The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It"

+14
LuvSports!
djlovesyou
Super D Boon
bogbrush
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
lags72
barrystar
Jahu
reckoner
JuliusHMarx
Jeremy_Kyle
CaledonianCraig
hawkeye
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It" - Page 2 Empty Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It"

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 6:10 am

First topic message reminder :

During yesterdays loss to Gasquet did Murray shout "I hate this game"? If he didn't apologies as I've got it totally wrong and put words in his mouth. If he did then it's just really, really sad...

------

Have just updated this as it is no longer a question. Murray did shout "I hate this game, I really hate it". This is from todays Times (sorry it's PPV so can't provide link)

After two hours and 57 minutes of running, scrapping, grimacing, swearing — “I hate this game, I really hate it,” he screamed — he was undone by the artistry of Gasquet and his own culpability.

Last edited by hawkeye on Fri 18 May 2012, 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It" - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It"

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 18 May 2012, 4:58 pm

If Murray said "I hate this game" it could have any of the following meaning

1]He hate the current game [Game point of the particular set]
2]He might hate Gasq's game
3]He might have hate Gasq's style
4]He might have hate the match

or
5]He might really hate Tennis

I don't think so somebody could be anywhere near his success if they hate the game.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It" - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It"

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 5:25 pm

laverfan

I was simply pointing out that Murray said that he hated the game. I thought and still do think thats unusual. Apparantly in golf they are always saying such things but I was unaware of that... anyway thats golf and we are talking about tennis.

If any other tennis player said such a thing I would think it unusual too. Murray is always being compared with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Can you imagine if they said "I hate this game, I really hate this game" whilst on court? I have to admit I can't but if they did do you think it would be talked about?

Of course I am "speculating" about whether Murray meant what he said. As we have no way of knowing that's all we can do...

Also you may be out of probation with the emoticons but try not to get carried away...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 5:28 pm

What did the Times correspondent say about it - other than saying that he said it?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 5:28 pm

legendkillarV2. That is grose! I am going to report it. Yesterday you pointed out how this was a more cival place than other forums. You should be ashamed!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 18 May 2012, 6:03 pm

Goodness me, this may be the most ridiculous of all HE Murray articles.

When my football team (Aston Villa) lose I have been known to say "Villa I hate you". I've been known to say "I hate my job" after a bad day at work. Many of the things I like or love have annoyed me to the point of declaring I hate it. Of course, it's never literally true. We all say things in the heat of the moment.

You watch the south American players scream "puta" at their opponents after losing a point - which they do often -they are calling them a "son of a bitch" or something else way worse which I won't translate.... Do we actually think that that is their opinion, or is it just frustration?

The answer of course is its just frustration. But this is Murray, so HE wants to explore that it may be true and the negatives that can be taken from it. Change the record HE, it's boring.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 18 May 2012, 6:07 pm

Ah, Danny - I get the 1982 bit now
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 18 May 2012, 6:13 pm

Barry - indeed. Those were the days... Sigh...

Not that I knew much about it, I was just a toddler.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 18 May 2012, 6:22 pm

oh wow my comment got deleted for stating the obvious jeessh gawdddd

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 18 May 2012, 6:37 pm

hawkeye wrote:laverfan

I was simply pointing out that Murray said that he hated the game. I thought and still do think thats unusual. Apparantly in golf they are always saying such things but I was unaware of that... anyway thats golf and we are talking about tennis.

If any other tennis player said such a thing I would think it unusual too. Murray is always being compared with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Can you imagine if they said "I hate this game, I really hate this game" whilst on court? I have to admit I can't but if they did do you think it would be talked about?

Of course I am "speculating" about whether Murray meant what he said. As we have no way of knowing that's all we can do...

Also you may be out of probation with the emoticons but try not to get carried away...

I really do feel think you're being disingenuous here hawkeye,

Something tells me that the fact you now describe Murray's comment as "unusual" was not your sole motivation for the original article.

As for golf : it was me who introduced it - but only because you yourself said you had "never heard a sports (my italics) star say such a thing whilst competing". The implication being that not only was Murray's heat-of-the-moment comment unprecedented in the world of top level sport, but that these allegedly shameful words bordered on heresy. Other sports feature even more regularly when it comes to frustration, and associated language. I see that Danny has mentioned football. You imply, he, that Murray exists in some sort of vacuum detached from the real world, and that he says things that no other sportsman ever would dare utter (on pain of death) ; whereas on all evidence the total opposite is the case. It happens a lot, he, rest assured.

Personally I don't care two hoots about Murray berating himself on court - as long as he doesn't use offensive/abusive language to his opponent, the match officials or, dare I say it, the crowd.

However if - as you say - it truly makes you feel "sad" (which I somehow doubt to be perfectly honest) then I'm of the opinion that it's very much your problem rather than Andy Murray's.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 18 May 2012, 6:38 pm

LuvSports! wrote:oh wow my comment got deleted for stating the obvious jeessh gawdddd

The 'obvious', as you put it, was a derogatory personal comment directed at another poster. Hence it was deleted. PM me if you wish to discuss further.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 7:26 pm

As someone who has followed Murray and wish that he would hurry up and win a slam (Sad ), I don't find the OP threatening in anyway to Murray. In fact I found it of interest. It tells me something about the state of transformation (or not) of Murrays attitude / psychology after five months of his partnership with Lendl.

Many of the comments to this thread are just focussed on blasting the OP for posting Murrays comments. Others say that the comment itself tells them nothing about Murray, and that others are not "right-minded" if they think they can extract anything from it at all. Since I am not right-minded myself (I am rather left minded), they would not be wrong when applied to my situation.

Anyway, if anyone has read the Times article, I would appreciate learning what the correspondent made of Murrays comments, and his general attitude during the match when he was put under pressure by the might that is Gasquet.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 9:26 pm

lags72 wrote:

Personally I don't care two hoots about Murray berating himself on court - as long as he doesn't use offensive/abusive language to his opponent, the match officials or, dare I say it, the crowd.

However if - as you say - it truly makes you feel "sad" (which I somehow doubt to be perfectly honest) then I'm of the opinion that it's very much your problem rather than Andy Murray's.

I sort of think you've missed my point. First it wasn't about Murray berating himself it was about him saying he hated the game and it wasn't about how we felt about it. It was about how he felt about it. When I said it made me feel sad of course that is not Murrays problem I was just feeling empathy. Although of course as a viewer who watches for fun and entertainement I would feel uncomfortable if I thought someone was suffering for my enjoyment.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Nore Staat

The Times is excellent for its tennis coverage especially if you like Murray. It's a shame it isn't more widely available. Here's a bit more of the article.

With his 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 defeat by Richard Gasquet, of France, on the
unfortunately named SuperTennis Court at the Foro Italico, the British No 1
was preparing to head directly to the practice courts in Paris. Murray has
played seven and a bit matches on European red clay this season and been
near his best on only a couple of occasions.

He did clutch the small of his back as he lurched into a backhand on the final
point, which gave rise to the thought that he is not 100 per cent
physically. The signs were of a man not comfortable and with three
grand-slam tournaments and the Olympics over the next four months, these are
disconcerting times.

Murray suggested that he had been having twinges since December. In those
circumstances and discovering Gasquet in flashes of the form that make him
such a talent — unfulfilled though it has been — does not make for a happy
recipe.

After two hours and 57 minutes of running, scrapping, grimacing, swearing — “I
hate this game, I really hate it,” he screamed — he was undone by the
artistry of Gasquet and his own culpability.

Murray hopes to have five or six days at Roland Garros in the company of Ivan
Lendl, his coach, who chose to attend the first two clay events of the year
but passed on this one. Whether they can come up with a strategy, or Lendl
can find the right words to inspire his charge, time will tell. At present,
however, you would not wager much on a repetition of his semi-final
performance at the French Open of 2011.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 18 May 2012, 9:51 pm

HE - I'm afraid you've played the same record too many times to convince anyone that your motives are anything but to have yet another dig at Murray.

The general consensus on here, as it would be anywhere I suspect, is that Murray was just releasing some pent up frustration at a below par performance. Until you apply a bit of balance to your Murray articles (which I expect to happen on the day that hell freezes over) then people are going to be at best suspicious of them and usually just dismissive of your opinion on Murray.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 10:03 pm

hawkeye wrote:... After two hours and 57 minutes of running, scrapping, grimacing, swearing — “I hate this game, I really hate it,” he screamed — he was undone by the artistry of Gasquet and his own culpability. ...

O' dear, this doesn't sound good at all. Maybe he should write off this clay season, and go for some new age therapy to calm the mind. Sad

Murray Really Did Shout "I Hate This Game, I Really Hate It" - Page 2 346548009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2