The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season updates thread

+21
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
seanmichaels
kingraf
DP
NickisBHAFC
Carrotdude
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Barney92
Liam
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
hampo17
Shelsey93
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
hodge
25 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Season updates thread - Page 4 Empty Season updates thread

Post by hodge Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I just thought for anyone who is playing this season that we could have a thread where people give updates on how their season is going both personally and for their team if they are interested?

As I said in another thread I have what are apparantly my university's first every cricket games thursday and friday this week and i'm captaining the side, no pressure there Shocked We have Newport cricket clubs midweek team on thursday and face UWE 2nd XI on friday who a freind of mine is captain so we have a little wager on the outcome of the game. Loser has to buy the winner a drink for every club 2nd XI game we both play in Shocked Again no pressure there!

Anyways good luck to everyone for this season, unless somehow in some strange case you end up playing against me! boxing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Season updates thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Season updates thread

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 May 2012, 11:59 pm

First Twenty20 of the season out of the way.

We won off the final ball, a thriller!

After losing the toss we were asked to field and managed to restrict the opposition to 129-6. I bowled 2 overs, no wickets for 13 runs, not great but could have been worse in my first game for some time. A catch even went down off my bowling, which I was desperately disappointed at!

At the beginning of our innings we were 20-3 from 5 overs, a disastrous start and it looked like we would capitulate. Our main man went in at number 4 and hit a pretty rapid 33, before yours truly, entering the fray at number 6, mustered 27 not out in decent time. Other lesser contributions from the middle order and tail saw us home, with 1 being needed for victory off the last ball. My batting partner duly drove through the covers, piercing the tight ring of fielders (careful!) that had descended and running away for 4.

Nervy stuff, but a brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable game of cricket.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 30 May 2012, 12:56 am

well done fists thumbsup

We have our first 2020 cup game tomorrow evening, we're missing 1 or 2 regular first teamers anyway 1 of which is our opener and usual top scorer for season totals, so going there with a bit of a weakend team. Hopefully we can come away with the win and round 2

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

summery of today's game.... i get injured and go off to hospital mad

came in at number 8 having been dropped from opening and knock a couple of singles about then play a shot and go over on my knee backwards after thinking i hear a crack from my knee, so just at home propped up not really knowing what ive done to it.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm

Sad Hope it's not too serious....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

shoudn't think so, or i think they would have spotted something at the hospital i reckon, have to go back friday for an appointment, although when the curtain was shut over i heard one of the A&E doctors talking about it potentially being acl related which wouldn't be good.

Thing was i did it in the 43rd over and the game was cancelled for rain shortly after tea haha

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

Was the same old story for us this weekend, bowling and fielding was the best it's been all season, managed to keep them to 129 after 52 overs, I had a horrible day behind the stumps, dropped 3 catches early doors and let through 17 byes, did take two catches later on but still my worst day for years.

Batting we were flying, 95-2 off 16 overs but the inevitable collapse happened, I'd taken a whack on the thumb keeping and couldn't grip the bat so went in number 9, I managed to drag the tail to within 5 runs of the win when our number 11 chipped the ball to close midwicket. Still gutted about this game.

Here's my thumb today though, so sore Laugh

Spoiler:

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

We played Rickmansworth IV this Saturday, who featured a bowler wearing a Union Jack cravat (!) - last year he wore an MCC cravat and tripped over on to his face whilst bowling on a sodden pitch.

We bowled first and restricted them to 133, with our 15 year-old opening bowler taking 5-25. With the pitch a little damp after morning mizzle I wasn't needed for any spin, with the seamers doing the vast majority of the work.

In reply we made a complete mess of things, though our captain promoted himself to open and survived 21 overs for 8 and I lasted 11 overs for my 8 batting at number six. I was given out lbw on the front foot batting outside my crease by their non-playing umpire, but it hit me very low on the pad so it might well have been out, even though my teammates on the boundary thought I might have got a shocker! Our three best batsmen all got out cheaply and we made only 89...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm

I didn't play this week-end due to other commitments (singing basically), but the team won without me, apparently making 210 in their 40 overs before bowling out the opposition for 130. 3 from 4 now, win our last two and we'll be through to the Regional final Very Happy Our bowling seems to be our strong suit as we've bowled the opposition out in every match and they've never exceeded 160.

Hampo, that sounds like some collapse Shocked that thumb looks sore too

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:55 pm

Yeah, it was quite dark when we batted and there were a few dodgy decisions that went against us through out the game like their number 3 who ended up not out padding up on off stump and being given not out. No excuses though we didn't bat well enough.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

Played this weekend and at last we registered a victory. The other team had 8 players. We were put into bat and made 162. The openers started really well and then there was a 7 over period where we just didn't score. One of players left which was poor form. We had lot's of players there as the 1st's game was called off and the captain to his credit did not replace the player despite encouragement from other players. Took a drive to knee when I was fielding at silly point. Cor it swelled. The opposition fell 6 runs short and had some exceptional batters lower down the order. they very much rinsed our spinners. On a side note we were next to the Fatboy Slim gig and had some background music to keep us company Smile

Hoping this rain clears for nets tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

we're struggling to get a full team out for this week-end though, only 9 players so far, and two of our top 3 batsmen missing which is a shame. I'll probably end up opening the batting. Feeling in good touch after a good net tonight (hitting it very nicely), so hoping to make a few runs. On the plus side, we're playing the weakest team in the League, our captain finally made his first 50 of the season last week (before getting what appeared to be a shocking run out decision) and looked in great touch at nets tonight.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

We played on a horrid wicket today. I went to play a forward defensive shot to a good length ball and it popped up and hit me in the head Laugh Then I got out to a ball that was short and ended up pretty much pea rolling along the floor. I hate it when it's like that, ruins the game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

Olly wrote:We played on a horrid wicket today. I went to play a forward defensive shot to a good length ball and it popped up and hit me in the head Laugh Then I got out to a ball that was short and ended up pretty much pea rolling along the floor. I hate it when it's like that, ruins the game

Yeh I know what you mean. We played a team during the mid-week 20/20 and it was played on a rugby pitch. A forward defensive would get you a 4, that's how short the boundaries were. We were confident of a big score going in first until we actually reached the wicket. It didn't look too bad from the club house. When we got there, it was waterlogged with divot's everywhere. Horror wicket. Your wicket sounds similar to my dismissal Olly. The ball before again was on a good length, like yours, I played a forward defensive, like you, I ended up hooking it for 4, a very late hook shot at that, I didn't even look at the ball, I assumed where it would be after it pitched and pulled my bat through laughing Next ball, back of a length, lbw on the toe!!!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm

I know at my club we are quite lucky because it is the home of Norfolk cricket so we have two covered and looked after pitches and outfields but you would at least think they could make an effort. I mean the pitch we played on today actually had weeds on it. It was shocking
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 10 Jun 2012, 1:31 am

Not so much fun watching from the side lines, something i'm going to have to get used to for a while Crying or Very sad

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

disappointing today. The forecast for the place we were travelling to had it raining there all day pretty much all week, and when we woke up this morning it was to gray skies and heavy rain. Bare in mind that our weather usually travels up to where the game was taking place.

However, their president insisted that it was fine and we'd get a game in. As a result we duly drove the two and a half hours it took to get up there, all in heavy rain. Arrived at the ground. Raining. Heavily. Pitch (astro-turf) soaked, ground not much better. Umpires wait 15 minutes until official start time before duly declaring the ground too dangerous for play and calling the game off.

So we trooped back off again, stopping on the way for a much needed feed which raised our spirits I must say. Suffice it to say their president (who unfortunately also has a history of poor umpiring decisions against us) is not the most popular bloke in the dressing room right now...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:disappointing today. The forecast for the place we were travelling to had it raining there all day pretty much all week, and when we woke up this morning it was to gray skies and heavy rain. Bare in mind that our weather usually travels up to where the game was taking place.

However, their president insisted that it was fine and we'd get a game in. As a result we duly drove the two and a half hours it took to get up there, all in heavy rain. Arrived at the ground. Raining. Heavily. Pitch (astro-turf) soaked, ground not much better. Umpires wait 15 minutes until official start time before duly declaring the ground too dangerous for play and calling the game off.

So we trooped back off again, stopping on the way for a much needed feed which raised our spirits I must say. Suffice it to say their president (who unfortunately also has a history of poor umpiring decisions against us) is not the most popular bloke in the dressing room right now...

You did better than us. Called off on Friday afternoon, even though six of the ten matches in our league were played. I hate not playing, though I did get to watch a very tight 1st XI game which saw them lose to pretty poor opposition, and players on both sides hit some massive sixes.

In general our 1st XI is having their worst season in memory. Since 2000 they have finished every year in a record position and climbed from Division Nine to Division Two. But having lost star overseas Dion Ebrahim, and replaced him with a normal good but not star quality Aussie, they are the only team in Div 2 not to have won a game and the usual promotion battle looks to be being replaced by a relegation scrap... It is particularly odd as we still have the components of a good team - the top 4 are all very good players, we bat all the way down - sometimes even 10 would be classed as a genuine all-rounder, and our bowling attack isn't that bad. But things aren't going our way as they normally seem to.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:20 am

Another match cancelled this weekend due to lack of numbers and then found out that the first team had pinched all of our players. On that note I have joined another team where they can actually put out a team. The captain was annoyed, but I explained to him that 3 matches cancelled due to lack of players and then not being able to play on Sunday because it is too short notice to declare availability is just crap form by the club. I told them that the likelihood of them seeing the season out is as likely as a Chris Martin half century!

I have nets this week with my new club and a game this weekend too. Looking forward to actually playing some cricket! Can't wait Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

With the cricket season in full swing, we took advantage of the good weather to have plenty of cricket this weekend.

On Saturday I played in the 4s and it was the usual story. Playing Preston (Hertfordshire not Lancs), we got our batting all wrong, scoring painfully slowly up front, and then losing wickets, to be bowled out for 95. They are top of the league, but their bowling wasn't that good, and we should definitely have made more runs. I middled a few straight to the fielder off their leg-spinner, but for the second match in a row planted my foot and got trapped lbw to a medium pacer - this week for just 3.

In reply, we bowled and fielded well but they only lost 1 wicket and got home in 21 overs.

Meanwhile, our 1st XI's dodgy start to the season continued. Only two batsman got more than 13 but a good partnership got them to about 170. When I arrived back at the main ground after our 4s defeat they had Leverstock Green 66-5. But then a partnership got together and some later order hitting somehow got them over the line with an over to spare.

On Sunday I played a friendly match featuring a range of players from our four teams. Playing a side that play the Division above our 4s in the league, our 1st XI batsmen made it look very easy in compiling 240 in 40 overs. In the field we were always on top, to the point where one of our 1s players who doesn't normally bowl came on to bowl 'lob ups', as we gave everyone a bowl.

I've already seen a Shenley team concede 406-0 this season, but last night it was the turn of our U13s (for whom my little brother plays for) to bowl the opposition out for 19. Having racked up 160 in 20 overs, it took just 10 overs to bowl the opposition out. The match was tinged with a little controversy when our umpire (a parent/ team manager) started putting his finger up with incredible regularity, including a run out and an lbw which my instincts told me simply were not out.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm

music we are the champions music

so today we had our last league match of the year against our biggest rivals: the stakes were simple, as the winner of today's game would win the league (France SW north division). After a bit of scrambling around we managed to get a full strong-ish team out (missing our captain who was playing for France and a couple of others).

Stand-in skip lost the toss so we were in the field. After an early wicket their two best batsmen put on a very good partnership, scoring at a decent rate too, and at drinks (15 overs - 40 overs match) it was 72-1. We hadn't bowled badly but not great either. However this was the moment our first change bowler suddenly found some good swing and he picked up 4 in his next three overs to leave them 90-odd for 5. They then proceded to put on a decent partnership (aided by loads of wides) but we wrapped up the last 5 in double quick time and in the end they were bowled out for 143. I kept adequately, but a bit below par by my standards (one catch but dropped a couple of toughies down leg and let through about 6 byes)

In a 40 over game on our pitch (which is pretty decent for batting - 180 is really what you should be looking for minimum) we felt pretty confident at the half-way mark, feeling that if we batted well we'd get home. I opened with one of our good batsmen and we put on 50+ for the first wicket to set up a great platform. I was eventually 3rd out on 95 (21st over) for a well-compiled 39 (which turned out to be top score Very Happy). Unfortunately our star batsman (n°4) followed me soon for just 8 and on 99 for 4 we were a bit worried about a collapse which could see the league slip through our grasp. However our n°s 5 and 6 played very sensibly and aided by some wides saw us home with 6 and a bit overs to spare.

So there it is, league champions, and in september a play-off against the champions of the southern league awaits. In the meantime is the SW knock-out cup, which we'll be hoping to win for the third year in succession.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

Well done MFC! Great stuff.

We won yesterday as well, bowled the opposition out for 120 and I got three wickets which was nice as my bowling so far this year has been pretty poor but I finally felt in a good groove yesterday. We sneaked home 7 down, after their opener triggered three of our top order, including me, to dubious LBW decisions!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm

Well done MFC!

My Saturday was an interesting one, as following my marvellous start to the 4th XI season (16 runs and no wkts in 4 games), I was called up to the 3rd XI on the grounds that 1) I know my cricket (basically meaning there are some positives to including me!) and 2) My role in the 3s would be little different to my role in the 4s (i.e. bits and pieces all-rounder that's neither the star batsman nor a front-line bowler, but who can occasionally do a job). Of course in reality the reason was that for the 4s I was less of a loss that their main batsmen and bowlers, and had effectively been released to fill a slot in the interests of balance.

I wasn't called upon to bowl, as we used only three bowlers to restrict our opposition to 155, taking regular wickets on a slow track which wasn't offering much movement. In reply we got off to a really good start, with our experienced top order to getting us to about 80-1 with loads of overs left. But then our number three, who had made an imperious 35-odd did his calf - the third time he's been injured mid-match in three seasons - and basically ceased up completely. With our opener having already changed and showered, it was left to me to pad up in double quick time and run out into the middle to act as a runner (something I've never done in my life). But after scampering out the batsman decided it was actually best to retire and hobbled off. The other contributor to the partnership was soon bowled, and as seems to happen in these games the overs started catching up with us as a new partnership came together.

Fast forwarding a bit we needed 19 off 2 overs with their opening bowler into his 24th and last. There is a 16 year old at the crease, who has a great technique but scores slowly, with the contrasting 3s captain who must weigh at least 20 stone and biffs it. The 16 year old is on strike and from nowhere unfurls the Dilscoop first ball to get 2. The plan to get the skipper on strike is duly abandoned, but this backfires as he fails to make contact with the next ball. 16 needed off the last over, and you don't get any extra points for the draw in our league. The captain's on strike and takes two off each of the first two balls. Then the bowler uncharacteristically bowls a full toss which goes for four. 8 off 3. The captain hits a massive six over the longest boundary. 2 off 2. Dot ball. 2 off 1. Scamper a leg bye for a draw with scores level.

So 155 all out plays 155-3. But in a quirk of the rules we only get 9 points, whilst had we been 155 all out we'd have got 20 for the tie! A great game to be involved in, even though from a personal perspective a little disappointing not to bat or bowl.

I'm sure I'll be back in the 4s, who were bowled out for under 100 for the fourth time in five, next week though!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:21 am

Congrats to Bordeaux! Excellent win there.

I had an uncharacteristically free week-end, so took the chance to fly to Toulouse (well why not? anything to watch a game of cricket) where 3 of our potential junior players were playing in a league game which they won quite comfortably; another potential junior wasn't playing but came along and we spent a while talking and practising. One of them got his first 5-for of his life; overall the 3 kids actually give Toulouse a more than decent bowling attack - unfortunately their batting doesn't quite match up and I would be surprised if they beat Noe to the South title.

Starting friday is the continental T20, involving France, Jersey, Holland A and the MCC. Belgium were meant to be there but pulled out, presumably due to financial constraints having qualified for the WCL. France are sending a young side (consisting mainly of juniors and ex-juniors on the fringes of the seniors, and a few seniors); I am going as coach.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:33 am

France v Jersey in a couple of hours. Suitably excited and nervous.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:22 pm

Mike Selig wrote:France v Jersey in a couple of hours. Suitably excited and nervous.

What happened?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm

I was clean bowled for 4 in my second T20 of the season. Played my first ball straight to mid-on, second ball was wide and I cut it for 4 right out of the middle, but 3rd ball was a quicker one, tried to clip it in to the leg side and lost my middle stump after playing round it/being beaten by pace.

Managed to take 1-18 with the ball...nice gift of a wicket off a low full toss that was hit straight up in the air to the guy at cover.

We managed a 1 wicket win chasing 120 (after being 20-6) however, so it was another scintillating game.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Saturday we won by 15 runs in our fourth team. I hit a very handy 28 off 20 balls coming in at 6 to push us up to 155 off 45 overs. We kept them under the rate all innings and controlled the match for only our 2nd win of the season Shocked

Today in the U17's game I got out for a duck. Was a shocking umpiring decision, clearly sliding down leg. And then next over we lost another wicket to a ball that clearly pitched outside leg and was going miles over the stumps! It was a joke
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

No 4s game for me this weekend as our oppo conceded and gave us 30 pts. But I did get another run out in the 3s, where we lost 7 wickets in about 15 minutes! I came in after two wickets in two balls (1 a run out), and after a very quick bit of padding up and flicked my fourth ball off my legs for a beautiful four, having missed out on a full toss first ball. Unfortunately that was that as the very next ball I was cleaned up by one that nipped back and took out my off peg.

The team got to 98 thanks to a lower order partnership, but the oppo knocked the runs off with 8 wickets and loads of overs to spare. Again my hit-and-miss turning-the-wrong-way 'leg' breaks were deemed too much of a risk such a low total to defend.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm

Hit 37 today, which was a vast improvement on my previous best of 9. A strange promotion up the order from 9th to 4th worked out pretty well. Sadly I didn't stay in until the end but we got our 4th win of the season.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

as you know, im captain of my club side, we have played 10 league games thus far:

we have

won 8
lost 1
1 abandonded due to rain

we are top of the table.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

CF wrote:as you know, im captain of my club side, we have played 10 league games thus far:

we have

won 8
lost 1
1 abandonded due to rain

we are top of the table.

Well done clap

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 02 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

CF wrote:as you know, im captain of my club side, we have played 10 league games thus far...we are top of the table

CF - How are you doing personally - Stellar performances? Or is it more of the Mike Brearley touch - couldn't bowl, fairly average sort of batsman but as captain somehow got the team to perform above expectations using his acute psychological insights and so on....? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

Been told theres a chance I could make a return for one or 2 games at the end of the season!!

Yahoo

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 3:47 pm

im taking a lot of wickets, and consistently scoring runs corporal....im an all-rounder, so doing well, and captaining well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:41 pm

CF wrote:im taking a lot of wickets, and consistently scoring runs corporal....im an all-rounder, so doing well, and captaining well Smile

Any of the Essex players' places under threat? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:50 am

Got the call from the skipper today, I'm back in the ones for Saturday! Very Happy Haven't really been doing much to press my claims in the twos since I got back from Uni, (HS of 44 and BBF of 3-20 in 3 games) but after they were skittled for 67 last weekend hopefully I can make a difference!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 04 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Found out my clubs first team are playing the team who inflicted this a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-18399462

Somewhat happy that i'm injured so don't have to face that bowling attack Laugh

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
CF wrote:im taking a lot of wickets, and consistently scoring runs corporal....im an all-rounder, so doing well, and captaining well Smile

Any of the Essex players' places under threat? Very Happy

yes!

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

Great news, been told I only dislocated my patela so can return to playing in 2 weeks when i get back from holiday.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 4:13 pm

hodge wrote:Great news, been told I only dislocated my patela so can return to playing in 2 weeks when i get back from holiday.

OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

My 4th XI match today is currently still on, though a look at the sky suggests that that unusual state of affairs may not last much longer!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:49 am

Today I return to the ground where I hit the biggest six the 4th team has ever see (according to the captain!). Here's hoping history repeats itself!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

Are you the captain? Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

Laugh Laugh

Only for the Under 17's side lol!! To be fair I just absolutely creamed it. But then the heavens opened and the game was off. And the weather is looking suspect again today...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

weather's fine in essex this morning and we should get the full day in Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

CF wrote:weather's fine in essex this morning and we should get the full day in Smile

Am playing in Datchworth today, which is pretty much in Essex (though technically still Herts), so good to hear Very Happy

Hopefully they avoided the two heavy showers that have gone over my house in the last hour...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

11th league game today, and we are at home, will have the covers at the bounadry edge all game for sure!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

Apologies for my week-long (or so) absence from these boards: firstly there was the Holland trip, then some fall-out from the Holland trip, then a (maths) conference in Durham all of which have limited my time and energy.

The dutch trip: this was I believe the 3rd edition of the Continental T20 tournament - involving France, Holland A, Jersey and an MCC side (past editions have also involved Belgium and Luxembourg). France won the edition 2 years ago, and the dutch won last year (and this year as things turn out). Round robin format, then 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4 finals.

France send a young inexperienced side, for two main reasons:
- with the 50 over format being our priority, and this tournament just a couple of days after the La Manga qualifier quite a few of our senior players were unavailable as they couldn't have the time off work.
- both us and Jersey (and Holland) see the tournament as an excellent opportunity to test fringe or up-and-coming players at a high standard.

To be honest we'd have been happy with 1 win from 4 matches, but ultimately we lost all 4. I am not too disappointed with the result, and there were many positives from a development perspective. On the opening day we gave both Jersey and Holland a run for their money, and both opposite coaches complimented us on our fighting qualities.

Matches:
France 76/9 lost to Jersey 78/5 (15.4 overs or so): basically we never recovered from a poor start. On a tricky pitch (slow and low) we lost a lot of wickets playing accross the line, and 76 actually represented a decent recovery from 50/9, led by our supposed leg-spinner Zika Ali who top scored with 20odd not out. Jersey got off to a flyer (28/0 off 2) and then our slow bowlers pulled them right back; at 60/5 we had a glimmer but Jersey had obviously learned from their mistakes and then nudged and nurdled to good effect.

Holland 113/8 beat France 78 all out (final over). Same pitch, we knew the pitch so took pace off the ball and just hit our lines; Holland started too aggressively and Rory Gribbell bowled a fantastic spell of 4/13 at the top. We had the dutch 56/7 after 15 overs, and then collapsed somewhat, with some poor bowling. 113 was never really chaseable (I thought we could get 100) and again too many guys got out playing accross the line. Zika and Rory again saved face somewhat, Rory basically blocking and Zika scoring 27 or so.

2nd day was more disappointing, for reasons I won't go into on a public board. The end result being we sent out our most inexperienced side in the last game (only one player over 20, all the others juniors I've helped bring through the ranks) and gave our best performance of the tournament, but were a couple of bowlers light, and the pitch strangely was playing very well, so couldn't quite get the win.

Holland won the tournament beating Jersey narrowly in the final.

There is a report from associate cricket supremo Rod Lyall here:
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES5/articles/000016/001611.shtml

The tournament homepage which includes various scorecards is here:
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/DATABASE/2012/TOURNAMENTS/CONTINENTALT20/about.shtml

Rory Gribbell has made a promising start to his journalistic career with a report from a french perspective, and sums up our positives very well. He does completely omit to mention his 4/13 against the dutch, their top 4 all out either caught behind or bowled...
http://www.t20international.org/t20-continental-championships-a-big-success-view-from-a-french-perspective/

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 08 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

2nd day was more disappointing, for reasons I won't go into on a public board. The end result being we sent out our most inexperienced side in the last game (only one player over 20, all the others juniors I've helped bring through the ranks)

Mike thanks again for the full update. I'm hoping the more senior pros didn't let the side down by going on a bender after Day 1 .... Wink That seems to have happened with Surrey during their recent cc match at Horsham, with a predictably dismal result on the pitch...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 5:49 pm

Frankly that would have been preferable Corporal...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next