The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia

3 posters

Go down

Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia Empty Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

I thought you guys might enjoy reading THIS piece.

Adam Freier has played 95 matches of super rugby for three different australian Franchises, Brumbies, Waratahs and are now a senior hand at the rebels, he represented australian age group rugby and played for them 16 times.

Courtesy SMH

AS A rookie, there were some things I never understood - like playing well, then being dropped.

Not that 19 is overly young within Super Rugby squads nowadays, but, in 1999, I was as green as they come - a pup in a pound of old dogs, a rookie with the ACT Brumbies.

Eddie Jones' office was like the principal's, but more for life lessons, then rugby. I'd always be nervous, my insides in a convoluted knot.

''I've got some good news and some bad news. You're training really well mate, but I'm not picking you.''

Life lesson one: what is an oxymoron?

I wait for the reasons why, but he deliberately stalls the conversation, until the only thing I can hear are the crickets from the garden outside his window.

Life lesson two: don't ask why.

''Why?'' I ask.

''Who do you think you are to question my judgment, I'm the coach, I don't see your name on that door!''

Life lesson three: do not hide under the desk while the coach gives you a serve.

The tirade continues for an eternity, yet the steam eventually starts to pour back into his ears, as he ends with a final summation.

Life lesson four: ''You don't know this right now, but this decision will help make you the player you will eventually become.''

In 1999, we had the luxury of only having three Super teams in Australia and a talent pool at full capacity, where the sometimes younger, more talented player wouldn't be picked, so he could spelled or starved to become a hungrier player.

We are in a unique point in history where youngsters have to step in earlier to help maintain a higher standard of competition while our game becomes national.

Life lesson five: there are no illusions as to the challenge that awaits us in Sydney tomorrow night.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia Empty Re: Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

Nice one Biltong. thumbsup

It´s an interesting point he raises about the days when Australian teams only had 3 Super teams. To break into those teams you needed to be very good. But what kind of rugby did you have to play if you weren´t considered good enough for the top team or indeed the developmental team?

Then again, for every success story with young players like Lomu, North et al how many horror stories are there where young players have got the call up and then didn´t perform only to be thrown onto the scrap heap? i.e. the likes of Cipiriani, Tait etc If you are picked really young and don't perform, it´s very difficult to shake off that stench in your later career. Are we pushing too many young players into the limelight too soon in the professional era? Or are we not pushing enough youngsters into the limelight and prefer experience? I guess it´s a bit like the labour market. Do you go on exciting potential or previous work experience?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia Empty Re: Life lesson by Adam Freier - Australia

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:47 am

It makes sesne what he says about three Franchises vs five, but then again there needs to be a balance in how far the exposure goes for youngsters.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:04 am

Interesting read Biltong...... and one that is quite relevent to Irish rugby right now, if I do say so myself...... Whistle guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down