The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Masters

+17
NedB-H
Redrage
oldshanker
vinyl1
licence_007
Doc
Kay Fabe
sharrison01
LondonJonnyO
HumanWindmill
Grizzly
SmithersJones
McLaren
pedro
Hibbz
Davie
Maverick
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Masters - Page 3 Empty The Masters

Post by Maverick Tue 05 Apr 2011, 7:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

So golfs first official major has landed, it marks a symbolic moment for many golfers around the land, its the time many a fair weather player dusts off their clubs and returns to the course. It also see's the majority now recognising the official start of the proper playing season and many clubs return to proper tees instead of winter mats and the fingers get crossed that the weather holds so they can play a round during the day and watch their favourites of a night, this combined with many juniors during their weekend play pretending to be shooting down the likes of big phil and tiger with a 10footer for the win on the final green before they beg their parents for a late night soiree to watch their idols do what they dream of.

It's possibly the most prestigious of the majors in the way that you still have to officially be invited to compete at Augusta national and take your place amongst it's folklore as its the major with the smallest field of the big four events.

The idea for Augusta National originated with Bobby Jones, who wanted to build a golf course after his retirement from the game. He sought advice from Clifford Roberts, who later became the Chairman of the club. They came across a piece of land in Augusta, Georgia, of which Jones said: "Perfect! And to think this ground has been lying here all these years waiting for someone to come along and lay a golf course upon it." Jones hired Alister MacKenzie to design the course, and work began in 1931. The course formally opened in 1933, but MacKenzie died before the first Masters Tournament was played.

Jones had originally petitioned the USGA to hold the U.S. Open at Augusta but the USGA denied the petition citing the hot Georgia summers would create difficult playing conditions. After the USGA denied the petition Jones and Clifford decided to hold their own event earlier than the US Open so The first "Augusta National Invitation" Tournament, as the Masters was originally known, began on March 22, 1934, and was won by Horton Smith. The present name was adopted in 1939. The first tournament was played with current holes 10 through 18 played as the first nine, and 1 through 9 as the second nine then reversed permanently to its present layout for the 1935 tournament. The name the Masters was penned for the 1939 event and it has remained this ever since.

It has many traditions unique to the event that can only be upheld due to it being at the same venue each year for example the Champions Locker room that each winner gets to use for the rest of their career and return trips to the venue (what many don't know though is that they do not get their own individual lockers as it's only a small room they have to share, it's 1 locker to each 2 champions) The Champions dinner held on the Tuesday night before the event begins held in the club library and the menu picked by the last champion was brought in at the suggestion of Ben Hogan in 1959. The Crows nest that offers free onsite accomodation in the clubhouse used by many a famous amateur and former champions such as Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, the last 2 well known europeans to stay there are italians Ed Molinari and Matteo Mannassero.

It has thrown up some great memories and marvellous victories for some, but crushing defeats for others, Nicklaus 6x a champion and the oldest champion at 46. Woods with his record breaking 1st major title in 1997. Faldos hunting down of Greg Norman in 1996 and Norman suffering defeat to a Mize chip in at 11. No European had managed victory at Augusta prior to Seve's 1st win their in 1980 but they went on to dominate in the 80's and 90's with Seve taking a further victory, Langers 2 wins, Faldos 3 titles, Olazabal taking 2 and one after long layoff and Woosie and Lyle 1 title a piece to complete the Euro domination that has now slid back to an American dominance. Yet surprisingly considering how long the tournament has been running only 5 victories have gone to a left handed player and 3 of those are Micklesons alone.

It has wide vast fairways and some extreme undulations, and then theirs The second shot at the 11th, all of the 12th, and the tee shot at the 13th hole at Augusta which are nicknamed "Amen Corner." This term was first used in print by author Herbert Warren Wind in his April 21, 1958 Sports Illustrated article about the Masters that year.

Theres so much that i could go on and on but you will probably be fast asleep by the time you read it all, but needless to say the Masters is a very special event and one that lives long in the hearts and minds of many when they remember wonderous moments like Sarazens Double Eagle on the 13th, Jacks win at 46years old, Sandy Lyles 7iron out of the fairway bunker at 18 and not forgetting Big Phils marvellous long iron through the trees out of the pine needles to the 13th green. Moments we will always remember and say where were you when that happened all defining moments of careers and lives.

Lets have a quick look at this years runners and riders, i've picked just a couple 1 obvious favourite and a couple of outsiders and then maybe to finish a brief Master trivia qiuz for the craic.

Players: Mickelson back into winning ways at the Shell Houston Open and carrying 2 drivers in his bag for the Masters. You can never count out Big Phil in an event like this

Goosen: Hits a soft high draw ideal for Augusta, great iron player and knows how to win big and has pedigree at this event but can he get the putter working

Donald: Improved his accuracy but thats not an issue with the targets being almost unmissable off the Augusta tees, his iron play and short game not to mention his touch on the greens could see Luke right in contention this week on those greens i wouldn't bet against him

Stricker: Very straight of the tee and can almost place his drives at will at times, one of if no the best wedge player on the PGA tour and again a great putter, can he do a Zach Johnson and win solely with a wedge and a putter, if the bad weather continues this week as its begun out their don't bet against this guy or Donald going close.

Finally the Masters quick fire 10 trivia questions.

1. Who Was the last club pro to win the Masters and who is his famous son
2. What Year did the club begin to award the green Jacket to the winner
3. Whats unique about the torphy awarded to the winner unlike any other major (and its not its shape)
4. Who designed the original layout at Jones request
5. Who was the 1st international winner and what year was it
6.Other than big phil who are the only left handed winners of the event
7.What was Greg Norman the first man to do having completed his 1st round at the 1996 Masters
8.Which former champions birthday falls on Masters saturday this year
9.Who is the bridge on the 12th Named after
10. What do Angel Cabrera and Trevor Immelman have in common following their masters victories.

Guys enjoy the tournament and lets see what pans out.

(Mods a sticky if you please)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

The Masters - Page 3 Empty Re: The Masters

Post by vinyl1 Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

It has turned into a wild melee! Any one of 8 or 9 players can win with 8 holes left for the leaders.

vinyl1

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm

Turning into a great final day of the tourney. MciLroys done his best to throw it away but still has a chance the 3 Aussies all incontention are a good bet right now and Cabrera is doing what's needed when its required Can he do it.

What a finish though could be looking at a playoff this year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:37 pm

Well - I can't watch anymore. Meltdown is the word and now he's driven into the water.

Someone has said on this or the original board (think it was diggers) that Rory's short putting when under pressure was very suspect. That has certainly proven to be the case. The lad is putting worse than me and that really is saying something. Erm
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

I've said it so many times Rory cannot put 4 rounds together. I even said on here this morning I hope he finally proves me wrong but alas the kids done it again. Too nonchalant with his game it catches up with him every time during one of his tournament rounds. The comparisons this kid has had with Tiger are proving false again he simply doesn't have the drive or brain of Tiger who at 21 was far more driven and aware of when to go at it and not. I'm not even what you'd say is a Tiger fan but I can see it maybe its time Rory forgot about his new Bugatti and toys he keeps buying and focus's on what it is to win.

I think its an Aussie year, I picked Scott pre tourney and I put my money where my mout is at 50-1 could be a tenner well spent that and the 10 quid each I had on Day and Woods both finishing top 5 could be a good week in the Mav house

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

Chatbox still open for the climax of this.

For anyone who isn't watching, Rory is not dead, he's just had a bit of a mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm

Looks all over after that shot by Scott at 16.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

Far from over this event, Schwartzel birdies 17 for the leadn and Day is close at 18 to get to -12 this is probably the most exciting major for years

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:08 am

In the ad break thought I'd google schwartzel for future articles on here and Wikipedia already showing him as masters 2011 champion within 10 minutes of the win.

Another win for the European tour in a major that's 4 out of the last 5. And he did it 50years after fellow south african legend Gary Player became the first international winner of the event.

He played fantastic great last round but his first 3 rounds were extremely solid, let's hope rory can learn from his experience and then start questioning why a) he cannot put 4 rounds together and b) why his putting when there's a touch of pressure on is at best very amateurish. He'll need a good support network and is now in the company of DJ and Watney in that in the last year they all held the lead going into final round of a major and shot 80 or worse

But what a finish

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:20 am

Rory is NOT the new Tiger. Unfortunately he's the old McIlroy. I'm saddened. With that being said, I'd like to draw attention to my earlier posts where I predicted Schwartzel as the new champ.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:31 am

Maverick wrote:
Another win for the European tour in a major that's 4 out of the last 5. And he did it 50years after fellow south african legend Gary Player became the first international winner of the event.
Also only the second time ever that all four have been simultaneously held by non-Americans - the other being after the '94 PGA, when it was Olazabal (Masters), Els (US Open), Price (Open and PGA).

Interesting that after the procession at St Andrews last summer, we've gone on to have two of the most wide-open final nines I can remember in recent majors.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:06 am

One of the best final days to a major I've witnessed. No less than 7 different people with a tie for lead at various stages.

Ogilvy with a back 9 birdie blitz! Adam Scott showing he does have the class and game for big occasion now he has a working putter and Jason Day with the lowest ever 72hole score for a masters debutant. And that's just the Aussies!

Mcilroys capitulation from 10 onwards was car crash TV and glad they stopped showing the final group.

Charl schwartzel was a very deserved champion, he played the first 3 rounds completely solidly and did what champions do, enough to be in a position to attack at the death and he made his chance count with 4 straight birdies and its no surprise he was 2nd overall on the weeks putting stats and top 10 on all other stats. The only person with a better putter this week was Donald!

Well done Charl a great performance

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:40 am

Maverick wrote:One of the best final days to a major I've witnessed. No less than 7 different people with a tie for lead at various stages.

Ogilvy with a back 9 birdie blitz! Adam Scott showing he does have the class and game for big occasion now he has a working putter and Jason Day with the lowest ever 72hole score for a masters debutant. And that's just the Aussies!

Mcilroys capitulation from 10 onwards was car crash TV and glad they stopped showing the final group.

Charl schwartzel was a very deserved champion, he played the first 3 rounds completely solidly and did what champions do, enough to be in a position to attack at the death and he made his chance count with 4 straight birdies and its no surprise he was 2nd overall on the weeks putting stats and top 10 on all other stats. The only person with a better putter this week was Donald!

Well done Charl a great performance

100% agreement Mav, and like you I was pleased when they stopped showing us the massive bloodbath that was Rory's slide. Mrs Doc was almost in tears watching him collapse, and it was gut wrenching stuff because you could see his face on the 1st green, and knew he was fighting a war with himself. I just wish he had done what he said he was going to do, which was be patient and just play par golf and grab birdies when they were on. I feel gutted for the kid, but many on here expected a 75 being thrown in because thats the norm with Rory, but this was much worse. I hope someone sorts his head out because that catastrophy could ruin him completley now. Even though he'll be back next year, we are going to see non-stop footage of this collapse, and so will he.

Tiger was on fire and looked like he was back and if he hadn't have bogeyed early on and missed those couple of tap-ins he would have won. The putter killed him so Tiger is not back at all yet, but strong off the tee and his irons were great too. I felt like a rubber necker slowing down on the mmotorway to have a look at the accident.

Well done Sky good coverage thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:51 am

To be honest, the signs were there for Rory on the Saturday. To take 32 putts and walk out on the final day with a four shot lead was a miracle but you just felt that once he slipped it was a downward spiral.

I don't think the media helped, he was talked up to the hilt with so much pressure, as his manager said, he's still just a 21 year old kid, he doesn't have the mental strength of Tiger to pull himself up when he hits a bogey. Look a Donald, no pressure, nobody talked his chances up and then he he just appeared at -9 with a shot.

Great final day though and well done to Schwartzel, a great performance and well deserved...... now, can anyone give me the odds on him not winning another tourney this year?

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:05 am

Great Tournament.

Shame about McIlroy; he really does need to improve his short game but I'd kill for his swing (most of the time!).

Glad Schwartzel won in the end; what a way to close it out.

Never been a big fan of wannabe surfer Scott but wouldn't have minded after he drained those pressure putts on 15 and 17. Jason Day has a big future too by the look of it.

Much as I hate to admit it, was quite good watching Woods hitting some very solid golf shots and holing some putts. Could have been a miracle but shows he's got some way to go. When he's playing within himself and not trying to hit the skin off the ball his swing looks very solid. Still think "Foley is ruining his swing"? One downer on Woods though - could he not just be a little more civil when interviewed after his round? Took the gloss off for me. Prat.

Talking of prats, Ian Poulter and Martin Laird, take your stupid sunglasses off when you're giving an interview please.
Kind of expected it from Poulter 🤦 but more surprised about Laird.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:46 am

One downer on Woods though - could he not just be a little more civil when interviewed after his round? Took the gloss off for me. Prat.

Talking of prats, Ian Poulter and Martin Laird, take your stupid sunglasses off when you're giving an interview please.
Kind of expected it from Poulter :facepalm: but more surprised about Laird.

Navy

You continually prove to be a very tedious and bitter poster. You typify a very negative personality in golf clubs where being dour and closed minded is a plus.

Tiger just finished a great round and the presenter asked him some utterly inane questions, Tiger gave the response deserving such stupidity. As for your your comments on Laird and Poulter I really fail to see your point. Comments like those you made above just show you to be unnecessarily negative and bitter. I wonder what it is that makes you such a hater of people just doing what the love?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:50 am

It was good to see Woods back in the hunt if only for the other guys to show they can stand up to him down the stretch. Think his has good balance and control now but as mentioned when he goes after one too much we see the lash he cannot control. I think I was one of very few who said Foley wasn't ruining his swing but there will still be doubters, and not even a big fan of Woods nor a real fan of Rorys but no-one wants to see any player suffer that.

I'm happy with the top 3 Schwartzel always been a good player showed that in last years WGC at Doral he could compete big and he has a good all around game, great to see Scotts swing near the top and Jason Day I agree has a huge future ahead of him. Same with Ogilvy he just knows how to do it on the big stage think he has another major in him.

Just checked the OGWR as of this morning Lukes 3rd, Tigers moved upto to 5th, Schwartzel upto 11th making him the highest ranked player from SA above Ernie. Gmac down to 6th and his season despite 2 good early events seems to be on the slide have always wondered if his long game was good enough to stay at the top for a prolonged period. There's no doubting he's a good player and on his day he can beat anyone but last year was a meteoric rise to the upper echelons on the OGWR, after all he only made it to the Us Open because he won the previous week to bump him to 49th on World list and he rode the crest of that wave last year and did it well, so this year was always going to be about consolidating and staying up there showing the world it wasn't just a good season, so hopefully he can take some time out collect himself and get back up the leader boards, but my prediction is a winless year and just about inside the top 20 come december.

Let's hope Rorys game doesn't slide next few months it will be tought to pick himself up from this but he's young enough to do it but I fully expect to see Luke top the OGWR at sometime this year and with his game where its at now maybe a US Open title?

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

Maverick wrote:There's no doubting he's a good player and on his day he can beat anyone but last year was a meteoric rise to the upper echelons on the OGWR, after all he only made it to the Us Open because he won the previous week to bump him to 49th on World list and he rode the crest of that wave last year and did it well, so this year was always going to be about consolidating and staying up there showing the world it wasn't just a good season, so hopefully he can take some time out collect himself and get back up the leader boards, but my prediction is a winless year and just about inside the top 20 come december.

Did you type all that without taking a breath? laughing

Seriously though - all good points

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:01 am

Also have to say I agree with Mac re; the post round interviews, what answers could Woods have given to the questions posed! He just finished an superb round to be in contention. He was asked questions to which their could only be the answer well we have to wait and see after all he nor we can say what is going to happen down the stretch so he just said he will do what the rest of us do wait and see! Then to ask him is he going to eat? What sort of question is that!

Ogilvy answered similar questions in the same way no-ones vilifying him for that though are they! And as for Laird and Poulter why is it disrespectful to leave their glasses on, you could say the same for every pro interviewed wearing a hat!!!! Who cares!

Now where's my oxygen mask I'm out of breath

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:10 am

Maverick wrote: Then to ask him is he going to eat? What sort of question is that!

It was a subliminal message, they actually wanted to know if he was going to devour a couple of virgins before a potential play off....

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

McLaren wrote:
One downer on Woods though - could he not just be a little more civil when interviewed after his round? Took the gloss off for me. Prat.

Kind of expected it from Poulter 🤦 but more surprised about Laird.

Navy

You continually prove to be a very tedious and bitter poster. You typify a very negative personality in golf clubs where being dour and closed minded is a plus.

Tiger just finished a great round and the presenter asked him some utterly inane questions, Tiger gave the response deserving such stupidity. As for your your comments on Laird and Poulter I really fail to see your point. Comments like those you made above just show you to be unnecessarily negative and bitter. I wonder what it is that makes you such a hater of people just doing what the love?

Mac

I would swear at you but feel I need a little decorum.

Dour and close minded? Well, you should know (better than outright pomposity I would argue). However, I just like to think of it as someone who was brought up thinking some sort of manners are a good thing. Feel free to disagree if you like.

We know you climax every time TW is mentioned so I forgive you. However, his attitude was atrocious. Yes, he's just finished a round he thinks maybe should have been a couple better (misses at 15/16) but he knows the drill. He was not asked an inane question; as I recall he was asked what he was going to do while the leaders came in i.e. practice, eat, whatever. He's never going to 'get' it is he?

As for Poulter/Laird, it's simply rude to do what they did but I'm not remotely surprised by Poulter. You obviously don't understand that though eh?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

Maverick wrote:Also have to say I agree with Mac re; the post round interviews, what answers could Woods have given to the questions posed! He just finished an superb round to be in contention. He was asked questions to which their could only be the answer well we have to wait and see after all he nor we can say what is going to happen down the stretch so he just said he will do what the rest of us do wait and see! Then to ask him is he going to eat? What sort of question is that!

Ogilvy answered similar questions in the same way no-ones vilifying him for that though are they! And as for Laird and Poulter why is it disrespectful to leave their glasses on, you could say the same for every pro interviewed wearing a hat!!!! Who cares!

Now where's my oxygen mask I'm out of breath

Mav

It's obvious why it's dumb to leave sunglasses on while being interviewed. It's called body language. I could go on about removing hats as well but that's a bit old fashioned even for me.

As for TW vs. Ogilvy, I didn't see Ogilvy but it's hard to imagine he was a rude as TW. Woods makes no effort to be polite. Not one iota. If that's what he wants to do, so be it but he's a tool.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:57 am

Personally I don't see the big fuss - I only saw half of the Tiger interview but he was asked some pretty dumb questions and obviously wanted to get back to either the clubhouse or the range just on the remote chance that he could squeak into a playoff. His afternoon wasn't necessarily over at that point.

Neither do I see the big deal with Poulter or Laird giving an interview in sun glasses. As someone else said, is it any worse than giving an interview with a hat on? There could be good sponsorship reasons for both

BTW I haven't really heard anyone mention Luke's 18th hole. After being left with a diabolical stance close to a fairway bunker for his second shot, he proceeds to play a stunning shot over a greenside bunker and actually hit the flagstick and ricochet off the green! He must've thought he luck was really out and then goes and holes the chip! Amazing drama

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

Davie wrote:Personally I don't see the big fuss - I only saw half of the Tiger interview but he was asked some pretty dumb questions and obviously wanted to get back to either the clubhouse or the range just on the remote chance that he could squeak into a playoff. His afternoon wasn't necessarily over at that point.

Neither do I see the big deal with Poulter or Laird giving an interview in sun glasses. As someone else said, is it any worse than giving an interview with a hat on? There could be good sponsorship reasons for both

You say tomato, I say tomato (somehow, that doesn't work in print....).

I notice no-one was wearing anything on their heads in the Butler Cabin. At least they got that right. I wonder why?

Davie wrote:BTW I haven't really heard anyone mention Luke's 18th hole. After being left with a diabolical stance close to a fairway bunker for his second shot, he proceeds to play a stunning shot over a greenside bunker and actually hit the flagstick and ricochet off the green! He must've thought he luck was really out and then goes and holes the chip! Amazing drama

Indeed. Great finish for Luke. Couldn't believe his misfortune (stance and hitting flag to ricochet off green) but then hits a chip that's only going one place. Awesome. If he can keep his game where it is, could well contend for the US Open.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:You say tomato, I say tomato (somehow, that doesn't work in print....).
laughing

navyblueshorts wrote:I notice no-one was wearing anything on their heads in the Butler Cabin. At least they got that right. I wonder why?

Well it's generally considered extremely rude to wear a hat indoors (The Butler Cabin is presumably considered similar to being part of the clubhouse) - have you ever known a club that permitted headgear in the clubhouse? Also it is indoors (and often looks quite gloomy) - why would anyone want to wear sunglasses there? Apples and oranges when comparing with outdoor interviews on what looked a very bright and hot day

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Navy I will continue to be pompous all day if it keeps plebs like you in check.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm

Stop it you two! boxing

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:21 pm

Things I learnt at this year's Masters:

1. Golf is now a genuinely global game. The winner could've come from any of 6 or 7 countries, and there's at least another half dozen countries easily capable of producing Major contenders. There might be more pro golfers from America than anywhere else, but when it comes to the elite, there isn't a dominant country any more.

2. A third-round lead at a Major is tough. That's three of the last four majors where the guy with a handy lead (3 shots, 3 shots and 4 shots) hasn't broken 80. In fact, Oosthuizen is the only outright third round leader to win a Major since Woods at the '08 US Open (Cabrera shared the lead at Augusta '09). And even Woods isn't immune, he held a two-shot lead going into Sunday at the '09 PGA and couldn't hold on. Which leads us on to...

3. Woods is a mortal now. He was a golfing God; at the moment he's a golfer capable of hot streaks and horrible streaks. That's still a formidable place to be, but it's not world-beating or unique - McIlroy and Kim, to name but two, are similarly streaky players.

4. Luke Donald would be the best player in the world right now, if he could cut out the 1-2 inexplicable errors per round. The 12th on Sunday and the 13th on Saturday were ridiculous in the context of how solidly he was playing, and if he'd made par on the Sunday and birdie on the Saturday, instead of double bogey and bogey, we'd be looking at a playoff. Instead he was never really quite in contention.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:25 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy I will continue to be pompous all day if it keeps plebs like you in check.

kiss
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

The putting stats were worth a look:

Luke Donald 102 putts
Charl 107
Adam 111
Ogilvy 111
Day 114
Lee 116
Tiger 120
Rory 124

NedB has a point about Luke as he took 5 fewer putts than the winner. Lee said it himself, he was playing tee to green well enough to win but couldn't putt to save his life. Tiger played some brilliant stuff but an average of 30-putts per round doesn't cut it, so he's nowhere near back until he can use the short stick again, and he had a chance of glory last night but missed simple tap-ins. Poor Rory 124 putts.

If you discount Rory and could visulise yesterdays coverage without including him, we watched a fantastic event that any one of 8 players could have won.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

Davie wrote:Stop it you two! boxing

Leave em to it Davie.

I'll have a fiver on Navy.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:06 pm

Can someone describe exactly how McIlroy made a 5 on the 12th?

What exactly happened? I saw him hit a decent shot to the heart of the green and then next thing I saw, he was holing out (still not exactly a tap-in) and commentators said a 5. I thought I must've missed him hit a shot in the water and that the shot I saw was his third but apparently not

How the hell did he 4 putt from that tee shot? Especially considering my memory of him holing out wasn't exactly a kick-in

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:30 pm

Davie wrote:Can someone describe exactly how McIlroy made a 5 on the 12th?

What exactly happened? I saw him hit a decent shot to the heart of the green and then next thing I saw, he was holing out (still not exactly a tap-in) and commentators said a 5. I thought I must've missed him hit a shot in the water and that the shot I saw was his third but apparently not

How the hell did he 4 putt from that tee shot? Especially considering my memory of him holing out wasn't exactly a kick-in

20 footer to 3 feet, 3 footer to 4 feet, 4 footer to 1 foot, tap in for a score of 5 with 4 putts...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:33 pm

Davie wrote:Can someone describe exactly how McIlroy made a 5 on the 12th?

I'm afraid that's a measure of how far gone he was at that point. Could have been there forever, tbh, putting to and fro.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:37 pm

Thanks guys .. I think I'm glad I didn't witness it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

Davie wrote:Thanks guys .. I think I'm glad I didn't witness it
I switched TVs from one room to the other, saw his tee shot on 12 without realising he'd three-putted 11... couldn't work out how he was suddenly -5.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:43 pm

The way he played the 10th was almost unbelievable, the 3putt from 25th feet at 11 pitiful the 4 putt at 12 from 25feet(ish) was purely painful and the tee shot at 13 was a young man on the brink of physical collapse, I'm glad Sky proceeded to stop showing him as I thought by that point we may actually see an emotional breakdown into tears from him.

Can't see him coming back from this for a fair while

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

On the bright side, at least we don't have to through all the "he's not British" rubbish again!

P.S Is it me or are there far too many sticky's on this board?

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:03 pm

Yes way too many sticky's.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:15 pm

goldwolf wrote:P.S Is it me or are there far too many sticky's on this board?

I'm no fan of a large number of sticky's and try to only stick them to teh top of the board when they are a hot topic or something that for various reasons needs to stay visible for easy access

Of the golf section stickies, I've just "unstuck" one that was no longer such a relevant hot topic (Which is your favourite Major). There are two "global announcements" both of which can probably be taken down now though I'll leave that for the admin who put them there in the first place. After that, there is the one for the Winter eclectic (probably can be taken down in the next few days), the Fantasy league threads which probably should stay there, the cool wall (I never saw the reason for that to be "sticky" but someone asked for it - I'd probably take that one down if the majority agrees) and NavyBlueShorts asked for the one about "tell us about your latest game" to be stuck as being a topic likely to be revisited week on week.

The Masters is also there as a sticky but now the dust is settling that will be unstuck soon - I try my hardest to stick the weekly tournament articles when they are posted, and to take them down once the tournament is over.

If anyone else thinks a particular "sticky" is unneeded, please let me know

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

I'll make sure each weekly event article is done by a Tuesday evening that way they'll be continually rotating Davie if that's ok should help you with when to unstick them and is no crossover

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:43 pm

We should have a very strict rule of 4 stickys max. Davie I expect you to make the executive decision on what four they are.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

McLaren wrote:We should have a very strict rule of 4 stickys max. Davie I expect you to make the executive decision on what four they are.
Why can't you make it mac, you've already made the executive decision on how many there should be Smile

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 11 Apr 2011, 6:37 pm

Isn't the point of a sticky thread to keep a thread readily available despite it not being regularly added to? More for reference rather than availablity for something that will be a hot topic anyway, such as the Winter Eclectic thread?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 11 Apr 2011, 7:03 pm

The number of stickies is one thing. The global things are more irritating though
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The number of stickies is one thing. The global things are more irritating though

I'll sort them now. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

FWIW I like the occasional global sticky that goes cross-forums. It helps to get people talking from other sub-forums that wouldn't normally interact.

Fair enough, the ones that KB has now removed were probably past their sell-by date but I'd hope to see more in the future as long as we don't flood the boards with them

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:56 pm

I think, FWIW, that the Stickies should be the Fantasy League Results and Standings (permanent until the end of the season), the current week's Fantasy League event (which can go once the results are posted), Mav's preview of the upcoming ET event (he's on a par with Kwini's PGA Tour previews on the "other" side) and maybe one or two others, but no more. The Cool Wall has gone on far too long and the results for the Winter Eclectic have been posted for over a week. I'm not so sure about the global ones - don't usually read them.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy I will continue to be pompous all day if it keeps plebs like you in check.

Can I vote this the most outrageous post ever on the new 606?? 🤦

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:04 pm

Maverick wrote:The way he played the 10th was almost unbelievable, the 3putt from 25th feet at 11 pitiful the 4 putt at 12 from 25feet(ish) was purely painful and the tee shot at 13 was a young man on the brink of physical collapse, I'm glad Sky proceeded to stop showing him as I thought by that point we may actually see an emotional breakdown into tears from him.

Can't see him coming back from this for a fair while

I probably would have NR'd at that point Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:39 pm

drive4show wrote:

Can I vote this the most outrageous post ever on the new 606?? 🤦

D4S .... new606 gets FAR more outrageous posts than that. V2 is very refined unless someone mentions Happy Gilmour/Gilmore Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3