The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Allen - STFU!

+3
CaledonianCraig
eirebilly
Beer
7 posters

Go down

Mark Allen - STFU! Empty Mark Allen - STFU!

Post by Beer Mon 23 Apr - 9:27

Seriously, what is this guy's problem? Is he trying to be some sort of outspoken rogue for the sport? He comes across as a massive douchebag. Nothing more than a spoilt fat chav who's bitter cause he lost!

In case you're wondering what i refer to....

Mark Allen accused Cao Yupeng of dishonesty during his surprise first-round defeat by the Chinese player at the World Championship in Sheffield.

Allen, who admits he was "completely outplayed" by the world number 81, claimed Cao failed to declare an illegal push shot when leading 5-4.

No foul was given and the 26-year-old Northern Irishman eventually lost 10-6.

"I'm disgusted. The state of snooker is very sad if it has to be down to that, but it's not the first time," he said.

"Cao looked at the referee, too, so I'm very confident on where I stand on that."

Referee Paul Collier took no action at the time, with television replays proving inconclusive.

Former Crucible champion Terry Griffiths, who coaches Allen, said during live commentary: "I think he fouled that. I think he hit the white twice."

Players are expected to declare fouls when officials fail to spot such infringements.

After the match, Allen said: "I thought the big turning point was at 5-4 when he was in the balls and... the referee missed a blatant push.

"It was quite obvious to me and anyone who was watching at home would have been able to see it, no problem.

"It was a big stage of the match. If the referee rightfully called a foul there, I'd have had a chance of going to 5-5 and the match would have been different, but he went on to pull away."

Asked in the post-match media conference whether he recalled the incident, Cao answered through an interpreter: "No.

"I was just focusing on playing. I didn't realise if I had fouled. If I fouled, I say sorry. If I didn't foul, and Mark said that, then I would feel very upset and angry."

A World Snooker spokesman confirmed Allen's comments would be examined by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.

It is not the first time that Allen has caused controversy on the circuit.

In March, he took to his Twitter account to criticise conditions at China's Haikou World Open as "horrendous".

"Dead cat found this morning," he tweeted. "Any wonder this place stinks. Must be dead cats all round the town."

He went on to win the event and later stood by his comments, insisting: "It would be nicer to play tournaments in the UK, but I have to go where the money is."

In December, he called on World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn to resign after changes were made to the format of major tournaments.

"I've got no doubt he'll tweak the World Championship," Allen said at the time. "The whole tradition of the game is going to pot."

Allen was fined for the Hearn outburst, while his Haikou World Open comments are still being assessed by the snooker authorities.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Mark Allen - STFU! Empty Re: Mark Allen - STFU!

Post by eirebilly Mon 23 Apr - 9:47

Its a bit harsh on Allen here KB.

He fully admitted that he was outplayed. I dont like the fact that he does these sort of things at press conferences because thats asking for trouble. At the time it looked a foul and i was amazed that it wasnt called. Cao looked at the ref and he took no action, possible ref issue?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 23 Apr - 10:16

It's not harsh mate, his comments about China were out of line, he's basically called somone a cheat here. If Cao didn't feel it was a push shot, why would he call it? It's the ref's job.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 23 Apr - 10:35

My gripe with Allen is how he has handled it. Okay he says he was outplayed then why not just leave it at that instead of adding in a cheat tirade. It reflects bad on him, sullies his opponent and certainly does snooker no favour. He mentioned it, in my opinion solely because he lost, but did he lose because of that incident? No he was soundly beaten by the better player and he should have taken it on the chin far better in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 Apr - 11:13

My problem with it was that he said it was becoming a problem with the Chinese players. Just because you think one player, who happens to be Chinese, has cheated against you it doesn't mean you can accuse a whole nation.

Just because I believe Allen is a fat, gormless twonk it doesn't necessarily mean all Irish people are.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Apr - 14:04

err it was a blatent double hit- mark allen did the right thing. CAU also new what he did. it isnt 'cricket' end of story.

If i can tell every time when i have pushed or double hit the shot then so can cau.. its absolute rubbish for him to say that he didnt know. because its not just a garanteed feeling on the shot but also the ball will react differently and positional shot will go a different route!!

however his comments about chinaon the whole where bang out of order..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 Apr - 14:43

You think to announce it in a press conference was the "right" thing to do?

I'd have thought a behind the scenes conversation with opponent, referee and maybe the correct officials would have made more sense.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Apr - 14:44

better to speak out i think. it was a blatent double hit.

Id rather hear how players feel.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 23 Apr - 14:46

mystiroakey wrote:better to speak out i think. it was a blatent double hit.

Public airing of their borderline racist views impresses you?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Apr - 14:49

king beer i am talking about the incident- not the views on chinese as a whole.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 23 Apr - 14:49

+1 Hibbz, i dont mind him speaking his mind but i just dont think that at a press conference after the match is the correct time or place to do that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 23 Apr - 14:50

mystiroakey wrote:king beer i am talking about the incident- not the views on chinese as a whole.

OK

I haven't seen the incident, my topic was more to do with his anti-chinese comments.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 Apr - 14:55

mystiroakey wrote:better to speak out i think. it was a blatent double hit.

If he wanted people to take his views seriously then the worst time to announce it is just after you've been beaten and it can come across as sour grapes.

I'm inclined to agree that it was a double hit (not that my view counts) but you're not going to convince me that it cost Allen the match. I know he said he was outplayed but that was after his initial outburst so it would appear to me his intention was for us to think that's why he lost.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Apr - 15:11

Allen got beat , he needs to accept that. However I dont like the fact that the player didnt call the foul on himself. And if players start replicating what he did it spells trouble for the sport and reffs will end up being blamed for not spotting stuff, and we will have all these technology arguments and bad reffing arguments like we do in other sports!!

The truth is even if i think i may have double hit the ball i willk walk away. Cau knew from my pov. he even glanced to the ref after the shot.. I hate players like that(at an amatuer level)

I play alot of competitive 9 ball and i love the fact that the rules are so much more basic- you can raise the butt and play a legal push shot, 3 foul rule etc!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 23 Apr - 16:02

Okay, I'm happy to accept that Cau probably did wrong, but still dispute that Allen "did right".

x

Last edited by Hibbz on Mon 23 Apr - 16:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Messed up the Italically bit!)

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 23 Apr - 16:22

allen is a bit of a div to say the least. China is the future like it or lump it. If it wasnt for the emerging markets this game would be dead. The tweets he wrote were laughably poor taste. He is biting the hand that feeds him.

however i am not gonna judge him or Cao completly, both are humans- but i am happy to say both have done wrong.

Allen is obviously a small town lad that doesnt realise how ridiculas his comments sound. Cao maybe doesnt realise that this game does not excuse gamesmanship, he needs to understand the etiquite and tradition.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Mon 23 Apr - 20:15

allen should not have generalised, but kept specific to the incident at hand - it was a disgraceful act for the chinese player to try to pretend it was not a foul - one of the worst instances in snooker (in terms of fouls) i have seen. For all his faults i like the fact that Allen doesn't really care about speaking his mind. The game badly needed characters, good, bad and ugly.

I think more worrying is the willingness of those in charge of the game to clamp down on any little thing that was said. For instance the Mark williams comments as reported contained nothing beyond opinion. When you start clamping down on opinions you start to 'rule' the sport, rather than 'run' it.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 25 Apr - 15:58

How can Hearn's antics stand within the limits of the law let alone those of the sport? If Mark Allen felt that a foul went unnoticed and unreported (poor sportsmanship by Cao if so) he's perfectly within his rights to speak up about it. He's hardly saying that he'd have won had it been ruled a foul. And he's the one who gets a slap on the wrist when they should be reviewing the footage and determining whether it was a foul or no. Instead Hearn is obsessed with stamping his authority on anyone with a toe out of line.

Likewise with Williams, how can expressing dislike for a venue merit a suspension? I'm convinced that snooker is on a downward spiral, it has been brought into disrepute by an increasingly disrespectful fanbase and an iron-fisted dictator.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down