The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust

+7
Cardiff Dave
Comfort
formerly known as Sam
Kingshu
Coleman
Artful_Dodger
pioden gorllewin
11 posters

Go down

Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust  Empty Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am

Benoît Bourrust
Position: Tighthead prop
DOB: 16/06/1985 (26)

The Cardiff Blues have signed French tighthead prop Benoît Bourrust from Perpignan in an attempt to bolster their front row for next season according to Rugbyrama.

After Perpignan decided they would release Bourrust at the end of the season, he due to sign for the imminently promoted Pro D2 side Grenoble, but the agreement has fallen through and he is now set to join the Cardiff Blues who are entering a phase of rebuilding in their squad.

Bourrust got little game time as third choice tighthead prop behind Nicolas Mas and Kisi Pulu at Perpignan, and also at his previous clubs Biarritz and Sale. So joining the Cardiff Blues should be a big opportunity for him to prove himself as more than just a reserve. If he can't manage to get good game time at the Blues then he may never do at the top level.

There were previous rumours that Tongan prop Taufa'ao Filise may be leaving next season, and with Bourrust set to sign it would add to those rumours. Bourrust should challenge Welsh international Scott Andrews for the starting tighthead prop position next season.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust  Empty Re: Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 am

Sign of how bad Blue's situation is that they are bringing in a third choice tighthead to be their starting tightead.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust  Empty Re: Cardiff Blues sign French prop Benoît Bourrust

Post by Coleman Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:07 am

Covered this in the Blues Meltdown thread a bit. See how he does in Pre-Season.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 am

bet the French papers are making a fuss about the French exodus of players to Wales

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

Artful, that's third choice at a French team with one of the best tightheads in Europe (Mas) ahead of him in the pecking order. The French love having two or three class front rows so I wouldn't imagine he is that bad. Tigers picked up Marcos Ayerza as a 23/24 year old semi-pro player in Argentina so it's not about the big name.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

Even still Sam, this seems like a punt rather than signing a player who you know brings quality - not that I want to be too negative.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah it probably is but he must have some ability to have been around the clubs he has, he might have failed to kick on so far but if you need a tighthead he might be a decent punt. He's at an age where he should be peaking so if the coaches can get something out of him he should be able to do a job for you boys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:25 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Yeah it probably is but he must have some ability to have been around the clubs he has, he might have failed to kick on so far but if you need a tighthead he might be a decent punt. He's at an age where he should be peaking so if the coaches can get something out of him he should be able to do a job for you boys.

Sam, i was thinking this, until I remembered who our coaches are.

No doubt he'll be a decent club-level tighthead who'll hold up a scrum but not add that much else around the park.

Its a pretty deperessing signing as a blues fan that all this talk of keeping costs low, letting so much welsh talent go abroad, then signing a reserve french prop.

Its not so much the player thats depressing, just that so far, only Jason Tovey is good signing as far as im concerned considering where we are as a club.

Hopefully he can help teach Scott Andrews to scrummage though, as you say, the French like their scrummaging props and lets be honest the coaches probably thought they'd be able to spend more time having jokes with Hewitt/Gavin Evans if they got someone in who could teach Andrews how to prop.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 am

Cardiff Blues sign a THP, must be a wind up surely?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

We've actually signed a player??? I'm in shock ...

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 pm

we need to sack a couple of coaches
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Cardiff Blues sign a THP, must be a wind up surely?

That's what I thought.

He has a decent number of starts in the top14 which is a tough scrummaging league - so he must be a decent scrummager.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Blueschief wrote:We've actually signed a player??? I'm in shock ...

As it is a THP you might want to see a doctor in case you are having a heart attack.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Blueschief wrote:We've actually signed a player??? I'm in shock ...

Have a lie down. Worked for me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RC13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 pm

From what i have seen he is very Average, needs a very good Lock behind him, lets hope they use him like Leinster use Mike Ross (another ordinary player), A lot Better than Scott Andrews, should start next season.

RC13

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm

RC13 wrote:From what i have seen he is very Average, needs a very good Lock behind him, lets hope they use him like Leinster use Mike Ross (another ordinary player), A lot Better than Scott Andrews, should start next season.

An "Average" THP at the Cardiff Blues - WOW, all my dreams have come true! Its taken 12 years, but the day has finally come.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am

Nurse!!

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down