The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

+35
Cari
SirBurger
neilthom7
Shauna784
Feckless Rogue
humphstheman
Pete330v2
Rava
geoff999rugby
Pot Hale
profitius
Suspicious lurker
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
marty2086
Gibson
Standulstermen
toml
JayMaster3000
red_stag
The Great Aukster
formerly known as Sam
geoff998rugby
Equo Troiano
MrsP
rodders
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HammerofThunor
clivemcl
Notch
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
mankiaow
BelfastDickVet
39 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 4 Empty Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by BelfastDickVet Fri 04 May 2012, 1:36 am

First topic message reminder :

OUTHALF Ian Humphreys is set to leave Ulster at the end of the season and return to the English Premiership with London Irish.

Humphreys, who returned to Ulster in 2008-09, after a successful stint with Leicester Tigers, is believed to have agreed a deal with the Exiles.

The recently turned 30-year-old has been to the forefront of the Ulster team for the past four years, but some indifferent form this year had resulted in his position being weakened.

Although he played in the entire Heineken Cup quarter-final win over Munster last month, he missed out on a start in the semi-final against Edinburgh.

However, Humphreys was instrumental in steering Ulster to the crucial home win over Clermont Auvergne in the opening European pool win, displaying the talent most Ravenhill fans have been accustomed to seeing from a player who has scored 617 points in 81 appearances.

The Ballymena man was also instrumental in guiding Ulster to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals for the first time in 12 years the previous season, with one of the stand out moments being a long rang and crucial last gasp penalty against Biarritz at Ravenhill which kept the side on course for the last eight from their pool.

Humphreys, who is on the bench for tomorrow’s last PRO12 game in Munster, is expected to feature in the Heineken Cup final.

this is crazy stuff, i don't think even Geoff saw this coming. this is a real loss, granted his form was up and down at times but he is a wealth of experience for Young paddy Jackson to feed off. Who will replace him? steenson....Nial O'connor.....Madigan? (the last one is wishful thinking on my part and the other two are currently under contract so i doubt they will be considered)

This signing does show London Irish's intentions to bring the Irish element back into their club

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 4 Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by humphstheman Sun 06 May 2012, 8:35 pm

And don't forget Campbell...how many former Inst players have made the Ulster Squad versus Methody? Given their School's Cup run under Brian McL, any ideas why Inst have not contributed more?

humphstheman

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 4 Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 06 May 2012, 8:58 pm

MrsP wrote:I hope they have the same plan for Porter?

I believe they do.

It seems to have become club policy that if a rising player is not going to break into the team then 2 years in the English 1st Division is a hell of a lot better than 2 years in the AIB .

I would agree with that

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 06 May 2012, 9:00 pm

At the moment I reckon the squad is made up of MCB and CCB old boys.

Not sure why.

It could be just that those individuals happen to be the ones who are making it through just now or I suppose it could be that something about the experience of school rugby has put them off. I know of friends who have friends whose sons have never wanted to see another rugby ball after they leave school.

Not that I am blaming any particular school for that mind you, just wondering.

Not sure what the make up of the academy is just now.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 06 May 2012, 9:05 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Being asking around.

Humphreys was told that Ulster could not guaranteed him a renewal of his contract next year when we had so much talent about (Jackson, McKinney, Olding) and Pienaer.

Therefore he was told that if he could find another club he could go a year early.

the pecking order next year will be
Jackson, Pienaer
IQ player
Olding

In 2 years the plan is
Jackson
Olding
IQ player or McKinney

So the player coming in will only be 3rd in the pecking order

To me this logic is seriously flawed. Jackson is dependent on Pienaar to nurse him along, so what happens if Ruan gets injured or called up by SA? Ulster would be left with Marshall and Jackson to run the show and I have no confidence they could do that. A Marshall/NOC pairing would be even worse, so Ulster (and their opponents) know they are completely reliant on the presence of Mr Pienaar - madness.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 06 May 2012, 9:32 pm

humphstheman wrote:And don't forget Campbell...how many former Inst players have made the Ulster Squad versus Methody? Given their School's Cup run under Brian McL, any ideas why Inst have not contributed more?

Just had a juke at the U18s training squad for the summer.

4 each from MCB and RBAI

3 each from CCB and WHS

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 06 May 2012, 10:34 pm

UTWHS!!!
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 07 May 2012, 8:25 am

I thought i posted something the other day, but I musnt have. I remember after the Semi, the squad did the lap of the pitch. Clearly buoyant and excited. And rightly so. Even the subs were glad to be a part of the process and glad for their colleagues.

iHumph remained at the tunnel in his long training coat having a chat with Visser (I think). I remember joking at the time "Look at the huffer! Probably doing a bit of networking trying to find a new club!"

Is he really this much of a huff, or or we being too negative on him?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 07 May 2012, 8:44 am

I don't think he's a huffer at all. Hes 30 with one year to run on his contract and he's just fallen behind Jackson in the pecking order. The club can't guarantee him a new contract so its a no brainer if he has a 3 year deal at LI.

Its unfortunate for Ulster as it leaves us thin on options but its a great move for Humph.

Best of luck to him guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 07 May 2012, 8:52 am

What do you think of him not wanting to be involved in the lap after the semi then Rodders?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 07 May 2012, 8:53 am

Best of luck to him but he is most definitely a huffer.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 07 May 2012, 8:58 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:Being asking around.

Humphreys was told that Ulster could not guaranteed him a renewal of his contract next year when we had so much talent about (Jackson, McKinney, Olding) and Pienaer.

Therefore he was told that if he could find another club he could go a year early.

the pecking order next year will be
Jackson, Pienaer
IQ player
Olding

In 2 years the plan is
Jackson
Olding
IQ player or McKinney

So the player coming in will only be 3rd in the pecking order

To me this logic is seriously flawed. Jackson is dependent on Pienaar to nurse him along, so what happens if Ruan gets injured or called up by SA? Ulster would be left with Marshall and Jackson to run the show and I have no confidence they could do that. A Marshall/NOC pairing would be even worse, so Ulster (and their opponents) know they are completely reliant on the presence of Mr Pienaar - madness.

We are completely reliant on the presence of Pienaer.
That is a fact this year and will be next
That is a fact regardless of whether or not Humphreys stayed
He is the most important players in the squad by a country mile

The reality is Ulster's options at half back, other than Pienaer are either
As best Ok, at worst mediocre - Marshall, Humphreys, NOC or
Very inexperienced with varying degrees of potential - Jackson, Olding, McKinney, Porter, McIlroy

Given the restriction on NIQ 10's what coudl we do that would be different ?

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Mon 07 May 2012, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 07 May 2012, 8:58 am

I don't think anything of it Clive. Obviously he didn't feel part of things for whatever reason.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 07 May 2012, 4:33 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Given the restriction on NIQ 10's what coudl we do that would be different ?

I understand the dilemma, but I don't understand why the IRFU would impose any restriction on a NIQ 10. Didn't ROG just get a two year extension?

If Humphreys had stayed for another year would the IRFU have limited his time in the team to give PJ more time? Jackson hasn't been getting time in the team so that scenario must be pretty unlikely, also there are those saying he's shouldn't be even starting for the u20s so why would the IRFU want him to suddenly take the lead at Ulster?

The far more likely scenario is that Ulster agreed to let Ian Humphreys go and then gave Paddy some time in the team to see if he could rise to the level required. His few outings have been promising and so they are prepared to back him - I don't think IRFU restrictions have any bearing.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 07 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Thomond the IRFU wouldn't let us sign an NIQ 10 in the past that is what Geoff is referring to I think.

Neither Humph or Jackson are contracted to the IRFU so I don't think they'd have been in a position to force us to play either.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 07 May 2012, 5:31 pm

The IRFU wouldn't let Ulster sign Nick Evans because they only had ROG then (and Felipe blocking Munster). They still have ROG but now have Sexton with Keatley and Madigan next in line.

The IRFU also in their latest NIQ guidelines suggested there be no more than one NIQ in any position for Munster, Lerinster and Ulster. With Berquist gone there isn't an NIQ flyhalf, so their own guidelines would allow it. Ulster would be allowed to sign an NIQ if they wanted, but for some unfathomable reason they don't think they need one.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 07 May 2012, 8:30 pm

Some mis conceptions here.

The IRFU will not allow us to sign a NIQ 10, the IRFU will not allow Leinster or Munster to sign a NIQ 10. The new rules do not come in until 2013-14.

Ulster let Humphreys go because they told him they could not guarantee his contract would be renewed beyond 2013. This was in large part because of Pienaer ansd in large part because of their faith in the talent we have coming through at 10.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 8:52 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Some mis conceptions here.

The IRFU will not allow us to sign a NIQ 10, the IRFU will not allow Leinster or Munster to sign a NIQ 10. The new rules do not come in until 2013-14.

Ulster let Humphreys go because they told him they could not guarantee his contract would be renewed beyond 2013. This was in large part because of Pienaer ansd in large part because of their faith in the talent we have coming through at 10.

Ah Geoff, man, we dont need another World Class 10.

2 is more than enough. No thanks necessary Ireland. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 07 May 2012, 10:28 pm

The IRFU will not allow us to sign a NIQ 10, the IRFU will not allow Leinster or Munster to sign a NIQ 10. The new rules do not come in until 2013-14

Yet Leinster were allowed to sign Berquist this season?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 10:42 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

The IRFU will not allow us to sign a NIQ 10, the IRFU will not allow Leinster or Munster to sign a NIQ 10. The new rules do not come in until 2013-14

Yet Leinster were allowed to sign Berquist this season?

It's true. The Great Ausketeer has spoken. We are spoiled D4 brats. We phhoked up. Joe phhoked up. He should have learned Cheika's lesson with Contepomi and Sexton.

He has now. With a vengeance.

Madigan is the most complete player, Ive seen come from Irish soil - since BOD. Or Gibson.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 07 May 2012, 10:50 pm

auskster that was before the rules came in though

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 11:00 pm

No excuses Fan. Only possible excuse is - Schmidt had not yet become fully aware of The Leinster Way. He has bought into it now and has enhanced it. Big time.

He's built two teams out of it.

Ulster would die for a player the quality of Berquist.

NOC is da man though. In all fairness.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 07 May 2012, 11:15 pm

Berquist would have been a good signing for us if we had known Humph was going but the need is greater in the backrow... it's a gamble putting so much on the shoulders of young Paddy Jackson but it's exciting too. He is a very talented guy and maybe in Ireland we're guilty of not exposing talents like him too pro rugby quickly enough. I believe he can step up to the mark; I hope I'm right or we could struggle next year!

It's better we bring him through over the next two years while Pienaar is still here; that way he earns his stripes outside an uber-experienced 9 rather than coming through at a later age and playing with a less accomplished scrum-half. One things for sure; he's not going to get better sitting on the bench watching an NIQ 10. That would be band-aid. He already has two great mentors in Ruan Pienaar and Paddy Wallace to learn from OK

This is the right decision. Back our young talent- the blend of young talent and top NIQ players like Pienaar will take us to the top. Two NIQ halfbacks is great short term but when they leave at the same time? We're as badly off as we were when Humphreys Snr. retired.

Last edited by Notch on Mon 07 May 2012, 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 07 May 2012, 11:17 pm

Gisb - if Berquist hadn't been injured Madigan might never have seen the light of day! I'd certainly take Berquist over NOC every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Anyway the rules that would allow Ulster to recruit a NIQ don't come in until 2013/14, yet Berquist has been recruited before those rules! So do they only apply to Ulster?
Major inconsistency or alternatively the IRFU don't give a stuff over a NIQ 10.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 11:39 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Gisb - if Berquist hadn't been injured Madigan might never have seen the light of day! I'd certainly take Berquist over NOC every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Anyway the rules that would allow Ulster to recruit a NIQ don't come in until 2013/14, yet Berquist has been recruited before those rules! So do they only apply to Ulster?
Major inconsistency or alternatively the IRFU don't give a stuff over a NIQ 10.

Ausk - true. Its the same deal, as was, with Felipe and JS. Cheika blatantly did not believe in Sexton back then. Even bought Holla in to cover Contepomi to compound it all.
Until the Munster v Leinster HC SF in 2009. I saw it in his surprised face, when Sexton came on and nailed his penalty. Having just come on in a cauldron.
Then, he won us the Final. And another Final 2 years after it. A lesson for Ulster to develop, nurture and believe, in their own home grown players? I think so. Go Paddy Jackson. Believe young man.

A point of order mo chara. As both our provinces march towards London, to the best Rugby Cup Final on the Planet... I think you are smert enough to lose that Dublin v Belfast predjudice rugby thang. It simply does'nae exist anymore. Only in your hid.

Paddy Bloody Wallace still has a contract FFS. Positive discrimination imo.

Some Ulster fans now, remind me of Munster fans 10 years ago. Looking for it, where it does not exist.

Believe.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 07 May 2012, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 07 May 2012, 11:51 pm

Gibson wrote:A point of order mo chara. As both our provinces march towards London, to the best Rugby Cup Final on the Planet... I think you are smert enough to lose that Dublin v Belfast predjudice rugby thang. It simply does'nae exist anymore. Only in your hid.

Paddy Bloody Wallace still has a contract FFS. Positive discrimination imo.

You see Gisb by implying positive discrimination you are implicitly acknowledging actual discrimination. So either Ulster are hard done by or Paddy Wallace is actually a world class player! (Oh and it's yer heid not your hid)

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 11:55 pm

Bu88er! My Ulster-Scots isinae what it used to be mon.

I think we went to the same school bro. Just different priests and vicars to cloud our minds on the way. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 08 May 2012, 9:35 am

Point of clarity the IRFU did not want to see any of the 1st choice 10's being NIQ - Berquist was always only backup to Sexton

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 08 May 2012, 9:41 am

Ulster should sign Cruden as backup to Jackson.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 08 May 2012, 9:43 am

And was backup to a goy called Carter, before he came to us. Shame Berquist never really had the chance to shine with us. Bad injury early on. Looked excellent in the few games he played. Great player.

But Madigan has taken his chance with 2 sweet hands, a sharp brain and dancing feet.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 08 May 2012, 9:45 am

The Great Aukster wrote:Ulster should sign Cruden as backup to Jackson.

Good call. I really think ye need it Auks.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 08 May 2012, 10:54 am

Ulster should sign Cruden as backup to Jackson

If they are going to sign a Kiwi 10 I'd imagine it would be the new coach's son. Though that would definitely hold up the development of Jackson as it would be someone of the same age dumping him onto the bench.

The IRFU wouldn't let Ulster sign Nick Evans

Evans's agent had agreed deals with most of Europe. Tigers also agreed a deal only to pull out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 08 May 2012, 11:08 am

At the time the IRFU did not block Nick Evans moving to Ulster.
It may well have been the negotiation that convinced them they needed to put a block on future NIQ 10's though.

Ulster offered more than Quins - Carter simply chose Quins over Ulster.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 08 May 2012, 11:13 am

Not read through this but i think that this could be a very good signing for London Irish Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 May 2012, 11:22 am

O'Leary- Humph - Geraghty as an axis......

I think Stallone has found his cast for Expendables 3

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 09 May 2012, 9:25 am

Standulstermen wrote:O'Leary- Humph - Geraghty as an axis......

I think Stallone has found his cast for Expendables 3

Shaun Edwards has been named as the new backs coach at LI. His influence and expertise will be invaluable. Perhaps LI's best signing yet.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 09 May 2012, 9:45 am

O'Leary- Humph - Geraghty as an axis......

It'll be Humph or Geraghty as LI have signed Sa a RL convert who has some Union experience. A very powerful PI inside centre who Smith has described as a natural replacement to former LI captain Mapasua. That should secure the 10/12 channel a little more.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4