The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who wins?

5 posters

Go down

Who wins? Empty Who wins?

Post by azania Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:08 am

I've just seen Rumble in the Jungle on espn classic and spent time watching some old liston fights. I was surprised how shoddy Foreman looked. Often Liston is overlooked in ATG debates and Foreman elevated mainly due to his blits of Frazier and Norton and his defeat of Moorer.

Pit Liston and Foreman in the ring and who wins?

I'd go for Liston on the basis that he wouldn't be intimidated by Foreman and had better all round boxing skills and less open that GF seemed to be in his fight with Ali.

Foreman looked awesome when he has a stationary target to hit. Frazier gave him that. Liston would not to so stationary and had a punishing jab and excellent straight punches. GF had a weakness for straight rights as shown by ALi and surprisingly by Jimmy Young.

Thoughts on how such a fight would go?

azania

Back to top Go down

Who wins? Empty Re: Who wins?

Post by WDR Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:16 am

Very tough fight to call and a truly superb match-up.

There would be no fear or intimidation and you are probably matching up the two most feared Heavyweights in history.

I think Liston had the better overall skills and his jab was a superb, ramrod punch that he would use to good effect in this fight.

Foreman while slow and pretty crude would still have success and be able to draw Sonny in and the size advantages are with Foreman. I'd take Foreman to beat most Heavyweights in history due to his power and toughness but I think Liston could cope and if I had to bet I'd go for a Liston points decision - albeit a close one.

For the record: Foreman vs Ron Lyle is one of the best Heavyweight fights I've ever seen - no skill just pure, raw Heavyweight aggression.

WDR

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:24 am

Came across this photo while doing the 'Favourite Pictures' thread earlier.
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img104/6867/listonvsforemanpo1.jpg

Tough one to call, could see a stoppage for either fighter.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2011, 9:21 am

Given Sonny looks about the same age as George there and George looks SMALLER than Liston, I'd suggest it's a poor mock up

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 05 Apr 2011, 9:46 am

It's never a sure thing with two bangers, and it's particularly tough in this instance, since they knew each other inside out. George was Liston's sparring partner coming up and the two also used to give exhibitions against each other.

Having said that, I might lean ever so slightly toward Sonny, on his very best night, to beat George on his.

The Liston who beat Williams, Valdez, DeJohn, Folley, Machen and Patterson could box the boxers and slug with the sluggers. He could slip, block and roll, had a phenomenal reach, a battering ram of a left jab and a proven chin.

Foreman's jab was probably every bit as heavy as Liston's but not so accurate. He could, in my opinion, match Liston - maybe even beat him - for natural power, and he also had an excellent chin. However, I just feel that Liston has a slightly more complete toolbox, and I'm certain that Foreman's huge presence and ability to intimidate would not be an issue here and that neither would it be an issue vice versa.

Fantastic match up, and very tough to call.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 9:51 am

I'd have Foreman winning...One I think he punched harder and two I think Foreman was stronger.

In other criteria they are very similar but I think Foreman over powers him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down