The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

+35
Cari
SirBurger
neilthom7
Shauna784
Feckless Rogue
humphstheman
Pete330v2
Rava
geoff999rugby
Pot Hale
profitius
Suspicious lurker
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
marty2086
Gibson
Standulstermen
toml
JayMaster3000
red_stag
The Great Aukster
formerly known as Sam
geoff998rugby
Equo Troiano
MrsP
rodders
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HammerofThunor
clivemcl
Notch
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
mankiaow
BelfastDickVet
39 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish Empty Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by BelfastDickVet Fri 04 May 2012, 1:36 am

OUTHALF Ian Humphreys is set to leave Ulster at the end of the season and return to the English Premiership with London Irish.

Humphreys, who returned to Ulster in 2008-09, after a successful stint with Leicester Tigers, is believed to have agreed a deal with the Exiles.

The recently turned 30-year-old has been to the forefront of the Ulster team for the past four years, but some indifferent form this year had resulted in his position being weakened.

Although he played in the entire Heineken Cup quarter-final win over Munster last month, he missed out on a start in the semi-final against Edinburgh.

However, Humphreys was instrumental in steering Ulster to the crucial home win over Clermont Auvergne in the opening European pool win, displaying the talent most Ravenhill fans have been accustomed to seeing from a player who has scored 617 points in 81 appearances.

The Ballymena man was also instrumental in guiding Ulster to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals for the first time in 12 years the previous season, with one of the stand out moments being a long rang and crucial last gasp penalty against Biarritz at Ravenhill which kept the side on course for the last eight from their pool.

Humphreys, who is on the bench for tomorrow’s last PRO12 game in Munster, is expected to feature in the Heineken Cup final.

this is crazy stuff, i don't think even Geoff saw this coming. this is a real loss, granted his form was up and down at times but he is a wealth of experience for Young paddy Jackson to feed off. Who will replace him? steenson....Nial O'connor.....Madigan? (the last one is wishful thinking on my part and the other two are currently under contract so i doubt they will be considered)

This signing does show London Irish's intentions to bring the Irish element back into their club

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by BelfastDickVet Fri 04 May 2012, 1:50 am

it also shows how committed to the cause Humph Snr really is, no room for sentiment in professional sport!

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by mankiaow Fri 04 May 2012, 2:03 am

Time waits for no man, especially rugby players. The guy is 30 years old and still has a huge amount to offer.

I can completely understand it.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 04 May 2012, 7:21 am

Great signing for us, absolutely delighted with that.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 04 May 2012, 7:31 am

Madigan signed a 2 year with Leinster.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 04 May 2012, 7:34 am

That's bizarre, I was only talking about him signing elsewhere yesterday.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 7:51 am

I wonder if James McKinney will still be going to Rotherham.

Next season, Paddy Jackson as first choice... but then we need another 10. I think we should retain McKinney.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 7:57 am

Do you realise this means London Irish will have a halfback partnership of Tomas O'Leary and Ian Humphreys next year? Shocked

I wouldn't want to be an Irish fan if both those guys have a flakey day at the same time. Yikes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 8:07 am

WOW! Crazy news.

I would suggest this was in the pipeline even before the quarters. It probably made the decision to start Jackson in the semi easier. There was no point in putting off the inevitable kind of thing.

Is there really no news on an NIQ 10? Definatly backrow? I do think Jackson is ready to be a solid performer for us, but are they really going to leave it with Pienaar and Wallace as the 10 cover if mckinney goes?

Is there another young 10 kicking about that I've forgot?

Quite a shock. And we must say a big thankyou to Ian Humphries. He isn't at the level required for now but he has been a good servant, and he showed some moments of brilliance over the years! All the best iHumph! clap clap clap

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 04 May 2012, 8:11 am

Notch wrote:Do you realise this means London Irish will have a halfback partnership of Tomas O'Leary and Ian Humphreys next year? Shocked

I wouldn't want to be an Irish fan if both those guys have a flakey day at the same time. Yikes.

It's ok they've got the solid Geraghty there as well. At least kicking accuracy isn't important with Homer in the team

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 04 May 2012, 8:17 am

Notch wrote:Do you realise this means London Irish will have a halfback partnership of Tomas O'Leary and Ian Humphreys next year? Shocked

Oh ye of little faith. I expect TOL to really come back strong next season and think he will be a great acquisition for us. You know with iHumph that he will have off days, but I will take that as when he is firing he can set the backline alight.

9. O'Leary
10. Humphreys
11. Tagickaibau
12. Sa
13. Joseph
14. Ojo
15. Homer

21. Allinson
22. Geraghty
23. Yarde

I am happy with that as a backline. Couple of Irishmen in the side which I have longed for at the club for a while, couple of powerful Samoans and 5 academy products. Really happy with what Brian Smith is doing since he came back. Optimistic for next season, although I would be more confident if we signed a top class tighthead as it is our biggest area of weakness at the moment.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 8:31 am

Ouch, so not even a bench spot for your Scots (Samson, Shingler and Ansbro)? Erm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 04 May 2012, 8:44 am

Us Ulster fans do give IH a hard time on occasions but when he's at his best I shall continue to maintain he's a better player than sexton. It's just that these flashes of brilliance occur so sporadically not just throughout the season but even in games. Leaves Ulster a bit short though...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 8:48 am

Sexton for Ireland maybe, Willy, but not Sexton for Leinster, surely?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 8:48 am

Shocked aw man! Cry

Poor old Humph! No one loves him! Hug

Sorry to see him go, even more bizarre given McKinney is offski too. Does this mean there is a NIQ OH on there way??....a certain mr Wilkinson perhaps???...... dum dum dum..... Whistle

Best of luck to Humph at LI, I think he'll do a cracking job there. Hes a super talented player with the ball in hand and has been a match winner for us on countless occaisions over the past few seasons. Despite his patchy form this year and poor defence I still think hes a big loss.

Justice 4 Humph! guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 8:49 am

WillyGilly wrote:Us Ulster fans do give IH a hard time on occasions but when he's at his best I shall continue to maintain he's a better player than sexton. It's just that these flashes of brilliance occur so sporadically not just throughout the season but even in games. Leaves Ulster a bit short though...

In attack he can be brilliant but in defence....

When we watched back the Quarter Final I nearly cried when I saw where he was in the build up to Zebo's try. It's not just his lack of ability or inclination to tackle, it's his positioning that is way out too.

Hopefully a new environment will give him the boost he needs to get back to form.

Last edited by MrsP on Fri 04 May 2012, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 9:00 am

I'm sorry for Humph he has to leave, but I'm more concerned about our current strength in depth. Paddy Jackson is just 20; ready to play more, but he is the only 'true' outhalf at Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 9:07 am

So...

1st choice Jackson
2nd choice Ruan
3rd choice Paddy Wallace
4th choice...?

Theres surely a signing to be made even if just a squad player. I've no issue with Jackson starting, but we are far too light here.

In saying that, Paul Marshalls good form has seen Ruan shift to 10 a lot this season which is part of the reason Jackson got hardly any gametime. If a player came in as backup 10, he would rarely even get a bench spot.

Must be academy options is there? Is Mckinney definatly gone?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 04 May 2012, 9:12 am

Oh my goodness, thats two 'actual' Irish players that London Irish have signed since Christmas.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 9:17 am

As I mentioned elsewhere there is a 10 coming in - almost certaintly IQ.

Madigan I hope for, NOC/Staunton seem more likely though

This has really come form left field - the other players didn't know about it.

I agree with Notch - not good enough.
I would keep McKinney now.

So London Irish may start with TOL and Humphreys at 9 and 10.
Seriously that is not good.
Whats the price on them being relegated - they will compete for nothing with them as half backs.

It does increase my admiration of David Humphreys - he is one hard nosed so and so who will do what ever it takes to improve Ulster. Including getting rid of his brother Shocked

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Fri 04 May 2012, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 May 2012, 9:18 am

Jeremy Staunton has been released by Tigers...

He's used to watching from the stands or in emergencies from the bench. Solid and reliably average in every department.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 9:20 am

Staunton seem quite likely.

Backup for Jackson

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 9:23 am

Ahhh Not Staunton!!!!!!! steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 9:24 am

like I've said, with Ruan he won't hardly even see the bench. I wouldnt be interested if I was a 10 looking a new club!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 04 May 2012, 10:03 am

Ulster says NO to Staunton!

Seriously??

Why on earth (or any planet in the solar system) would Ulster sign Staunton? Would he be on a pay as you go contract?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 10:06 am

I wouldn't take him on a Pay to play contract!!

He's not to lace Niall O'Connor's boots!! censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 10:14 am

For goodness sake! steam What does it matter if its Staunton, for the 100th time, a back up 10 will not even be on the bench with Ruan and Jackson in the squad. And neither will have international duty.

This player will be called upon maybe once or twice in the season. Staunton would be grand for that requirement.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 10:16 am

Feic off Clive I don't want to see Staunton even carrying kit bags! He's useless! Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 10:18 am

Staunton is the ultimate journeyman. Ulster would be his 6th different club in 8 seasons.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 May 2012, 10:54 am

Ulster would be his 6th different club in 8 seasons

You sensationalist, that'll be his 6th club in 11/12 years of professional rugby. He is a journeyman but at 31 has a bit left in the tank before retirement and will be fine as a squad player. He's even managed 5 Ireland caps.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Fri 04 May 2012, 11:26 am

This is bad news. I have to question Hump Sr. on this one.

Does he think that Jackson will be ready to fight a season long campaign with Ulster, on two fronts? He's good but I am unsure if he has the mental toughness and experience to lead the Ulster back line for the whole season!

And of course if he gets injured then we are seriously lacking depth and the ability to compete on any front.

There best approach would have been to keep iHump and rotate Jackson in and out to build experience and confidence: a fact I am sure that Hump Sr. knows. Which leads me to think if there has been a falling out??

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri 04 May 2012, 11:29 am

you can question DH when you find out the replacement, not before

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 11:31 am

JayMaster3000 wrote: Does he think that Jackson will be ready to fight a season long campaign with Ulster, on two fronts? He's good but I am unsure if he has the mental toughness and experience to lead the Ulster back line for the whole season!

And of course if he gets injured then we are seriously lacking depth and the ability to compete on any front.

Jackson has a mental toughness than Humphreys doesn't come even remotely close to matching. Age isn't everything. This is one of the main reasons he is leaving.

Someone will come in re cover.
We also have have Pienaer, Walalce and possibly McKinney and/or Marshall who can play 10

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 May 2012, 11:32 am

There best approach would have been to keep iHump and rotate Jackson in and out to build experience and confidence: a fact I am sure that Hump Sr. knows. Which leads me to think if there has been a falling out??

or iHumph wasn't impressed by being dropped to the bench for the semi final and wasn't given assurances of his first team standing by Ulster. At 30 Humphries will be wanting to play every week not being brought in and out to facilitate the development of Jackson at 10 or Marshall at 9 (with Pienaar at 10). LI will offer him good first team options in an exciting backline for similar cash, why wait around as probable third choice/squad player?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 11:36 am

Humphreys is known for his hissy fits so that is more than likely.
Big brother is not impressed by players messing Ulster about, as can be seen by Botha's departure. He is also as hard as nails.

Your scenario is quite likely

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Fri 04 May 2012, 11:51 am

toml wrote:you can question DH when you find out the replacement, not before

This is true. I guess the jury is out until we see the new 10, if there is one and the new back row.

geoff998rugby wrote:Humphreys is known for his hissy fits so that is more than likely.
Big brother is not impressed by players messing Ulster about, as can be seen by Botha's departure. He is also as hard as nails.

Your scenario is quite likely

How does he mess around, what kind of hissy fits?

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 12:13 pm

Like a pre season friendly when he was told to go to 15 and refused point blank.

McLaughlin banished him for a few weeks and NOC played instead.

There have been others this year

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 12:17 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Ulster would be his 6th different club in 8 seasons

You sensationalist, that'll be his 6th club in 11/12 years of professional rugby. He is a journeyman but at 31 has a bit left in the tank before retirement and will be fine as a squad player. He's even managed 5 Ireland caps.

But its true he left these clubs in the following years:

2004 - Munster Rugby
2005 - NEC Harlequins
2007 - London Wasps
2009 - London Irish
2012 - Leicester Tigers

And now if he joins Ulster Rugby it will be 6th team since 2004.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 May 2012, 12:24 pm

True Staggy but seeing as he's spent 3 at Tigers it makes it sound like he's moved mid season or in a hurry previously which wasn't the case. He moved on because he was average and used as squad cover, Chuter commenting in the local paper has actually said he'll miss Staunton's banter in the changing room and that he is popular.

Like a pre season friendly when he was told to go to 15 and refused point blank

I remember his leaving Leicester was seen as suprising with a few fans less than impressed that we hadn't done more to keep him. One of those hissy fits would have seen him straight out the door though so maybe it makes sense in hind sight.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 3:59 pm

Munster flyhalf Declan Cusack is joining Ulster.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Wind up

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 4:06 pm

Stand no it isn't a windup

http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.com/2012/05/munster-reserve-fly-half-declan-cusack.html
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 May 2012, 4:08 pm

I know he has gone but I doubt he will be coming north

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 4:09 pm

Stag word of caution - that site is a joke regarding transfers.

It just looks on places like this and reports gossip as facts

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 4:11 pm

No bother geoff. I heard from Aslongas100ofusremain and got a text from a pal of mine who knows him saying he was off North. Limerick is a bit of a goldfish bowl. He'd be the same age as me and my pals so would know mutual people from school etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 4:15 pm

Galway's north of Limerick Run

Folks on the Ulster site seem convinved its NOC

I've heard nowt - lot of speculation for sure.
However I have heard whoever it is is a done deal.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 4:19 pm

red_stag wrote:No bother geoff. I heard from Aslongas100ofusremain and got a text from a pal of mine who knows him saying he was off North. Limerick is a bit of a goldfish bowl. He'd be the same age as me and my pals so would know mutual people from school etc.

Staggy, I heard it from Hugh - one of his mates from college in Cork is bessie's with Cusack

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 04 May 2012, 4:21 pm

I would hope we would take nikora over NOC. I don't see what has changed appreciably to take him back.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 04 May 2012, 4:25 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:As I mentioned elsewhere there is a 10 coming in - almost certaintly IQ.

Madigan I hope for, NOC/Staunton seem more likely though

This has really come form left field - the other players didn't know about it.

I agree with Notch - not good enough.
I would keep McKinney now.

So London Irish may start with TOL and Humphreys at 9 and 10.
Seriously that is not good.
Whats the price on them being relegated - they will compete for nothing with them as half backs.

It does increase my admiration of David Humphreys - he is one hard nosed so and so who will do what ever it takes to improve Ulster. Including getting rid of his brother Shocked

Madigan has just signed up for another 2 years Geoff. We need somone to carry Jonny's kicking-tee.

David Humphreys is ruthless. It good news for Ulster and bad news for slackers/those he reckons are not good enough to take them forward.

Ulster need a Berquist type in, to help Paddy J along imo.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Gavin Henson is looking for a club?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next