The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012

+16
owen10ozzy
lorus59
The Special Juan
dublfcynwa
ReallyReal
Rowley
sodhat
88Chris05
Doon the Water
Dx Dan.
Small Time
Thomond
MBTGOG
Crimey
GG
Duty281
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012 Empty 10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:38 pm

1) Expectation. The stifling expectation which has covered England in near-enough every tournament will be absent this time around as pundits and the media expect nothing of England. With this expectation lifted, England will play with a freedom not seen before.

2) Wayne Rooney. Wayne Rooney is the second top scorer in the best league in the World. Ergo, Wayne Rooney is the second best striker in the World. Missing the first 2 games will give him a hunger not seen since Euro 2004 and with this he will fire England to European glory and bring back memories of Geoff Hurst.

3) The manager will be English. This English manager (whoever he is) will be a passionate, down-to-earth bloke who wants to win. Not some cold continental chap who's only in it for the money, eh Fabio?

4) 12th Man. English fans are the best in the World and they'll be over 50,000 of them at the Euros, giving England a vital lift.

5) We love playing away. No not in that way but in the way that our away record is far superior to our home record. Again, pressure lifted.

6) The new guard. Many new players have surfaced for their country since the horror show that was Bloemfontein. Scott Parker, Joe Hart, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Jack Wilshere, Chris Smalling and Kyle Walker. This lot carry no previous baggage of failings at previous tournaments, their fresh and proud to play for their country. They're all pretty decent as well.

7) We have a World-Class Keeper. Who isn't David James. We finally have someone reliable between the sticks, who we can trust. Joe Hart is World-Class.

8) The opposition are floundering. Lest we forget, France and Italy had worse World Cups than us last time around. Spain are beatable, Holland are too negative and the Germans are soulless. Portugal struggled in qualifying.

9) Miracles are possible. As Greece will tell you at Euro 2004.

10) We are England And that statement alone should give you enough belief. We are England, stiff upper-lip, patriotic and proud! Plus we invented the bloody game!

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012 Empty Re: 10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012

Post by GG Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:40 pm

I really hope this is written with tongue firmly in cheek. If England get to the quarters you should be happy.

GG

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012 Empty Re: 10 Reasons why England will win Euro 2012

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

If England get to the semis I will be happy. Tongue in cheek? Nope.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

1) Expectation. The stifling expectation which has covered England in near-enough every tournament will be absent this time around as pundits and the media expect nothing of England. With this expectation lifted, England will play with a freedom not seen before.

One good game and that expectation will immediately resurface.

2) Wayne Rooney. Wayne Rooney is the top scorer in the best league in the World. Ergo, Wayne Rooney is the best striker in the World. Missing the first 2 games will give him a hunger not seen since Euro 2004 and with this he will fire England to European glory and bring back memories of Geoff Hurst.

Van Persie is the top scorer, and Rooney won't have the excellent service of Antonio Valencia with England. And those two games without him could easily put us out of the tournament.

3) The manager will be English. This English manager (whoever he is) will be a passionate, down-to-earth bloke who wants to win. Not some cold continental chap who's only in it for the money, eh Fabio?

There's no guarantee they will be English, and no evidence to suggest they will be better. Fabio Capello had an excellent record.

4) 12th Man. English fans are the best in the World and they'll be over 50,000 of them at the Euros, giving England a vital lift.

And booing them when things don't go their way ala the World Cup...

5) We love playing away. No not in that way but in the way that our away record is far superior to our home record. Again, pressure lifted.

That doesn't seem to have helped us before.

6) The new guard. Many new players have surfaced for their country since the horror show that was Bloemfontein. Scott Parker, Joe Hart, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Jack Wilshere, Chris Smalling and Kyle Walker. This lot carry no previous baggage of failings at previous tournaments, their fresh and proud to play for their country. They're all pretty decent as well.

But other nations have experienced guys on the back of years of success who are also "pretty decent". I know who I'd rather have.

7) We have a World-Class Keeper. Who isn't David James. We finally have someone reliable between the sticks, who we can trust. Joe Hart is World-Class.

So do Spain, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.

8) The opposition are floundering. Lest we forget, France and Italy had worse World Cups than us last time around. Spain are beatable, Holland are too negative and the Germans are soulless. Portugal struggled in qualifying.

France and Italy are both unrecognisable from those teams. Spain are very strong in tournaments. Netherlands have some of the most exciting attacking players in the world and while they were negative against Spain they wouldn't have to be against most teams. I don't even know what 'soulless' is supposed to mean. Portugal did struggle and are unlikely to get out of their group so aren't a threat.

9) Miracles are possible. As Greece will tell you at Euro 2004.

We're unlikely to go for such a pragmatic approach.

10) We are England And that statement alone should give you enough belief. We are England, stiff upper-lip, patriotic and proud! Plus we invented the bloody game!

Hasn't helped us in the past.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

I've edited number 2 Crimey, ta for pointing it out. As for no.10, "hasn't helped us in the past" - well, in the past we've been robbed by dodgy referees time and time again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

I can actually see England making the semis. There really isn't that same expectation as there has been in years before which I believe does bode well.

Plus, I think as long as a lot of the old heads are kept out of the side, there is some real quality there if a little inexperienced at this level but sometimes that can help.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:19 pm

England probably have the second easiest group. I couldn't see them beating France, but they will get at least 6/7 points. They have some very good footballers, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wilshere and Rooney are key. Rooney being out will tell a lot. Not having a manager this close seems insane though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Doesn't point 10 contradicted point 1?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Sun 15 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

'Oxlade Chamberlain, Wilshere and Rooney are key.' - Chamberlain unfortunately probably won't even make the plane, Wilshere has been ruled out through injury and Rooney is missing the first two games through suspension. Wrong choice of players to name as 'key' I'd say Hart, Cole and Parker are key.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 15 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

I used to be able to name all the England team players and which team they played for but since the EPL sold it's soul to overseas mercineries I struggle to recognise half the team.
I could probably name more Spanish team players.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

A seriously misguided article, I'm afraid, and pretty much what sums up all which is wrong with some England supporters these days. Delusional at best, simply mad at worst.

Using the theory outlined in the article, wasn't Rooney also the second best striker in the world going in to the 2010 World Cup, too? Would that account for his sterling performances, boat load of goals and stack of memorable moments in that tournament, then? Even if Rooney does live up to his billing (and seldom do we see an England player do that), we're without him for the first two games.

Where are the goals going to come from? Defoe has been largely out of favour this season, not ideal preparation. Welbeck is a good Premiership player, but can't lead the line on his own and is hardly pushing the world class envelope.

The thing is, I think you're bang on with your point about Jones, Smalling, Walker etc being 'decent.' That's the problem right there. They are decent, but decent players, barring the odd miracle here and there, don't win international tournaments. As ever, the ridiculous hype surrounding any young-ish player from England has got the better of some, it seems. Go back a decade and the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Owen, Joe Cole etc were similar ages. That particular 'golden generation' never even came close to winning an international tournament - and I'd take that bunch over their 2012 equivalents any day of the week.

Ah yes, but of course. England have always been a truly outstanding unit, and have only been unfairly denied by the rank injustices of corrupt referees and cheating opposition. Nothing to do with the other sides just being better than us, I presume?

To think that this current group of players can get anywhere near winning a tournament of this nature is ridiculous. Of course, a huge weight of evidence supporting this will naturally be thrown out of the window by some who still believe, for some odd reason, that we're still one of the major forces of world football (primarily due to a load of foreign players making the so-called 'English' league the "best in the world") despite our record on the biggest stages of all since 1966 being no better than serviceable for a nation who invented the sport.

In short, I'm not looking forward to another torrent of "this is our year, it's destiny" when there is absolutely nothing to back it up, I'm dreading the usual excuses of how we were "robbed" which will inevitably crop up once we lose to a better side somewhere along the way, and I can barely even summon the strength to consider the usual "none of the players from (insert name of team which beats England here) would get in to our side" rubbish which will be spouted.

That said, it might be a little comical when one of the many England players who will doubtless look toothless and plainly average at Euro 2012 are being touted as "the best in the world in their position" by The Sun and the same deluded old fans by mid-October after having a couple of good games against Wigan Athletic and Norwich City.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

I like to think the author of this article is simply pastiching the 'England are the best' crew that seem to come out during tournament summers. If so, he's nailed it. He could write for The Sun!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Greece was not really a miracle, a collective unit who all understood a system of playing drilled into them by an organised and intelligent manager, England have none of these things in place. However when three of your ten reasons are Greece won so we might be able to, our fans are noisy and we invented the game one does have to suspect your own faith does not run as deep as the article would suggest.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:10 pm

Our only hope of winning the tournament is is to get every marginal decision in our favour, a few players to have the purplest patches of their careers and for us to get all the luck available on earth for that month.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

Take heed lads, Rooney's in form, Lamps is in form, our defence is looking sturdy and the manager's looking English! 2012 is the year of the Engerland!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

Laugh Here we go again. Semis at best.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 20 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

There is ALWAYS expectation on England. Besides, you'll get shredded in the group stage or at best, Germany.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

If England win the Euro's I will donate £200 to a charity of your choice Duty.

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

If England win it I'll change my username to "GG - total numpty, knows nothing, and worships at the feet of duty".

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

Done and done, Freekshow and GG. Hope you won't back out after 1st July 2012.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

Duty you have my word.

One of the Mods/Admins can make a note of this and I will send a cheque their way to then forward the brass to your chosen charity.

I hope I have to shell out in all honesty but I just can't see it happening myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

Will there really be 50,000 over there? From what I read, the ticket sales to England is way down on what was expected. I would bet if you asked the world who had the best fans, Ireland and Holland would be well ahead of England.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:25 pm

lorus59 wrote:Will there really be 50,000 over there? From what I read, the ticket sales to England is way down on what was expected. I would bet if you asked the world who had the best fans, Ireland and Holland would be well ahead of England.

Well there was expected to be well in excess of 100,000 but with the dodgy hotel prices and other issues, 50,000 is still a pretty conservative estimate.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

I will make this whole argument null and void just by looking at one point.

The youngsters: as already mentioned Wilshere isnt coming to the Euro's and Chamberlain wont be in the squad either.

In fact for all of the promise shown by our youngsters I have a sneeky feeling that the decent club form shown by the likes of Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard etc will see the old guard return for one last hurrah (and no doubt a failed one at that).

Do not be surprised to see a line up compromising of 75% of the team that played in South Africa.

For me this competition should be used as a platform to build for the next generation. I wouldnt even mind if we exited at the group stage. Lets give the youngsters a run out and allow them to gather some major international competition experience before Brazil comes round.

But then again that is where the 'catch 22' situation with our country and particularly the media rears its ugly head. Because if we did send the youngsters who have showed 'promise'....before they had even got out there that 'promise' would become expectation which would lead to hysteria and belief that we could win it with our 'exciting youngsters'. Then would come failure leading to hefty weight and burden which it brings being on the shoulders of these youngsters for the next 10 years! Sound familiar?!!

For me a good Euro 2012 would consist of a fresh young squad with the aim of getting out of the group stage and nothing more. And if we didnt make it out I wouldnt mind as long as we saw some good football and passion.

My squad:

Joe Hart, R.Green, J.Steele

A.Cole, K.Gibbs
P.Jones, C.Smalling,G.Cahill,
M.Richards,K.Walker,G.Johnson

A.Johnson, D.Sturridge
S.Parker, J.Milner, S.Gerrard
T.Walcott, A.Young, A-O-Chamberlain

W.Rooney, D.Welbeck, P.Crouch, A.Carrol

That squad provides some experience but more importantly plenty of pace, promise and versatility.

Walcott, Sturridge can both play as 2nd strikers if required. P Jones can come into the midfield in the holding role. M.Richards can play right back or Centre back.

With these players manager could switch between 4-4-2 (not my preference), 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 very easily.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

My squad for Euro 2012:

Joe Hart
Robert Green
Scott Carson

Ashley Cole
Leighton Baines
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry (if we can pick him)
Phil Jones
Chris Smalling
Glen Johnson
Kyle Walker

Daniel Sturridge
Adam Johnson
Scott Parker
James Milner
Steve Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Ashley Young
Oxlade Chamberlain

Wayne Rooney
Danny Welbeck
Darren Bent
Peter Crouch (although he probably won't get picked)

It may sound negative but I'd play a 4-5-1 counter-attacking formation with the first XI looking like this:

GK: Joe Hart
LB: Ashley Cole
CB: John Terry
CB: Phil Jones
RB: Kyle Walker
DM: Scott Parker
DM: Frank Lampard (But going forward when we have the ball)
LAM: Ashley Young
RAM: James Milner
Support Striker: Steve Gerrard (please not on the left this time!)
ST: Wayne Rooney (Darren Bent for the first two

So the 4-5-1 becomes a 4-1-4-1 when we have the ball.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:32 pm

Hmm duty I have to say your squad is exactly what I fear...

Terry....why? Granted he has started to show form in the past few months but he is getting on, makes a few more mistakes than he used to and to be honest just doesnt have the pace. The same goes for Rio....i may be slightly biased in my view because tbh I really dont rate the guy but he has far to many lapses in concentration, can be too cute on the ball for his own good and again lacks the pace if he is out of postion to recover.

As for Lampard!! Please god no...I could not care how good he is for Chelsea he simply does not perform for England. It has been nigh on 10 years and still people & frustratingly managers think this guy performs in an England shirt. Not only can he not perform but when he is in the team he seems to just stifle the whole of our own midfield. If he is anywhere near the team come 2012 I may even not watch!!

I agree with Milner as he is versatile but I wouldnt have him in the starting XI unless there were injuries. Again lacks the pace and if you play him out wide he doesnt have the concentration to keep tight to his man & watch for the overlaps. Case in point Germany in the World Cup.

But I fear you are probably closer to the starting XI than I am. I wouldnt be surprised to see the following come the opening game against France

: 4-5-1 formation

Hart
Johnson
Terry
Ferdinand
Cole
Walcott
Lampard
Gerrard
Parker
Barry/Milner
Bent/Carrol

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

I think Darren Bent is going to be injured by the time the Euros come around.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm

Why Terry? Coming into form, loves playing for the shirt and did very well against Barca on Wednesday. Why Rio? 1-0 up in the final with 15 minutes to go, if you have Rio on the bench he can add vital experience to shore up the defence. Why Frank? I'll be honest, I can't think of anyone, on paper, that is better. I would say have the Ox in the team but that may be too much of a gamble hence Milner in the team. I really hope we don't have Carroll, Walcott, Downing or Barry near the squad but we'll probably pick at least 2 of them, maybe 3.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:48 pm

Is Ferdinand even willing to play alongside Terry what with the whole Anton case still up in the air?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

FreekShow wrote:Is Ferdinand even willing to play alongside Terry what with the whole Anton case still up in the air?

That's the bit I'm unsure of.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:04 pm

I can't believe it!!! Theo is injured, surely another reason why we will win the Euro's. Absolutely celebrating here! An appaling player with the technical ability of a baby and a non-existent ability to finish. Come to think of it he will probably be replaced by Daniel 'I'm gonna perform a trick and lose the ball again' Sturridge. Shocking players! With wingers who can't produce final balls and Welbeck up front...........our name is on the trophy already! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says Theo Walcott is likely to miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury, but should be fit in time for Euro 2012.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Should be fit for Euro 2012? Bugger, I had my hopes up that he wouldn't be!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:Should be fit for Euro 2012? Bugger, I had my hopes up that he wouldn't be!

So did every other England fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:35 pm

Lads, I know you mightn't like Walcott but I don't think it's right to celebrate an injury. He would do well up front, not a winger. He is getting better but still has no footballing intelligence.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

Exactly, no intelligence and is for that reason he shouldn't be near England or Arsenal. He just makes aimless runs and doesn't know how to pass or cross.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Wed 09 May 2012, 2:45 pm

Oh dear...

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun 13 May 2012, 10:24 am

I think Rickie Lambert clearly deserves a place in the World Cup squad - nothing to do with my bias as a Saints fan, of course! To be fair, I think there is a case for him being more deserving a spot than both Andy Carroll and Darren Bent; while he may not have Premier League experience, at least he's been scoring a boat load of goals in the last few months. He could probably do quite well with a speedy and agile strike partner (maybe Welbeck), although I'll be laughed out of the forum for suggesting it.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 13 May 2012, 10:43 am

Given that we're up against France, Sweden and Ukraine I can genuinely see us struggling to qualify from our group...new manager and new players notwithstanding.

Basically, I'm going into this tournament with zero expectations. I'm also in the process of deciding who I will support, if and when we get knocked out.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

That worked out very well didnt it, the floundering opposition battered Engand and if not for poor finishing the result would have been as bad as it looked. England should thank Italy that their finishing made Englands result look much better then what it was. Roll on 2014, hopefully there will be a lot of hype and almost certainly alot of dissapointment

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

Yep the floundering opposition beat England 0-0, a horrible battering. Hang on, we lost by a lottery and there's no shame in that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yep the floundering opposition beat England 0-0, a horrible battering. Hang on, we lost by a lottery and there's no shame in that.

Come on now, it was never a lottery, England were completely outplayed and if not for poor Italian finishing, the result would have been a massacare. If England won the Penalty shoot out do you honestly think they would be the deserved winners?

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:54 pm

And yet England had the best chance of the game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:And yet England had the best chance of the game.

What was that.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:58 pm

Glen Johnson from 6 yards in about the 5th minute of the game. Only a fantastic save from Buffon stopped him scoring.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 5:00 pm

I like the way you forget about De Rossi's chance when if not for poor finishing, he would have scored, that was surely a better chance as unlike, Johnson, he didnt have defenders all over him.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

Duty 281

I admire your undefatiguable optimism.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Duty 281

Agreed, I can't fault Duty 281 for that but you have to admit Italy were by far the better team.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:
Doon the Water wrote:Duty 281

Agreed, I can't fault Duty 281 for that but you have to admit Italy were by far the better team.

Why? Italy played an attacking style, England played a defensive style. The score was 0-0, it was equal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

I'm sorry but you cannot defend England here, again poor Italian finishing prevented a disgrace. And who had the better chance.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next