The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Masters

+17
NedB-H
Redrage
oldshanker
vinyl1
licence_007
Doc
Kay Fabe
sharrison01
LondonJonnyO
HumanWindmill
Grizzly
SmithersJones
McLaren
pedro
Hibbz
Davie
Maverick
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Masters Empty The Masters

Post by Maverick Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 pm

So golfs first official major has landed, it marks a symbolic moment for many golfers around the land, its the time many a fair weather player dusts off their clubs and returns to the course. It also see's the majority now recognising the official start of the proper playing season and many clubs return to proper tees instead of winter mats and the fingers get crossed that the weather holds so they can play a round during the day and watch their favourites of a night, this combined with many juniors during their weekend play pretending to be shooting down the likes of big phil and tiger with a 10footer for the win on the final green before they beg their parents for a late night soiree to watch their idols do what they dream of.

It's possibly the most prestigious of the majors in the way that you still have to officially be invited to compete at Augusta national and take your place amongst it's folklore as its the major with the smallest field of the big four events.

The idea for Augusta National originated with Bobby Jones, who wanted to build a golf course after his retirement from the game. He sought advice from Clifford Roberts, who later became the Chairman of the club. They came across a piece of land in Augusta, Georgia, of which Jones said: "Perfect! And to think this ground has been lying here all these years waiting for someone to come along and lay a golf course upon it." Jones hired Alister MacKenzie to design the course, and work began in 1931. The course formally opened in 1933, but MacKenzie died before the first Masters Tournament was played.

Jones had originally petitioned the USGA to hold the U.S. Open at Augusta but the USGA denied the petition citing the hot Georgia summers would create difficult playing conditions. After the USGA denied the petition Jones and Clifford decided to hold their own event earlier than the US Open so The first "Augusta National Invitation" Tournament, as the Masters was originally known, began on March 22, 1934, and was won by Horton Smith. The present name was adopted in 1939. The first tournament was played with current holes 10 through 18 played as the first nine, and 1 through 9 as the second nine then reversed permanently to its present layout for the 1935 tournament. The name the Masters was penned for the 1939 event and it has remained this ever since.

It has many traditions unique to the event that can only be upheld due to it being at the same venue each year for example the Champions Locker room that each winner gets to use for the rest of their career and return trips to the venue (what many don't know though is that they do not get their own individual lockers as it's only a small room they have to share, it's 1 locker to each 2 champions) The Champions dinner held on the Tuesday night before the event begins held in the club library and the menu picked by the last champion was brought in at the suggestion of Ben Hogan in 1959. The Crows nest that offers free onsite accomodation in the clubhouse used by many a famous amateur and former champions such as Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, the last 2 well known europeans to stay there are italians Ed Molinari and Matteo Mannassero.

It has thrown up some great memories and marvellous victories for some, but crushing defeats for others, Nicklaus 6x a champion and the oldest champion at 46. Woods with his record breaking 1st major title in 1997. Faldos hunting down of Greg Norman in 1996 and Norman suffering defeat to a Mize chip in at 11. No European had managed victory at Augusta prior to Seve's 1st win their in 1980 but they went on to dominate in the 80's and 90's with Seve taking a further victory, Langers 2 wins, Faldos 3 titles, Olazabal taking 2 and one after long layoff and Woosie and Lyle 1 title a piece to complete the Euro domination that has now slid back to an American dominance. Yet surprisingly considering how long the tournament has been running only 5 victories have gone to a left handed player and 3 of those are Micklesons alone.

It has wide vast fairways and some extreme undulations, and then theirs The second shot at the 11th, all of the 12th, and the tee shot at the 13th hole at Augusta which are nicknamed "Amen Corner." This term was first used in print by author Herbert Warren Wind in his April 21, 1958 Sports Illustrated article about the Masters that year.

Theres so much that i could go on and on but you will probably be fast asleep by the time you read it all, but needless to say the Masters is a very special event and one that lives long in the hearts and minds of many when they remember wonderous moments like Sarazens Double Eagle on the 13th, Jacks win at 46years old, Sandy Lyles 7iron out of the fairway bunker at 18 and not forgetting Big Phils marvellous long iron through the trees out of the pine needles to the 13th green. Moments we will always remember and say where were you when that happened all defining moments of careers and lives.

Lets have a quick look at this years runners and riders, i've picked just a couple 1 obvious favourite and a couple of outsiders and then maybe to finish a brief Master trivia qiuz for the craic.

Players: Mickelson back into winning ways at the Shell Houston Open and carrying 2 drivers in his bag for the Masters. You can never count out Big Phil in an event like this

Goosen: Hits a soft high draw ideal for Augusta, great iron player and knows how to win big and has pedigree at this event but can he get the putter working

Donald: Improved his accuracy but thats not an issue with the targets being almost unmissable off the Augusta tees, his iron play and short game not to mention his touch on the greens could see Luke right in contention this week on those greens i wouldn't bet against him

Stricker: Very straight of the tee and can almost place his drives at will at times, one of if no the best wedge player on the PGA tour and again a great putter, can he do a Zach Johnson and win solely with a wedge and a putter, if the bad weather continues this week as its begun out their don't bet against this guy or Donald going close.

Finally the Masters quick fire 10 trivia questions.

1. Who Was the last club pro to win the Masters and who is his famous son
2. What Year did the club begin to award the green Jacket to the winner
3. Whats unique about the torphy awarded to the winner unlike any other major (and its not its shape)
4. Who designed the original layout at Jones request
5. Who was the 1st international winner and what year was it
6.Other than big phil who are the only left handed winners of the event
7.What was Greg Norman the first man to do having completed his 1st round at the 1996 Masters
8.Which former champions birthday falls on Masters saturday this year
9.Who is the bridge on the 12th Named after
10. What do Angel Cabrera and Trevor Immelman have in common following their masters victories.

Guys enjoy the tournament and lets see what pans out.

(Mods a sticky if you please)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

The Masters Empty Re: The Masters

Post by Davie Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Great article Mav - I was waiting for you to start the ball rolling - no need to ask for stickies every week. I'll always put something like this up as a stickie

No idea on the trivia questions though apart from 5 - was it Gary Player?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Cheers Davie, well I'll make sure I get something written up for before each event each week by tuesday night of each week, No 5 it was but what was the year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 pm

'61? (without the aid of a google safety net)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 pm

1 Is Something Harmon and his son Butch. I know as a pal of mine was telling me as we played the second today!

Oh and he beat Ben Hogan into second I think he said.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Claude harmon and his son butch indeed, and the Hogan quote is right, it was put to hogan by the media "were you surprised this club pro from seminole managed to beat you over the course of this tournament" and apparently hogans response was "not at all he's been beating over at seminole every week for years"

Proud moment for Butch and no doubt we'll hear plenty of it in the coming days

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Early controversy already, according to twitter land Gmac has decided not to play the Par3 event so that he can make sure he's able to watch Man Utd v's chelsea if that's true I find it highly disrespectful to the tournament, the fans and his fellow competitors and hope he misses the cut! He's privileged to be able to play such an event and should recognise that

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Hasn't Tiger regularly sat out the par-3 contest in recent years? I seem to remember reading that in the past

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 pm

10. They slipped out of top 50 within a year.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Davie he has indeed sat it out but I seem to recall reasons given were due to his knee not some footy match.

Pedro close but no cigar!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm

10. I guess they still qualified for next years tournament and retained their card, otherwise that would have been my guess.
So did they slip out of top 100 within 2 years then?

3. It gets custom fitted and they get to keep it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 pm

6. Weir and bobby Charles

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 am

Most are total guesses but here goes.

1. Butche's dad. So Mr Harmon I guess

2. 1949

3. It is not the main prize, the green jacket is???

4. Dr Alistair MacKenzie

5. As mentioned above my guess would be player

7. Round without a bogey?

8. Another guess, Arnold Palmer.

9.Ben Hogan

10. Neither has won an event since winning the masters. Phil was in this group until Sunday past.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 am

Maverick wrote:
Claude Harmon, father of Butch (and a couple of other top teaching pros, I believe)
Pass
3. Whats unique about the torphy awarded to the winner unlike any other major (and its not its shape)
It has the runners up name as well as the winner
Dr Alastair Mackenzie
Bob Charles, late 50s early 60s
Mike Weir, Bob Charles
7.What was Greg Norman the first man to do having completed his 1st round at the 1996 Masters
Shoot 63
Seve
Hogan
10. What do Angel Cabrera and Trevor Immelman have in common following their masters victories.
Winless since

Mostly guesses. I guessed Hogan for 9 because of the story about him making a two, and his playing partner aceing the hole, and his only comment as they walked off was 'I've never birdied that hole before.' He didn't even notice the hole in one!

SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 am

Some good answers coming in so far, some right, some wrong and some are fairly close but not quite on the money good to see that were getting into the spirit of the masters, I'll announce the full list of correct answers tonight at 7pm just as Sky sports go live with the Par3 event so we can then concentrate on the golf

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 am

Should be GREAT to see the par 3 tonight even though it is only a fun event and not all of them take it seriously. Really looking forward to the next FIVE evenings :-D

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Who the hell is watching the par three instead of the Man utd match? You would have to be mad.

Is it still the case that the par three winner is yet to win the masters in the same year?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I might skip between the par 3 and the ManUre game just in the hope of seeing Shrek get sent off

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Seems Ian Poulter is getting a bit of a lambasting in the press (and on the old 606) for his press conference comments about Tiger - saying he wouldn't finish in the Top 5

Can't see what he's done wrong myself - he was asked the direct question and answered it as he saw fit. It wasn't as if he offered this opinion unsolicited.

On his own twitter feed he said "Note to self when asked about Tiger always bullsh*t and say what they want to hear or you will be ridiculed"

He may have said some pretty outrageous things in the past but this time I think the press (and some golf fans) are treating him rather unfairly

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I think Poulter is much better prepared this year and has a chance of winning, no better way of answering those who are criticising his honesty than wearing the jacket....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Davie wrote:Seems Ian Poulter is getting a bit of a lambasting in the press (and on the old 606) for his press conference comments about Tiger - saying he wouldn't finish in the Top 5

Can't see what he's done wrong myself - he was asked the direct question and answered it as he saw fit. It wasn't as if he offered this opinion unsolicited.

On his own twitter feed he said "Note to self when asked about Tiger always bullsh*t and say what they want to hear or you will be ridiculed"

He may have said some pretty outrageous things in the past but this time I think the press (and some golf fans) are treating him rather unfairly

Agree Davie, but as I said on 606 he ought to have sussed that out a long time ago.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 pm

I certainly will be watching the Par 3 event instead of the Utd game, not a fan of either side so no reason to watch it. Looking forward to seeing bits of Augusta we haven't had the chance to look at before.

Mac I believe that certainly is the case no Par3 winner has ever gone on to win the main event and I'm sure that still stands no doubt Sky will tell us tonight

As for Poulter he answered honestly and is being made to look a prat because of it but he should have learned that lesson a long time ago that anything over than positive about the media's golden balls Tiger would have caused this backlash. I think its great he said what he felt but the Love in Woods gets everywhere else is putrid yes he is an icon of the game but he is a man like any other and should be open to both positive and negative criticisms

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:36 pm

2) 1937

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm with Maverick, will only switch over to the CL game if there's a chance of seeing Cashley Cole, Pikey Terry or the thug Rooney get seriously hurt, otherwise it'll be par 3 all the way

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Grizzly wrote:I'm with Maverick, will only switch over to the CL game if there's a chance of seeing Cashley Cole, Pikey Terry or the thug Rooney get seriously hurt, otherwise it'll be par 3 all the way

Just because boxing is not a real sport do you have to wish for real physical contact that causes harm in other sports?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:05 pm

I love virtually all sports, including football and boxing but I have no interest at all in Utd or chelsea not a fan of either side so I feel no draw to watch the game just like last nights Spurs v Real game not a supporter of the teams so no interest in the game. Much like boxing don't watch fights I have no interest in and there's less and less of those these days as not many worth watching unless Pacquio or Mayweather are in the ring.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Par3 event as its lighthearted and fun will be good to see the lighter side of major championships and see how the pro's enjoy time with the family on the course

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Mav

Check this out, it was just too much to resist.

https://www.606v2.com/t3036-is-boxing-a-real-sport
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Just like to say, the history of the Masters and some of the other stuff in the original post was fascinating.

It is a pity that Ian Poulter is getting stick for his comments on Tiger Woods. I used to follow his twitter (as well as Lee Westwood's and a few others) and I find him a great character, who at least doesn't deal in comments designed to appease media types. I have also been a bit of a fan of his after he guaranteed winning a point at the Ryder Cup last year (which he delivered)

You can see why he thinks Tiger won't finish top 5 too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Mav

It didn't last long!

Did i get question 2 right?

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 pm

King Beer wrote:

It didn't last long!

No.

Come on it was just a bit of fun and the sort of thing levelled at all golfers whenever you mention you play the sport. Is there any section of the site you would allow it to be reposted?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm

McLaren wrote:
King Beer wrote:

It didn't last long!

No.

Come on it was just a bit of fun and the sort of thing levelled at all golfers whenever you mention you play the sport. Is there any section of the site you would allow it to be reposted?

I could suggest a suitable location for you to place it.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:24 pm

McLaren wrote:
King Beer wrote:

It didn't last long!

No.

Us wrestling bods might have a giggle at it.

Is it 1934?

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
McLaren wrote:
King Beer wrote:

It didn't last long!

No.

I take it you are a fan of the old humorously large gloved pantomime act then?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

kingbeer

No it was not 1934. The one thing I am not sure of is when the members of ANGC started wearing green jackets.

But really what is the difference between wrestling and boxing other than you can only punch in boxing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

McLaren wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
McLaren wrote:
King Beer wrote:

It didn't last long!

No.

I take it you are a fan of the old humorously large gloved pantomime act then?

Well, I did endeavour to develop a taste for F1, but found myself dizzy after watching the cars complete 360 degrees for the twenty seventh time.

I've little doubt that dizziness comes naturally to you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

lol behave Mac!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

McLaren wrote:kingbeer

No it was not 1934. The one thing I am not sure of is when the members of ANGC started wearing green jackets.

But really what is the difference between wrestling and boxing other than you can only punch in boxing?

Leotards and socks down your underwear I would think.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

McLaren wrote:kingbeer

Boxing isn't scripted and isn't worth as much.

The answer was on Sky Sports News i'm sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Boxing is a great sport that is just having a bad time at the moment with lack of characters and too much meddling from committees. Wrestling is not a sport but is an entertaining show although not one that should be watched by grown men.

As for F1, it's better than Nascar, speedway, drag racing and any of the other motor sports which is about as much as you can say about it...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Sorry I thought boxing was scripted. When did they stop writing scrips for boxing.

Imagine if they wrote the script for golf, not sure what you would include for this years masters. I would go for tiger comeback on day four like faldo's 1996 win. I would love to see him reel in one of the new guys like Kaymer or rory and really humiliate them on the way.

LJ
Glad to see another boxing hater on the loose.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm

with so many regulatory bodies boxing is a joke. And as long as Don King is involved and organised crime has a hand in things it will remain a pointless exercise.

Besides. If you're going to let people knock the Poopie out of each other I say that horseshoes and nails in the gloves will make it more interesting for the crowds.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:with so many regulatory bodies boxing is a joke. And as long as Don King is involved and organised crime has a hand in things it will remain a pointless exercise.

Besides. If you're going to let people knock the Poopie out of each other I say that horseshoes and nails in the gloves will make it more interesting for the crowds.

Do it hot shots style.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Scripted golf ... hmmmmmm

A Kevin Costner-esque finish to the Masters perhaps? Someone doing a Tin Cup? (I could just see Dustbin Johnston filling that role)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 pm

King Beer wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:with so many regulatory bodies boxing is a joke. And as long as Don King is involved and organised crime has a hand in things it will remain a pointless exercise.

Do it hot shots style.

Gummi bears and chocolate sprinkles wasn't it?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
King Beer wrote:

Do it hot shots style.

Gummi bears and chocolate sprinkles wasn't it?

Indeed it was, glued together with honey i believe.

Davie, Tin Cup is brilliant, i can just see Tiger blowing up on the 18th, shooting a 12 before having his way with 3 fans under the main stand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Some good music in Tin Cup too ... Amanda Marshal and "This could take all night" .. top stuff!

Maybe Blubba Watson would be a better choice than Dustbin for the Costner role

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm

I was surprised that Cheech Marin wasn't stoned at any point.

Dunno if Blubba has that arrogant streak.

Daly if he lost a bit of weight? Although he could hit and would probably of landed it on the first tee!

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 pm

The best lines in that movie will always remain

Romeo Posar wrote:

You can't ask advice about the woman you're trying to hose from the woman you're trying to hose.

You're in the spa.

Look, boss, I only got one rule. And that's never bet money that you don't have on a dog race with an ex-girlfriend who happens to be a stripper.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Answers to the masters trivia

1948 Claude Harmon - Son Butch

1949 sam Snead was the first recipient

3. Whats unique about the trophy awarded to the winner unlike any other major (and its not its shape)

It has the runners up names on it

Alister MacKenzie

Gary Player 1961

Bobby Locke and Mike Wier

1st man to have 5 consecutive competitive rounds under 70

Seve

Ben Hogan

10. What do Angel Cabrera and Trevor Immelman have in common following their masters victories

Have no had a victory since their win

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm

cant wait for the masters to start tonight, with the par 3 contest kicking things off, before the main event starts tomorrow!

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next