The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight?

+3
oxring
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
7 posters

Go down

How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight? Empty How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:42 pm

So thankfully we will see the Ghost Pavlik back in action soon, long overdue and i hope his troubles are behind him.

So his opponent, i will admit i know nothing of him. But 21-0-0 and 16 ks, fought at heavier weights in the past and recently dropping down to SM, so Pavlik may well feel the power.

Is this a fight Pavlik can lose??

On paper after his lay off does not look easy.

What do you guys think is on the horizon for Kelluy, Personally i think a tune up or two then P williams if he stays at 160. Both need to rebuild, both need a name victory.

Thoughts?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight? Empty Re: How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:48 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Is this a fight Pavlik can lose??

If Lopez can box at all, then yes, as Pavlik is the sort of fighter who's always going to be vulnerable to someone who doesn't trade all the time and can work behind a jab. Three years ago when many were raving about him, I always saw Pavlik as an accident waiting to happen; great puncher, but little else.

That said, he still harbours world title aspirations and big fights with the likes of Froch and Bute by all accounts (saw an interview online from him not long ago) so I doubt his team will be putting him in with anyone too formidable right now. Have to confess I've never seen Lopez fight, mind you, so I can't say for sure, but I'd be stunned if Pavlik's handlers put him in (after twelve months on the sidelines) with anyone who they'd consider truly dangerous.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight? Empty Re: How dangerous is Pavliks comeback fight?

Post by oxring Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:55 pm

Lopez isn't bad! This is a good comeback fight for Pavlik - if he's got it still. If he hasn't - this is a really risky prospect.

Williams-Pavlik is an interesting fight IMO. Both Martinez victims.

If Pavlik comes through that fight - then a third fight decider with Martinez could be on the cards - and after 1 and 2 - who wouldn't pay for fight 3?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:58 pm

Pavlik looked good against Martinez in the middle rounds before the cut turned the fight back round.

It all depends on how seriously he's been training and how much he wants it. I kind of feel sorry for Pavlik, he comes across as quite a likeable guy.

Don't know much about his opponent.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 05 Apr 2011, 4:59 pm

Don't know anything about his opponent but his record seems quite padded. If it is dangerous, perhaps his promoter is saying ‘If you’re serious you should beat this guy, if not, it’s over.’ Sink or swim.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

I spotted Rubin Williams on his resume - who was never all that bad:

He has lost his last 9 BUT - he has been in with good fighters, including Allan Green and Andre Ward and Lacy when he was champ (ie Lacy when he had a left hook, before the rotator cuff tear that took away his only weapon)

So Williams has been in with some decent guys - and Lopez beat him.

So Lopez should have learnt a reasonable amount from his opponents - and in fairness, might ask some questions of Kelly.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 05 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

oxring i saw ruben williams there too and thought the same

altho the rest is obviously fluff but so is john murray record and he thinks he is world class

Pavlik wins this then it should be Williams i think. both Martinez victim but pAv was doing much beter before the cuts than Pwilliams did in the last one.

Williams v PAv is the fight,winner gets a nother go at Martinez. both can claim to deserve it,pav can say cuts cost him. Pwill is already saying trilogy with Martinez, i think we all forget willaims has a W against Martinez

i do wonder what lopez will bring

i also think Kirkland is on this card.wicked

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 05 Apr 2011, 8:19 pm

I think he's perfect for the role of comeback opponent. He has been feasting on poor opposition and I doubt he is going to pose much risk to even a faded or ring rusty Kelly Pavlik.

Dzmitry Lubachkin had an 18 - 0 (17 ko's) record going in against Selchuk Aydin on the weekend and subsequently got exposed, in a round, as a fighter with a terribly padded record. Similar is likely to happen to Alfonso Lopez.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 05 Apr 2011, 8:46 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Pavlik wins this then it should be Williams i think. both Martinez victim but pAv was doing much beter before the cuts than Pwilliams did in the last one.

Williams v PAv is the fight,winner gets a nother go at Martinez. both can claim to deserve it,pav can say cuts cost him. Pwill is already saying trilogy with Martinez, i think we all forget willaims has a W against Martinez

Yes, Williams has an undeserved W against Martinez. Martinez has got a lot bigger and has figured Williams out. The second fight was conclusive.

I can't see Pavlik fighting below 168lbs. The man is huge even by SMW standards, and the thing that cost him against Martinez was the fact he walked into the ring at 179lbs and faded in the last few rounds.

Pavlik would murder Williams.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 05 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

I scored the first Williams vs Martinez fight for Paul Williams. Close fight but he did enough to get the nod. Actually, watched it with russian commentary rather than HBO, so didn't get influenced by the commentary team.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down