The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER?

+24
sugarNspikes
GunsGerms
Morgannwg
thebluesmancometh
Moorsman
BoyneRFC
Feckless Rogue
Jenifer McLadyboy
Brendan
asoreleftshoulder
rodders
Artful_Dodger
HammerofThunor
Smirnoffpriest
geoff999rugby
ScarletSpiderman
maestegmafia
Notch
red_stag
Mickado
Biltong
caoimhincentre
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
HERSH
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER? Empty The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER?

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Feel free to discuss all things rugby related, apart from the HC Final.

Why I hear you ask?

Because the Competition is structured wrong and gives some teams an unfair advantage, this is my view and it won’t change until the structure is changed. furious

The HC is devalued as it is.

But I accept some fans will want to discuss it so I ask them to respect the F A C T that some rugby fans don't!
thumbsup

Last edited by HERSH on Fri May 18, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER? Empty Re: The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Larger?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER? Empty Re: The Non HC Final thread - Who wants Lager when you can have BITTER?

Post by caoimhincentre Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

devalued?/
Why because there are no english teams???

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

D'oh

See how bitter I've become Kiwi Very Happy thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 18, 2012 11:55 am

i would rather just have a whisky thanks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 11:56 am

caoimhincentre wrote:devalued?/
Why because there are no english teams???

No, but please respect the fact that some rugby fans don't want to hear about the HC Final this weekend.

It's structured wrong!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 am

will do. Ironic though how the majority of your OP has a HC theme.

Wont mention again on the thread though thumbsup

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 am

Nice avatar Hersh

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Hersh, what way would you like it structured.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm

God stag!!!

did you not see the original post.

This is NOT about the HC

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri May 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh man, this thread has put such a massive smile on my face! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm

red_stag wrote:Hersh, what way would you like it structured.

Probably like an English rugby version of the American baseball's world series.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri May 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I also love that this thread demanding we not go on about an all-Irish final has doubled the number of topics about the Final from just one topic to two right away Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Who's going to win the Amlin then?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Gentlemen feel free to pull Hersh' statement to pieces.

He makes the statement that the HC is devalued due to the structure that is wrong.

Then he says you may not discuss it.

Go ahead and discuss ideas around if you could change the structure, how would you like it to be done.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Most important final of the weekend is being played tonight (live on s4c), Pontypridd V Llanelli in the welsh premiership final, that is the one we should all be talking about!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Most important final of the weekend is being played tonight (live on s4c), Pontypridd V Llanelli in the welsh premiership final, that is the one we should all be talking about!

That’s more like it, two real rugby teams doing battle for the pride of the shirt not the win bonus in the overseas bank account!

What times the kick off Scarlet?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Premiership play-off final: Pontypridd v Llanelli
Venue: Sardis Road
Date: Friday, 18th May
Kick-off: 19:35 BST
Coverage: Live on S4C, updates on BBC Sport website

Pontypridd:
Adam Thomas; Chris Clayton, Gavin Dacey, Dafydd Lockyer, Matthew Nuthall; Lewis K Williams, Lewis Jones;

Stuart Williams, Huw Dowden, Pat Palmer, Craig Locke, Ryan Savage, Chris Dicomidis (capt), Wayne O'Connor, Dan Godfrey.

Replacements: Rhys Downes, Gareth Wyatt, Gary Williams, Darran Harris, Jake Thomas, Cory Hill, Chris Phillips.

Llanelli:
Dan Newton; Iolo Evans, Nic Reynolds, Johnny Lewis, Jordan Williams; Owen Williams, Justin James;

Shaun Hopkins, Kirby Myhill, Aled Hopkins, Adam Powell (capt), Nathan White, Duane Eager, Nic Cudd, Craig Price.

Replacements: Rhys Thomas, Craig Hawkins, Samson Lee, Ed Price, Daniel Thomas, Joe Heatley, Bowdy Davies.

Referee: Ian Davies (Porthcawl).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Another English who cannot grasp the true reason no English team have made the final.

Never mind the Irish promise to give Twickers back after Saturday Yahoo

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm

biltongbek wrote:Gentlemen feel free to pull Hersh' statement to pieces.

He makes the statement that the HC is devalued due to the structure that is wrong.

Go ahead and discuss ideas around if you could change the structure, how would you like it to be done.

Rather harsh response Bil, I think it’s a fair request for rugby fans to have somewhere to escape the plastic HC Final/Competition this weekend.

Firstly I'd like to see all teams involved having to qualify and earning the right to take part that would create a more level playing field throughout Europe.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Cheers Scarlet, enjoy it OK
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Premiership play-off final: Pontypridd v Llanelli
Venue: Sardis Road
Date: Friday, 18th May
Kick-off: 19:35 BST
Coverage: Live on S4C, updates on BBC Sport website

Pontypridd:
Adam Thomas; Chris Clayton, Gavin Dacey, Dafydd Lockyer, Matthew Nuthall; Lewis K Williams, Lewis Jones;

Stuart Williams, Huw Dowden, Pat Palmer, Craig Locke, Ryan Savage, Chris Dicomidis (capt), Wayne O'Connor, Dan Godfrey.

Replacements: Rhys Downes, Gareth Wyatt, Gary Williams, Darran Harris, Jake Thomas, Cory Hill, Chris Phillips.

Llanelli:
Dan Newton; Iolo Evans, Nic Reynolds, Johnny Lewis, Jordan Williams; Owen Williams, Justin James;

Shaun Hopkins, Kirby Myhill, Aled Hopkins, Adam Powell (capt), Nathan White, Duane Eager, Nic Cudd, Craig Price.

Replacements: Rhys Thomas, Craig Hawkins, Samson Lee, Ed Price, Daniel Thomas, Joe Heatley, Bowdy Davies.

Referee: Ian Davies (Porthcawl).

Does that mean Jordan Williams is on the wing??? Suprised Samson Lee isn't playing (though I thought he was a Quinns player) and D Thomas, though Cudd is quite good from the little bit I've seen

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 12:45 pm

HERSH wrote:Feel free to discuss all things rugby related, apart from the HC Final.

Why I hear you ask?

Because the Competition is structured wrong and gives some teams an unfair advantage, this is my view and it won’t change until the structure is changed. furious

The HC is devalued as it is.

But I accept some fans will want to discuss it so I ask them to respect the F A C T that some rugby fans don't!
thumbsup

So we're not to discuss a certain tournament that Hersh has mentioned repeatedly in his OP, while he has made a sweeping statement about said 'certain tournament' that of course can't be commented on or questioned as we can't discuss the competition. It seems funny as his Avatar is a white H on a green field which bares a slight resemblance to a certain competitions logo (if only I could remember what it was).

He also tells us to discuss anything other than this tournament yet gives no topics to discuss and seems to be minimising the whole point of the Rugby Board down to 1 thread (ie discuss anything rugby related).

Interesting

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 12:47 pm

HERSH wrote:

Rather harsh response Bil, I think it’s a fair request for rugby fans to have somewhere to escape the plastic HC Final/Competition this weekend.

Firstly I'd like to see all teams involved having to qualify and earning the right to take part that would create a more level playing field throughout Europe.

Hersh, I tell you what. Maybe we'll say to England/France that they have to copy Ireland, Wales, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Scotland in having franchises for their international "club" games.

You can have 6 regions each and get automatic entry. Or have 7 each and you have take all 7 to the Heino if one of your boys manages to win it.

The futures in your own hands my friend.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

HERSH wrote:

Well there's several threads on the AP final, a couple on Super Rugby, and several on the upcoming June internationals. Plus some on likely rule changes, and several of Portnoys' threads complaining about how things were better in the old days.

But anyway, my alma mater Marlborough Boys College host Christs' College in the Press Cup South Island Secondary School Cup tomorrow, hear's hoping the posh private schoolboys get a beating. Both teams scored over 50 points in their matches (vs Burnside (Christchurch) and Nayland (Nelson) respectively) last week. And my old club Renwick face a tough 2 hour drive over the Wangamoas for their match against Riwaka in the Marlborough-Nelson club championship.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 12:52 pm

red_stag wrote:
HERSH wrote:

Hersh, I tell you what. Maybe we'll say to England/France that they have to copy Ireland, Wales, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Scotland in having franchises for their international "club" games.

You can have 6 regions each and get automatic entry. Or have 7 each and you have take all 7 to the Heino if one of your boys manages to win it.

I mean's fairs fare - why should ENg/France be allowed to play by a different system than everyone else?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

red_stag wrote:
HERSH wrote:

vomit I just gagged a little reading that. What a horrible idea! Think about Exeter. What about Exeter?!

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Hammer, they get to be a part of the newly formed South West Chiefs who are now based in Bristol but rotate around the other town in their region; namely Bath, Exeter and Gloucester thumbsup

Last edited by red_stag on Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
red_stag wrote:
HERSH wrote:

vomit I just gagged a little reading that. What a horrible idea! Think about Exeter. What about Exeter?!

They'd be your South West region with Bath, Cornish Pirates and maybe Bristol - with Jersey as a feeder club! Very Happy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri May 18, 2012 1:01 pm

vomit

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm just looking forward to the Anglo-French club competition. The international regional franchises can have their own. That way everyone is on the level thumbsup

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 pm

You can also have the East Mids Oaks based around Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton.

Leeds-Manchester can be another.

The Greater London is surely large enough to have two-three.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I'm just looking forward to the Anglo-French club competition. The international regional franchises can have their own. That way everyone is on the level thumbsup

thumbsup

In dealings with the FFR there can be no winner.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 pm

red_stag wrote:You can also have the East Mids Oaks based around Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton.

vomit vomit

Please stop. There some blood in that one.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Regional rugby doesn't work so why would England's great clubs want to go down that path? Shocked
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm

HERSH wrote:Regional rugby doesn't work

No but provincial rugby does Smile

Seems your not so serious about restructuring the HC at all.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 1:18 pm

But England doesn't really have provinces does it.

plus most Jeff clubs still have bigger attendances.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 pm

there is nothing wrong with the english sturcture. teams simply are not good enough at the moment.

that will change no doubt. no team or country will stay at the top forever

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 pm

HERSH wrote:Regional rugby doesn't work so why would England's great clubs want to go down that path? Shocked

There are no great English clubs. The last great English club was probably Dallagio's HEC winning Wasps side.

Theres plenty of average English cubs who might benefit from going down that path though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Define Greatness?

Surely winning the unbalanced, poorly structured HC doesn’t make a side great?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 pm

HERSH wrote:Define Greatness?

Lots of people seem to like the HEC as it is - a lot of the 're-structuring' calls seem to be to make it easier for English teams and harder for Irish teams.

Some would say that doing that would make it unbalanced... Whistle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Ah but Hersh if anyone can make it work its the English. I would say that it only doesn't work in Wales. That aside I dont see an issue.

The Crusaders (formerly the Canterbury Crusaders) are a New Zealand professional franchise rugby union team based in Christchurch that competes in the Super Rugby competition. They are the most successful team in Super Rugby history with seven titles (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2008). The franchise represents the Buller, Canterbury, Mid-Canterbury, South Canterbury, Tasman and West Coast provincial Rugby Unions. Their main home ground is AMI Stadium, formerly known as Jade Stadium and before that, Lancaster Park.

Looks like a regional set up working to me.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm

So rather than restructuring in any shape or form themselves its a case of England saying 'why cant you make the HC easy for us to win Crying or Very sad '

Sad times.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
red_stag wrote:You can also have the East Mids Oaks based around Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton.

vomit vomit

Please stop. There some blood in that one.

Hammer, you haven't even heard about the new Coventry Wasps RFC.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri May 18, 2012 1:35 pm

and French! Artful.

But Stag it's their national sport, they would turn up to watch a pub game if it was the only game being played that weekend, Rugby Union in England isn't.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri May 18, 2012 1:38 pm

For me a great side proves themselves domestically and against the best in Europe.

Toulouse, the Leicester Tigers 2002/3 side, Dallagios Wasps, Munster pre 09, Leinster post 09 , Clermont.

There are no English clubs of this calibre right now hence they are not in the final.

The bar is being raised every year so rather than making excuses maybe these great English clubs should start stepping up to the challenge laid down by the likes of Leinster and Clermont.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 1:38 pm

HERSH wrote:and French! Artful.

But Stag it's their national sport, they would turn up to watch a pub game if it was the only game being played that weekend, Rugby Union in England isn't.

You could say the same about Wales - indeed many fans from North and Mid Wales and some towns/villages in South Wales do turn up to watch their pub teams or their local Div 2/3 sides play.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Does that mean Jordan Williams is on the wing??? Suprised Samson Lee isn't playing (though I thought he was a Quinns player) and D Thomas, though Cudd is quite good from the little bit I've seen

Yeah thats how I read it with Jordan. He was fullback last weekend, and Dan Newton was flyhalf. I guess Iongi is out injured or something, because he was playing really well on the wing last week. Cudd is a decent enough player, but I would assume Dan Thomas will be on for a decent run in the second.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri May 18, 2012 1:40 pm

rodders wrote:

For me a great side proves themselves domestically and against the best in Europe.

Toulouse, the Leicester Tigers 2002/3 side, Dallagios Wasps, Munster pre 09, Leinster post 09 , Clermont.

There are no English clubs of this calibre right now hence they are not in the final.

The bar is being raised every year so rather than making excuses maybe these great English clubs should start stepping up to the challenge laid down by the likes of Leinster and Clermont.

Ahh but you forget the Rabo isn't a 'proper' competition and Leinseter basically get a bye to the final of the HEC each year. And it's not fare to compare English clubs with French clubs because of the salary cap!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next