The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working in sports - the press officer

Go down

Working in sports - the press officer Empty Working in sports - the press officer

Post by Adam D Mon 30 Apr - 8:30

(article by Chris Wilkerson)

http://v2journal.com/working-in-sports-press-officer.html

Looking beyond the faces and figureheads of every football team, the backroom staff are often kept in the shadows, quietly keeping a club ticking.

As kids (and maybe even deliriously dreamy adults) we all dreamed of making an impact as stars of the football scene. As time goes by we leave our thoughts of carrying our local team to glory and settle for being that 12th man in the stands, but the jobs in football extend beyond the players, the coaches and even the physios.
In the first of (hopefully) many insights into the roles around our clubs, the v2journal started with the first port of call for any journalist bugging a team for an interview: the Press Officer. Welcome to the stage Ralph Shepherd, Press Officer at League One Notts County FC; a lifelong Notts fan in his dream job.

Getting Into The Job

“I studied Sports Journalism at Leeds University and then went onto do a Postgraduate in Print Journalism there. Whilst studying I did a whole host of experience for plenty of newspapers, websites and sport teams including Leeds Ladies, Yorkshire Post, TeamTalk.com and the Nottingham Post. I sent around 60 CVs around the country and Notts were the only ones to get back to me to bring me in for an interview. I was chuffed. As I’ve always said, it’s my dream job.

“Being a fan obviously helps as you know all the history, know the fans, know the players, songs, etc. Then obviously a degree whether it be journalism or broadcast journalism is key as it’s not just writing stories, its being able to edit videos, organise the weekly pressers, editing the matchday programme and of course knowing how to interact with journalists and fans via email and through social networking.”

Ralph also got himself out there working, getting experience and trying to get his name out there in print, sometimes out of his comfort zone as he did reviews in art galleries around Leeds and even ‘Dog of the Week’ in Lancashire, doing the kind of entry level work you need to take the steps further up.

So, what’s a normal day for the Press Officer at Notts County?
The ever changing world of the interactivity has seen social media come to the fore. Twitter and Facebook are on the agenda, talking to the fans and answering their questions. Controlling interview requests from around the country for players and staff alike to editing the matchday magazine – “The Mag” – in season “it’s a 24/7 job”.

This also includes new ideas like Magpie Player, the growth in which is one of Ralph’s and the rest of the Media Team’s major successes in his three years at the club, trebling subscribers and keeping the fans in touch with Notts across the country by using the video-subscription service. The media team has also just won Best Video and Best Matchday Programme for League One from the Football League, not bad going. Three years have seen a title, a last day Survival Saturday and hopes for a playoff final this year, life can’t be all that bad when the worst part of your job is the side losing.
“Working for the football club I love, going to every game for free and covering Notts is amazing – I love my job!”

Controlling the Media

The fast-paced world of the sport media keeps things interesting too.

“It’s a tough job to keep transfers and Management changes quiet. With players and agents on Twitter and everyone talking to Sky Sports News, news does get out quickly. Obviously when a player has signed on the dotted line then we break the news on the Official Site as it’s official. Fans often get annoyed that it’s not on the OS, but that’s the rule we have.

“The players are normally very good. They tend to talk us first and to check we are okay with them doing interviews. Most requests go through us anyway.
“To be honest I think we have a good relationship with the players and the local media. In most cases we know what they want from us, and the publicity is great especially if it’s on a back-page, sport bulletin or on the local news. We have a weekly presser where they can talk to the Manager and players and the media know they can drop the media team a text and email and normally their request is met.”
After a dramatic win at Wycombe this weekend, Dele Adebola making it 3-3 in the 89th minute before Alan Judge’s stoppage time winner sent Wycombe down, The Magpies are level on points with Stevenage going into the final game of the season, one place outside the playoffs, goal difference means they must hope Stevenage slip up. But with possible clashes with local rivals Derby, Forest and Leicester just out of their grasp, Ralph is hoping to have a busy summer and an even busier season dealing with the big leagues.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down