The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

p4p best... top 3 wins...

+12
milkyboy
Diamond in the rough
Imperial Ghosty
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
TopHat24/7
ChelskiFanski
16 posters

Go down

p4p best... top 3 wins... Empty p4p best... top 3 wins...

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

A discussion about the best p4per, but with a twist - my idea is to rate the boxers based on their best 3 wins. Ignore losses, ignore belts, just look at their best wins. Obviously there is a lot more to being the best than having some stand out victories but I thought it could be fun.

I'll start off with Ali, as I really don't know enough in depth about other guys! Please feel free to add your thoughts in the comments. If the idea takes off I'll put up a poll in a couple of days and people can vote for their favourite.

Ali v Liston 1 - Ali beat a beast against the odds, even managing to last a round whilst partially blinded
Ali v Quarry 2 - Windy always used to pick this fight as the one that showed Ali at his best; I defer to his better judgement!
Ali v Foreman - Again Ali upsets the odds to beat a wrecking machine, and reclaims the title over 10 years after first winning it

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

p4p best... top 3 wins... Empty Re: p4p best... top 3 wins...

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

Well, looking at modern fighters, it certainly puts Pac ahead of Floyd conclusively for once!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

Who are Floyd's best 3?

De La Hoya
Jose Luis Castillo 2
Diego Corrales

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:58 pm

I'd swap ODLH for Gatti, based on the performance. Though ODLH is a bigger name obviously.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Pacquiao's

Barrera 1
Cotto
Marquez (Though contentious)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:I'd swap ODLH for Gatti, based on the performance. Though ODLH is a bigger name obviously.

Not for me despite how one sided it was, it was so one sided due to Gatti being nowhere near skillful to beat Floyd, ODLH at 154lbs decisively is WAY better in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:05 pm

If anyone could help me out with Ezzard Charles, I reckon he might win this!

Charlie Burley and Archie Moore between them could probably be his best 3 wins, just not sure which fights to pick! Always got Joey Maxim and Jimmy Bivins as back up...

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:06 pm

This is where Ray Leonard comes into his forte

Hagler-comeback fight etc, agaisnt the odds
Hearns I-Significance and manner of victory
Duran II-Embarrassed the man who beat him

You can switch any of those with Benitez

I'd have DLH, Corrales and Castillo II for mayweather

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:13 pm

Difficult with Floyd. On paper, the wins over Oscar and Mosley were impressive, but both were a long way past their best and, in light of their performances after facing Floyd, they evidently had very little left in the tank when he fought them. Judah was coming off a loss, the recent signs suggest that Cotto has been waning for a while, Ortiz is still yet to really prove himself and Gatti, though it was a fine performance, was just Arturo at the end of the day, already soundly thrashed by Oscar a few years before.

I'd probably say that his top three wins, not in any kind of order, are Corrales, Hatton and Marquez.

I can appreciate that the last two might surprise a few people (and I did consider swapping at least one of them with either Hernandez or Castillo), but Hatton was an undefeated fighter in the prime of his life (a pound for pound top tenner in some people's eyes), who at least had one more big performance in him against Paulie. The fight with Marquez was derided at the time, but Juan Manuel's subsequent victories and showings tell me that Mayweather dominating him so thoroughly wasn't all down to size or age, albeit he clearly hadn't gone about bulking up to Welter in the right manner when he fought Floyd.

So, Corrales, Hatton and Marquez for me on Mayweather's ledger. Doesn't quite match Pacquiao's top three of Barrera I, Cotto and Marquez II (or Hatton, depending on your mood), all things considered.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:I'd swap ODLH for Gatti, based on the performance. Though ODLH is a bigger name obviously.

Gatti was a more conclusive win, but means nothing on the record as Gatti wasn't elite

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Difficult with Floyd. On paper, the wins over Oscar and Mosley were impressive, but both were a long way past their best and, in light of their performances after facing Floyd, they evidently had very little left in the tank when he fought them. Judah was coming off a loss, the recent signs suggest that Cotto has been waning for a while, Ortiz is still yet to really prove himself and Gatti, though it was a fine performance, was just Arturo at the end of the day, already soundly thrashed by Oscar a few years before.

I'd probably say that his top three wins, not in any kind of order, are Corrales, Hatton and Marquez.

I can appreciate that the last two might surprise a few people (and I did consider swapping at least one of them with either Hernandez or Castillo), but Hatton was an undefeated fighter in the prime of his life (a pound for pound top tenner in some people's eyes), who at least had one more big performance in him against Paulie. The fight with Marquez was derided at the time, but Juan Manuel's subsequent victories and showings tell me that Mayweather dominating him so thoroughly wasn't all down to size or age, albeit he clearly hadn't gone about bulking up to Welter in the right manner when he fought Floyd.

So, Corrales, Hatton and Marquez for me on Mayweather's ledger. Doesn't quite match Pacquiao's top three of Barrera I, Cotto and Marquez II (or Hatton, depending on your mood), all things considered.

The bloated JMM forced to move up a weight (or more) with stips PBF duly ignored is totally different to the JMM since.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:20 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

I've always thought the Hagler win was a bit overrated. I know it was his comeback fight but he really played it safe and didn't show his best ability. Basically spent a lot of his time backing off and only engaged with the flashy stuff now and again.

Also Duran II - he fought to make Duran quit. I guess this and the Hagler fight arguably show his ring smarts, but I just don't think they stack up on a p4p level anywhere near the Ali fights.

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

Rowley - any thoughts for Burley?
Dave - Peter Jackson?
Truss - Duran Wink

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

He was 'forced' to move up against Pacquiao in 2011 as well though, TH. Most of us were writing his obituary then (and this is before he suddenly transformed himself in to a mini bodybuilder). As I say, if someone were to take Marquez out and replace him with Hernandez, Castillo etc then I wouldn't particularly object, but I do think that Floyd dealing with Marquez so easily looks a lot better and more meritorious than it did three years ago. You have to admit that, after a lay off of nearly two years, it was a remarkable, virtuoso performance by Floyd.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

Chelski

I personally would leave Bivins out for Charles, by the time Charles started to beat Jimmy he had already started to display the patchy form that would be typical of his later career. If I was picking for Charles would have the second Burley fight as Charley tried pretty much everything in that one to no avail and according to most reports it was one of the clearer losses Charley suffered.

Would have the third Moore win as the first couple were apparently pretty close (Moore maintains the first was a robbery) whereas I have heard nothing similar about the last win. The third I would have would be his first win over Walcott, no mean feat for a former light heavy to win a world heavyweight title in the days of one belt per weight, even a vacant one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:30 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:

I've always thought the Hagler win was a bit overrated. I know it was his comeback fight but he really played it safe and didn't show his best ability. Basically spent a lot of his time backing off and only engaged with the flashy stuff now and again.

Also Duran II - he fought to make Duran quit. I guess this and the Hagler fight arguably show his ring smarts, but I just don't think they stack up on a p4p level anywhere near the Ali fights.

Give him a break. It would be basically impossible for ANY career welterweight to not fight for so long and come back and give Hagler a real fight, let alone actually (Disputedly) beat him!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

For Burley I would have the second fight with Zivic, apparently the first was something of a robbery but in the second Charley left nothing to chance and apparently beat Zivic out of sight, given Zivic has a well deserved reputation for dirtiness and was not a bad fighter in his own respect and Charley was still a relative novice this is an excellent win.

Would have his win over Archie Moore which Archie himself admits was nothing short of an absolute hiding as one of his three and for his third it is difficult to know what to pick. Would probably pick either his win over Billy Soose who was not a bad fighter and is somewhat under rated in his own right or as a slightly left field pick his shellacking of heavyweight JD Turner. Should be said Turner was nothing more than a run of the mill heavyweight but for a natural welter/light middle to absolutely bounce a genuine heavyweight around the ring is mightly impressive however you look at it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

88Chris05 wrote:He was 'forced' to move up against Pacquiao in 2011 as well though, TH. Most of us were writing his obituary then (and this is before he suddenly transformed himself in to a mini bodybuilder). As I say, if someone were to take Marquez out and replace him with Hernandez, Castillo etc then I wouldn't particularly object, but I do think that Floyd dealing with Marquez so easily looks a lot better and more meritorious than it did three years ago. You have to admit that, after a lay off of nearly two years, it was a remarkable, virtuoso performance by Floyd.

2011 pretty much proves my point, looked much much better than what fought Floyd. In the same way as we knock Pac's win over ODLH because he was basically a gaunt ghost, similar should be done for the JMM that fought Floyd. With further marking down for PBF ignoring the stips - a much more serious issue than Pac's stip v Cotto which he gets chastised for.

I also don't think of it as a 'remarkable virtuoso performance' either, he just beat a guy who was less good at exactly the same thing he was. It was a battle of the counter punches and the first to break rank and actually try lead the fight was always going to lose.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:51 pm

I thought Mayweather was exceptional that night myself, TH, but that's just me. It's the only time that Marquez has been put to the sword, so to speak, so not something which can be totally written off, for me.

I did acknowledge when I first mentioned the fight that Marquez wasn't in tip-top condition for a Welter, sure, just as De la Hoya was not in great shape for his fight against Manny (although Marquez still looked a hell of a lot better in the ring itself than Oscar did!). But I can't bring myself to ignore that Marquez had been in great form immediately before fighting Mayweather, and has had some high-class wins and performances since. The same can't be said of De la Hoya around the time of the Pacquiao fight, for instance.

Genuinely take no umbrage to anyone taking Marquez out of Floyd's big three and switching it with Hernandez, Castillo etc. I just think that Floyd's win over Marquez is worth a bit more than others do, personally. No big deal.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

Had JMM ever fought any counter-punchers before? Or since?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:01 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:

So your marking down his win because he didn't decide to stand and trade more with Hagler. Leonard who was off the back of inactivity, a natural welterweight and who wasn't known or his punching power agaisnt the naturally bigger, stronger and better brawler man in hagler. He may have been flashy but it was the flashy stuff that win rounds for Ali against foreman. He may not have stopped hagler like Ali did to foreman but hagler doenst get knocked out and doesn't gas like foreman

He bossed every second of every round against an all time great fighter who gave him fits in the first fight. Duran is one if the best at cutting off the ring but he was completely outclassed and was at the mercy of SRL for all of the fight

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Had JMM ever fought any counter-punchers before? Or since?

Barrera off the top of my head, admittedly of a lower class than Floyd. I don't think that's really the issue, though. Marquez might be a cut-price version of Floyd but that would make Hatton a cut-price version of Manny, and I don't see anyone degrading Pacquiao's win over him on that basis. Regardless of styles, Marquez has been in with some exceptional talents over the past decade or so, and only Floyd has managed to have it all his own way against him.

Not much else to say on the subject, really; I rate Mayweather's win over Marquez more than I did three years ago, others don't. Never mind.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

Starling.............Honey, Breland and Brown.................

Curry................Starling, Starling, Mccrory

Duran...............Leonard, Dejesus, Buchanan..........

Ali.....................Frazier, Foreman, Williams

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

Roy Jones Jr has 3 pretty emphatic wins against Hopkins at Middle, Toney at Super Middle then Ruiz at Heavyweight. 10 Years and 40lbs apart from start to finish.

Morales stacks up well here with wins against Pacquiao, Barrera and maybe Ayala as a 3rd.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Terry Norris - Leonard...Taylor..Curry.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:

So your marking down his win because he didn't decide to stand and trade more with Hagler. Leonard who was off the back of inactivity, a natural welterweight and who wasn't known or his punching power agaisnt the naturally bigger, stronger and better brawler man in hagler. He may have been flashy but it was the flashy stuff that win rounds for Ali against foreman. He may not have stopped hagler like Ali did to foreman but hagler doenst get knocked out and doesn't gas like foreman

He bossed every second of every round against an all time great fighter who gave him fits in the first fight. Duran is one if the best at cutting off the ring but he was completely outclassed and was at the mercy of SRL for all of the fight

People always give SRL credit as he was past his best, but I thought Hagler was a bit past it too. Saying that you make a pretty good case for both the Hagler and Duran wins. Maybe I'm biased due to my dislike of the guy.

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

Sam Langford has a pretty decent three wins. Beat lightweight great Joe Gans when merely a pup, turned over former light heavyweight champion Philadelphia Jack O’Brien in five rounds and even as late as 1922 when nigh on blind and some ten years past his pomp found a way to separate soon to be middleweight champion Tiger Flowers from his senses inside two rounds.

Nice spread of time between these wins, one early in his career, one during his pomp and one when he should really have hung them up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:52 pm

I always think McLarnin does quite well when you consider only their 3 best wins.

Ross, Canzoneri and Ambers is a pretty fine set of wins, in a more material sense though you would have to factor in the three losses he has to Ross and Canzoneri in return. Could quite easily swap Ambers for either Corbett or Mandell, has a great pair of 'paper wins' over Villa and Leonard but Villa was near death quite literally while Leonard was a spent force.

Greb- Tunney, Walker and Loughran (Gibbons, Dillon, Rosenbloom and Norfolk could be swapped in)
Fitzsimmons- Corbett, Dempsey and O'Brien
Leonard- Hagler, Hearns and Duran
Charles- Moore, Burley and Walcott
Robinson- Angott, Fullmer and Gavilan

The BMR in general you could say wins over pretty much any of the three others including Moore and Charles.

Bivins with Burley, Moore and Charles takes some beating thinking about it

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

Tunney - Carpentier, Greb 5, Gibbons

Not sure if I should sway Greb or Gibbons out for Dempsey

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:06 pm

You should probably swap Carpentier out for Dempsey, wasn't half the boxer either Gibbons or Greb were.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:18 pm

What do you reckon Honeyghans best wins were Truss?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 7:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Terry Norris - Leonard...Taylor..Curry.

All past it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 03 Apr 2013, 7:28 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Had JMM ever fought any counter-punchers before? Or since?

Barrera off the top of my head, admittedly of a lower class than Floyd. I don't think that's really the issue, though. Marquez might be a cut-price version of Floyd but that would make Hatton a cut-price version of Manny, and I don't see anyone degrading Pacquiao's win over him on that basis. Regardless of styles, Marquez has been in with some exceptional talents over the past decade or so, and only Floyd has managed to have it all his own way against him.

Not much else to say on the subject, really; I rate Mayweather's win over Marquez more than I did three years ago, others don't. Never mind.

I thought it was a great performance floyd never beat him with size or weight he just outclassed him not losing a round! Would be equivalent of broner fighting him now and mayweather not losing around or hardly being hit, which some people are calling for

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

ChelskiFanski wrote:
ChelskiFanski wrote:

People always give SRL credit as he was past his best, but I thought Hagler was a bit past it too. Saying that you make a pretty good case for both the Hagler and Duran wins. Maybe I'm biased due to my dislike of the guy.

After Mugabi he most certainly was, he looked a little slower on that night but also they war that ensued would knock a couple of fights off of anyone.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

Mayweather jmm... On paper it's one of his three certainly but in practice styles making fights, etc he could fight Marquez 100 times and never lose a round... Depends how you classify best win.

Hagler Leonard? Both past their best, but hard to see how a career welter beating an atg middle doesn't qualify as 1 of his 3.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Shane mosley moving up 2 weights to beat Oscar was pretty good.. At the time

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:02 pm

Marquez fought Mayweather before he was properly bulked up.

JMM would do better if they fought now, May would still win of course.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm

milkyboy wrote:Mayweather jmm... On paper it's one of his three certainly but in practice styles making fights, etc he could fight Marquez 100 times and never lose a round... Depends how you classify best win.

Hagler Leonard? Both past their best, but hard to see how a career welter beating an atg middle doesn't qualify as 1 of his 3.

I think it's harsh to mark somebody down on a win no matter how good it is simply putting that due to fighters A's style he would have a better chance against fighter B.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm

Strongback wrote:Marquez fought Mayweather before he was properly bulked up.

JMM would do better if they fought now, May would still win of course.

To be totally honest, I don't see it making a jot of difference. The only difference I could see is that perhaps Floyds legs aren't QUITE the same as they once were. I think Marquez still hits arms etc. And with the added bulk against Manny, I thought he looked a bit slower, which is fine when you're the one countering and timing a guy, but against Floyd he's going to have to come forward and he just can't really win many rounds against Floyd doing that. He may have seemingly more power but speed is what would define the fight, and thats where he would fall short, massively.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:He was 'forced' to move up against Pacquiao in 2011 as well though

However Pacquiao weighed in within the agreed limit.

Hearns: Leonard II, Duran and either outboxing Benitez with one hand or showing Virgil Hill he had a lot left to learn. Benitez the better fighter, but Hearns was old at the time and Hill was undefeated.

Duran: Leonard I, De Jesus II and Barkley given the circumstances in terms of size and age.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:03 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Mayweather jmm... On paper it's one of his three certainly but in practice styles making fights, etc he could fight Marquez 100 times and never lose a round... Depends how you classify best win.

I think it's harsh to mark somebody down on a win no matter how good it is simply putting that due to fighters A's style he would have a better chance against fighter B.

You're right alex, which is why i said on paper it's top 3. It was just never going to be a difficult fight for mayweather in my view. Its not marking mayweather down, it's a top 3 win in this context but it didn't need a top performance from him in my view and i wouldnt personally pick it in my top 3 wins for him, which is the point i was trying (badly) to make.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm

Hill was a brilliant win for Hearns, JBW. In a roundabout way, I think you could even argue it was his best ever, simply because, for pretty much the only time in a huge fight, he finally showed that he could think on his feet and use his previously absent ring smarts, rather than just his awesome physical gifts, to get the win - and an unexpected win at that.

An interesting take on this topic would be the best wins of Azumah Nelson, I think. I say this because so many of his very best career wins came in rematches and, on the basis of the first fight each time, weren't really expected.

Struggles with Villasana first time out, has it all his own way in the rematch. Only just edges past Martinez first time out, stops him in the rematch. Toils for twelve rounds with Ruelas first time out, absolutely destroys him (and I don't use that word lightly!) in the rematch. Draws with and then loses to Leija, comes back to beat him to a pulp in their third encounter.

However, top of the pile ahead of all that is the demolition of Fenech in their return.

Fenech was something truly special, absolutely outstanding at that point in his career, and after battering Nelson all over the shop in Vegas the year before (scored a truly fraudulent 'draw'), was widely expected to send the Ghanaian in to retirement. Instead, Nelson thrashed him out of sight, in front of Fenech's home fans down under.

A really remarkable performance and one of the great wins in boxing history, for me. Zoomy was an animal in that one, and let's remember that Fenech was an undefeated fighter who'd swept aside some excellent names (Payakarun, Zaragoza, Richardson, Callejas, Villasana, Martinez etc) in taking his titles at Bantam, Super-Bantam and Feather (would have been Super-Feather had those Vegas judges been paying attention as well).

Take the trouncing of Fenech, add it to one of the other examples given above and then top it off with the fact that he nailed Gomez to the canvas (admittedly having been outboxed for almost all of the second half of the fight) in the Puerto Rican's backyard to take the Featherweight title, and Zoomy has a pretty damn impressive trio of wins to boast.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm

Henry Armstrong;

Pete Sarron, Featherweight title.
Barney Ross, Welterweight title
Lou Ambers, Lightweight title

3 wins that created history.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:33 am

sort of levels the field a bit at SMW

ward 1. dawson 2. froch 3. kessler
calzaghe 1.eubank, hopkins, kessler
kessler 1.froch 2. boualda 3. andrade

froch i find hard to pick but ill go 1. pascal, dirrell, bute

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:16 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Terry Norris - Leonard...Taylor..Curry.

All past it.

Not sure that Taylor was 'past it' really Alex, more just dreadfully overmatched in what was really a bad piece of matchmaking. No idea what Duva was doing with that one, and no idea what Meldrick was thinking with those horrendous shorts, either!

Chavez definitely blunted Taylor's edge, but he did still look fairly good in taking the Welterweight title from Davis not long after. But Meldrick was a very average-sized Light-Welter, a very small Welter and an absolute midget at Light-Middle, catchweight or no. Putting him in with a strong, genuine eleven stoner like Norris, who had two good fists and who wasn't that much slower than Meldrick (if he was slower at all) was never going to end well. Terry was off his rocker and very erratic at times, but when Taylor fought him he really was going through an outstanding patch of his career.

If anything, the chasing Taylor got from Norris seems to be the one which finished him, rather than the Chavez fight. Julio started the rot, but Terry made it spread quicker than wildfire and I think it's telling that, in his next fight against Espana, Taylor got absolutely ran out of town and looked like an absolute shadow of his former self.

Anyway, if I was picking for Norris I'd definitely go with Brown as his best career win. Trounced in the first fight (Maybe an illegal punch that ended it, mind you) but the difference in the quality of his performance was immense when they fought again. After that, I'd probably go with Mugabi and Castro. The latter one might surprise a few, but it was an extraordinary performance from an offensive point of view for Norris in the first six rounds (no shame in failing to stop Castro, who had one of the most insane chins I've ever seen) and the Argentinian still had his best moments ahead of him, ie his Middleweight title, wins over guys like Jackson and Johnson, becoming the first man to take Roy the distance etc. The names of Curry and Leonard look more impressive from long distance, but they weren't much cop by the time Norris spanked them.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

Brown was a welter who had lost a shutout to Mcgirt who was a blown up light welter.....

Leonard was his best win..the hitherto unbeaten comebacking Leonard.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

You were arguing that Brown is underrated not long ago, Trussy! True, McGirt shut him out, but that doesn't make Brown a patsy and his power put paid to some good fighters at 147 / 154. Surely you've got to admit that Norris coming basically immediately back to outclass the same fella who'd flattened him not long before was impressive?

I just don't think Leonard was much to write home about by 1991, really. Don't forget that Duran defeated Leonard in Montreal by the way, Truss! Wink
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm

whether he was or not................Beating p4p no 1 Hagler....175 man Lalonde and drawing with a soon to beat Hill (no 1 175 man) Hearns........

Is still a better win than beating a blown up welter who had his butt handed to him by 140 pound Mcgirt..........

in my humble opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

Fair enough.

What about Chavez? Clearly, Rosario and Taylor were his two greatest wins but it's a bit tricky deciding who gets the bronze medal. Camacho would probably be most people's pick, but Hector was faded by 1992 and had been on the right end of a couple of lucky verdicts in the year or two previously.

Odd as it seems, I might plump for Lockridge. Rocky was a really good fighter whose career was blighted by a couple of shockingly bad verdicts going against him, none more so than the one against Gomez which prevented Chavez-Lockrige being a 130 lb unification. Probably just that little bit more impressive than his wins over Uncle Roger, Ramirez and Haugen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

I'd go for two-title winning Mayweather.................at 140................

Mayweather looked a different proposition there.........

.Good wins against the Mexican contingent.......The soon to be two title more winning Pazman...and the respected Brazier...........

Good win that...............Lockridge is a good shout though..........Scandalously robbed by Gomez....

Heart breaks to see him now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down