The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby?

+22
Pot Hale
Jenifer McLadyboy
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
justified sinner
Morgannwg
robbo277
BoyneRFC
Notch
HongKongCherry
clivemcl
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
doctor_grey
beshocked
Pal Joey
red_stag
Biltong
Mickado
geoff998rugby
rodders
chewed_mintie
HERSH
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby? - Page 2 Empty Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby?

Post by HERSH Thu 10 May 2012, 9:41 am

First topic message reminder :

I only ask as I’ve just turned down 4 tickets for the HC final, being a passionate rugby fan and the fact that I will be at my Richmond home that weekend I surprised myself by taking this decision but in truth it just doesn’t do anything for me anymore, the competition has lost its sparkle maybe it was too much of a good thing but the HC needs to be freshened up before it destroys itself, give me real club rugby any day of the week instead of this over hyped Competition.

Last edited by HERSH on Thu 10 May 2012, 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby?

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 10 May 2012, 11:39 pm

Kiwi we are talking about european club rugby not world club rugby Very Happy

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the HC the pinnacle of European club rugby?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 10 May 2012, 11:54 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Kiwi we are talking about european club rugby not world club rugby Very Happy

Touche. I'm tired, and was thinking "NH" not "European". Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 11 May 2012, 12:10 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Kiwi we are talking about european club rugby not world club rugby Very Happy

Touche. I'm tired, and was thinking "NH" not "European". Doh
Dont worrie about it guinness

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 11 May 2012, 12:49 am

HERSH wrote:I only ask as I’ve just turned down 4 tickets for the HC final, being a passionate rugby fan and the fact that I will be at my Richmond home that weekend I surprised myself by taking this decision but in truth it just doesn’t do anything for me anymore, the competition has lost its sparkle maybe it was too much of a good thing but the HC needs to be freshened up before it destroys itself, give me real club rugby any day of the week instead of this over hyped Competition.
I thought you were talking about the HC not the Premiership. The serious w@nkfest that Sky have over boring games like Northampton V Worcester (or whatever) At least the HC is worth hyping.

HC is the best comp in world Rugby.

Super Rugby teams may be a cut above. We never get to see them play v HC clubs but (although I fancy Leinster to have a go off most of them) you cannot deny that the national sides they feed into are consistently ahead of their NH opponents.

Though this MAY be down to the approach that SH franchises have with their respective national teams. They seem to have more harmony and seem to work towards a common national goal better than any of the 6Ns component teams do.

But as a competition the HC is way ahead IMHO (I may be biased....obviously)

The structure. The way it blends all 6 nations into it's pools. The way blends into the season (Pools in Oct, Dec & Jan. QFs in early April. Sfs in Late April/Early May, and Final in May) with other comps in around it.

Super Rugby as a comp is just one big sprint of a league with no qualification or relegation (I know, I know) and a few semis and a final tacked on at the end.

The game is declining numbers wise down south while it is growing up here.

(Biased again here perhaps) There seems to be much more passion up here among supporters for the HC as opposed down there for Super Rugby. With the possible exception of South Africa.

Just my opinion now, don't get too excited.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 11 May 2012, 1:55 am

Super Rugby is no longer one big sprint of a league with its revised conference format and increased number of games. They get their mid-term break at end of this month, whilst the meaningless new June three series tours take place. Then have it again in July and wrap up the finals before heading into the 4N.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 11 May 2012, 2:19 am

When you talk about passion McLadyboy you mean noise, singing etc.
We are just as passionate about our teams, we just don't make as much as a song and dance about it.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 11 May 2012, 9:11 am

nganboy wrote:When you talk about passion McLadyboy you mean noise, singing etc.
We are just as passionate about our teams, we just don't make as much as a song and dance about it.

Yep. And crowds are increasing again - granted they declined as people's wallets felt a bit light over 2008-2010.

No singing please, we're New Zealanders Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 11 May 2012, 9:30 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
nganboy wrote:When you talk about passion McLadyboy you mean noise, singing etc.

Yep. And crowds are increasing again - granted they declined as people's wallets felt a bit light over 2008-2010.

Glad to hear crowds are growing.

Leinster were historically a bit "reserved" in their support also. (Pretty loud now though) And I do know many passionate fans who are very quiet in the ground.

I always think it's a pity though. If you are not going to participate why don't you just sit on the couch with a nice cup of tea and watch it on the telly.

Cheering adds atmosphere to a game. Makes it better for all concerned. (Except perhaps the opposition hooker trying to hear lineout calls)

I have heard Brad Thorn say that he loves a vocal crowd. "I don't care if they are for me or against me as long as they make noise"

It must be pretty special to hear 50000 people shouting ISA ISA ISA. (although I think it embarrasses him a bit Smile )

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 11 May 2012, 9:46 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

Glad to hear crowds are growing.

Leinster were historically a bit "reserved" in their support also. (Pretty loud now though) And I do know many passionate fans who are very quiet in the ground.

I always think it's a pity though. If you are not going to participate why don't you just sit on the couch with a nice cup of tea and watch it on the telly.

Cheering adds atmosphere to a game. Makes it better for all concerned. (Except perhaps the opposition hooker trying to hear lineout calls)

I have heard Brad Thorn say that he loves a vocal crowd. "I don't care if they are for me or against me as long as they make noise"

It must be pretty special to hear 50000 people shouting ISA ISA ISA. (although I think it embarrasses him a bit Smile )

There's plenty of cheering and chanting*. For some reason singing at sports events is a custom that didn't arrive down under.

*I remember being in the crowd in Dunedin for the "Blackout" test in '99, the "Percy's a ******" chant unnerved Montgomery into having a complete shocker - Carisbrook was nicknamed the "House of Pain" for a reason.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 11 May 2012, 9:53 am

I felt the same HERSH when I was offered tickets, but the competition is still the club competition in the NH, by a country mile.

Because Bath can't make an impact isn't the tournaments fault. And I feel for you I really do, it's difficult being the neutral year in year out, and this is part of the reason I want to up it to 32 teams and not lower it to 16...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 10:24 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I felt the same HERSH when I was offered tickets, but the competition is still the club competition in the NH, by a country mile.

Because Bath can't make an impact isn't the tournaments fault. And I feel for you I really do, it's difficult being the neutral year in year out, and this is part of the reason I want to up it to 32 teams and not lower it to 16...

Laugh At least Bath have a HC in the bag which is a lot more than any Welsh region can put together Yahoo , and lets face it I can't see a Welsh region winning it any time soon with the mass exodus which is going on. thumbsup

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 10:32 am

My last comment was a bit unfair!

"and let’s face it I can't see a Welsh region winning it any time soon with the mass exodus which is going on"

They could always do what the Irish provinces do and bring in a load of overseas players to buy the HC title. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 11 May 2012, 10:53 am

HERSH wrote: They could always do what the Irish provinces do and bring in a load of overseas players to buy the HC title. Whistle

I know Leinster are terrible - their starting XV may have as few as 2 NIQ players.

How many NEQ at Bath Whistle

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 11 May 2012, 11:31 am

geoff998rugby wrote:
HERSH wrote: They could always do what the Irish provinces do and bring in a load of overseas players to buy the HC title. Whistle

I know Leinster are terrible - their starting XV may have as few as 2 NIQ players.

There are only 2 NIQ in THE WHOLE SQUAD for next season. (Ok they will probably sign another one or 2 before September....But they may not)

Academy is churning out some serious players.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 May 2012, 11:34 am

geoff998rugby wrote:

C'mon, geoff, be fair, we all know there's a massive difference between international class NIQ and utter-dross NEQ! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 11 May 2012, 11:37 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:

There's plenty of cheering and chanting*. For some reason singing at sports events is a custom that didn't arrive down under.

*I remember being in the crowd in Dunedin for the "Blackout" test in '99, the "Percy's a ******" chant unnerved Montgomery into having a complete shocker - Carisbrook was nicknamed the "House of Pain" for a reason.
I'm not a massive fan of "negative" support myself. I would rather cheer for my team than against someone else's.

The tradition of silence for kickers for example is something I really like.

You can still intimidate opposition with noise when it is positive noise. I don't mind comical banter from the terraces, that's the crack, just not a fan of negativity personally.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 May 2012, 11:56 am

HERSH wrote:I only ask as I’ve just turned down 4 tickets for the HC final, being a passionate rugby fan and the fact that I will be at my Richmond home that weekend I surprised myself by taking this decision but in truth it just doesn’t do anything for me anymore, the competition has lost its sparkle maybe it was too much of a good thing but the HC needs to be freshened up before it destroys itself, give me real club rugby any day of the week instead of this over hyped Competition.

Leaving the manner for the weekend to slum it in the city you posh git Wink Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 11 May 2012, 12:33 pm

I have to be honest, my interest in the HC is only based on the dross the Blues put out, but in all fairness that dross has made 4 Q/F a 1 S/F and an Amlin cup win in the last 7 seasons... Hows Baths record?

Plus I have to contend with celebrating GS wins, the welsh boys have been told that for national health's sake we can't be celebrating every tournament, thats why Sam took the fall in the WC semi, for the nations health. We were all in Cardiff that morning slaughtered, if we had made the final it may have turned into a mass orgy Sad

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 11 May 2012, 12:36 pm

PS wheres your place in Richmond? I have an apartment down there... STUNNING!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 1:17 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:PS wheres your place in Richmond? I have an apartment down there... STUNNING!

Strictly speaking it’s in Ham.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 11 May 2012, 1:20 pm

oh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 11 May 2012, 1:41 pm

HERSH wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:PS wheres your place in Richmond? I have an apartment down there... STUNNING!

Strictly speaking it’s in Ham.

The truth is out - not quite Richmond is it Very Happy

I know the area well !

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 1:57 pm

This ones up for sale at the moment (top one) if any of you are interested?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/surrey/richmond/ham-common/

Just around the corner from me, we could meet up and go to one or two games.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 11 May 2012, 2:08 pm

No thanks Hersh own 2 houses in Ireland already ; the smaller one has 3 double bedrooms and is 5 minutes from the sea; why would I leave that to live in London.

Been there, seen it, done it, not interested in returning except to meet up with old friends and watch rugby.
Used to drink in both Richmond and Kingston.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 May 2012, 2:13 pm

HERSH wrote:This ones up for sale at the moment (top one) if any of you are interested?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/surrey/richmond/ham-common/

Just around the corner from me, we could meet up and go to one or two games.

One can only dream Hersh..... Hug ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 2:17 pm

Fair enough guys, to be honest my pad is a little bit more modest than that one, one day maybe?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 11 May 2012, 2:43 pm

Mind you I will be Richmond next Saturday. Knowing the area as a I do I will drink there - nice riverside pubs and not too crowded and then walk to Twickenham.

Provided its a nice day I like to walk.

The pubs in Twickenham will be far too busy for me

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 2:48 pm

To be honest Geoff there isn't much point in drinking and then driving to Twickers from Richmond! thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 May 2012, 2:48 pm

Hersh get yourself to the HEC final and I'll have a few guinness with you....... Geoff is buying though....... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 2:50 pm

Rodders you did read the OP didn't you! thumbsup

Last edited by HERSH on Fri 11 May 2012, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 11 May 2012, 2:50 pm

Hersh ...no chance of driving Easy Jet wouldn't let me put my car on the plane Very Happy

Rodders you have got to find me first zen

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 May 2012, 2:52 pm

Laugh Geoff, HERSH Hug guinness guinness ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Fri 11 May 2012, 2:53 pm

HERSH wrote:Rodders you did read the OP didn't you! thumbsup

No, rodders, Hersh doesn't like rugby anymore because the English teams have been rubbish and haven't qualified for the final again.

He'll be donning the 3 lions, until the inevitable happens in Ukraine then it'll be back to rugby Whistle

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 11 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Can't stand Wendyball, and I only ever wanted Bath to get to the final as I don't follow any other English clubs in the HC.

I guess I'll have a break from the HC next year Sad might make me hungry for it again.

Oh no wait Exeter have qualified Yahoo

Chief Chief Chief
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2