The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall

+8
jeffwinger
ChequeredJersey
HERSH
formerly known as Sam
gowales
ScarletSpiderman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LondonTiger
12 posters

Go down

Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall Empty Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall

Post by LondonTiger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:33 am

I may be blind and have missed the post(s) but amazed there has not been something (not even a wum from HERSH) about this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18584357

While this one year play/coach deal is good for Tinds as he looks to life outside of playing, I am intrigued as surely Nige does not need a backs coach. Is he looking for an invite to the palace?

so what do you C&W (Hmm are cherry n White fans also fans of country and Western?) fans think. good or would you prefer a clean break and a fresh start?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall Empty Re: Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

Part of me hopes he picks himself at 12.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall Empty Re: Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:40 am

Tiger - Nigel Davies' coaching team at the Scarlets had Mark Jones (Skills coach), Simon Easterby (Defense Coach), and Garin Evans (Team Manager) in it. I think he like the idea of promoting experienced retiring players into coaching roles as the team generally know and respect them already, which can make the transition easier. So I can understand why he would have Tindall as a backs coach, but IMO he would only take to the field when there are injury crisises (Sp?)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Spiderman,
I think they're looking at Tindall as a defence coach.

And I think he's still a much better player than Molenaar so you could see him play quite a lot of games if Twelvetrees and co are away with England

Last edited by gowales on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

An injury crisis or if England decide they like the look of a Burns, Twelvetrees, Trinder midfield. Which whilst unlikely is not impossible if say Flood, Barritt and Manu are unavailable.

Not a bad player to have kicking around as a mentor/coach. He'll help sort that backlines defence out as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

I'm not a wum. furious

But I'm sure this is a mistake, surely it means Tindall will be the designated coach driver?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Tinds is past it for England but he's not that bad. Worth keeping around as an option at least
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:25 am

HERSH wrote:I'm not a wum. furious

But I'm sure this is a mistake, surely it means Tindall will be the designated coach driver?

No his drink driving habits would be too much of a risk for that job.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:29 am

picard
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:47 am

Definitely good news. Been coming for a little while, and I think the majority of Gloucester fans will approve - most were disappointed he wasn't retained when his contract initially expired.

He wont be first choice but will be a good reserve. Trinder has had a few injuries recently and could be in line for an England call if he stays fit for a solid period. As others have said he is a very good replacement option, better than Molenaar and Locke. He is generally very well liked by the players and fans at Gloucester and the young backs especially really look up to him, so the coaching move is an astute one. I don't think even the most anti-Tindall posters will deny his exceptional defensive qualities. It has been announced as 'backs coach' but I expect his role will predominantly be with the defence, at least to start with.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

HERSH wrote:I'm not a wum. furious

Nigel Davies Announces New Gloucester Signing -- Mike Tindall Rolling

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

Very pleased as its always been clear the influence & impact he has upon the team and I believe he has the potential to be a decent coach. Not sure we'll see him play that much though. I disagree with others in that I don't see him as significantly better than Molenaar, who after last season's injury plagued season should be raring to go and return to his 10/11 form. Locke is far more like Trinder, so you can't really compare to Tins as they provide different options. All in all very pleased with ND.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

He's going to be a mentor for the younger players... we are talking about the same Mike Tindall aren't we? Headscratch

Oh well, can't say I'm upset about that. Laugh

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:He's going to be a mentor for the younger players... we are talking about the same Mike Tindall aren't we? Headscratch

Oh well, can't say I'm upset about that. Laugh

I have to agree with you. Personally I was really keen for another Tigers player to join us, but unfortunately all their cast offs were taken! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:46 pm

Don't worry HK, they'll make their way up the road to you when we've finished with them. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm

They will if they want to win a west country derby - 90% of the time we win everytime. Stay classy PJ Smile
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:23 am

Good news, I think. He showed he can still play when with the Baa Baa's and despite getting a lot of criticism for his England showings, he has been good for Glos.

Always nice to have a world cup winner in the ranks; will be a great mentor.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Paul Moriaty (sp) has joined up with his ex boss (davies) at Glaucester now too.

http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,25883,3823_7861330,00.html
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down