce it after every round. Announcing it after the 4th round and then again in the 8th round I think makes more sense.

In general, a one sided fight is going to be apparent to both fighters and their corners anyhow. I dont think Peter needed an announcement to inform him he was way behind for instance. His corner knew he hadnt won a round.

But if after 8 they announce it and its close then it gives both fighters incentive to try and really go for the last few rounds to get the win. It also doesnt rob the audience of the suspense at the end as they know the fight can still go either way.

If they announce it any later than 8 rounds then it has the potential to cause spoiling and effectively be reading out the result early.

Either announce it twice (4th + 8th) or once (6th). That way the positives are maximise and weaknesses minimised.

I wonder if many bouts ould have gone down differently had they employed scoring in running?

Im thinking if fights like Conn v Louis, De la Hoya v Trinidad, Hagler v Leonard and so on. Would the scoring have changed anything?

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:27 pm

Wouldn't have changed a thing!!!

conn got carried away after rocking Louis and still needed to win at least a round anyway..

Leonard-Hagler's fight had already found it's pace and by the ninth Hagler couldn't really up it..

As with the other fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

With Oscar winning the first eight rounds, it may have proved difficult to give Trinidad the fight just because Oscar got on his bike for the final three.

Of course, maybe maths is different overseas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down