The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread

+71
tecphobe
gmclachl
sugarNspikes
nathan
Knowsit17
HERSH
allyt2k
Intotouch
HammerofThunor
toml
TJ1
gowales
stevetynant
Feckless Rogue
Dave.
wales606
KickAndChase
bsando
sirBiggles
Golden
eirebilly
alive555
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
thebluesmancometh
Morgannwg
doctor_grey
mckay1402
logie28
UlstermaninGlasgow
Croyman
Hollbeck Ghyll
marty2086
Glas a du
R!skysports
Suspicious lurker
trustedwomble
Kingshu
Thomond
Jenifer McLadyboy
Don Alfonso
Tattie Scones RRN
Mickado
Imperialbigdave
The Great Aukster
Gibson
Artful_Dodger
Shauna784
Rava
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
clivemcl
UlsterinKildare
geoff998rugby
red_stag
SecretFly
Biltong
George Carlin
RuggerRadge2611
IanBru
Taffineastbourne
LeinsterFan4life
MrsP
justified sinner
Standulstermen
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Rory_Gallagher
WillyGilly
rodders
Notch
75 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Empty Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:38 am

Ulster vs Edinburgh
5.45pm, Saturday 28th April
AVIVA Stadium Dublin
Heineken Cup Semi-Final

Nice sparkly new thread for the build-up to the Heineken Cup Semi-Final. Links to press interviews, team speculation, breaking news and discussion in the week ahead.

Let's kick off with interviews with Ulster defence coach Jonathan Bell and Edinburgh coach Michael Bradley.

Jonny Bell thinks Ulsters fans can be the difference as he reflects on his own win in the 1999 competition.

Michael Bradley talks about the Toulouse quarter-final and assesses the threat of Ulster.

Post any and all match-related chat here thumbsup

Last edited by Notch on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 am

In terms of team selection, Ulster have been given a big boost by the news that Chris Henry and Pedrie Wannenburg have been passed fit after leaving the field injured against Leinster.

http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2011-12/rugby/story/163084.html

Ulster are still waiting on news about Paddy Wallace. Paul Marshall is the other major injury doubt for Ulster. Do it for Brian lads!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17799458
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 am

Good job Notch OK . Any word on how man Edinburgh fans are going?

In terms of the Ulster team, Paddy Jackson has won me over after Friday night and Fitzpatrick went very well at TH. I'd imagine both will get the nod.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 am

Wallace and Marshall would both be huge losses. Fez should be champing at the bit. The real elephant in the room though is who starts at 10.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 am

I think Jackson, unless both Wallace and Marshall aren't fit to start the game. If both those guys are out;

9. Pienaar
10. Humphreys
12. Jackson

And Deccie Fitz to play tighthead, even if he only lasts 50 minutes. I think Macklin has twice gone well off the bench for Ulster in the last two weeks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:05 am

I'm not sure Jackson should play at 12 if I'm totally honest. I see your reasoning behind it Notch, but I'm not sure he is comfortable there. Humphreys and Jackson would be a heavily targeted. If Wallace is not fit I think Whitten should be starting. Great news that Henry and Wannenburg are fit Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 am

Jackson can handle himself. When I saw him take down SOB on Friday I knew he was ready.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 am

Let's be honest, lads. if Ulster fail to win this, then they are a team of absolute duffers - 'crisis' I would say OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:50 am

Edinburgh have sold 2000 tickets through the SRU website, but hopefully there will be a few more through other websites. Can see there being at least 35-40000 Ulster or Irish fans there so we'll be well and truly drowned out! I'll by trying my hardest to address the balance though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 am

Great news about Pedrie and chris. Didn't check the links but i assume that is definitive. To be honest I think paddy is the one of those three I think we can afford to lose (albeit he would still be a big loss). If any of our starting backrow are out we lose so much though and we really need to dominate rennie and Denton.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 am

Good man RDW! OK

I'll be trying to drown you out man but hope you have a good one(but not too good Wink)! guinness Braveheart
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:00 am

Asbo, youre absolutely right. I'll be in 503 watching us get hammered.
Crying or Very sad

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 am

Have to say I got a bit more excited when I heard some of your key guys were a bit banged up, but looks like they should be OK so back to the straw clutching again!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 am

RDW,

You are in the joyous position of everyone (pretty much) expecting you to be on the wrong end of the scoreboard. That's usually our place. I'm not at all used to this expectation! Makes me nervous and a bit uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not saying it will be easy or that anything is a foregone conclusion, just that this is not our comfort zone at all this "favourite" thing! I really believe in our team but this is unchartered territory for us all this!

I hope it's something we get the chance to get used to.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 am

will 40,000+ ulster fans travel down to the aviva? i hope so it will be a great occasion

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 am

I was at the Celtic Cup final when Ulster won. Great day looking forward to a great day on Saturday. Ulster or Edinburgh, enjoy.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:will 40,000+ ulster fans travel down to the aviva? i hope so it will be a great occasion

I don't know how many folks are travelling down but I know there will be loads. My son is convinced his entire team are all going along with their families. I know one STH who isn't going! And that is through circumstances beyond his control!

Almost everyone I talk to says they are going.

It should be some occasion. I hope we can get there on time as we have committments that morning so will be leaving much later than I would like!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 am

The fact it is a semi-final is a great leveller. The first half hour will be cagey- the game won't be won until the second half if it doesn't go to the wire.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 am

justified sinner wrote:I was at the Celtic Cup final when Ulster won. Great day looking forward to a great day on Saturday. Ulster or Edinburgh, enjoy.

Amen to that! thumbsup guinness
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 am

Notch wrote:The fact it is a semi-final is a great leveller.

I agree Notch, I think this will be very close. Once you get to this stage the formbook goes out the window. This is uncharted territory for all the players involved but I'm hoping Ulster will have enough cool heads in the NIQ guys plus the the likes of Ferris and Best, who've won a GS to not let the occaision get to them.

This is a 50/50 game to me and the pressure is on Ulster here. Edinburgh have nothing to lose that makes them very dangerous.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:43 am

Really hoping/expecting for an Ulster win.
Like the cut of their gib and do not like the unfounded arrogance that some Edinburgh fans have displayed this year.
Go Celts!!!Trimble and Ferris to smash these soandsos.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 am

Aren't the Scots also Celts though? Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 am

Notch wrote:Aren't the Scots also Celts though? Smile
Not in my house!! Wink

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 am

Anyone wishing to see the apparent arrogance of Edinburgh fans, and Taff's genuinely perplexing reaction can do so here:
https://www.606v2.com/t24113-n-g-dragons-vs-edinburgh

They really shouldn't use revolving doors at the looney bin...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 am

IanBru wrote:Anyone wishing to see the apparent arrogance of Edinburgh fans, and Taff's genuinely perplexing reaction can do so here:
https://www.606v2.com/t24113-n-g-dragons-vs-edinburgh

They really shouldn't use revolving doors at the looney bin...

Don't worry, I don't think many people take Taff too seriously.. just let him keep talking rubbish thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am

Looney bin, eh? Who are you to make that call? More sickening arrogance from Ian there- you disgust me! You are not a mental health professional... probably! Whistle

All you Edinburgh fans are the same I tell you furious Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 am

Laugh

I needed that!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am

The hypocrisy is humorous though, as I remember threads like "Wales 6 nations winners" before the series was even over. Plus I remember some posters saying how ridiculous it was to even contemplate that Wales might be beaten by Scotland..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Notch wrote:Looney bin, eh? Who are you to make that call? More sickening arrogance from Ian there- you disgust me! You are not a mental health professional... probably! Whistle

All you Edinburgh fans are the same I tell you furious Wink
Some of them are ok.Some are devious soandsos and some are just twp. Rolling Eyes

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm

I would love to be going to this game, however divorce would be the only possible outcome if I were to shell out more money for rugby and leave my Mrs at home.

I don't want to sound arrogant though but this one is a foregone conclusion. I expect Edinburgh to trounce Ulster by at least 40 points.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Incase it was lost on anyone my previous post was a poor attempt at Humour.

This will be a titanic clash, Ulster have had the better of Edinburgh in the league twice already this season and will go in as favourites. Edinburgh will have to play every bit as well as they have in the HC already to challenge Ulster at the home of Irish rugby. It will be a huge challenge but Edinburgh are capable of beating Ulster.

It's a fairly even contest all over the park IMO and I think there will be little between the sides come Saturday.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 pm

As I've said above Radge I don't think league form will come into it.

Ulster have "home" advantage and will be slight favourites but with that comes additional expectation and pressure.

This is a 50/50 game for sure.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:19 pm

I would say there will be less than 7 points in it after 60 minutes- then I hope we pull away but if Edinburgh get a sniff, then who knows? Going to be an epic day, and hopefully an epic game as well thumbsup
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 pm

The backrow is where this game will be won and lost. If the Edinburgh backrow can get momentum I think that is when we'll be most dangerous. Denton, Talei and Rennie have to get the ball going forward and that means living up to the physicality in the collisions of Ferris specificaly who was brilliant at snuffing out Munster's momentum in the QF of the cup earlier on in the month.

The breakdown will be a key contest defensivly for Edinburgh. If Rennie and Denton can get paws on the ball and slow down Ulster's quick attacking play (much like they did against Toulouse) it can make up for some of Edinburgh's defencive frailties.

I think the myth of Edinburghs loose defence was well ant truly quashed when we held out for 7 minutes against Toulouse with 13 men. Ulster like to throw the ball around the backs as do Edinburgh so this should be a belter of game for the neutrals.

Already Excited! Very Happy
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Ulster need the first 30 minutes to be exactly the same as thomond because Edinburgh will not come back the way munster did then. I don't expect a 19-0 start but in terms of being absolutely ruthless when we get a chance.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Denton will be on the blind and so his collisions with Ferris will shape the entire game. Edinburgh have a superbly balanced back row and Rennie has shown himself as the true jackal he is at stealing ball. If they all play well and start to pressure whoever Ulster put at 10, it's going to be interesting.

It's going to be immense. Don't get too ahead of yourselves my Ulster brethren. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Agree that the start is going to be crucial Stand.

The set piece will be key and as Radge says the breakdown. Pienaar needs to bring his kicking boots this time too after missing a few on Friday.

Unfortunately, the way the game is now, the referee will be key too.

I'm seriously worried about this game actually. I wish we were playing Toulouse.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Right guys, for a bit of fun, if you could chose 2 players from the opposition to mysteriously come down with a bad case of the brown water syndrome the night before and not be able to play, who would it be??

For me it is easy - Pieenar and Ferris. Pieenar because he will kick anything from the halfway line and beyond, and Ferris cause he's a total beast and will nullify our big carriers if he manages to get near them - stopping our most effective weapons.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll go with Blair and Visser.

Visser has the pace and power to cause us problems out wide, Trimble did get the better off him recently but I'd rather not face him to be honest.

Blair is key I think with his leadership and control at the base of the ruck. He's not the player he was a couple fo seasons ago but he's still an important player for Edinburgh.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Denton and Talei. Edinburgh wouldn't have the backrow to trouble us if they were ruled out. As it is they have an excellent backrow when everyone is on the pitch but like us the drop off in quality between first and second choice in that area is massive.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Ruan, Pedrie, Stefan, Johan.Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Wave11
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
This will be a titanic clash, Ulster have had the better of Edinburgh in the league twice already this season and will go in as favourites. Edinburgh will have to play every bit as well as they have in the HC already to challenge Ulster at the home of Irish rugby. It will be a huge challenge but Edinburgh are capable of beating Ulster.

Omenous prediction!!! And no pun intended I'm sure Wink. Will Ulster indeed sink beneath the waves, having been hit by a bit of good ol' 'dour' Scottish floating ice in the shape of Edinburgh? Will Ulster run headlong into the berg rather than using sense and slowing down to go round it? Intrigue abounds as timely metaphors do the honours.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 pm

biltongbek wrote:Ruan, Pedrie, Stefan, Johan.Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Wave11

Who is the last guy dong the warm-up? You, biltong?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 pm

What are tickets like for this game? Still available?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes, I think so. They are on ticketmaster. I think there are something like 5,000 left.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Ruan, Pedrie, Stefan, Johan.Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread Wave11

Who is the last guy dong the warm-up? You, biltong?

No mate it is me, rodders and all the other Ulster fans (not sure who they all are) maybe you can suggest three more. Ulster vs Edinburgh, Build Up Thread 3933776953
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Notch wrote:Denton and Talei. Edinburgh wouldn't have the backrow to trouble us if they were ruled out. As it is they have an excellent backrow when everyone is on the pitch but like us the drop off in quality between first and second choice in that area is massive.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Laidlaw. To me he is the heart and sole of the team and was immense against Toulouse, taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Plus, if he gets injured then (good)Godman has to come on!! mad

My other concern would be Denton - Need his physicality to combat Ferris.

Blair has only played 40 mins against London Irish and again against Toulouse and we managed fine without him - key player but Leck will do a decent job if he came on. Visser has also been very quiet the past few HK games so we've managed to win without him being on top form. Could do with him coming back to form for this game though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Tickets are something like 33,000 Ulster and 12,000 split between neutrals and Edinburgh. 4,500 left

We absolutely must make sure we are the 16th man.
If any Ulster fan hasn't booked accomodation then you need to stay at the Airport - the city centre is full.

Me ? - I'm in a pub for 2 nights guinness

Also the train is fully booked going down and coming back on the Saturday - not a ticket left

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

So who will play for Ulster

My prediction is that everyone will make it and the team will be:

Court, Best, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Muller, Ferris, Wannenberg, Henry, Pienaer, Jackson, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Trimble, Terblanche

Bench: Mcallister, Brady, Macklin, Stevenson, Faloon, Marshall, Spence, D'Arcy

The only position in doubt is 10.
Diack has outperformed Faloon in the last 2 games but Faloon will probably play as 7 cover.
If Wallace is not fit then I reckon you might see Humphreys, Spence with Whitten on the bench

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Ulster will try and over power Edinburgh early - dont expect the ball be thrown about too much in the first 20 mins.

They believe their front 5 has what it takes - that is why Fitzpatrick out scrummaging Healy on Friday was so important. It means we can stick with the original game plan.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next