The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests)

+14
alfie
Mike Selig
Pal Joey
LivinginItaly
Biltong
robbo277
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
hodge
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England v West Indies

Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap0%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap0%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap8%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap50%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 13 ]
Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap38%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 10 ]
Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_lcap4%Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Empty Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests)

Post by Duty281 Thu 03 May 2012, 3:25 pm

The English Test Summer starts in exactly 2 weeks with a 3 test series against the West Indies. Predictions?

I'll go 3-0 England, only the weather can stop them.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Empty Re: Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests)

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 03 May 2012, 3:33 pm

all about the weather really. If it holds, England are very very good at home while the conditions don't suit the WI. Expect their batsmen to really struggle, Chanderpaul to provide a few rearguard actions.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests) Empty Re: Predict the Series Score: England v West Indies (3 Tests)

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 03 May 2012, 4:25 pm

2-0 England, but only because I expect weather to affect at least one Test. Otherwise, a comfortable 3-0. Windies batsmen will struggle big style I imagine.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 03 May 2012, 5:04 pm

I like where West Indies are heading, but this will be all in England's favour.

The openers have technical deficiencies which Anderson can exploit, there are plenty of left-handers for Swann, and none of Roach, Rampaul and Edwards are prodigious swingers of the ball.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 03 May 2012, 8:46 pm

The Windies have improved. The weather forecast has worsened. Putting the two together, my shout is 1-0 England.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 03 May 2012, 8:47 pm

1 to be a washout otherwise Englands bowlers to win them the 2 test matches

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 03 May 2012, 8:53 pm

The Windies have improved, the series against Australia was a big step forward and if they can get Chris Gayle back in the fold (is he back in the Test side for this series?) he does help with their batting dilemmas. However, they were too prone to collapse on relatively flat wickets against a good, but not special, Aussie attack so I feel they will struggle in swinging conditions against Anderson, Broad et al. As well as some lefties for Swann to get his teeth into. Chanderpaul to be the key man as always.

I do feel their attack of Roach, Edwards, Rampaul, Sammy and Bishoo/Shillingford/Narine has some big potential though, so I can see them rolling England cheaply at least once (200 territory) and causing some concern, but we should have enough firepower to not fail twice in a game against this side.

So, I see 3 relatively close Test matches that England don't completely dominate, but I think it will be 2-0 with rain and Chanderpaul intervening to stop the whitewash.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 03 May 2012, 9:51 pm

I will go for 2 - 0 to England.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 03 May 2012, 9:59 pm

JDizzle wrote:The Windies have improved, the series against Australia was a big step forward and if they can get Chris Gayle back in the fold (is he back in the Test side for this series?) he does help with their batting dilemmas. However, they were too prone to collapse on relatively flat wickets against a good, but not special, Aussie attack so I feel they will struggle in swinging conditions against Anderson, Broad et al. As well as some lefties for Swann to get his teeth into. Chanderpaul to be the key man as always.

I do feel their attack of Roach, Edwards, Rampaul, Sammy and Bishoo/Shillingford/Narine has some big potential though, so I can see them rolling England cheaply at least once (200 territory) and causing some concern, but we should have enough firepower to not fail twice in a game against this side.

So, I see 3 relatively close Test matches that England don't completely dominate, but I think it will be 2-0 with rain and Chanderpaul intervening to stop the whitewash.

Gayle isn't in the Test squad. He will return to WI duty after his IPL commitments finish.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 03 May 2012, 11:03 pm

I said 3-0, but I didn't factor in the weather. I think it could well clear up in the next couple of weeks and if it does England stand a good chance of winning all three tests. A great bowling attack in home conditions should be too much for the West Indies batting line-up. Their two best batsmen (Bravo and Chanderpaul) are left-handers, so Swann is right in the game against those two. We need to win fairly convincingly after the 1-4 record in the winter and bigger tests to come later in the year.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 May 2012, 6:57 am

I've gone for 2-0 England, somewhere a tests may rain out.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 04 May 2012, 9:17 am

2-0 to England as I can see rain affecting at least one game. I see parts of the series being closely contested, but with England being dominant in other parts.

More specifically I think the English batsmen v WI bowlers will be a good contest particularly in the first innings if England bat first. However, I think the English bowlers will dominate the WI batsmen and consistently dismiss them for lowish totals, with only the likes of Chanderpaul offering any resistance.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 May 2012, 10:47 am

2-0 too. If the weather holds out; then 3-0 to England.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 May 2012, 10:55 am

I think over the last few test series, my predictions have been accurate every time. the only one I got wrong was SA vs NZ, due to the two matches that rained out.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 May 2012, 12:40 pm

biltongbek wrote:I think over the last few test series, my predictions have been accurate every time. the only one I got wrong was SA vs NZ, due to the two matches that rained out.

If I may add to that - you have also been very humble in victory and gracious in defeat, my friend. Hug

The last one I got very wrong was the Ashes (got the 3-1 but alas, wrong winner), undercooked Australia-India (should have gone for more) and I knew Pakistan was going to do well but was very conservative in my tipping.

I would love to see WI doing well in one match but they'll have to have all the moons aligned, players suddenly in dominating form and England falling in a heap. I can't see that happening. So at least 2-0 I'm predicting.

The SA Series is much tougher... at the moment I'm slightly favouring England at home. It will be close and competitive for sure. It could be 2-1 either way or perhaps a 1-1 draw.

So who are you tipping to win the IPL, BB? Whistle

(just kidding mate.... you don't have to answer)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 May 2012, 12:53 pm

Yeah the SA vs England series is going to be a tough one to predict. What worries me is the fact that our guys aren't spending time in the middle whilst
England will be able to play three tests whilst in the West Indies.

so once again we are going to play a test series vs them without playing for a few months.

I have been watching with interest the perfromaces of Vernon Philander in the county scene, and thus far he has taken 15 wickets in 3 matches at an average of around 17.5

So at least he looks like getting some time on the pitch.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 May 2012, 12:57 pm

Great average... almost identical to his Test average isn't it?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 May 2012, 12:58 pm

More in line with his recent domestic average, his test one is below 14, but realistically it won't stay there. surely it can't?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 May 2012, 1:27 pm

Eventually it might go out to around 20... after a few years? It's hard to predict. We'll know more after this series.

Some bowlers start low and stay low-low(ish) whilst others start their Test careers with blown out figures and bring them back to something astonishing.

So there is a chance Philander can maintain a great bowling S/R for not many runs... get loads of wickets each season and still have an average below 20!

I'm hoping Pattinson (18.96) and Cummins (16.71) can keep theirs under 22 say. That would be a deadly strike pair if they can hang in there without injuries for a few years and get more wickets under their belts.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 04 May 2012, 1:33 pm

I get the feeling there is a global resurgence in fast bowling, OK you won't call Philander fast, but looking at bowlers who can keep it above 130 km/h there are quite a number coming up now.

Anderson is a good example of what you are talking about. His average was above thirty in the beginning of his intternational career, and the last two years he was below 24.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 04 May 2012, 2:25 pm

Agree pretty much word for word with JD. England's bowling will have too much firepower, I think Bravo may struggle against the swinging ball, and then of course Swann if needed.

England's batting is a bit fragile at times still, and the West Indies may well roll them over once, but surely not twice in the same test, which is what you'd feel they need for a win.

3-0 (albeit with at least one hard fought test) unless the weather intervenes.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Philander hasn't bowled too well in the county championship, chaps. He looks slightly overweight, slow, and largely unthreatening (but very accurate).

He has picked up wickets, as any bowler worth their salt will do in these early season English conditions, but by no means is that man a world beater.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 05 May 2012, 10:26 am

Thanks for the update Fists.

So, he's taken the foot off the pedal then, you reckon or just not firing like he was when playing against Australia and SL in home conditions?

That's quite a significant observation. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 05 May 2012, 11:14 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Philander hasn't bowled too well in the county championship, chaps. He looks slightly overweight, slow, and largely unthreatening (but very accurate).

He has picked up wickets, as any bowler worth their salt will do in these early season English conditions, but by no means is that man a world beater.

I think he bowled exceptionally in the first game. I get the impression that the threat of injuries have led both him and CSA to question the wisdom of him going all out in these Championship matches (the contract was signed before he was a certain pick of course). I saw all of SA's Tests over the winter on TV, and he was superb - quicker than some are giving him credit for, probing and swinging the ball. I think he will do well this summer.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 05 May 2012, 2:00 pm

I think he's a yard quicker than you realise, and as Shelsey says probes and swings the ball. He works the batsman over. Comparisons have been made with Glenn McGrath, but I think Philander swings it more. He'll be a big threat in England.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 May 2012, 2:37 pm

I've been very impressed by Philander in his first few Tests...OK , the average he has at the moment is ridiculous and can't last , but even if we concede he has been a little bit "blessed" by these early results he is clearly going to be a very good bowler - and English conditions should suit him very well...

But that has to wait : this is about England v West Indies , and here I wil go with the 3-0 crowd. I think both teams are stronger in bowling , so even if a deal of time is lost to weather in a match or matches I would still fancy a result. And although I note West Indies are showing good spirit under Sammy , and no little improvement, they still look a bit light on in batting to actually upset England at this time.
England will not want to take them lightly though. They gave Australia a few anxious moments recently, and England's own batting has been known to suffer the odd collapse...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 May 2012, 9:57 am

2-0 to england, with a game being rain affected

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 May 2012, 9:05 pm

Out of 18 who have voted so far only one person thinks the Windies will win even one test....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 07 May 2012, 5:06 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Out of 18 who have voted so far only one person thinks the Windies will win even one test....

Not too surprising. Recently they've done very poorly in early summer tours to England (mutterings about the cold, and not looking all that bothered) and they've just come off a series against Australia in home conditions, where despite having chances in all the games, they lost 2-0. England are stronger in all compartments than Australia bar the middle-order (arguably)...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 07 May 2012, 6:58 am

Biggest problem for West Indies is their reliance on Chanderpaul to get a score over 300.

If he doesn't fire they rarely if ever get more than that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 May 2012, 12:19 pm

Shiv is their only hope...without Gayle,nash,Sarwan's expereince, if shiv fails, then the windies will fail.

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 09 May 2012, 1:51 pm

3-0 England given the attitude the previous WI team came to England with. Plus, they aren't very good.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 5:52 pm

i personally hope england go in with this side for the first test:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Stokes
Prior (wk)
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Finn

however i think this will be the side

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Bopara
Prior (wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 09 May 2012, 9:29 pm

CF wrote:i personally hope england go in with this side for the first test:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Stokes
Prior (wk)
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Finn

however i think this will be the side

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Bopara
Prior (wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Stokes hasn't shown the form or fitness to justify consideration IMO. I have gone on about Bopara needing an opportunity on other threads so see him as my number six.

I want Bresnan and Finn in the team, but I have to choose one. At this point I'm going to pick Bresnan. Though that is very harsh on Finn. The rest picks itself.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 09 May 2012, 10:22 pm

I actually think England will go with Finn above Bresnan. Bopara at 6 isn't a given either, but is the more likely option. The balance in the last test in SL was excellent, but in may in England against the WI they won't need the extra spinning option. Given England didn't seem to trust Patel at 6 in SL, they must view Bopara as the safer bet there.

Stokes I'm unconvinced by as of yet. No one in England is really making enough big runs to force their way into contention (bar Nick Compton maybe, but he would be very left-field). My wildcard: David Malan of Middlesex. Has made runs on some tricky pitches (including a crucial 80-odd in the low scoring win against Surrey) and seems to have excellent temperament which is needed for test cricket.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 10 May 2012, 2:56 pm

First real test here for the West Indies against the Lions. From 29/4 they are recovering somewhat to 77/4 with Darren Bravo and Samuels putting together a partnership. Jack Brooks got a couple of wickets, with 1 each for Dernbach (who I'm not sure will ever be a test player) and Matt Coles (who may well be, he looks a tremendous prospect).

England really do have a ridiculous fast bowling talent pool: Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Finn, Tremlett are all proven international quality; so is Onions when fit; then you've got the up and coming youngsters with a bit of international experience like Woakes, Dernbach, Meaker; then there's prospects like Coles, Harris, Rolland-Jones... probably loads others I've missed out, but Woakes and Dernbach aside, I reckon all the others are potential test quality.

I'm not as convinced as Shelsey is about the merits of Bopara, but he has sat out for a while now and has been next in line. Those who say he has had loads of chances need to fact-check, he has had 2 previous runs in the side, one in Sri Lanka hopelessly before he was ready, and then batting at 3 against Australia who worked him over (he did score some cheap runs against the West Indies but...). I'm happy for him to get another chance for continuity reasons if nothing else.

I certainly don't think Stokes is anywhere near ready. If England are using one-day performances as their basis then Bairstow is easily in front of him, but really those two need another year's experience of building innings at least. Putting them in now given the series against South Africa would be madness.

Nick Compton would be an interesting choice, and if he scores enough runs in this game I wouldn't be too surprised to see it. Certainly a more likely pick than Stokes.

Dawid Malan is an interesting one (aside from being South African :-)): I first saw him play a few years ago against I think Essex and he made 70odd rescuing his side from 50-3 or 4 or something like that; I remarked to my granmother that I would be very surprised if this guy didn't play for England some day. He seems to have failed to kick on as much as I thought he would (he is yet to enjoy a huge run-scoring season); I think he is of that rare breed who needs a challenge to lift himself, most of his best innings come with his side in trouble and/or on tough wickets; conversely when his side racks up the runs he often fails. I refer to these guys as "pure competitors", and quite like that type of player (I know of a similar one) because the higher the standard the better they play. Trescothick was a bit like that. Malan has a solid technique (although prone to LBWs) and is a good fielder. But to bring himself to the attention of the selectors he may need that wonder year.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 10 May 2012, 3:22 pm

worryingly for WI, their first-choice top-order (or at least guys who will be in contention, Brathwaite isn't playing of course) have failed against what's probably England's third choice seam attack (assuming Bresnan/Finn, Tremlett and Onions is their second choice). You don't expect them to fare much better against Jimmy and co really. Positive sign is that at least Bravo and Samuels are making a fight of it.

Interesting that Compton's been picked for the Lions, deserves it off the start of his season, and if he can make a big score here he could really force his way into the reckoning IMO. Bopara isn't playing for the Lions, but for Essex...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 10 May 2012, 5:00 pm

Good all around effort from the Lions, Windies out for 147 - Chanders made 6!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 10 May 2012, 5:37 pm

Just made me laugh that the Lions finished on 12-1, Root the man out, and Carberry was 6* off 19 balls with no fours but one six!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 10 May 2012, 5:38 pm

Oh, and Strauss failed again. Only two against Notts before falling to Harry Gurney. Obviously he'll start against the Windies but he really does need some runs for England this summer.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 10 May 2012, 8:32 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Dawid Malan ... I remarked to my granmother ... most of his best innings come with his side in trouble and/or on tough wickets ... I refer to these guys as "pure competitors", and quite like that type of player (I know of a similar one) ...
I know of a similar one too. Wink

PS Mike - You clearly don't like ''d''s in the middle of names. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 11 May 2012, 10:57 am

1-0 as I am not hopeful of our weather improving.Our bowlers will be too good for them.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 11 May 2012, 10:57 am

1-0 as I am not hopeful of our weather improving.Our bowlers will be too good for them.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 May 2012, 3:07 pm

better day for the WI today who had a good pre-lunch session picking up four wickets. Bairstow and Taylor now putting on a good partnership for the Lions though. This is a great chance for those two to impress the selectors and make a claim for that n°6 spot (Patel failed and Compton got a start only - not enough).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 4:07 pm

Come on Jimmy! Very Happy

Bairstow fell for 50, and Taylor is now 73*. If he tons up, then he has made his case very well. Touch wood!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 5:16 pm

99*! Come on!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Yahoo Yahoo

103*! Pick the man now! Still expect Bopara to be named in the Test squad, although there is an injury concern over him as he left the field for Essex today but Taylor has staked his claim as well as he possibly could have.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 11 May 2012, 5:28 pm

Well done Taylor (after I doubted him earlier in the season!)

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 11 May 2012, 5:32 pm

I think it has been coming. He has made a lot of 20's and 30's for Notts without kicking on, so this is just him kicking on for a big score. Something that has never been a problem for him before!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 11 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Gone for 3-0 England.

The Windies are, how can I put this nicely, complete garbage in Tests especially away from home. We keep hearing about this revival but where are the results to back that up? Does revival mean there hasn't been a contractual dispute for a while?

Sammy shouldn't be in the team. The rest of the bowlers are inconsistent and/or injury prone. Their batting is very poor, relying on the oldest player in the team.

So, yes 3-0, even if it rains I feel there wont be enought time taken out of any match for them to scrape a draw!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next