The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

+20
geoff998rugby
eirebilly
red_stag
LordDowlais
BoyneRFC
welshy6
rodders
ME-109
TycroesOsprey
wales606
Morgannwg
aucklandlaurie
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
Knowsit17
Notch
Thomond
Portnoy
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

Post by Portnoy Wed 30 May 2012, 4:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

And is it Kidney or the IRFU board which is just bad?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 31 May 2012, 10:13 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
So what you are saying is the reason why Gatland was sacked by the IRFU is because of the way he has the Welsh backrow playing together as a unit. Rolling Eyes Also I agree with the Irish posters on here who say it was probably because EOS was backstabbing him, but I remember on the old boards when some Irish fans were calling for his head because they wanted an Irish coach and they believed that EOS was the brains behind it all. But that is all history now, what we can say though as a matter of fact, that Gatland introduced the likes of O'Driscoll, O'Gara, Stringer and many other into the Irish squad and he is doing the same now with Wales by giving the youngsters a chance, so perhaps he was not as bad for you as Eddie O'Sullivan would have had you all believed. Look, I am not going to get into a peeing match with you lot on this, but I always remember Ireland in the early naughties as being a real team, and I remember the the Lions tour to Australia in 2001, in the first test the two best players were Irish, a young O'Driscoll and his centre partner Henderson, it was Gatland who got these players doing the business, I was even more in favour of O'Gara over Neil Jenkins on that tour, I wonder what paths these players would have gone down if Gatland was not there because back then your provinces were not the power houses they are now. Ale

You literally just accused me of reading one thing and thinking it means something else, and then post that..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 10:14 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:NZ has Nonu/SBW and usually one or two wings who do a lot of heavy carrying. As does their back row. Wales have Roberts, Davies, Phillips, North and Cuthbert. Hence why you don't see Faletau doing what he does for the dragons, and why Lydiate can do his thing. He doesn't have to be a good ball carrier.

Nobody has a backline with the size and pace of the welsh atm. Not saying anything is wrong with that like, just that they take on a lot of the work that the back row forwards would usually do. Remember how at the RWC O'Brien and Ferris literally had to do everything? Carrying, ground work, etc. That is because our back line atm is poor (centres especially).

And the Irish backs have always been good at turning over ball on the floor, so the Irish backrow never learnt

Run
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 31 May 2012, 10:19 pm

O'Driscoll is very good on the floor yes, and people have said before that is one of the reasons Ireland haven't needed a natural 7. A fair point. However, I think a few strong carriers are necessary in the back line, and currently Ireland have none. We have some skilful backs and illusive runners, but no real direct running carriers. Wales have 5 who can do that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 10:27 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:O'Driscoll is very good on the floor yes, and people have said before that is one of the reasons Ireland haven't needed a natural 7. A fair point. However, I think a few strong carriers are necessary in the back line, and currently Ireland have none. We have some skilful backs and illusive runners, but no real direct running carriers. Wales have 5 who can do that.

So Ireland have carriers in the backrow and fetchers in the backs

and Wales have carriers in the backs and fetchers in the backrow.

Makes the whole debate seem a bit silly now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 31 May 2012, 10:32 pm

Nope, we have one good guy on the floor called O'Driscoll. Wales have 5 players to carry. We may not have world class fetchers, but our back row clearly has a lot of work to do still, and Ireland were the top of the turnover count during the 6 nations. Can you remember who was absent from that? Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 31 May 2012, 11:02 pm

Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

The difference is 10 years experience and Shaun Edwards

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Why is Gatland good for Wales and worthy of sacking by Ireland?

The difference is 10 years experience and Shaun Edwards

I think Gatlands dismissal by the IRFU was more political than anything else. He was doing good work with Ireland at the time.

He does though as you say have a lot more experience now. 2 Grandslams 2 Heineken cups.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 01 Jun 2012, 5:03 pm

Gatland has had a knack of being a good coach he has been sucessful all his career and is probably the best coach in the world at the moment.

All the teams he has ever coached have played above themselves and that is all you can really ask any coach to do. big teams he has won trophies at, smaller teams like Connacht he made them competitive. God help us when he decides to coach New Zealand.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3