The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
LastDamnation
Faldono1fan
Hibbz
NedB-H
Diggers
hend085
Sand
LadyPutt
mystiroakey
EmmDee57
sirbenson
Lairdy
Shotrock
GPB
princedracula
Skydriver
twoeightnine
SmithersJones
incontinentia
McLaren
ScottieD18
robopz
Fader
navyblueshorts
super_realist
kwinigolfer
30 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 08 May 2012, 8:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done Rickie Fowler; an adjustment in your putting grip has transformed your season. A T10 in New Orleans should have served as a warning that the change was working. Normally your superb driving and iron play would have been rewarded with, perhaps, a top ten at Quail Hollow, but you brought your short game as well and congratulations on your first win.
Are you now ready to step it up and truly become a rival to Rory McIlroy (a big head-to-head win must be a boost?), or are you destined to being a Jason Day for a couple of years? Lots of high finishes, no visits to the winners enclosure. As a partisan Englishman, I'd say a young American who can contend week in, week out, would elevate the PGA Tour in a way that wave after wave of bright young things have failed to do.
1a).Fowler's reward is tee-time with Tiger (and Mahan) on Thursday - Rory is with Phil and Stricker.

2).A word about DA Points. I've always liked Points' engagement with, and appreciation of, the galleries and even in the bitter disappointment of Sunday's defeat he found time to applaud the crowd surrounding #18. Driving for show (almost as good as Fowler and led the field in greens hit) was let down by the putting for dough department, 65th in the Tour's "strokes gained - putting" stat; don't think he made anything longer than about eight feet on the weekend until his par putt in the play-off.
And tragic that his only bogey for forty holes was on the 72nd.

3).Quail Hollow is apparently destined for a re-do of some of its greens in preparation for the 2017 PGA. And a redesign of the very funky (and not in a good way) short par-4 eighth hole. Phil has long been a critic of the QH greens but this is some of what he had to say Sunday about the overall Course design:
"Tee to green it's a wonderful challenge. It's just the way the holes are shaped, they're beautifully done. I think the bunkering here is some of the best I've ever seen too. It's not over-bunkered. It's not bunkers everywhere you look, it's really well done here."

4).Quail Hollow is a different challenge than this week's examination at TPC Sawgrass. I see Rory McIlroy is replacing his 5-wood with a 2-iron in an effort to hit more fairways, not to mention the right part of the fairway. Seems to me that neutralises his power, not necessarily his biggest asset, but certainly not one to be dispensed with lightly.

5).Look for golfers who fare well on Pete Dye courses to have an edge this week. Els has been vocal in his support for Dye's TPC, which led one to imagine some symmetry remembering his last two wins. They were achieved at Doral (a Dick Wilson course), week off, then Bay Hill (another Wilson design). Obviously Els played well in losing that play-off to Dufner at New Orleans - then a week off. Who knows, but I'm not suggesting he should lose another play-off!

6).England's Brian Davis crossed the $10M mark in official Tour earnings with his 9th place finish last weekend. Davis has had some success at the TPC, but also missed three cuts. Nevertheless, it's his time of year - 9 of his 19 Tour top tens, and a disproportionate amount of his loot, has been earned in April and May and it wouldn't be a surprise to see him have another good tournament. Congratulations to Brian for a fine career, almost invariably under the radar!

7).Back to TPC Sawgrass. I really enjoy watching "The Players" on the box, a terrific mix of holes with one of the best quartet of par-5's anywhere. But I just can't accept that the 17th hole, as fickle as it is and beyond the meaning of risk/reward, fits anywhere on the course in general, and as the 17th hole in particular. Of course, as Woods has said in the past, if it was on the front nine no-one would notice it. And it certainly shouldn't be the opening play-off hole.
If the hole is not blown up, I'd like to see a 3-hole aggregate play-off, the par-5 16th, the fart-at-a-wedding 17th and the always challenging 18th.

8).Logic would suggest Luke Donald should have a "Players" win in his career, and many of the Europeans have enjoyed good tournaments here.
But the same cannot be said about young Americans; apart from Woods, whose dislike of the course seems to grow year on year, there's no American on Tour under the age of 39 (the soon-to-be-forty Justin Leonard) who has won or finished runner up here. Blimey, even the English at The Open have a better record than that. Just.

9).All our yesterdays, Part 1: Loved watching the golfing greats' 3-man scramble from the Houston Champions Tour event last Saturday, the Big Three of Arnie, Jack and Gary Player "winning" from two teams from Trevino, Barber, Graham, January, Stockton and Littler.

10).All our yesterdays, Part 2: Hall of Fame induction ceremonies last night for Mickelson, Lyle, Alliss, Hollis Stacy and Dan Jenkins (arguably, but not to him, the best American golf writer, good mate of Hogan) offered a reminder of just how good a golfer - though clearly not public speaker - Sandy Lyle was.
Renton Laidlaw did the induction presentation honours for Sandy and reminded all of Seve's tribute when asked who he thought was the most talented European golfer:
"If we all play our best, Sandy wins every time."
Which made one think about John Jacobs' opinion about Ian Woosnam that, "De Vicenzo and Woosnam" were "the two most correct swingers I've ever seen."
It doesn't necessarily justify an annual Masters tee-time, but worth remembering just what talent these two close childhood neighbours brought to the sport.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 4:31 pm

Mac,
I think you're right with +1, especially if the greens firm up, speed up this afternoon as is expected.
That would mean some likely lads have their work cut out, McDowell, Mark Wilson, Jacobson, Goosen, Sabbatini, Badds, Yang.
And s_r will have his own thoughts about others!

Faldo,
Yup, I checked out all his "previous" for Note 6). above. It's his type of course and his time of year! No idea how he gets on with Poultie though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 11 May 2012, 4:33 pm

Kwini,

I think they were paired together in this either last year or the year before. They appeared to be having a ball playing together. They seemed to enjoy each others company anyhow.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 4:36 pm

Two eagles now for Luuuuuuuuuuuke.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Fri 11 May 2012, 4:40 pm

These damn bombers who just mop up on par 5s :P

With Rory making a pig's ear of things he's surely favourite to be no.1 again

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 11 May 2012, 4:41 pm

He tried hard to change his story from last year(s) before this week, but truth is I don't think Rory really likes this course that much...

What's wrong with Luuuke, changed his driver...? Two par 5 eagles in a round?! Maybe hitting Chubby with his ball yesterday brought him luck...
Funny his tweet yesterday...
"no signed glove Chubb, but dinner is on me, that will cost me a lot more"

Last edited by princedracula on Fri 11 May 2012, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 May 2012, 4:41 pm

What you are saying though Diggers is that you'll permit Woods behaviour because of his ancient achievements, but not Poulter. I prefer to say both shouldn't behave as they do/have done.

As for Poulter, I like the way he plays golf and how he got there, I rate his short game highly, I like how he is outspoken and says what he thinks rather than what he's been told to say even though he can put his foot in it, and I like that he's a bit different, even though much of the time he's a self loving prat who can look ridiculous. Am I defending him, partially, do I think he's an idiot in many ways and does he represent a lot of things I don't like? Yes.

Should he have won in America? Probably, does it make him a failure if he doesn't. Not at all. Some players will win frequently in America, like Mickelson, some won't like Monty and Poulter.

The truth is that there is something to dislike in all sportsmen probably if you look hard enough, Truth is about Woods though, I can't find anything good to say about him with the exception of his pre-2008 golf which was admirable, but he's a pretty despicable person otherwise, in all aspects we are privy to see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 11 May 2012, 4:42 pm

4 Englishmen currently in the top 15. Happy days! Very Happy Oh & a scot leading Whistle

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 11 May 2012, 4:44 pm

princedracula wrote:Maybe hitting Chubby with his ball yesterday brought him luck...
Funny his tweet yesterday...
"no signed glove Chubb, but dinner is on me, that will cost me a lot more"

Apologies if already reported on here, but I found this amusing in the same vein (as re-tweeted by Lee Westwood):

"Luke Donald hit sports agent Chubby Chandler with a tee shot on 14th hole. Then again, Chubby is bigger than half the greens at Sawgrass."

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 4:46 pm

Let's not forget Harrington . . . . !

Lukey's missed one fairway and one green so far today. Not bad.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 May 2012, 4:49 pm

Fair enough Super. I personally cant stand arrogant people who dont have the goods to back it up, and I dont like people who court media attention...especially when in the grand scheme of things they are not that great shakes at their sport. You dont think Poulter is arrogant, I think he oozes it and plays the media game way too much as others have agreed.
Woods is a choob but he is one of the greatest golfers to play the game and I like excellence in sport which he has given in the past and Id like to see him achieve again.
So Ill be hoping for a 67 from Woods and a 75 from Poulter and you'll be hoping the opposite.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 May 2012, 4:55 pm

Fair enough, I didn't say Poulter wasn't arrogant, I think all top sportsman are and need to be, though whether you outwardly express it is another thing.

It's the cockiness I don't like, and I think both him and Woods are wrong to behave as such when both their games are somewhat off the top level of the game. Not so much cockiness from Woods as he's too boring to be cocky, more the smugness, which in my eyes is just as bad especially given the shape of his game.
I think we are more likely to see a couple of 72's from both of them today, with Woods once again proclaiming to be "almost there, hitting it well but not getting the breaks/putts/add excuse here" and Poulter not backing up his initial charge.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 11 May 2012, 4:58 pm

I think Poulter would take a 72. He will be nicely positioned for the weekend with that.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 5:50 pm

Martin Laird's challenge is sinking, two holes, two balls in the drink. I fear for the tee shot on #18.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 11 May 2012, 5:59 pm

wow, within half an hour he went from 3 shots ahead to 2 shots behind...

Luke, Lee, Phil going backwards. Changed in the last moment my top FT pick from Scott to Donald. Hmmmm....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 May 2012, 6:20 pm

Rory likely not playing the weekend. Didn't see that coming. Hard out there, but still some scores to be had as Johnson and Wi are showing.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Fri 11 May 2012, 6:31 pm

lots of people seemed to have dropped shots in the last hour or so, conditions getting worse perhaps?

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 May 2012, 6:31 pm

i love poulter, i dont find him rude or too cocky, he said one thing that was a bit silly(only two golfers blah blah).

I like players with personality,and with things to say. and i love his touch game, and i especially like the fact that he is such a trier. He really does live golf and i feel like he will be one of a very select few sportsman that could end up maxing there potential

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 6:47 pm

Love watching Poulter drive the ball. Stood right behind him a few times last year and he has a really effortless swing and consistent ball flight. Great to see.
Good luck to him today, pretty good start for Donald and Westwood, good for Laird except disappointing finish.
No good for Rory but hope McDowell will get to play tomorrow.

So we've certainly lost Els, Jacobson, Yang, Rors, Stricker, Stanley, Goosen, Sabbatini (bad week for Saaf Africaans), and Mark Wilson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 May 2012, 7:14 pm

Poulter could use some of your good karma Kwin ... out of the chute with a double bogey in round two.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 May 2012, 7:16 pm

that double is nothing- gonna happen to everyone this week one or two times. he will just grind it back to 7 under.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 7:48 pm

Poulter still driving it well enough, but that's the end of the good news. Didn't see this coming.
He'd kill for that "72" right now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 May 2012, 7:55 pm

Well, he got his two doubles out of the way early then. Falling like a rock. Yes, he would love a 72!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 11 May 2012, 8:02 pm

So what does Sir Luuuuuke need now to get back to top of the rankings

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Fri 11 May 2012, 8:03 pm

About -11 probably

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 May 2012, 8:13 pm

has he made a nother one- oh gawwwd Sad

come on poults- grind it out pal

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 11 May 2012, 8:41 pm

Did anyone else see the bunker shot by Tim Clark?
I thought I was watching myself on video - it looked so bad - until it went in.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 May 2012, 8:50 pm

ok poults makes a birdie and goes back to 3- but the 17th to come Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 11 May 2012, 9:01 pm

kuchars shoes look like trainers- with trainer soles.

Am i out of touch here and this is a new design golf shoe- or is he just wearing trainers?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 9:34 pm

24 players tied for 57th at even par right now.
So much for the more difficult conditions this afternoon. Ain't happenin'.

Bad news for McDowell, and Day, Mahan and Andy Prodger's man KJ.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 May 2012, 10:21 pm

Fowler and Woods on fire, Super must be chuffed. If I had a pound for every time they say Kuchar has a flat swing for a tall man....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 11 May 2012, 10:29 pm

Fader wrote:So what does Sir Luuuuuke need now to get back to top of the rankings

PD said solo 4th or better in the OWGR thread.

Glad my pick in Kwinis fantasy came back and made the cut. C'mon Justin Rose, have a good weekend.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 11 May 2012, 10:53 pm

Yep, solo 4th it is needed for Luuuke...

Coming back from the dead is the theme in Europe today, with Oliver Wilson leading in Madeira and a quite remarkable return to action after far too many years of veteran Irishman Philip Walton, who began today his Seniour Tour adventure with a great round of 69, just one shot behind the leaders (which include our friend Dick Mast), and in the company of people like Sam Torrence, Mark James, Ian Wosnam, etc... Great to see!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 10:58 pm

Off at a tangent here, but a much better field in Dallas next week for the Byron Nelson than we've seen for some time:
Bradley defends
Brian Davis
Day
Els
Harrington
Kuchar
Mickelson
Oosthuizen
Pettersson
Scott

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2012, 11:15 pm

No smiling for Irish eyes, but trembling perhaps for their knees.
McDowell and Harrington need a smidgeon of good fortune to make the cut. If they do, they'll have about fifteen of their best mates with them which will result in some MDF's tomorrow.

Poulter two under since he stopped hosing up his round. Good comeback.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 May 2012, 11:40 pm

Excellent round by Tiger!! Nice to see.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 12 May 2012, 12:02 am

76 for Poulter....should have put a bet on really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 12 May 2012, 12:03 am

...apparently left a lot of putts out there. That comment sound familiar Super ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2012, 12:09 am

Lee and Luke should be paired tomorrow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 12 May 2012, 12:09 am

Lots of golf to be played, but still very surprised the best golfer in the world is closing his trunk and going home. I still like Luke for this, but anyone -2 and under still with an excellent chance.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2012, 12:33 am

I'm much more surprised that Stricker's going home than Rory is. It was not for nothing that McIlroy opted out last year, and apart from the "angles" the TPC neutralises his length advantage.

Some big names of yesteryear - well, 18 months ago - having to reassess their season/career after an annus horribilis so far, Casey, Goosen, Woodland, Sabbatini, Vijay, Cabrera and perhaps one or two others. All on their way home. Perhaps Harrington will be on this list if he leaves the premises early next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 12 May 2012, 1:24 am

Not just Paddy, rough day for Sean O'Hair too. Once he backed off his initial tee shot on 17, you could sense that ball was about to land at the bottom of the lake.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 12 May 2012, 7:54 am

Shotrock wrote:Excellent round by Tiger!! Nice to see.

Speak for yourself. Ghastly for others.:puke:

Good prediction from Diggers though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 12 May 2012, 8:03 am

well lets be honest , diggers allways ratts out poulter- therefore his prediction has to be right sometimes PGA Tour: The Players: 17 Holes and an Island: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 12 May 2012, 8:27 am

Funnily enough I quite fancy Poulter to go low again today, he held it together really well, thought he was going to shoot 80 at one point.
Event still wide open, really should be moving day today.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 12 May 2012, 8:37 am

Diggers wrote:...apparently left a lot of putts out there. That comment sound familiar Super ?

Sounds like the sort of cliched drivel that comes out of most golfer mouths.
Decent fightback from Poults though after two ugly doubles

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2012, 12:31 pm

Nick Dougherty enjoying his morning Madeira . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 12 May 2012, 12:54 pm

Speak for myself?

Count on it. Smile

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2012, 1:00 pm

Like him or loathe him Tiger was pretty much in control on Friday; if he can overcome Keegan's dawdling and strike the ball as well over the weekend (no guarantee on either count of course), he'll be very close come Sunday evening.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 12 May 2012, 2:48 pm

Four of the top 5 leaders in consecutive cuts made on the PGAT, actually missed the cut this weekend.

Stricker - 49
Woodland - 22
Simpson - 18
Mahan - 16

Kuchar is now leading with 17, with Luke right behind him at 16.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?122

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Contrasting fortunes for Team Espana in the early going Saturday;
Quiros played two, birdied two.

Garcia: Played five:
Penalty shots THREE, including two Ben Wright "watery graves", and a duffed chip. But just two over so things could be a lot worse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next