The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour.

+2
rodders
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour. Empty Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour.

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

OK guys, our first step was to suggest possible candidates for selection, which we have completed, I then took all the names you guys have suggested and put the polls up on which you voted. Here are the players 606V2 voted on.

Front row
LOOSEHEAD CIAN HEALY Age 24 International caps 30
LOOSEHEAD TOM COURT Age 31 International caps 29
HOOKER RORY BEST Age 29 International caps 60
HOOKER SEAN CRONIN Age 25 International caps 19
TIGHT HEAD MIKE ROSS Age 32 International caps 20
TIGHT HEAD JAMIE HAGAN Age 24 International caps 0

Locks
DONNACHA RYAN Age 28 International caps 18
PAUL O'CONNOLL Age 32 International caps 85
DAN TUOHY Age 26 International caps 2
DEVON TONER Age 25 International caps 3

Backrowers
STEPHEN FERRIS Age 26 International caps 35
PETER O'MAHONY Age 22 International caps 4
SEAN O'BRIEN Age 25 International caps 19
JAMIE HEASLIP Age 28 International caps 48
CHRIS HENRY Age 27 International caps 1
SHANE JENNINGS Age 30 International caps 13
(RHYS RUDDOCK Age 21 caps 1, he lost out by one vote)

Half backs
HALFBACK EOIN REDDAN Age 31 International caps 42
HALFBACK CONOR MURRAY Age 22 International caps 9

Fly halves
FLYHALF JOHNNY SEXTON Age 26 International caps 29
FLYHALF IAN MADIGAN Age 23 International caps 0

Midfield
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL Age 33 International caps 117
FERGUS MCFADDEN Age 25 International caps 11
DARREN CAVE Age 24 International caps 2
PADDY WALLACE Age 32 International caps 29

Back Three
ROB KEARNEY Age 26 International caps 38
ANDREW TRIMBLE Age 27 International caps 46
LUKE FITZGERALD Age 24 International caps 23
KEITH EARLS Age 24 International caps 30
FELIX JONES Age 24 International caps 3

The injury of Tommy Bowe has added a bit of a conundrum for the selections of the sixth back three, both these two players received the same number of votes.
SIMON ZEBO Age 22 International caps 0
DAVID KEARNEY Age 22 International caps 0

Squad summary.
Due to the fact that Simon Zebo and David Kearney couldn’t be separated it gives you a squad of 31 players.
Total number of caps:
Front row – 149
Locks – 108
Back row – 110
Half backs – 51
Fly halves – 29
Midfield – 159
Back three – 120

Uncapped players –Jamie Hagan, Ian Madigan, Simon Zebo, David Kearney.

One of the areas of concern in this squad is that a hand full of players make up the bulk of those caps. Rory Best is the only front row forward with more than 30 caps, Paul O’Connoll is the only lock with more than 20 caps, the Half back pairing is not very experienced so in all likely hood Reddan and Sexton is a must. Take out O’Driscoll and the Irish midfield loses a lot of experience, the back three is a good blend of 3 experienced players and three newbies.

If you consider that Decclan Kidney is likely to take a squad of 35 -40 players, we need to look at which areas are in need of bolstering.

In my view Front row is going to be a problem, you might need another lock and seeing that Rhys Ruddock just missed out we can add him to the 31 man squad automatically.

So that leaves us with 32 selected players, and a tight five that needs bolstering.

You might want to look at players such as these to complete the squad.

DONNACHA O'CALLAGHAN Age 33 International caps 85 – He will bring much needed experience to the tight five.
LOOSEHEAD PADDY MCALLISTER Age 22 International caps 0 - back up and gain experience
HOOKER MICHAEL SHERRY Age 23 International caps 0 – back up and experience
TIGHT HEAD ADAM MACKLIN Age 22 International caps 0 – back up and experience.

I will not tour New Zealand without back up for the front row, even if all three have no caps, these were the potential players you believed should get an opportunity and even though they didn’t get many votes, are there any others that could slot in?

Anyhow this is a 36 man squad, you may want to look at another back up for half backs which would make it a squad of 38.

I personally think Ireland looks as if they are under developed in the front row, with many players who have potential but hasn’t been given experience, and in this area do I feel is their weakest area.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour. Empty Re: Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour.

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:05 am

Great job Biltong, thanks for doing this man! OK guinness

I have to say I like the look of that Squad. Personally I'd be tempted to leave out Paddy Wallace (sorry Paddy) and take both Dave Kearney and Simon Zebo.

Its hard to disagree with your comments. Front row is a serious problem in Irish rugby right now, with Ulster and Munster relying heavily on NIQ props, the options are thin on the ground. Declan Fitzpatrick had a very good game at TH on Friday though.

Theres a good mix of youth and experience there and penty of talent around in most positions. The challenge for Kidney, as always, is to get the best combinations on the pitch and put an effective gameplan together, which suits the strengths of the players.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour. Empty Re: Irish squad selected by 606V2 posters and possible additions for the New Zealand tour.

Post by Standulstermen Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:59 am

Dave Kearney is capped I believe. Came on for a minute against Wales this 6nations I think. Anyway aside from being pedantic that isn't a bad squad. Would be inclined to take Mcallister over court and potentially another youngster over paddy Wallace.

Fair play biltong

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:14 am

I like it. I would add O'Gara and Isaac Boss to the 36 players you suggested giveing a 38-man touring party.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

I would take Boss ahead of Murray anyways, he's in fine form and I think playing in NZ will bring out the best in him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

Ronan Loughney (young connacht tight head) nominated for Medal of Excellent by Irish Rugby Players Association.

Could/Should he travel? He has flown under my radar
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:24 am

Macklin should be nowhere near the plane - even to suggest him is a joke.

Declan Fitzpatrick is, at this moment in time, a vastly superior TH and is, rightly, selected ahead of Macklin for Ulster.

If you want a third TH its him or Andress - anyone else is in danger of being seriously injured as they would be so inferior to their opposite number.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down