The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tigers (Canterbury) kit

+23
B91212
Effervescing Elephant
alcoombe
timhen
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
munkian
HERSH
thomh
beshocked
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
aucklandlaurie
nathan
Adam D
Cryptoyourisan
Cardiff Dave
RuggerRadge2611
Portnoy
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
gowales
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Tigers (Canterbury) kit - Page 2 Empty New Tigers (Canterbury) kit

Post by gowales Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:15 am

First topic message reminder :

http://store.leicestertigers.com/stores/tigers/products/product_details.aspx?pid=102067
Spoiler:
vomit I feel sorry for you guys

http://store.leicestertigers.com/stores/tigers/products/product_details.aspx?pid=102097
Spoiler:
Don't even get me started on that one...

Edit: KRD
The strip does look a little better on the players - http://www.v2journal.com/leicester-tigers-home-kit-for-201213-released.html

Last edited by gowales on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

New Tigers (Canterbury) kit - Page 2 Empty Re: New Tigers (Canterbury) kit

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

Jeez,
I just saw that new Tigers jersey. I always used to respect Tigers for not pushing the limits and retaining some form of good taste and simplicity.
Unfortunately............

These new jerseys are probably the worst, butt-ugly things I have ever seen.

You guys are doomed. No one can win looking like a laughing stock.
Sorry.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 30 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

It is a total commercial sell-out isn't it Doc?

Strange ting is that the 'real' tiger stripes could have been a winner on it's own without the mega catepillar ad.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Mon 30 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

The plain green part is the best thing about it, the real styled stripes are an ugly joke. I keep on thinking of the old Chewits wrappers.

Did Canterbury have a competition to come up with a more repellent shirt than even Stade could imagine?

I'm dreading the England one now, half expecting a winding rose up the side like the tattoo of a Vegas stripper.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

Port,
If this ain't a sell out, not sure what is. A sell out to the sponsor and a sell out to Canterbury's horrible design taste. I truly think Canterbury jerseys are getting sillier and more embarassing each year, but I never thought Leicester would buy what they are selling. I can't imagine anyone sober buying these supporter jerseys.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm

Portnoy wrote:It is a total commercial sell-out isn't it Doc?

Strange ting is that the 'real' tiger stripes could have been a winner on it's own without the mega catepillar ad.

a sell out? care to explain why you think it's a sell out? As i've said before, the "mega catepillar ad" you speak of is the exact same size as before!! Tigers earn a bit more than they did before with Cotton Traders, but not loads!

Also what do you think the club is run on, pixie dust and unicorn tear drops?

I can see why people don't like the shirt but to call it a sell out is just a bit strange...

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Port,
If this ain't a sell out, not sure what is. A sell out to the sponsor and a sell out to Canterbury's horrible design taste. I truly think Canterbury jerseys are getting sillier and more embarassing each year, but I never thought Leicester would buy what they are selling. I can't imagine anyone sober buying these supporter jerseys.

as i said to Portney, i don't understand why people are calling it a sell out, the sponsor logo is the same size as before?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

yappysnap wrote:Have Glos ever had a poor shirt? I've always thought they've been quite sensible.

Likewise Quins, yes it's loud but actually not too bad and there are never too many changes to it. Only the BG shirts which can be odd, but I also love my original BG shirt.

Yep! Mostly our away shirts, but our home kit c.5 years ago had that awful crossover over of a ladder & Liz Hurley's pin dress!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
Yep! Mostly our away shirts, but our home kit c.5 years ago had that awful crossover over of a ladder & Liz Hurley's pin dress!

Oh god, now i will be going to bed with the image of Peter Buxton in that versace dress ingrained on my sordid mind.

Thanks Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Tue 01 May 2012, 12:30 am

No wonder the players looked so p*ssed off and moody in the teaser video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58yF6z8kR7o

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 May 2012, 3:08 am

Nathan, I can tell you why I see the Tigers jersey as a sell out. I can't speak for Portnoy, but I am sure we are close in our reasoning.

First, the design of the shirt does bring out the Caterpillar name. But as you said, the name is printed the same size as in the past. Secondly, the design is so awful (ahem, unique and highly visible) that it draws people to look at the company who made the jersey in a manner which places the jersey design/manufacturer ahead of the team. In other words, highlights the Canterbury brand, which in a way, is just as obvious in its own way as the Caterpillar name. Does nothing for the Leicester Tigers image or brand, except to make them an object of ridicule.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 May 2012, 11:14 am

Does nothing for the Leicester Tigers image or brand, except to make them an object of ridicule.

Yet it's still nicer than the 'platinum' kit we have to wear whenever we travel away from Welford Rd. It will also be available to the fans before October which was not the case with the amatuers at Cotton Traders who were well versed at getting the kit to the shops too late for the start of the season every year.

It's not great but there are some positives to come out of it (it's growing on me).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 01 May 2012, 11:31 am

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Actually the more i see it the more i kind of like it! What i want to know is who let the tiny person in next to Manu? (I take it that's George Ford, he really is very small!)
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 May 2012, 12:12 pm

Actually the more i see it the more i kind of like it! What i want to know is who let the tiny person in next to Manu? (I take it that's George Ford, he really is very small!)

Yep that's all 12 and half stone of George Ford. If you watch the crappy video they released showing the filming he looks a bit nervous as he mingles with the Tigers big names, strange as he's a midfield general on it. Good to see him included as it's a definite signal of Tigers intent for next season, Ford will play.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 01 May 2012, 2:18 pm

I have been impressed whenever i've seen him play. Just reminds me of that old Pizza hut advert with Jonah Lomu and Rory Underwood(?). Have i made that up or is my memory correct?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 May 2012, 6:10 pm

That jersey is growing on you? Like the fungus which just keeps growing on you between your toes and in other dark and moist places?

No offense intended, but have you been drinking, smoking, injecting or hit your head?
That is truly the horrible-ist jersey I have ever seen.
And as a Saints fan, gives me no end of joy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 01 May 2012, 6:13 pm

doctor_grey wrote:That jersey is growing on you? Like the fungus which just keeps growing on you between your toes and in other dark and moist places?

No offense intended, but have you been drinking, smoking, injecting or hit your head?

Oh I see. You're one of those "if you disagree with me you're wrong" are you? Whistle

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 May 2012, 6:18 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Oh I see. You're one of those "if you disagree with me you're wrong" are you? Whistle
Well, not quite. Ask my wife. I haven't been right in all the years I've know her. Twenty years of continuous wrongness.

But about these jerseys, yes. I am right (she agrees).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 01 May 2012, 6:31 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Oh I see. You're one of those "if you disagree with me you're wrong" are you? Whistle
Well, not quite. Ask my wife. I haven't been right in all the years I've know her. Twenty years of continuous wrongness.

But about these jerseys, yes. I am right (she agrees).
I also agree, but then I'm a fellow Saints fan so what do I know Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 01 May 2012, 8:54 pm

Well i like it.

IF you think thats a debacle...you should check out the new Falcons top...meh. Im gonna have the pleasure of wearing this horror in the championship...IF i buy it!

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/falcons-shirt-unveiled-at-media-launch

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 01 May 2012, 8:59 pm

That a championship looking kit to me Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 01 May 2012, 11:08 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Nathan, I can tell you why I see the Tigers jersey as a sell out. I can't speak for Portnoy, but I am sure we are close in our reasoning.

First, the design of the shirt does bring out the Caterpillar name. But as you said, the name is printed the same size as in the past. Secondly, the design is so awful (ahem, unique and highly visible) that it draws people to look at the company who made the jersey in a manner which places the jersey design/manufacturer ahead of the team. In other words, highlights the Canterbury brand, which in a way, is just as obvious in its own way as the Caterpillar name. Does nothing for the Leicester Tigers image or brand, except to make them an object of ridicule.

So in effect, your calling the Tigers a sell out because you don't like the new kit?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 01 May 2012, 11:09 pm

doctor_grey wrote:That jersey is growing on you? Like the fungus which just keeps growing on you between your toes and in other dark and moist places?

and there we go! the reasoning for your sell out comments! lol

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 02 May 2012, 9:24 am

That jersey is growing on you? Like the fungus which just keeps growing on you between your toes and in other dark and moist places?

No, in Leicestershire we're not quite as backward as you lot down the motorway. We have showers and damp proofing kits. Hence things don't grow between our toes or in any other places. thumbsup

The shirts are less appalling then the 'platinum' kit (I'll say it again because it's what I think every time I see them) so I can live with them. I won't buy one but I don't mind them. We'll see how the boys get on in them on Saturday. Now speaking of Saturday, Bath are coming to town and if you want to see the APs worse kit their white and blue (flame/wave?) number is truely embarrassing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 02 May 2012, 9:57 am

When did you get showers? I've seen them in movies. Cricky mate, we send everyone to Billing Aquadome twice a year for a dunk in the lake. Keeps 'em clean for the rest of the year.

I'd agree, I don't care for that 'platinum' attire as it doesn't seem very, well, Leicester. But at least it is basically monochrome, and I don't find it offensive. One thing I always respected about Leicester kit is that it was usually fairly conservative and classy. This new kit is completely the opposite. Seems like a clown suit, at least from the pictures. I am not sure that Bath is worse than your new kit, but let's suspend judgement until we see them on Saturday. It is pretty poor. Then we can agree (or not). Certainly we can have a go at both of them......

Its probably the whole trend to these goofy, silly new styles which drives me bananas. My Saints are not completely innocent here either. Some of their kit in recent years has not been too great either. Perhaps it is seeing a team which I respec.........appreciat......,er, though might be OK going further over to the dark side which bothers me as well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 02 May 2012, 10:31 am

Problem is that all the classic looking hoop shirts were looking to similar and so Canterbury had to do something non-standard in order for their shirts not to look identical to the CT ones. Now the next shirt Canterbury do after this might well be a more classical design but this shirt had to be a bit different.

Now the away shirt is the key. A not so horrible one for the first time in years would be good. The Tigers Euro one will hopefully be used as inspiration and the green and white on the home shirts just swapped round. Nice, simple and to the point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 02 May 2012, 10:55 am

Agree completely about the away jersey. Never understood how a team with your colours ended up with platinum, er. grey, road jerseys. Can't imagine many of the replica road jerseys were ever sold.

I understand your point about the need for the home jersey to be different. But I would have to assume it could have be done more tastefully (in my opinion). I am sure this will end up as one of those like or or don't like it kind of kit. Hopefully back to basics in the not too distant future. And if Tigers don't win anything next season, I will be sure to blame some of it on the jersey.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 02 May 2012, 11:56 am

doctor_grey wrote:Agree completely about the away jersey. Never understood how a team with your colours ended up with platinum, er. grey, road jerseys. Can't imagine many of the replica road jerseys were ever sold.

Away jerseys are an odd one. Super rugby teams all used to have a predominantly white away strip, but then Adidas decided to recycle the horrible grey colour they used for the AB's 2007 RWC away strip and use it for all the NZ franchises
Spoiler:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Wed 02 May 2012, 2:59 pm

I like the Highlanders green away kit. I must have a thing for lime green as I've really liked Leeds' reversion to the old Headingley kit as well.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 02 May 2012, 3:08 pm

johnpartle wrote:I like the Highlanders green away kit. I must have a thing for lime green as I've really liked Leeds' reversion to the old Headingley kit as well.

I like it too. It was orginally going to be their home kit this season (in attempt to get away from the whole Otago vs Southland thing) but a public outcry meant the blue, gold and maroon was retained.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Wed 02 May 2012, 3:45 pm

I didn't realise that Kiwi. I can understand people wanting to retain the colours of the old clubs and I think the blue one is a decent enough shirt, though the green edges if for me. It's certainly better than the old maroon away shirt which had an insipid 70s pensioner hue to it.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 02 May 2012, 5:31 pm

johnpartle wrote:I didn't realise that Kiwi. I can understand people wanting to retain the colours of the old clubs and I think the blue one is a decent enough shirt, though the green edges if for me. It's certainly better than the old maroon away shirt which had an insipid 70s pensioner hue to it.

The 3 provincial unions making up the Highlanders:
Otago play in blue & gold
Southland play in maroon, gold and white
North Otago (who play in the "Heartland" amateur division of the INL cup) play in gold, maroon and blue

Otago vs Southland is one of the old traditional New Zealand rugby rivalries, the 2 unions were very strong in the pre- and post-WWII years(an old joke has it that the NZRU wanted to dye the Otago team's jerseys black and send them on mass for the tour to SA in 1949, but the Auckland wharfies refused to load the ship unless some Auckland players went). The "Southern style" ("Position, Possession and Pace") with it's emphasis on the ruck/breakdown that still defines NZ rugby emerged there.

Over the last few seasons attendances in Dunedin plumeted for both Otago and the Highlanders, largely due to poor performances, leading to the Otago union going into administration this year.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 15 May 2012, 10:53 am

After having seen the new shirt in action, I can confirm my opinion that the billboard bib is horrendous and that the 'naturalistic' stripes are cartoonish.

[ed - but still eighty quid]

This is a shirt -
no corporate badge (just the Leicester arms).
a simple (local main sponsor) splash (well we're not Barcelona sadly in that respect).
and a proper shade of green.

That's a shirt.]

I shouldn't quote myself I know. But this is the image of a proper Tigers' shirt:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=leicester+tigers+john+player+cup&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=D1F&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&biw=1366&bih=579&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=nY44ClRymx1r6M:&imgrefurl=http://www.premiershiprugby.com/information/history.php&docid=w8E7aeas4a_-qM&imgurl=http://www.premiershiprugby.com/images/content/tigers_dunbar_490.jpg&w=490&h=323&ei=nC2yT5AJg9XRBZTKzLMJ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=670&vpy=4&dur=1884&hovh=182&hovw=277&tx=185&ty=124&sig=112092907440510976659&page=3&tbnh=117&tbnw=177&start=48&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:48,i:231

Last edited by Portnoy on Tue 15 May 2012, 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 15 May 2012, 11:19 am

I thought it looked a lot better on the players. Actually it's really grown on me and I quite like the kit now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 15 May 2012, 11:31 am

yappysnap wrote:I thought it looked a lot better on the players. Actually it's really grown on me and I quite like the kit now.

I saw someone wearing one of the new shirts at the 7s on Sunday, didn't look too bad (admittedly that was in comparison to the costumes on display Wink )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 May 2012, 12:03 pm

I have given it two matches and here goes:

On the players it looks OK (to a degree)

On male fans it looks hideous. It makes them look like the village idiot with the classic being the worst.

On female fans the classic is terrible beyond measure. On shapely female fans the Test kit is rather pleasant on the eye, just don't get caught staring.

all in all having seen it in the flesh for two matches I can honestly say I will not be buying it.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 15 May 2012, 12:05 pm

If you are going to do a naturalistic tiger print it should be from a natural tiger and not from a Walt Disney Shere Khan or a SpongeBob SquarePants representation.

I'd love to hear locally-educated David Attenborough's view.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 May 2012, 12:39 pm

It's only a shirt, you'll get a new one next year. Don't fret about it!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 15 May 2012, 12:45 pm

It's only a shirt, you'll get a new one next year. Don't fret about it!

Tigers shirts generally last two years. The ones this season have only lasted a year in order to end the contract with Cotton Traders (there was a contract for so many shirts to be produced).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 May 2012, 12:51 pm

Ah, cheers Sam. Still, could be worse. Canterbury seem to have a formula and refuse to budge an inch. i quite liked the 'bib' when it first appeared on the intenational shirts but it just seems lazy now. 'Insert team colours here' job. I apprecite the attempt at Tiger stripes and think the players look good but agree your average punter is going to look fairly daft. Still i bought the Chief's Eurpoean shirt and still haven't had the guts to wear it yet!

Last edited by Carpe Diem on Tue 15 May 2012, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typoo)
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 15 May 2012, 12:54 pm

Some people sadly have to fret about things...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 15 May 2012, 12:55 pm

i'm still a fan, seem's about the only one! It's definately a grower.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 15 May 2012, 12:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:Some people sadly have to fret about things...

they do indeed, mentioning no names :p

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/14216.php

Away kit details. Baltic Blue.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:18 am

HongKongCherry wrote:It's not often we get the chance to laugh at Tigers, but... laughing Laugh

We've all been there. Every club has its turn of vile, marketing rubbish. In a few years time you'll return back to normal. You're not quite rivalling Stade or Bath yet!
Si signor.
Not all that frequent that we Saints fans have one up on Tigers, either.
I was walking near Whitehall on Saturday and there was a kids group being taken around and a few had the new Tigers's jersey. Gave me the chance for a good chuckle.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/14216.php

Think I prefer the home jersey, but the baltic blue is a considerable improvement on last year's grey imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:31 am

The grey shirts were the worst kit Tigers have ever had, we couldn't have been shot of them quick enough for me. I suspected Tigers would go blue, white and navy with the second kit, just glad they've made the navy and the blue significantly different from the Bath colours as that would have been bad if the colours were to similar (don't want to be accidentally mistaken for a vomit fan!).

The new kits look alright, don't think I'll get one but they could have been worse. After two seasons of this we'll probably return to the classic style kit.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

It looks a bit like camouflage. I agree with you Sam. I have certainly seen worse away shirts from clubs including yours.

At least it's got a bit of personality,some times I see some rugby shirts and think they look too boring.

All about balance.

To be honest I am bit stingy when it comes to new rugby shirts - they are normally very expensive IMO plus the old shirts show how long you've been supporting the club, ironically showing more loyalty than splashing on a new shirt.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

To be honest I am bit stingy when it comes to new rugby shirts - they are normally very expensive IMO plus the old shirts show how long you've been supporting the club, ironically showing more loyalty than splashing on a new shirt

I know, I was a bit sad when I found my current fitness regime (bulking up) had made my shoulders uncomfortably tight in my faded Tigers shirt from the nearly treble season (damn Pests!). I loved that old shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/14216.php

Blimey, they're a cheerful bunch aren't they! Do you think Tom Croft farted and Youngs and Flood are trying to keep a straight face?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

Carpe laughing

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down