The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow)

+28
hugo124
Pot Hale
PJHolybloke
Rory_Gallagher
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
Imperialbigdave
Irishhoneymonster
GLove39
tecphobe
asoreleftshoulder
21st Century Schizoid Man
Notch
eirebilly
Shauna784
rodders
LeinsterFan4life
Gibson
MrsP
Jenifer McLadyboy
pete (buachaill on eirne)
BoyneRFC
SecretFly
funnyExiledScot
Mickado
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
32 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 Empty Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow)

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Well it's back to the PRO12 after a fantastic weekend for bothe Edinburgh and Leinster in the ERC.

It's Friday the 13th tomorrow too good for Edinburgh or Leinster chin

Edinburgh Team :

15 Tom Brown
14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Tim Visser
10 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
9 Chris Leck

1 Kyle Traynor
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Esteban Lozada
5 Sean Cox
6 Stuart McInally
7 Roddy Grant
8 Netani Talei

Substitutes
16 Andrew Kelly
17 Robin Hislop
18 Jack Gilding
19 Grant Gilchrist
20 David Denton
21 Ross Rennie
22 Phil Godman
23 Jim Thompson

Not our strongest team but competative none the less. I can only assume Chunk is being rested after all the greggs stickky toffee puddings he scranned after successfuly drawing all those penalties from Toulouse.

The Backs look dangeorus but I worry for our front row. Our backrow will be good too.

Black & Red army
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow)

Post by MrsP Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:As an Edinburgh fan, Its great were doing well in the cup and all, but that was pure stevewalsh. Totally unacceptable, that was about 2/3rds of a first choice team, yet they looked like they could be arsed. smacks of a lack of professionalism.

Imp!

I'm sure there was a huge carry over from the weekend, both physically and mentally. Edinburgh had nothing to gain from that match at all. Tough to get themselves up for a dead rubber, no?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow)

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm

Missed the game. I'll try and download it during the week. I think that's the third time we've scored 50+ points this season. What a team.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm

Ibd,

that was a real 'Andy Robinson' if I ever saw one !!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

Sorry Gibbo!

Can't read!

Again!

I think they have changed the rules though and have decided, in the interests of attacking rugby, to make the leading try scoring team winners!

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:08 pm

I was listening to myself involuntarily laughing out loud at points in that game - in a room on my own. I only do that when I'm in awe and it doesn't happen often in a year. Absolutely beautiful rugby at times - sublime stuff.

I had a feeling there was enough incentive in that game for the guys to turn it on if they got a foothold.

Edinburgh might very well have their sights on a different prize (as Schmidt alluded to) but they still didn't come expecting or planning for that result (as Bradley alluded to). Did they play badly? My perspective is that they simply played Leinster with tails up.

A long way to go of course. No counting chickens for me but based on pure entertainment, this Leinster side under Schmidt is more than enough for the time being.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Missed the game. I'll try and download it during the week. I think that's the third time we've scored 50+ points this season. What a team.

Was an exhibition match Feckless. Should have been 70pts plus as has been said. McFadden missed a rake of pens and convs. But was excellent in attack. Worth a watch.

Madigan was given the kicking when it was well safe to. He had a brilliant game. As did Jenno. As did Toner. As did Cronin. As did Strauss.

All vying for HC starts and by contrast, it was obvious Edinburgh were in safe mode.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

I heard Tana Umaga is shortlisted for new Munster coach. That would add a bit of spice to the derby day.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:I heard Tana Umaga is shortlisted for new Munster coach. That would add a bit of spice to the derby day.
Whats he done coaching wise? They could do worse than getting Brian Mclauglin involved

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10798710

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

The thing about Leinster is they aren't even playing as well as they can atm.. they still seem stuck in second gear at times, but still score tries for fun. They just ooze class. Kidney, please take some tips from Schmidt on how to coach a rugby team in the modern game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

madigan....wow what a player, id be surprised if the french clubs arent lining up to buy him. hope we can hold onto him.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:madigan....wow what a player, id be surprised if the french clubs arent lining up to buy him. hope we can hold onto him.

Didn't he say he's signed for another 2 years?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm

ye i heard that, didnt know it was confirmed...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm

seemed caught by sudden emotion when he said it too...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

ye?... whys that?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:13 pm

don't know for sure...just seemed to get a little surge of emotion when he talked of pride in playing for Leinster (maybe relief) ... he knocked it back again quickly but I caught it. I suppose it's natural. It really is a side that players want to play for.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:17 pm

tecphobe wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:I heard Tana Umaga is shortlisted for new Munster coach. That would add a bit of spice to the derby day.
Whats he done coaching wise? They could do worse than getting Brian Mclauglin involved

Oi! Hands off!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm

if madigan doesnt go to NZ ill be organising a protest myself to have deccie sacked with immediate effect!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:don't know for sure...just seemed to get a little surge of emotion when he talked of pride in playing for Leinster (maybe relief) ... he knocked it back again quickly but I caught it. I suppose it's natural. It really is a side that players want to play for.

So true. It warms the cockles of me cold blue heart. So much talent and wants to stay, fight for his place and win silverware with his home club. A la BOD. Yes, he is most definitely signed up for another 2 years.

The more game time he gets - the better he gets. Sexton and he, will be No. 1 and 2 for Irish standoff before long. Luxury - when you think back just 3 years.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm

Now on: Old Grey Whistle Test Lynyrd Skynyrd Freebird. Groovy night all round Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:57 pm

Freebird. Be a great Leinster theme song.

But, this is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8UoUXmKH_A

I'd like this one... every time we score a try. Imagine the royalties?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEhDrJzM8E

Jeezuz its boring at the Top.

Nice tho. guinness zen

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:05 am

surprised mcfadden missed so many kicks he usually never misses,oh well he still played well

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:18 am

Yeah fan. He had the yips. Missed as many kicks in 60 mins, as he has all season. Happens. But his general play was superb. Great to have so many kickers in the squad. Kearney, Sexton, Isa, McFadden and soon - Madigan.

Madigan is a roide. Id have him at 13. He's got most of the attributes. He's not big, but man he is fast, strong, smart and cool-headed. Just like BOD in fact.

Think about it. Sexton will not give way easy. Love to see Madigan tried in the centre.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:32 am

Massive game in the Rabo, a total indictment of the inherent competetive nature that the structure of the Rabo league demands.

Honest. Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 590675
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:42 am

yes id love to see madigan at 13 but i think his best postion is 10 because of his passing abilitiy

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:45 am

Laugh guinness

Nah PJ. We're just that good.

Honest guv.

It was different priorities and a very strong 2nd string from Leinster. Thought Edinburgh would have given more fight. No better prep. But hey, Bradley has got them to a HC SF. Wins that one and everyone forgets the Rabo.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:51 am

I don't think 13 would suit Madigan at all personally.. 10 is his position, he could become great there.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

Gibson wrote: Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 810156456 Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 1145808659

Nah PJ. We're just that good.

Honest guv.

It was different priorities and a very strong 2nd string from Leinster. Thought Edinburgh would have given more fight. No better prep. But hey, Bradley has got them to a HC SF. Wins that one and everyone forgets the Rabo.

Yeah, well Barf lost again, so I'm the current embodiment of total pain.

T'would be rude of me not to buy you a Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 1145808659 on your entirely worthy victory though; slainte.

Incidentally, my current angst is leading me down an artistic path of doubt, passion and pure, red-mist anger, I'll be starting your Weller next week so it might be a good one... Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 177851
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:01 am

He is a great controller. Will be a great 10 in time. Just like to see him tried in the centre, in the PRO12. Why not?

It will be some struggle between them next season. Madigan knows it's a huge challenge, but has said he wants it and would not shy away from it when re-signing. He wants Sextons shirt. So confident.

Reddan & Boss. Cronin & Strauss. O Malley & BOD. Darcy & McFadden. Sexton & Madigan. O Brien/Jennings/Dom Ryan. Auav'a and Heaslip. I can see a patteren here. Toner is upping it big time too. Thorn is having an effect on him it seems.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:02 am

If ever there was an example of why the Pro12 needs more competition, this match was it.

Abject display by Edinburgh in their own league. A league in which they are meant to compete.

Note to Declan kidney: don't ever think of relying on McFadden for the clutch kicks. Woeful performance from the tee.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:05 am

In all fairness Pot, he was close to 90% success-rate before tonight. Just got the yips. Badly.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:13 am

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 1890400415 The Rabo is shoite and essentially serves as a nursery for the provinces who are doing quite well out of it, the rest of the "teams" in there are largely gash or borderline bankrupt.

Edinburgh Vs Leinster (tomorrow) - Page 3 1145808659 Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged wimmin'.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:12 am

Absolutely awful from Edinburgh. Pathetic. Good teams play well week in week out, not just one off games.

These guys are professionals who are paid to play - that was just not acceptable.

I hope Bradely went absolutely mental at full time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Completely agree RDW. The league form is a big caveat to the season, regardless of what happens in the HC. Totally useless. That wasn't far off a 1st XV. Well played Leinster. Edinburgh - you should be ashamed.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

If any embra fan had gone across for that, then i understand fully if they want their money back. Its one thing to get cuffed, another to be so clearly not bothered about it, the players body language during breaks in play said it all. If these guys were trying to stay safe for the SF, then the second choicers shouldve gone out. They porbably wouldve got cuffed too, but at least theyd have something to fight for.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Right I have to burst Leinsters bubble a bit here and point out a few negatives I spotted last night.

Firstly Gordon D'arcy stood out like a sore thumb amongst the young dynamos around him. He is a shadow of the player he was. His pace is gone and his skills are average. Hes a sad sight.

Fergus McFadden had a cracking game but his poor defensive skills were exposed again. His tackling technique is very poor and often gets his head on the wrong side hence his tendency to get bumped off by big men and his reading off the attack is poor. This is a shame because he has a lot of other fine attributes as a player.

Fionn Carr is not up to this level. Bags of pace and a great finisher but every other aspect of his game is substandard.

Other than that loads of positives for Leinster (and Ireland). Leinster are the best team in the NH imo, at any level and Joe Schmidt must be the best coach on the planet.

Madigan is pure class and his lightening pace scares the life out of defences. Sexton was awesome last week but Madigan is getting better by the game.

Toner has improved out of sight and looks fantastic when he gets the ball in space and Kearney JR looks like he could be even better than his bro. Boss had a cracking game too.

Jennings looked good too. Very underrated and classy player. Nacewa is a god amongst men.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

Never seen Madigan playing in a game where they had to grind out the win.I fear that he would loose his composure and crumble.He is not a great reader of the game either.In various points of the match, Leinster did a set move off the scrum and in turn it gave Madigan a choice of who to pass it to.In a couple of instances, he gave it to the decoy man instead of looking at the bundles of space outside, thus ruining the move.My opinion, not an outhalf.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

hugo124 wrote:Never seen Madigan playing in a game where they had to grind out the win.I fear that he would loose his composure and crumble.He is not a great reader of the game either.In various points of the match, Leinster did a set move off the scrum and in turn it gave Madigan a choice of who to pass it to.In a couple of instances, he gave it to the decoy man instead of looking at the bundles of space outside, thus ruining the move.My opinion, not an outhalf.

Its the same with most outhalfs. He just has to learn to manage the game in those situations.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:06 pm

While we're being "constructive"...

Would someone get the hold of McFadden and corect his running style, please!

He would be even faster if someone would teach him a more biomechanically efficient sprint technique.

So much power going to waste.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

I think with his pace he could perhaps be a really good centre. Not sure how good his defence is though and he's not that big.

That said I wouldn't say he's not a fly-half. He had a hand in a number of the tries last night. I think he's a fantastic player.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

How do you mean Mrs P? Should he be more upright?

I'd rather he was taught how to tackle first.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

No rodders, it's his legs. They are all over the place.

Watch his try from last night if you can find it and you'll see what I mean.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

MrsP, Biomechanically a bumble bee shouldnt be able to fly.

McFadden does run very unusually, but so does Felix Jones, and Michael Johnson was as odd as they come. Whatever works for ya, no?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

Possibly Bikkies.

I just think he would be faster if less energy was wasted. You really want all the movement to be in one plane and his feet are all over the place.

Johnston running action looked weird but it was very efficient.

Just something I noticed last night is all. I suppose I get used to watching for stuff like that.

Did you enjoy the match then?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:59 pm

You're probably right, you're the athletics buff. Smile

Very enjoyable match, Edinburgh were very poor but I'm glad we made them pay. Thought Carr was playing for his place in the squad next year, really impressed with him.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

Sometimes you see the quality of Madigan's passing and you think he could be a scrumhalf.

I wonder are D'arcy days as a 1st team player soon numbered now that O'Driscoll is back.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

Darcy doesn't need to worry about making the Leinster first team, sure Kidney will still pick him for Ireland anyway!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

Madigan should be left to challenge Sexton for the 10 shirt. Think how good of a half back partnership Leinster/Ireland might have if McGrath lives up to his potential. Two players with the potential to become world class, with Murray/Sexton also.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

Just rewatching it here on Setanta.

As Gibbo might say "rugby pron"

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

If you think that was good Bikkies you should have a wee look at the tries we ran in against them!

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next