The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nigel Davies

+14
Cardiff Dave
LondonTiger
DaveM
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
HongKongCherry
Knowsit17
Breadvan
bedfordwelsh
Shifty
EnglishReign
formerly known as Sam
mckay1402
Cymroglan
18 posters

Go down

Nigel Davies  Empty Nigel Davies

Post by Cymroglan Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:46 am

Nigel Davies set to leave Scarlets for Gloucester coach role
Scarlets coach Nigel Davies will be appointed as the new coach of Gloucester, BBC Wales Sport understands.

The former Wales and Llanelli centre will succeed Bryan Redpath, who resigned in April and has since joined Sale Sharks as a director of rugby.

Davies has been in charge at Scarlets since May 2008, finishing a high of fifth place in the Pro12 League.

He has also twice reached the last eight in the Amlin Challenge Cup.

The quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup have proved elusive, but Davies has been credited with developing a crop of exciting Welsh talent at the region
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18297015
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So that's that then.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Nigel Davies  Empty Re: Nigel Davies

Post by mckay1402 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 am

I'll be really annoyed if this happens. He's been building something for four years and now it's just starting to show good things he disappears. It's not a rugby decision it's definitely money and that, although to be expected is very disappointing.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:39 am

It's not a rugby decision it's definitely money

That may well be the case but it's not necessarily his personal gain. Scarlets have released a few players this summer and there doesn't seem to be the required finance to bring in new players of a higher standard.

Gloucester on the other hand are a real up and coming team, they normally just about break even, they have a cracking following and they have invested very well ahead of next year. On one hand he can continue with the Scarlets with an uphill struggle or on the flip side go to Gloucester where there is a young team of promise with more resources. As an added bonus his leaving gives his club an extra cash injection.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44 am

"finishing a high of fifth"? Really? Shocked

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:47 am

For all their baiting of the Ospreys it seems the Scarlets are the ones being picked to pieces at the moment, at least the Ospreys have controlled the players who left us. The only one who we didn't want to go over the last 2 years was Hook!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:09 am

This will be a huge blow for the Scarlets but then again Sean Holley is available Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:19 am

AlynDavies wrote:For all their baiting of the Ospreys it seems the Scarlets are the ones being picked to pieces at the moment, at least the Ospreys have controlled the players who left us. The only one who we didn't want to go over the last 2 years was Hook!

Oh but don't forgeyt Alyn, they play fast attcking rugby so everybody loves them....

Ahhhh4leaguetitleschoooo....

Wink
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:20 am

AlynDavies wrote:For all their baiting of the Ospreys it seems the Scarlets are the ones being picked to pieces at the moment, at least the Ospreys have controlled the players who left us. The only one who we didn't want to go over the last 2 years was Hook!

More like the Ospreys had such a huge squad they could absorb the losses.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:30 am

I don't rate Davies as a head coach so I'm not too fussed. Scarlets are losing a valued developper though.

Look on the bright side, at least Glaws are all the more likely to look inconsistant and tactically dull against any regions that might end up against them next season Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:47 am

I wonder if this is connected to Garin Jenkins and Vernon Cooper leaving their coaching posts a few weeks back?

Maybe they will go with him to Gloucester.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:42 am

I won't believe it until the Scarlets announce it. Whilst I agree it looks very likely he's going, and I can well understand him leaving, imagine all the time and effort you put into developing players for your region, and just when they come good, you can't play them as they are away with Wales for massive chunks of the season. Nigel has also gone on record saying how annoying he minds the season structure. I guess at Gloucester there will be less squad interuptions and he really plan like he wants to. If he does go that is.

It'll be a big blow for us though, he really seemed to be building something brilliant out West. It's not good it's taking so long for decisions to be made as to him staying or not. Pre season training isn't exactly that far away so it's not leaving the Scarlets much much time to find a replacement (if he does go). It'll Mr Easterby I reckon.

Nigel Davies is a Scarlet through and through. I can't imagine if he does leave this will have been in anyway an easy decision for him. He could have been afforded silly money, this opportunity to gain coaching experience outside of Wales might just be too good to pass up, added to that his son is coming to the age when he will be joining a region. If he wants to be a Scarlet, Nigel not being there would certainly make things less complicated.

If Nigel does go, it will be with my heartfelt thanks, he's been a complete credit to the Scarlets over the years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 am

I agree Dreamer I always liked him as a player and as a coach, maybe he is doing what David Young did, getting experience to go for the Welsh job in the future.

I know things didnt go well when he was a young coach assisting Gareth before but it's a results business and Nigel is probably the best choice even now if we were going to go for a Welsh coach, even now.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 am

I think this move would have been announced sooner, but quite correctly recent events at Gloucester have taken priority. Whilst not confirmed, it sounds like its a sure thing he'll be appointed and I will be delighted by this move. I feel we need to back this up with a new forwards coach and sadly a scrum coach. I do feel the team could really benefit from a defence coach.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:03 am

Could be good if the Scarlets go for Lyn Jones, he knows how to build a winning team, the Ospreys success even this year is down to him i.e., most of the forwards were under Lyn Jones.

Send G Evans to London Welsh from the Scarlets to gain experience as a good swap for Lyn

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:36 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I won't believe it until the Scarlets announce it. Whilst I agree it looks very likely he's going, and I can well understand him leaving, imagine all the time and effort you put into developing players for your region, and just when they come good, you can't play them as they are away with Wales for massive chunks of the season.

I hate to break it to you (and Nigel) but that's what clubs and provinces/regions are for; developing players for their national team.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 am

Decent appointment for Gloucester. He'll need a big coaching team though.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:57 am

Morgannwg wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:I won't believe it until the Scarlets announce it. Whilst I agree it looks very likely he's going, and I can well understand him leaving, imagine all the time and effort you put into developing players for your region, and just when they come good, you can't play them as they are away with Wales for massive chunks of the season.

I hate to break it to you (and Nigel) but that's what clubs and provinces/regions are for; developing players for their national team.

Well, duh Rolling Eyes

There's also something called a balance, where the success of the national side isn't at the detriment of the regional sides. Wales don't have that right now, and regional coaching staff, imo, are getting rightly peed off, imo Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:15 am

Well duh yourself for being upset over something so blatantly obvious Wink.

Yeah the season could probably do with a re-format though. There's a number of reasons for not having as successful regions, the coaches would rather blame the Wales call-ups/WRU than themselves. Ospreys don't look too far off though should they continue their form.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 am

ha! Smile

I don't think it's looking at the WRU for blame, but more acknowledging that the season structure as it is can't continue, if they want the regions to be able to compete effectively is all. The AI last year was a case in point for how the balance in Welsh rugby is wrong at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:40 am

That match at the end of last year was just ridiculous and destroyed the good start made by Welsh clubs in Europe. I guess the WRU will claim it was integral to winning the GS but sometimes I get the feeling that the foundations of Welsh rugby are being sacrificed.

Funny thing is i actually believe the international side would have been just as successfull if the regions did not exist and their was a proper Welsh premiership - and the Welsh sides would have been more competitve in Europe. Just don't tell David Moffett that, he still claims credit for all 3 Grand Slams.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:49 am

LondonTiger wrote:That match at the end of last year was just ridiculous and destroyed the good start made by Welsh clubs in Europe. I guess the WRU will claim it was integral to winning the GS but sometimes I get the feeling that the foundations of Welsh rugby are being sacrificed.

Funny thing is i actually believe the international side would have been just as successfull if the regions did not exist and their was a proper Welsh premiership - and the Welsh sides would have been more competitve in Europe. Just don't tell David Moffett that, he still claims credit for all 3 Grand Slams.

That's where every rugby fan bar the ones in Pontypridd would disagree.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:49 am

DaveM wrote:Decent appointment for Gloucester. He'll need a big coaching team though.

As I stated earlier Garin Jenkins and Vernon Cooper recently left the Scarlets, Garin did a great job with the Scarlets scrum this season. I wonder if them leaving was a prelude to Nigel taking over at Gloucester. Ben Morgan will also be there so maybe there is a bit more to this than meets the eye.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:15 am

LondonTiger wrote:That match at the end of last year was just ridiculous and destroyed the good start made by Welsh clubs in Europe. I guess the WRU will claim it was integral to winning the GS but sometimes I get the feeling that the foundations of Welsh rugby are being sacrificed.

In reality they don't.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I won't believe it until the Scarlets announce it.

Well it is now official http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/4975.php

Interesting times for all sorts of coaches as they try and garnish their reputations ahead of the new international appointments at the end of 2015.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:34 pm

also confirms simon easterby will be the new DOR of the scarlets. happy with this appointment, as there weren't many strong candiates within our budget range.

wish nigel all the best at Gloucester, apart from when we play each other at the start of the season in our friendly Smile
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:00 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:also confirms simon easterby will be the new DOR of the scarlets. happy with this appointment, as there weren't many strong candiates within our budget range.

wish nigel all the best at Gloucester, apart from when we play each other at the start of the season in our friendly Smile

Not sure that's happening anymore, from the Glos website:

"Gloucester Rugby will kick off their 2012-13 preseason campaign with a trip to current Heineken Cup champions Leinster before two home fixtures against the Cardiff Blues and the Doncaster Knights."

Probably for the best. Pleased with our new DoR though.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 pm

ER, very pleased with this news (and the news we've reported Sale!). Apparently Hogg is staying on but other coaches will be coming too - hopefully that includes a defence coach as we really need one.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Great stuff. Well Andy Farrell is in limbo at the moment, I know he wants in the England setup but worth a punt for defence coach?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm

You can't deny Sarries defence is excellent, but can't see it happening though. The circumstances are dreadful but we are going to need a new scrum coach, so I wouldn't mind seeing if Dougie wants to return.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Re-sign Mike Tindall as player/coach to work on the defence?

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:54 pm

jeffwinger wrote:Re-sign Mike Tindall as player/coach to work on the defence?

I'd be happy to give him a go as coach, but we don't need anymore centres. Is he any better than those? Maybe some, but we'll have 36, Mills, Molenaar, Trinder, May and Locke, so another centre would unbalance the squad.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 pm

I'd class Mills as more of a 10 and May more of a back 3 player at the moment. I haven't seen much of Locke but it doesn't sound as though he'll be starting quality in the Premiership, at least not immediately. So that leaves 36/Trinder as the first choice, Molenaar as a decent cover and then not a lot else. The starters both have a chance of EPS/Saxons involvement and Trinder has had his injury problems this year. So I don't really agree another centre would unbalance the squad. Having said that, I think it is highly unlikely to actually happen.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Awful news for the Scarlets.

Hope Easterby can gel the squad properly in time for the new season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:57 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Awful news for the Scarlets.

I'm furious at that appointment, the regions should be producing WELSH coaches, not helping Ireland develop theirs... mad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 am

And what other Welsh coach could we afford at such short notice?

Simon is a well respected member of the coaching team and knows the Scarlets inside and out. He's the only sensible appointment right now considering financial constraints and the timescales involved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:18 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Awful news for the Scarlets.

I'm furious at that appointment, the regions should be producing WELSH coaches, not helping Ireland develop theirs... mad

Easterby may have played for Ireland but he is a born and bred Yorkshireman. He has also lived in Wales for the past 13 years, he is married to a Welsh speaking, Welsh woman (Sarra Elgan) and both children were born in Wales. Does that make him English, Welsh or Irish? He has done well for the Scarlets to date, he is an intellegent and knowledgable coach. I hope he can make the step up to DOR.

I have some doubts about his support team, Mark Jones has done really well developing the likes of North, Liam Williams and Stoddard, but I am not sure he has the tactical nous to develop the halfbacks and midfield plays. I am also usure as to why they would want to poach a Dragons forward coach, because the scum is the Scarlets achillies heel and the Dragons scrum has been poor for years.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 pm

seagul - agree, danny Wilson is the U20's forwards coach too, and they got munched up front in the 6N's. I'm much more worried about him joining the Scarlets, then I am with Easters becoming head coach really.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 am

The sooner the IRB instigate a system that rewards poorer nations losin players and coache to wealthy ones the better.

Nigel's had a good stint turning the Scarlets around. Built a good foundation.

Lets hope Easterby can carry on in to a provident successfully future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 am

rugbydreamer wrote:And what other Welsh coach could we afford at such short notice?

Simon is a well respected member of the coaching team and knows the Scarlets inside and out. He's the only sensible appointment right now considering financial constraints and the timescales involved.

Mike Rayer? Mark Ring? There are a few guys who deserve a chance.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 am

I've honestly never heard of them in any way shape of form as being suitable for a head coaching role.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:50 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I've honestly never heard of them in any way shape of form as being suitable for a head coaching role.
Mark ring coaches cross keys who just one their first cup. Mike rather coaches Bedford.

Both are more likely to be involved with Cardiff or dragons rather than scarlets

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down