The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo

+41
The Great Aukster
Taffineastbourne
fa0019
Dubbelyew L Overate
tecphobe
pete (buachaill on eirne)
mrsuperclear
Feckless Rogue
nathan
EnglishReign
clalan
monty junior
LeinsterFan4life
Hound_of_Harrow
TJ1
Cardiff Dave
Kingshu
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
Croyman
kingelderfield
Biltong
HERSH
asoreleftshoulder
trebellbobaggins
slartibartfast
Coleman
IanBru
maestegmafia
HongKongCherry
gowales
HammerofThunor
Artful_Dodger
CurlyOsp
3rdGrandslamCame
LondonTiger
toml
SecretFly
Pot Hale
tomhughesnice
Jenifer McLadyboy
45 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo Empty 3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 08 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

Discuss.........

PS. Leinster have to play the other 3 top teams in Europe, 3 weeks in a row.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo Empty Re: 3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo

Post by tomhughesnice Sun 08 Apr 2012, 3:52 pm

Urm, well observed? What else is there to discuss?

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo Empty Re: 3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

You could put 'nyah, nyah, na, nyah na' at the end of the title, I suppose.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:10 pm

'nah, nah, nan, nah, nah' is how we probably pronounce it Wink

Anyway, two of them are Irish....still; which is much sweeter than Rabo representation actually. But no, I won't do the 'nah, nah' bit.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

SecretFly wrote:'nah, nah, nan, nah, nah' is how we probably pronounce it Wink

Anyway, two of them are Irish....still; which is much sweeter than Rabo representation actually. But no, I won't do the 'nah, nah' bit.

Next we'll probably hear "four of the five teams left have an Irishman involved"

At which point, I'll reach for the bucket..... Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

Well I wasn't actually expecting a discussion. But don't you get a pain in your hoop listening to what a shyte league it is, and how it will never amount to anything. (Even from posters who support a team in it sometimes)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sun 08 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

If sarries pull off a win then 3/4 would have an Irish coach. Pity we still have a Poopie national coach

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

toml wrote:If sarries pull off a win then 3/4 would have an Irish coach. Pity we still have a Poopie national coach

Alex King is assistant coach at Clermont - so there will be some English representation in the semis.

Right where is that straw clutching smiley?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Sun 08 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

Just goes to show the Rabo is the best league in Europe.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

3rdGrandslamCame wrote:Just goes to show the Rabo is the best league in Europe.

Nope, shows they have some of the best teams in Europe. After all, Spain have 2 teams in the footie European semis - not many claim that makes it the best league in Europe.

If i was feeling mean spirited, I could say it works very well as a development league rather than a competitive league in it's own right. As i am not - i shall just say it is different.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

Well at least you could say there's two British-based teams who've made it through to the semis. Wink
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

Ah yes I am a UK citizen. I am UKish Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

The team that are second from bottom in the Rabo are one of the best 4 in Europe. Must be the best league in Europe then.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Well at least you could say there's two British-based teams who've made it through to the semis. Wink

One of them is only partly British-based. Ulster is an Irish Province not a political region of Britain. A map will explain it. Some of Ulster makes up Northern Ireland (the political bit that is British administered) and some of it is in the Republic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

Lets not go down that road fella's.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Lets not go down that road fella's.

It's important that education continues outside the classroom. Knowledge is power Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

It just goes to prove that the PRO12 unfairly allows their teams to focus on the HEC. They really need to change the structure

3 of the 4 top teams in Europe are from the Rabo 3933776953

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

CurlyOsp wrote:The team that are second from bottom in the Rabo are one of the best 4 in Europe. Must be the best league in Europe then.

No, that shows that playing in a non relegation league means Edinburgh can fully focus on the HC. If Clermont for instance were second from bottom in the Top 14, you sure as hell wouldn't see a full strength team playing.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:49 pm

Ring fencing time for the Aviva and Top14 no doubt.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

I think relegation and promotion really adds to the Aviva and Top 14, i hope they don't ring fence their leagues and i can't see it happening.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Ring fencing time for the Aviva and Top14 no doubt.

It's not ring fencing that's needed, just let every side qualify for the HC
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:58 pm

You say that as thought HC spots are allocated to leagues rather than countries - they arent - deal with it.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

By the way it wouldn't matter if you had 11 teams in the Heineken they'd still all be out - you had one team in the quarters out of 7, why do you think you'd have more if another 4 weak teams were added?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

Still doesn't change the fact that the Pro 12 itself is a crap league Dodger. Top 14 and Aviva are on the way up, i'm not to sure they really give a damn.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

gowales wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the Pro 12 itself is a crap league Dodger. Top 14 and Aviva are on the way up, i'm not to sure they really give a damn.

Can't really take that comment seriously - if the top14 and aviva are on the way up why are their best teams getting destroyed in europe?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

Th Aviva is practically ring fenced by the wealthier clubs only wanting clubs of a like mind in the premiership. London welsh and Cornish pirates for example are not allowed promotion even if they win the championship.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

I'm just looking forward to three Scottish teams in the HC next year...

Melrose, anyone?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:04 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
gowales wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that the Pro 12 itself is a crap league Dodger. Top 14 and Aviva are on the way up, i'm not to sure they really give a damn.

Can't really take that comment seriously - if the top14 and aviva are on the way up why are their best teams getting destroyed in europe?

Because the top 14 and aviva are making money and their crowds are going up. Pro 12 sides on the whole are not doing this. Didn't you hear that Aironi has gone bust?

For example, not many German football sides go far in the Champions league but the Bundesliga is one of the best run and supported leagues in the world.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:04 pm

I'm talking to England fans on the 606 FB page right now- they think increasing the number of teams to 14 in the Aviva and then ring fencing is the answer - again I cant see how 4 more English teams would make any difference, the top English teams simply arent good enough, so why would those ranked 7-11 in the Aviva make any difference?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:06 pm

gowales wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

Because the top 14 and aviva are making money and their crowds are going up. Pro 12 sides on the whole are not doing this. Didn't you hear that Aironi has gone bust?

For example, not many German football sides go far in the Champions league but the Bundesliga is one of the best run and supported leagues in the world.

Actually the provinces crowds and accounts are great, Edinburgh have made into the HC semi's sounds like cause the Welsh regions arent cutting it you want to throw the toys out of the pram.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:06 pm

Scotland can sell it and use the money towards paying off the debt they're in. :-x

Last edited by Coleman on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:07 pm

I don't think anyone' proposing increasing the English teams are they? I thought it was about making qualification for Pro 12 sides based on their league positions

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:09 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I'm talking to England fans on the 606 FB page right now- they think increasing the number of teams to 14 in the Aviva and then ring fencing is the answer - again I cant see how 4 more English teams would make any difference, the top English teams simply arent good enough, so why would those ranked 7-11 in the Aviva make any difference?

They'd replace the Irish provinces Wink
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:09 pm

Actually someone above just said they just need all the clubs in the Aviva to qualify for the HC - but seriously, what the hell difference is knocking a few teams out of the HC going to make?

If you wouldnt replace them with English and French clubs, why would you want to change the format of the HC to 18 clubs say?

Doesnt make any sense, Edinburgh beat Toulouse yet according to you they dont deserve to be in the Heineken based on their league position?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Actually someone above just said they just need all the clubs in the Aviva to qualify for the HC - but seriously, what the hell difference is knocking a few teams out of the HC going to make?

If you wouldnt replace them with English and French clubs, why would you want to change the format of the HC to 18 clubs say?

Doesnt make any sense, Edinburgh beat Toulouse yet according to you they dont deserve to be in the Heineken based on their league position?

Well i'd like it because it would give a bit more meaning to the Pro 12. You can bet your bottom dollar that Edinburgh will be playing a 3rd string side in the Pro 12 for the rest of the season now.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm

Hmmm the rest of the season being 2 games.

Again what you are saying could destroy the HC - it could mean no Scottish or Italian sides in a particular season - disaster for European rugby and growing the game.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
gowales wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

Actually the provinces crowds and accounts are great, Edinburgh have made into the HC semi's sounds like cause the Welsh regions arent cutting it you want to throw the toys out of the pram.

No, not at all. I know the Irish sides are doing great, that's pretty obvious, but look at the rest. Yay a Scottish side have gone through to the Semi's for the first time in their history, still doesn't change the fact that they'll be playing front of an empty stadium in their other games.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:22 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Hmmm the rest of the season being 2 games.

Again what you are saying could destroy the HC - it could mean no Scottish or Italian sides in a particular season - disaster for European rugby and growing the game.

I reckon a season in the Amlin could be really good for an Italian or Scottish side

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Th Aviva is practically ring fenced by the wealthier clubs only wanting clubs of a like mind in the premiership. London welsh and Cornish pirates for example are not allowed promotion even if they win the championship.

Actually they can if they develop their infrastructure to a suitable level. It's to stop a rich backer from buying in players that are unsustainable for the long term. This should result in sides like Exeter getting to the Premiership [those requirements are also set by the RFU not the clubs]. The Pirates are currently working on it and are trying to get a Cornish stadium built to meet the criteria.

The clubs generally want ring-fencing (of course they would). The RFU doesn't want it because it allows any club to develop themselves up to the top level. I've said before that I'd prefer something like the league franchise system although that peed a lot of people off.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:34 pm

Yup Pirates are trying to get the stadium sorted, going through planning at the moment. Could well happen and give them the ground they need to push forwards.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 08 Apr 2012, 7:58 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I'm talking to England fans on the 606 FB page right now- they think increasing the number of teams to 14 in the Aviva and then ring fencing is the answer - again I cant see how 4 more English teams would make any difference, the top English teams simply arent good enough, so why would those ranked 7-11 in the Aviva make any difference?

You're missing the point, its not about extra teams its about having the ability to rest players in league games without the fear of not qualifying for next season's HC, and with ring fencing without the fear of relegation.

There is no argument that the English sides just weren't good enough this year, but surely the best league is gauged by how many people pay to watch it, along with TV revenue?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

On the revenues side, why are the French sides so wealthy?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:

You're missing the point, its not about extra teams its about having the ability to rest players in league games without the fear of not qualifying for next season's HC, and with ring fencing without the fear of relegation.

There is no argument that the English sides just weren't good enough this year, but surely the best league is gauged by how many people pay to watch it, along with TV revenue?

Why would that be the gauge?The English and French leagues will always have higher viewing numbers and tv money purely because the populations in those countries are so much bigger than the Rabo teams although the Italians may change that some day in the very distant future.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

It just goes to show what can be achieved when clubs can afford to rest players for meaningless games.

But well played to Leinster, Edinburgh and Ulster. OK
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:12 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:On the revenues side, why are the French sides so wealthy?
Wealthy private backers, big tv money, huge attendences, good economy, massive advertising money.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

HERSH wrote:It just goes to show what can be achieved when clubs can afford to rest players for meaningless games.

But well played to Leinster, Edinburgh and Ulster. OK

Don't see how that makes any difference our sides can do whatever they want outside the HC.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

yeah, the popularity of rugby is massive there isn't it. Eng can't come close to matching that. Wales can though, Cornwall could do if we got behind one side.

If France could translate it to their senior team they should win world cups and dominate Europe.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:

Hmmm so because England have a population of 60 million and many more viewers therefore, the league is better than Ireland who have a population of 6 million, despite 2 Irish teams in the semi finals to Englands zero??

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:22 pm

eng would def benefit from teams guaranteed europe like Ireland so they can rest key players more.

players playing in less sides has to be good too.

Ireland have really shown what can be done with good management and development of players even with a smaller base.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:39 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Hmmm so because England have a population of 60 million and many more viewers therefore, the league is better than Ireland who have a population of 6 million, despite 2 Irish teams in the semi finals to Englands zero??

Your talking about which league has the best sides, but that doesn't mean the league is better. The AP has competitive games throughout, the Rabo doesn't. The Rabo has some excellent sides, but it also has some very poor sides too.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next