The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan

+11
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
nickj
formerly known as Sam
Thomond
bedfordwelsh
profitius
Majestic83
Notch
Coleman
Impossible Standards
15 posters

Go down

Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan Empty Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 31 May 2012, 11:58 am

Well a lock and a tight head is what we asked for and that's what we got. Not sure what quality they are, I think I vaguely remember Tim Ryan from a few seasons ago.

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=21415

Newport Gwent Dragons are delighted to announce the signing of second row forward Ian Nimmo from Cornish Pirates and tight head prop Tim Ryan from I Cavalieri Prato, both on 2 year deals.

26 year old Nimmo was named in this season’s RFU Championship Dream XV and helped the Pirates to the Championship final against London Welsh.

Very reliable at the set piece, 6’7” Nimmo will bolster the Dragons pack but he will also provide a valuable contribution in the loose with hard hits and strong carries. He comes into the squad following the departure of captain and second row Luke Charteris to Perpignan.

Ian is a former Scotland under 21 international and has been on the books of Leicester Tigers where he played for the senior team against Argentina in 2007.

He scored three tries in the 26 games he played for the Cornish Pirates last season and started both legs of the Championship semi final and final.

Tim Ryan joins the Dragons with an impressive CV and can boast European heavyweights Munster and Toulon amongst his former sides.

A strong scrummager, the former Ireland Under 19 international rose through the Munster ranks under the wing of Irish Test veteran John Hayes. Ryan, who made the switch from back row to prop relatively late in his career, is also renowned for top quality ball handling skills and as a pacy running threat around the park.

Tim started for Munster in their tour match against the All Blacks at Thomand Park in 2008 and racked up 14 appearances in the first team for Munster before being signed up by big spending Top14 side Toulon for the 2009/2010 season.

Tim played a big part in Toulon’s run to the 2010 Amlin Challenge Cup final, playing in 8 of their 9 games including a substitute appearance in the final, which they lost to Cardiff Blues.

Ryan has since spent a season each with Newcastle Falcons and, last season, I Cavalieri Prato where he started both games against the Dragons in their Amlin Challenge Cup Pool.

Dragons Director of Rugby Rob Beale was eager to welcome both forwards to the Dragons “I’m looking forward to working with both Tim and Ian. They bring with them a wealth of experience from playing across Europe and this will only help strengthen our pack going into next season. We have been impressed with how they have performed this season and hopefully they will continue in that same vein here at Rodney Parade.”

Full Name: Ian Alexander Nimmo
Date Of Birth: 25/07/1985 (26)
Place Of Birth: Harlow (England)
Height: 201cm / 6'7"
Weight: 120kg / 265lbs / 18st 13lbs

Full Name: Tim Ryan
Date Of Birth: 06/06/1984 (27)
Height: 188cm / 6'2"
Weight: 120kg / 265lbs / 18st 13lbs
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan Empty Re: Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan

Post by Coleman Thu 31 May 2012, 12:01 pm

Nimmo seems to be a like for like replacement in terms of play style and physical attributes for Charts, although there is difference in quality. Tim Ryan is a mystery to me, could be a decent signing.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan Empty Re: Dragons sign Ian Nimmo and Tim Ryan

Post by Notch Thu 31 May 2012, 12:26 pm

Hmm, Tim Ryan really hasn't a good track record at all. Wasn't good enough for Munster and was let go, but had one great game against the touring All Blacks. Toulon picked him up on the strength of that but quickly realised they had bought a dud and let him go; has been playing at a lower level since then.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 31 May 2012, 2:08 pm

Ian Nimmo is a great signing for you guys. He should have been signed up by one of the scottish pro teams years ago, in fact he was briefly signed by Edinburgh but released him not long after apparently for having a bit of a mouth on him. Think he has matured now and playing wise he definitely has, Big physical player and seems to have improved his fitness for getting about the pitch.
Hopefully for him this could be the boost he needs to get back on the representative ladder with Scotland as he probably is good enough.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 31 May 2012, 2:19 pm

Cheers for the info... I'm a bit concerned about the Ryan deal now though.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 31 May 2012, 2:43 pm

Its fair to say Ryan struggles in the scrums. He might have improved though, since he did convert to prop late in his rugby development.

Ryan is very good in the loose though and will give the Dragons a bit of ball carrying power. I'd also say that the Rabo league might suit him more because the scrummaging is not as good as the English or French leagues level.

All in all I think he'll at least be a decent squad player and could turn out to be a surprise package if his scrummaging has improved.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 31 May 2012, 3:49 pm

Anymore news on the rumours tha Iestyn Thomas is coming in as scrum coach?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 31 May 2012, 3:55 pm

Dave, his brother is probably a better scrummager than Tim. Was talking to his brother recently and his technique seems to have improved quite a bit so the same might happen with Tim. (both played in Italy)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 31 May 2012, 4:08 pm

Its fair to say Ryan struggles in the scrums. He might have improved though, since he did convert to prop late in his rugby development.

So did Dan Cole, he was an 8 until his mid/late teens. Hence why he's a bit lighter than most props. He worked hard on his technique and came good, there's no reason other props can't improve if given good coaching and combining it with hard work.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 4:37 pm

Though I know neither, I'm pretty happy with the Nimmo signing, as at least he has come from a professional side. Ryan from Prato doesn't inspire me too much, but I suppose at least the Dragons probably saw him first hand in the two Amlin games.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Thu 31 May 2012, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 31 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Nimmo is a good hard enforcer. He's been ever present for the Pirates for two seasons and they are no pushovers. Here's hoping he does a great job for you and starts challenging for the Scots. We could do with another Wagga

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

Someone on a Dragon's site posted this vid of clips from his games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjP8r-vKoVw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Does seem a good ball carrier and good in the loose.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

Seems to be a sideways or down scrummager :-x

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:39 am

I read somewhere that Iestyn was a done deal as Scrum coach, but I might be wrong (been mainly looking for Scarlets front 5 signings Very Happy)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 01 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

More money going out of the Welsh game on non Welsh players, is this regional rugby, joining Cardiff signing local talent?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 01 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

Oh come on, they are hardly 'marquee' signings.

The Dragons prob spent a huge chunk of their budget to keep Faletau and Lydiate on the books. We also have also regularly fielded an all Welsh 15 so I think you are being a little harsh.

There isn't an infinite pool of talent to chose from in the region and I think we've done well developing premiership players - look at Lloyd Burns, fromzero to hero in a year.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:11 pm

glamorganalun wrote:More money going out of the Welsh game on non Welsh players, is this regional rugby, joining Cardiff signing local talent?

Stupendously daft comment. This is the same Dragons who've put out a largely all Welsh XV for the past two seasons, yeah?

Go on then, humour me, which experienced Welsh prop and second row should the Dragons gone out and got?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:More money going out of the Welsh game on non Welsh players, is this regional rugby, joining Cardiff signing local talent?

Stupendously daft comment. This is the same Dragons who've put out a largely all Welsh XV for the past two seasons, yeah?

Go on then, humour me, which experienced Welsh prop and second row should the Dragons gone out and got?

Will James and Ben Broster? :-x

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Coleman wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Will James and Ben Broster? :-x

Answers within the budget of a region crippled by 50% WRU ownership, a miserly benefactor and significant debt from a new stand please. Else you may as well have said Ian Evans and Adam Jones.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Stone:

The Dragons are supposed to be a region and developing players[u] where are they?, I am not saying buy other players from the other regions e.g., look at the Ospreys they have/are losing props to the English and they still have WELSH strength in depth while the Dragons import duff rejects. What do the Dragons get paid for, wasting money on journey men. Burns was the only player truly from the region and he was developed/discovered at Cross Keys (well done M Ring of Cardiff).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:42 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Stone:

The Dragons are supposed to be a region and developing players[u] where are they?, I am not saying buy other players from the other regions e.g., look at the Ospreys they have/are losing props to the English and they still have WELSH strength in depth while the Dragons import duff rejects. What do the Dragons get paid for, wasting money on journey men. Burns was the only player truly from the region and he was developed/discovered at Cross Keys (well done M Ring of Cardiff).

Typical anti-Dragons drivel Alun. Who was that young tight head who played pretty much all season for us again? Are you honestly saying the Dragons don't take the field with a squad predominantly developed in the region? Name me your Dragons XV first pick then.

The Ospreys have bags of cash. We don't. They can hang on to their players to build a squad, and sign the best journeymen from the others. We can't.

The Dragons get paid for fulfilling their fixtures so the BBC get something to fill the day, the same as the others. The WRU run the Dragons Academy unless you hadn't noticed.

Burner was the only player truly from the region! Tell that to Tovey, Hughes, Jones, Roblin, Buck, Evans, Faletau, Parry, Jones, Smith, Dixon, Amos and the rest who've played for the Dragons this season alone! Totally daft comment.

Come back when you've got something other than anti-Dragons mythology, I love making Gwent Osprey fans look silly.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

Answers within the budget of a region crippled by 50% WRU ownership, a miserly benefactor and significant debt from a new stand please. Else you may as well have said Ian Evans and Adam Jones.

Not good.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 10:07 pm

That is a ridiculous comment - you pick on the region which has the least amount of NWQ players (though maybe now the Ospreys have shed a load of theirs they might have less), who most of their players are developed within the region because they can't afford to import. Just as they couldn't afford to hold on to Charteris, Brew and Bearman (I know he's English but came through the ranks at the Dragons).
They've also developed quite a few players now plying their trade at other regions and all with a very small budget.
As a result they can't afford to bid for the Welsh int locks/props (or they would have kept Luke) or the next wave of Welsh players - as a result they need to look at cheaper options and thought that these players were better than someone like Cai Griffiths and would also leave budget for them to bring a few more youngsters into the squad.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jun 2012, 1:31 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Typical anti-Dragons drivel Alun. Who was that young tight head who played pretty much all season for us again? Are you honestly saying the Dragons don't take the field with a squad predominantly developed in the region? Name me your Dragons XV first pick then.

The Ospreys have bags of cash. We don't. They can hang on to their players to build a squad, and sign the best journeymen from the others. We can't.

The Dragons get paid for fulfilling their fixtures so the BBC get something to fill the day, the same as the others. The WRU run the Dragons Academy unless you hadn't noticed.

Burner was the only player truly from the region! Tell that to Tovey, Hughes, Jones, Roblin, Buck, Evans, Faletau, Parry, Jones, Smith, Dixon, Amos and the rest who've played for the Dragons this season alone! Totally daft comment.

Come back when you've got something other than anti-Dragons mythology, I love making Gwent Osprey fans look silly.

clap

Got to give Alun his due though, he does try his best. Dealing with facts isn't his speciality obviously, but God loves a trier. His effort at pointing out where Mark Ring is from is particularly laughable. I wonder if Ringo isn't good enough for the Keys thanks to his Cardiff origins (despite Premiership Coach of the Season Greg Woods, the main man originating all of one mile from Pandy), whether he accepts Taff Gatland as the Head Welsh Coach?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:43 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Ben Broster, Eifion Roberts, Paul James and Yapp have all been available. There is still a rumour that Simon Gardiner may be released by the Scarlets. At lock; Day, Welsh and Reed have all left the Scarlets, Reed is still unattached I think, also Tito from the Blues. I appreciate that some of these may not be as good as the guys you have recruited and others may be too expensive, but they are out there.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down