The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

+35
Cari
SirBurger
neilthom7
Shauna784
Feckless Rogue
humphstheman
Pete330v2
Rava
geoff999rugby
Pot Hale
profitius
Suspicious lurker
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
marty2086
Gibson
Standulstermen
toml
JayMaster3000
red_stag
The Great Aukster
formerly known as Sam
geoff998rugby
Equo Troiano
MrsP
rodders
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HammerofThunor
clivemcl
Notch
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
mankiaow
BelfastDickVet
39 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 2 Empty Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by BelfastDickVet Fri 04 May 2012, 1:36 am

First topic message reminder :

OUTHALF Ian Humphreys is set to leave Ulster at the end of the season and return to the English Premiership with London Irish.

Humphreys, who returned to Ulster in 2008-09, after a successful stint with Leicester Tigers, is believed to have agreed a deal with the Exiles.

The recently turned 30-year-old has been to the forefront of the Ulster team for the past four years, but some indifferent form this year had resulted in his position being weakened.

Although he played in the entire Heineken Cup quarter-final win over Munster last month, he missed out on a start in the semi-final against Edinburgh.

However, Humphreys was instrumental in steering Ulster to the crucial home win over Clermont Auvergne in the opening European pool win, displaying the talent most Ravenhill fans have been accustomed to seeing from a player who has scored 617 points in 81 appearances.

The Ballymena man was also instrumental in guiding Ulster to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals for the first time in 12 years the previous season, with one of the stand out moments being a long rang and crucial last gasp penalty against Biarritz at Ravenhill which kept the side on course for the last eight from their pool.

Humphreys, who is on the bench for tomorrow’s last PRO12 game in Munster, is expected to feature in the Heineken Cup final.

this is crazy stuff, i don't think even Geoff saw this coming. this is a real loss, granted his form was up and down at times but he is a wealth of experience for Young paddy Jackson to feed off. Who will replace him? steenson....Nial O'connor.....Madigan? (the last one is wishful thinking on my part and the other two are currently under contract so i doubt they will be considered)

This signing does show London Irish's intentions to bring the Irish element back into their club

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 4:38 pm

Aslongas100, Ulster rugby have said they are waiting until the change of coach is complted before entering into talks.

"Ulster rugby officials have moved to quash speculation of a Gavin Henson move to Belfast.

The former Wales out half was sacked by Cardiff Blues last month in the aftermath of a drunken incident on a plane on an early Saturday morning. The Welsh side had lost to Edinburgh the night before.

Henson was suspended by Cardiff and issued an apology where he admitted drinking following the 31-3 defeat to the Warriors and on the flight.

The one-time poster boy for Welsh rugby now finds his career in tatters and Ulster insist he will not be attempting to resurrect it at the Ravenhill due to the overlap with coaches.

“Ulster Rugby would like to confirm that we are not currently in any talks with Gavin Henson,” the province tweeted earlier. A follow up interview has indicated this may change once Kiwi coach Anscombe arrives. Henson is arguably the highest profile player sought to join the Ulster foreign legion.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish

Post by marty2086 Fri 04 May 2012, 4:41 pm

red_stag wrote:Aslongas100, Ulster rugby have said they are waiting until the change of coach is complted before entering into talks.

"Ulster rugby officials have moved to quash speculation of a Gavin Henson move to Belfast.

The former Wales out half was sacked by Cardiff Blues last month in the aftermath of a drunken incident on a plane on an early Saturday morning. The Welsh side had lost to Edinburgh the night before.

Henson was suspended by Cardiff and issued an apology where he admitted drinking following the 31-3 defeat to the Warriors and on the flight.

The one-time poster boy for Welsh rugby now finds his career in tatters and Ulster insist he will not be attempting to resurrect it at the Ravenhill due to the overlap with coaches.

“Ulster Rugby would like to confirm that we are not currently in any talks with Gavin Henson,” the province tweeted earlier. A follow up interview has indicated this may change once Kiwi coach Anscombe arrives. Henson is arguably the highest profile player sought to join the Ulster foreign legion.

In that case anyone fancy investing in a tanning salon with me?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 May 2012, 4:48 pm

I just don't see how he'd fit in with the culture at Ravenhill, but perhaps this is part of a smart move to expand the fan-base - get the Orange one down to Jellybeanz (you know, the cafe that MrsP frequents) ...

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Where did this come from? I don't quite understand why clubs publicly 'quash speculation' anyway. How do you get them to quash a rumour? If I tweeted them I wonder if they will quash the some of the rumours on here? chin

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 4:57 pm

Clive, its probably just that Henson is linked to everyone nowadays. Ulster dismissed the signing and noted that things could change when Anscombe arrives.

A good move on their part. It puts them in the drivers seat should any negoiations take place and stops all the Henson speculation from building any further.

Do you think he would even be a first team player I dont think he would really.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 04 May 2012, 4:58 pm

clivemcl wrote:Where did this come from? I don't quite understand why clubs publicly 'quash speculation' anyway. How do you get them to quash a rumour? If I tweeted them I wonder if they will quash the some of the rumours on here? chin

I presume earlier on someone tweeted Ulster Rugby with "@UlsterRugby - Any truth in the rumours about talks with Gavin Henson?" and whoever it is in their marketing dept that runs their twitter account responded. Worth a try.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 04 May 2012, 5:01 pm

As an avid user to Twitter myself where I follow mainly rugby tweets I've heard this henson rumour floating about for a bit now.

It's mainly been journos and nothing concrete but these journos usually get their info from reliable sources.

He'd be a great 12 for ulster, and then they could finally let paddy slip into retirement
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 04 May 2012, 5:02 pm

What about the new Boss' son?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 5:04 pm

Do you think Hoog. He is a similar style to Wallace. Covers 10/12 and has played 15 with mixed results. With Luke Marshall appearing to have slowed down development wise (or else injured) maybe he would be a good transition man.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 5:06 pm

Does it not kind of suggest though that there is no signing made yet? If they say Anscombe may have an opinion. That suggests that UR's squad may not be complete until after he comes?

Or does the twitter representative actually just know nothing?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 04 May 2012, 5:07 pm

Clive, I know they have an NIQ place remaining so I would say the Ulster squad is definitely not complete.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri 04 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Oh for sure stag, paddys done his bit now and can retire, if henson came in in the right frame if mind he is a class creative 12 and would make huge amounts of space for their outside backs
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 04 May 2012, 5:18 pm

'Orangeman to sign for Ulster'

Who'd a thought, eh? Wink
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 5:23 pm

It could set cross community support for Ulster back a century!!!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 5:29 pm

Feic sake lads!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 5:31 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Staunton seem quite likely.

Backup for Jackson

So be it, if the NIQ backrower is good that'll be fine.

Staunton is just cover, but he can play fullback too so not bad.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 5:37 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:It does increase my admiration of David Humphreys - he is one hard nosed so and so who will do what ever it takes to improve Ulster. Including getting rid of his brother Shocked

The man has ice in his veins. He described Isaac Boss as the best 9 he ever played with, then mercilessly gave his place away when he saw we needed a better class of 9 to bring us forward. He formed a great rapport and working relationship with McLaughlin but went to hire a new coach because he thought it could improve us even by a small margin. Now his own brother has become more hassle than he's worth and he's just gone and let him go.

Thats what we need.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 5:42 pm

Notch wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:It does increase my admiration of David Humphreys - he is one hard nosed so and so who will do what ever it takes to improve Ulster. Including getting rid of his brother Shocked

The man has ice in his veins. He described Isaac Boss as the best 9 he ever played with, then mercilessly gave his place away when he saw we needed a better class of 9 to bring us forward. He formed a great rapport and working relationship with McLaughlin but went to hire a new coach because he thought it could improve us even by a small margin. Now his own brother has become more hassle than he's worth and he's just gone and let him go.

Thats what we need.

And, best of all, I suspect even the 2 of those who are not members of his family would probably not have a bad word to say about him.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 5:45 pm

marty2086 wrote: “Ulster Rugby would like to confirm that we are not currently in any talks with Gavin Henson,” the province tweeted earlier. A follow up interview has indicated this may change once Kiwi coach Anscombe arrives. Henson is arguably the highest profile player sought to join the Ulster foreign legion.

Well I am going to put the cat amoung the pigeons here but here are some bold facts.

The above will not quell rumour one little bit in fact just the opposite as it very much leaves open the possibility that talks may well take place after June 1st

As many here recall I mentioned that Gordon Hamiliton went to Toulon recently

Henson played for Toulon

When I was told about Hamilton going to Toulon I was also told we were signing a centre. At the time I dismissed it as total rubbish. Is it ?

Can't believe myself but the above are three points of facts and a reasoned opinion based on Ulsters statement.

To counter that elsewhere I am led to believe it is a done deal. Also he would be NIQ.
My gut says no but the straws in the wind are at the very least coincidental.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 04 May 2012, 5:49 pm

The bit about Hump snr. being a hard nosed so and so is correct. In all our dealings with UR he has been the most demanding.

I quite like the idea of Henson though. If anyone could get the best out of hom it would be Humphries.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 04 May 2012, 5:50 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first 606 post in over a year and I hope you are all well. Anyway back to the topic in hand, I won't settled for anybody less than Dan Carter to replace iHump. Well if we aim high who knows eh :-)
I do get the awful feeling it'll be the return of the NOC.

This 606v2 will take some getting used to.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 5:53 pm

Is that the Armagh Pete?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by humphstheman Fri 04 May 2012, 5:54 pm

I am leery of Henson...it is not his talent, but the circus that seems to accompany him wherever he goes. Does this settled Ulster squad need that distraction?

humphstheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 5:59 pm

No chance, geoff. The other lads are winding you up. I would be gobsmacked if we were even considering it. As for the twits...

https://twitter.com/#!/ulsterrugby

The last thing they do is comment on transfers.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 6:06 pm

Notch Gordon Hamilton was in Toulon that is a fact and a reliable source told me we were signing a centre that is a fact.

Remember I was told we were signing a centre before anyone had wind of Humphreys. The departure of Humphreys does give some credence to this. So are we signing a 10/12 ?

Take away the fact that Henson played for Toulon and the other facts do not point to him at all.
In my own mind I remain convinced he is not coming for all sort of reasons. Not least as we woudl have to sign a IQ backrower which I understand is not the case.

However if the quoted statement from Ulster is accurate it is adds fuel to the fire rather than dampening it down. If we have no interest in Henson then whoever made that posting should be shot

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 04 May 2012, 6:07 pm

This is indeed the Armagh Pete returning from the wilderness MrsP. Hope you and all yours are very well

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 04 May 2012, 6:10 pm

If it's true its a terrible idea. There's a reason three clubs in a row have gotten rid of him.

He causes off-field trouble and isn't good enough on-field.

It would be an awful signing.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 6:10 pm

Question for those who use twitter.
Is there any way of telling who posted it? - or is it a Stag wind up Whistle

Far more likely Gordon Hamilton was looking at 10/12 but it wasn't Henson - who had left by then.
Even that is interesting

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 6:14 pm

Geoff, Clive- literally all of the 'quotes' from twitter on this thread are entirely and completely made up. I feel bad saying that, I don't want to ruin the joke, but you should know there is nothing outside this thread linking Henson to Ulster. Nobody associated with Ulster made any posting regarding any transfer rumours this week.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 6:14 pm

We are well Pete!

Were you down at the semi or quarter?

Geoff,

I must have missed the post about Hamilton in Toulon. Who were they playing at the time?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 6:33 pm

wow, thats really funny... Rolling Eyes

I had looked the Ulster twitter and couldnt figure out why there was no tweets. At least i knew enough to question why UR would even be interested in quashing a rumour.

can anyone tell me which of these options is true?

a) Ulster knew Ian was leaving and had/have a replacement lined up
or
b) Ian left because he was going to play second fiddle, and UR are currently in damage limitation mode?

Does anyone at least know this?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 04 May 2012, 6:40 pm

I haven't been to a single match this season MrsP. The wee man has taken up every single second. Next season he and I shall invade Ravenhill.

So no clues as to who the big signing will be?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 04 May 2012, 6:42 pm

Henson could do with some religion to give him direction and to get his life back on track. The UPC is the perfect place for him to blossom.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 6:45 pm

Apart from Hamilton being in Toulon which happened to accidentally tie in with the wum those rascals were trying to propagate! (Naughty, naughty boys! warning )

Haven't a clue who Hamilton was there to see. don't even know which match he was at. Maybe he was just there on his hols?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 04 May 2012, 6:45 pm

Welcome back Pete OK guinness
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 6:49 pm

That what I thought Notch. Take away the twitter quote and the whole thing falls apart. I know nothing about twitter as you can probably tell

Hamilton going to Toulon just gave it a vague veneer of credibilty (Mrs P unfortunately I dont know which match)

As I said I couldn't believe it when I read it.

One thing that does come out of it though is that I was told we were signing a 10/12 or a 12, with Humphreys gone just maybe we are.
It would have to be an IQ one though - let the speculation begin Very Happy

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 04 May 2012, 6:52 pm

geoff999rugby wrote: That what I thought Notch. Take away the twitter quote and the whole thing falls apart. I know nothing about twitter as you can probably tell

Hamilton going to Toulon just gave it a vague veneer of credibilty (Mrs P unfortunately I dont know which match)

As I said I couldn't believe it when I read it.

One thing that does come out of it though is that I was told we were signing a 10/12 or a 12, with Humphreys gone just maybe we are.
It would have to be an IQ one though - let the speculation begin Very Happy

Do you know that the backrower is def NIQ then Geoff? Or are you saying Dublin would insist that position was IQ?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 04 May 2012, 6:55 pm

Gibson wrote:Henson could do with some religion to give him direction and to get his life back on track. The UPC is the perfect place for him to blossom.

Ulster Presbyterian Cult? Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 04 May 2012, 7:07 pm

Cheers Rava sir.
I'll will have to do some serious catching up on here with my favourite posters :-)

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 04 May 2012, 7:17 pm

Clive it is my understanding The IRFU will not sanction a NIQ 10

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauna784 Fri 04 May 2012, 7:29 pm

Gutted to see him go but looks like he may be a bit bitter. Here's a conversation from twitter from humph and dickson digital;

@iHumph Congratulations on your new contract and good luck at London Irish - will miss all the MOTM pics - how many did you win?

Ian Humphries reply;
@Dicksondigital no idea but don't think I used up too many frames this season!!!!

Shauna784

http://www.twitter.com/#!/shaunabean

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 04 May 2012, 8:00 pm

Notch wrote:
Gibson wrote:Henson could do with some religion to give him direction and to get his life back on track. The UPC is the perfect place for him to blossom.

Ulster Presbyterian Cult? Ian Humphreys to leave Ulster for London Irish - Page 2 810156456

Cool
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 04 May 2012, 8:04 pm

Yes this is very unusual indeed for him to leave with pretty much no rumours was talking to a mate of mine within the ulster squad and he stated that they werent told until this happened so this smacks of either a big falling out or an ice cold decision by Humphreys senior.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 8:07 pm

Or maybe he just wanted to keep things on an even keel until his team mates had played the biggest club game in any of their careers so far?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri 04 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Those suggesting that Irish will get relegated are fools! The quality of half back partnerships is really quite low in the Jeff. O'Leary and Humphreys/Shane will actually be one of the better partnerships. With the other guys we have brought in we will be totally fine.

I love the look of that backline Pete - think Sa will take a while to get fully acclimatised though and will need a bit of rest due to the Super League finishing close to the AP start. I would also have to find a space for Ansbro in the 23. Amazing that guys as talented as Watson, Yarde and Shingler wouldn't make my 23. The future looks bright.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 04 May 2012, 8:11 pm

Yes indeed Mrs P but its now Friday so there was plenty of time this week if they had of known before they would surely have announced either tuesday/wednesday etc? I dont know who knows either way he has been brilliant for us at times and I wish him all the best of luck at London Irish.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 9:23 pm

I'd be happy enough with Henson actually...don't get me wrong I think hes a **** but hes also one of the most talented players I've ever seen, right up there with Dan Carter.

If we could get him on the straight and narrow it could be an inspired piece of business.

If hes prepared to roll up his sleeves on a wet night at ravenhill then that'll do for me, fake tan or no fake tan.

I wonder how well he gets on with his auld mucker Bowe?

Certainly he'd be a better signing than Staunton.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 04 May 2012, 9:41 pm

I have absolutely no inside knowledge but, having listened to the speech that Shane Logn gave about what kind of coach they were looking for and all the attributes he must have, I would be absolutely astounded if they went anywhere within 5,000 miles of Gavin Henson.

By the sounds of things we have a squad who all get along fantastically at the moment. I'd like to keep it that way!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 04 May 2012, 9:44 pm

Justice for the Henson 1!

Just because he's not...well... you know.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 May 2012, 9:47 pm

Now now Mrs P judge not lest ye be judged....... Mr Wannenburg was a bit of a loose cannon before he joined us remember?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next