The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life?

5 posters

Go down

Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life? Empty Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life?

Post by Driver Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:03 am

Lets put it bluntly in the 6 nations despite some promising signs in the France game England didn't play with much creativity. Brad Barritt whilst being a rock solid defender and offering a neat offload here and there lacked the ability to get the men outside of him shifting. Now Shane Gereghty is set for a sensational return to London Irish and if he is back to his creative best with his wide range of passing , jinking foot work and ability to tie defenders up he could be the man who gets the best from Manu?

Anyone else see this as being a potent combo?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life? Empty Re: Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life?

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:08 am

I'd say that Allen is the one to get the best from Manu. I'm looking forward to see how Geraghty/JJ goes, though maybe that's quite weak overall in defence?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life? Empty Re: Could Shane Gereghty bring Manu to life?

Post by flankertye Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:20 am

How come he's coming back? Did he play much at Brive?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:23 am

He was injured a lot whilst at Brive and by all accounts Toby Booth and Mike Catt are being let go by Irish and they are the reasons he left in the first place. He's also quite chummy with Brian Smith
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by mattraven Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 am

i like the idea of a playmaking 12 who can threaten the gainline and put manu into gaps rather than people, but to be honest i dont think it will be gereghty

he has had his chance and failed to impress. although i would be fine with giving him his chance if hes playing out of his skin in the premiership he would really need to be on fire. this is a possibilty but, similar to cipriani he has to prove he can tackle, and handle pressure while taking control of a match

for me he lacks both the physical strength for 12, and will be a huge target for the opposition, but more importantly he has never proved himself able to handle big pressure games, apart from once against Munster. and even that wasnt truly comparable to an international game.

i think the likes of billy 12trees and allen would get a go first. although in a few years i would hope to see 10. ford 12. farrell 13. manu assuming (a very big assumption) that ford progresses and farrels attacking game with ball in hand gets better

mattraven

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:54 am

Ford looks set to be the second choice 10 for Tigers next season which means we'll see more of him. Be played 10 for Tigers victory over Saints in the LV Cup final at 18/19 that's good going, showing a nice array of skills along the way. His defence isn't ready for international rugby yet though.

The answer to more creative rugby is already available to England. Toby Flood at 26 is in his prime and has been playing brilliantly for Tigers and scored a brace at the weekend to help Tigers to another bonus point win (all scorers were backs last weekend as well). Flood also provided the injection of attacking intent that nearly won us the Wales game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down