The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster Hype?

+46
red_stag
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
mankiaow
Croyman
whocares
kiakahaaotearoa
Notch
Glas a du
geoff998rugby
Welshmushroom
Luckless Pedestrian
Suspicious lurker
profitius
Taffineastbourne
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
dublin_dave
caoimhincentre
beshocked
killer938
Brendan
eirebilly
Biltong
Breadvan
BoyneRFC
offload
theslosty
ME-109
Huwball
fa0019
Artful_Dodger
Hookisms and Hyperbole
SecretFly
clivemcl
LondonTiger
GunsGerms
Thomond
Mickado
Morgannwg
Feckless Rogue
Pot Hale
Shauna784
LeinsterFan4life
Gordy
50 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Leinster Hype? - Page 4 Empty Leinster Hype?

Post by Gordy Sun 20 May 2012, 5:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, do we believe it or not? Alot of talk about them being the best Heiniken Cup side ever and even being right up there with the best Southern Hemisphere clubs. I have also read that they would be able to match international sides. Are people getting carried away? I thought Ulster were very dissapointing. Clermont would have beaten them comfortably.

But can we forget about the other great Heiniken Cup teams? Leicester? Wasps? Toulouse? Leinster are having their moment now but Im not so sure they beat those previous great teams.....

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Leinster Hype? - Page 4 Empty Re: Leinster Hype?

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 4:27 pm

I'll concede that beady eye are exceptionally talented.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Glas a du wrote:
You take that back.

Everything changes but you, asore

Well played sir.

'clap'

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 22 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Mickado wrote:Yeah, i'm going to take serious exception to that Rods.

Abbey Road is the finest album of all time.

Ah jeebus more hyperbole from the Leinster fans! king
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 4:32 pm

I mean Don McLean bangs on about 'the Music' but its just plinky-plinky saccharine manufactured pop. Have you heard his Christmas song? About a lollypop in a Christmas shop? FFS!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 4:33 pm

rodders wrote:

NOTICE: this post has officially made my day.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Glas a du wrote:I mean Don McLean bangs on about 'the Music' but its just plinky-plinky saccharine manufactured pop. Have you heard his Christmas song? About a lollypop in a Christmas shop? FFS!

That's his'music'. Don't knock it till you try the lollypop. Try Daniel O'Donnell whilst you're at it to really open your eyes to where music can go with a voice and a guitar string................................................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 4:42 pm

I know where I can go... Run
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 4:47 pm

Glas a du wrote:
rodders wrote:

NOTICE: this post has officially made my day.

Sgt. Pepper IMO is their best album, and their most creative. Followed by Revolver.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 May 2012, 4:47 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote: furious

Sorry Rory. The Gallagher brothers aren't overrated. Wonderwall is a great song. Ulster are as good as Man City (well the part about being full of rich mercenary foreigners is true at least)
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 4:53 pm

You and your games stag!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:You and your games stag!

Hug
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 22 May 2012, 5:04 pm

The Beatles released Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, The White Album, Let It Be and Abbey Road in the space of four years.

That's the equivalent of winning 7 Heineken Cups and 1 Amlin in 4 years (Yellow Submarine = the 1 Amlin).

They are the best there's ever been.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 May 2012, 5:05 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:The Beatles released Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, The White Album, Let It Be and Abbey Road in the space of four years.

That's the equivalent of winning 7 Heineken Cups and 1 Amlin in 4 years (Yellow Submarine = the 1 Amlin).

They are the best there's ever been.

Apart from Jedward obviously
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Music is a subjective thing though Wink I do not like everything that the Beatles have released, and find a lot of their stuff overrated.

Hendrix released 3 albums that were out of this world, in about 2 years before his death. Plus his brilliant work with the Band of Gypsys.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Beatles are probably the Clermont of music. Most people think they were the best....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 5:09 pm

...others go Shocked

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 5:27 pm

The Beatles rule the school, that school being all the music that's ever been recorded. If you disagree it's detention for you, where you'll have to listen to that new song by Jessie J over and over again until you recant.

I was thinking about this thread on the way home (only two people were knocked over): are Leinster over-rated? Well really, I suppose they're not. The reason I said they were was because I was still thinking of something Miles Harrison said at full time on Saturday: "Leinster have blown Ulster away". It would be more factually correct to say that Leinster pulled away from Ulster at the end.

So in conclusion, all I really disagree with is Miles Harrison's choice of words.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 5:54 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The Beatles rule the school, that school being all the music that's ever been recorded. If you disagree it's detention for you, where you'll have to listen to that new song by Jessie J over and over again until you recant.

I was thinking about this thread on the way home (only two people were knocked over): are Leinster over-rated? Well really, I suppose they're not. The reason I said they were was because I was still thinking of something Miles Harrison said at full time on Saturday: "Leinster have blown Ulster away". It would be more factually correct to say that Leinster pulled away from Ulster at the end.

So in conclusion, all I really disagree with is Miles Harrison's choice of words.

I didn't get comfortable until well into the 2nd half...but then I never do with Leinster. But you're right... silly talk is silly talk. Leinster finally did kinda blow Ulster away but that was after a long grind down session that could have been a closer scoreline in the end. But then I'm also always asking was the final flourish always planned too? Impact subs really are that in name and nature the way Schmidt coaches. But I'll concur with your thoughts. Ulster did have their moments and their chances to make it a closer game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 6:34 pm

The Beatles were quite innovative when the canon of popular music was quite limited. Trendsetters. Much of their music is tame, bland, pop. Anybody who thinks differently listen to Oobladiblada.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 6:38 pm

Glas a du wrote:The Beatles were quite innovative when the canon of popular music was quite limited. Trendsetters. Much of their music is tame, bland, pop. Anybody who thinks differently listen to Oobladiblada.

We agree! Finally... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 6:44 pm

Yahoo
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 6:46 pm

Bob Dylan is another one. Terrible voice.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 May 2012, 6:48 pm

I gotta love these Irish threads. Guaranteed to go off on tangents and always good for a laugh. Speaking of the Beatles, it always angers me when people ask are you a Stones fan or a Beatles fan with the implication that I can't be both. Being a fan of both, I am never allowed the both option. In a way this need to categorise teams or bands in absolute terms are the same. Ultimately, it comes down to subjective opinion. Who is better: the Beatles or the Stones? Leinster or the Crusaders?

Thanks for your post on page 3 mankiaow. (I hope that's your name. Your post is not on the same page as this one). I understand where that opinion comes from and in a way it is insecurity. Normally the first thing New Zealanders ask tourists in their country is 'so what do you think of NZ' and if the answer is not gushing praise of the beautiful landscapes and friendly people then they begin to snarl and put on a face worse than if you had put down a social indiscretion. I understand that need to prove yourself to the world, to be recognised. But ultimately all the talking happens on the field. Fans can talk up their chances all they like and be entrenched in their own opinions. But some things don't need talking up and some facts speak for themselves. Leinster is in the process of building such a legacy in Europe. That achievement is not to be sneezed at. Savour the feeling like a fine wine.

And by the way Rubber Soul is the best Beatles album. Not musically or lyrically but sentimentally for me. I knew a girl called Michelle and she probably hates the album now but when I was 16 I hammered that album and hammered... warning

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 6:58 pm

Rubber Soul's my favourite if I had to pick one Beatles album. OK

Glas, 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' isn't their finest hour, but it's a good tune. Paul McCartney's a tunesmith. If you get the chance, you should look up the unreleased version of the song. It has a better bassline, extra harmonies and for my money it's a better production overall.

Ah balls, I'll save you the trouble:

https://youtu.be/4cCcxmBaucE

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 May 2012, 7:02 pm

Michelle would be my greatest hit. Leinster Hype? - Page 4 3933776953 Run (for your life)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 7:09 pm

'Wait' is great, and not just because it rhymes with great.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 7:14 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I gotta love these Irish threads. Guaranteed to go off on tangents and always good for a laugh. Speaking of the Beatles, it always angers me when people ask are you a Stones fan or a Beatles fan with the implication that I can't be both.

Personally and seriously speaking, I find the entire question itself annoying; as it presumes you not only must be in one camp or the other but that you definately, for the sake of your musical soul and the respect of your peers, have to be in one of them.

I'm not. I like a lot of Stones music, I like some of the Beatles (serious psychedelic stuff not the boyband...em...numbers) But I'm certainly not in either camp, don't define my musical tastes by using either of them as a blueprint, don't define music itself as being a child of those two bands, don't have record collections of either band.

Not saying they aren't important to their followers or those who like to view music as some kind of University course you must pass before you have any street cred, but for me, they're not large on my radar, either of them.

But yep, it all does come down to personal taste and what your ear likes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 7:20 pm

And the ear likes what it likes. If one of my favourite bands released a stinker of an album, I wouldn't pretend to like it. If a singer I really didn't like came out with a really good single, I'd buy it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 22 May 2012, 7:24 pm

Obla di obla da is so bad I always presumed it was written by Ringo. But I looked it up, it was McCartney. It's sh!te.

But every band has sh!te songs. Go through all of Johnny Cash's albums and there's actually quite a large number of sh!te songs. He must have wrote thousands, they can't all be good. But his best ones are pure class.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue 22 May 2012, 7:35 pm

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 7:38 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Obla di obla da is so bad I always presumed it was written by Ringo. But I looked it up, it was McCartney. It's sh!te.

But every band has sh!te songs. Go through all of Johnny Cash's albums and there's actually quite a large number of sh!te songs. He must have wrote thousands, they can't all be good. But his best ones are pure class.

Yeah, that's probably it...the songs, the sounds of those songs (well for me sound is infinitely more important than the lyrics although I do like powerful lyrics when they hit and stand out from the crowd)

But yep, for me it probably IS the songs more than any band that really produces them.. My tastes are highly eclectic (country, jazz, rock, swing) and very selective (that bit Luckless refered to that just because I like a band or singer doesn't make me pretend to like everything they do). I select from the menu.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 8:35 pm

I think we should have a music section on the rugby union forum! Quite a few people seem interested in it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 8:43 pm

Nah. I just mentioned Buddy Holly to change the subject, clear the air. Worked a treat, even if I say so myself.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 8:44 pm

Well I would be up for having a thread on it! The likes of Gibson posts music clips (especially of Van Morrison) often, would be cool to have a thread which can be updated with that kind of thing. Or at least I think so. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 22 May 2012, 8:48 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Well I would be up for having a thread on it! The likes of Gibson posts music clips (especially of Van Morrison) often, would be cool to have a thread which can be updated with that kind of thing. Or at least I think so. Wink
Rory, it's called the Pub, which has its very own jukebox Cool

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 8:49 pm

Well it is a very quite jukebox! Turn it up, I haven't heard any music on it yet.. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 8:55 pm

Ask your wife to let you out more thumbsup

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 8:57 pm

Bit young for a wife at the minute glas. Wink

Also, with the crap played around these parts, no thanks!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 8:59 pm

You're not THE Rory Gallagher then...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 May 2012, 9:02 pm

Shh don't tell anyone..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 9:08 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Obla di obla da is so bad I always presumed it was written by Ringo.

That's a bit harsh - Ringo wrote 'Octopus's Garden', which is a fine tune.

I grew up thinking 'Yellow Submarine' was a nursery rhyme because my mum used to sing it to us. She also used to sing 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road', but that's another story.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Tue 22 May 2012, 9:08 pm

Since this thread has abandoned all connection with rugby, best to nail my musical loyalties to the wall. Was at Elvis Costello in Point 10 days ago - bleedin awesome - don't get sh!te like obladi-oblada with Elvis - just great songs and a great band. Now for Paul SImon's Graceland gig next month - was at original 25 yrs ago in the Simonscouirt barn (old furt!) and it made the hairs stand up on the back of me head and then the Boss treading the hallowed ground of the RDS in July. How Brucie is fully clued in on the legacy of where he is going to be struttin his stuff

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Tue 22 May 2012, 9:10 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:Obla di obla da is so bad I always presumed it was written by Ringo.

That's a bit harsh - Ringo wrote 'Octopus's Garden', which is a fine tune.

I grew up thinking 'Yellow Submarine' was a nursery rhyme because my mum used to sing it to us. She also used to sing 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road', but that's another story.

Yellow Submarine is changed by the Clermont fans and also the Villareal fans in La Liga. Wonder does Ringo know that

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 9:14 pm

Now Paul Simon's written some pearlers in his time. OK

I went on holiday to the Costa Brava years ago and a Spanish version of 'Yellow Submarine' came over the hotel radio while I was by the pool:

music Amarillo submarino es,
Amarillo es, amarillo es... music

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 22 May 2012, 9:21 pm

Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep etc are all great.

Beefheart wipes the floor with all of them though.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 9:22 pm

That is freaky. I just posted 'Zig Zag Wanderer' in the rugby pub.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 22 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That is freaky. I just posted 'Zig Zag Wanderer' in the rugby pub.
Nice one! Great song and one of his more 'accessible' tunes Very Happy I saw The Magic Band a couple of months ago in York. A great line-up with John French doing a good version of the Captain on vocals.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 May 2012, 9:27 pm

My brother has done coaching badges. During an exercise he got the other lads to sing "Yellow Submarine" as they practised back moves. The result was they couldn't concentrate on the moves and the singing and kept dropping the ball. He used it as an example of why back moves should be used sparingly as the pressure of a game situation and defenders rushing up was comparable to the distraction of singing. Also it meant they were not reacting to what was in front of them.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 May 2012, 9:28 pm

I only bought Safe as Milk last year, it's such a good album. Much more accessible for me than Trout Mask Replica, which I bought years ago and never quite got into as an album.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 22 May 2012, 9:32 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I only bought Safe as Milk last year, it's such a good album. Much more accessible for me than Trout Mask Replica, which I bought years ago and never quite got into as an album.
Yeah, Trout Mask is often viewed as his masterwork but Safe As Milk is just such a brilliant album, especially if you like bluesy stuff with Ry Cooder's slide playing. I think the first song I ever heard from Beefheart was Electricity. Awesome! Songs like Abba Zabba, Yellow Brick Road and Autumn's Child are among my faves too.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next