The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berdych - what does the future hold?

3 posters

Go down

Berdych - what does the future hold? Empty Berdych - what does the future hold?

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

Hello, Oh minions and minionettes around the universe,

When Berdych emerged in 2004, beating Federer at the OG iirc, he looked to be an awesome prospect. Surely someone who would go on to slam success.

Powerful off both wings, strong serve and fantastic movement for a guy of his size (6.5), he looked like the prototype for the future tennis player. It wasn't unusual to see a guy of his size emerge as a top contender. Tennis has been replete with successful giants; Becker, Stich, Ivanesevic, Martin etc. However, all of those guys were serve and volleyers. Players who didn't move so well from the baseline but used their size and reach combined with powerful serves to cover the net.

Berdych was different. This was a big who could hang from the baseline in an era where court and equipment changes have made the s&v obsolete. He seemed to be the first of a new generation of mobile baseline giants. Since Berdych's emergence, others have followed in his footstep; Soderling, Del Potro.

Unfortunately for a number of years the Big Bird was very inconsistent and languished outside the top ten. Then in 2010, the year in which he reached the W final, Berdych entered the top ten for the first time and has remained a staple there since.

He seems to have become more consistent, usually only losing to the very best players. I feel the only thing holding him back from another strong slam run is his notorious knack of choking in the big moments. That may sound a bit harsh but he does seem to visibly tighten in the key moments against the top players.

Anyway, what do you make of the Bird man? Can he win a slam? Is he just a dangerous floater? Will he overtake Ferrer and Murray in the rankings? If he were to get to number four in the rankings, then I think his prospects of reaching more slam semi's would shoot up.

ghost

emancipator - may the serve be with you

Back to top Go down

Berdych - what does the future hold? Empty Re: Berdych - what does the future hold?

Post by bogbrush Fri 01 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

I think he's a very dangerous player in one-off situations and I don't rule a Slam out at all. I don't see him consistent enough to become a top 2 player, for sure, but he can definitely beat anyone on a particular day, no problem.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Berdych - what does the future hold? Empty Re: Berdych - what does the future hold?

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:04 pm

One of the issues I have is the strength of the BH and the versatility of his CC play. He hits the FH down the line with some immense power and flat precision. At 26 he still has time on his side. When he plays disciplined players who attack his BH, he struggles and tries to hit himself out of the situation and it makes for ugly viewing. If he had an Isner like serve, then he would be a top 4 player no doubt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

I think he has a good first serve but the percentage is invariably low, and that hurts him.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

Its amazing the guy is only 26 still...seems to have been around years now.
I agree with others that he can beat anyone on his day...and that makes him an immensely dangerous player. I wouldnt put it past him to have a mercurial week and run off with the RG title such is his ability. The guy has amazing stamina too...so fitness isnt an issue with him, and he has that special trait called "easy power" like Raonic, esp. on FH, where he doesnt appear to be putting that much effort in but the ball flies. Very talented, but very nervy in close moments. I think he can push for #4 by year end...and I expect him to make the semis here...losing to Djokovic in 4 v.tight sets. His game is perfect for grass too...so expect deep runs there and OG. But we'll see. ...oh and he arguably has the best looking girlfriend on tour...!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

Yes, consistent but can't raise his game enough mentally at the key moment. Some signs this year that may change, but nothing I really believe him. I think he will struggle to win a slam. Nadal and Djokovic are very effective players at the moment and make it very difficult for anyone else to win a slam.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down