The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Platini an idiot?

+13
Crimey
Kenny
spencerclarke
azania
mystiroakey
Dr Gregory House MD
davidl1061
Diggers
Liam
GSC
Il Gialloblu
TopHat24/7
Good Golly I'm Olly
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Platini an idiot? Empty Is Platini an idiot?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:17 am

Read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18338838

So if a player is taking action against racism by walking off the pitch (because lets face it the referee's will do bugger all) he gets a yellow card? It's no wonder UEFA is such a joke, just amazing that FIFA is even more of a joke!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Is Platini an idiot? Empty Re: Is Platini an idiot?

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

Posted this last night under the Football Racism thread.

Absolute joke.

And to answer you question, yes, I think he damn well is!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

The worst thing for me is that he's tarnishing his reputation as a great player by being so out of touch in his current role. It's not the first statement he's made that's raised eyebrows since becoming EUFA President.

Sepp Blatter is an idiot too but he has no legacy amongst football fans to ruin. Platini has and he's doing a grand job of being remembered more for doing a terrible job in an official capacity than his great accomplishments on the pitch.

Tragic, really.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:12 am

Of course not.

Hes a politician.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

It made me laugh at how bad UEFA and FIFA are. Platini say's: The referee can stop the game due to racial abuse. The player has an absolute right to leave the field if he is racially abused.

Ok we are getting somewhere finally...Oh wait he has something else to say

Platini: But, they risk a yellow card or maybe even a red!

Are you serious. That's the biggest load of sh*t I've ever heard in my life. So you get sent off for standing up against racial abuse. I thought we are supposed to be showing racism the red card, not the ones who are standing up against it. How are these people running the great game that is football. Its frightening the attitudes and beliefs they hold and the football family has to do something about it. Its taken this long to get some sort of goal technology into the game, and because they are so late in approving these technologies, the PL can't even use it at the beginning of the season.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Of course not.

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

Do you agree he's throwing his legacy down the toilet?

I think the OP was asking the more black and white question of is he an idiot for coming out with his latest piece of nonsense, but I'm looking at the bigger picture and saying yes, he is an idiot.

Just by way of example, how will people think of Johan Cruyff in twenty years and how will they think of Platini, given their respective current career paths?

Similar playing eras. Not exactly the same from start to finish but for the modern day fan, similar. Great continental midfield players and, for the modern English fan looking back, a similar career and stature. But in the future, what will Cruyff be most famous for?

And what might Platini be most famous for?

Yes, he's now a politician. But for me, and for the simple fact that he is now a politician, he is an idiot.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

The one thing politicians aren't, are idiots.

I think people are getting a bit over the top with regards to racism, yes its an issue but its very much in the minority. The media coverage seems to be painting every citizen of Ukraine as a KKK member.

UEFA will have taken significant steps to make sure it isn't an issue. This is a globally televised event, they aren't going to let it be taken over by racists for the world to see.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

I think the OP was asking the more black and white question of is he an idiot for coming out with his latest piece of nonsense, but I'm looking at the bigger picture and saying yes, he is an idiot.

Just by way of example, how will people think of Johan Cruyff in twenty years and how will they think of Platini, given their respective current career paths?

Similar playing eras. Not exactly the same from start to finish but for the modern day fan, similar. Great continental midfield players and, for the modern English fan looking back, a similar career and stature. But in the future, what will Cruyff be most famous for?

Yes, he's now a politician. But for me, and for the simple fact that he is now a politician, he is an idiot.

It depends what country you are from. I think you will find its primarily the English who think Platini is an idiot, he is well regarded elsewhere in Europe and indeed the world.
Cruyff has said and done some pretty dumb things since he stopped playing, he will be remembered as a genius with an ego to match, Platini will be remembered as a great player and yes a politician, good or bad depends on whether you believe in his politics or not.
Im all for stamping out racism in football but leaving players to walk off the pitch is not the way forward. They should speak to the ref and let inform him of what is going on and take it from there.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:19 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:The one thing politicians aren't, are idiots.

I think people are getting a bit over the top with regards to racism, yes its an issue but its very much in the minority. The media coverage seems to be painting every citizen of Ukraine as a KKK member.

Tell that to a black person.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

I think that his comment was just ill thought. The fact he states referees have the ability to stop games when this has been happening for years and has never been done (as far as I am aware?). If there was a history of referees stopping games because of it then thats another matter but there isdnt. To the extent that players now feel they have to take it into their own hands.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

Yes, now I'm going to read the thread

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

Platini is no idiot- the guy amazes me. But he is no way an idiot- it is his job to try and say the right things- which is kinda impossible to do. remember he is just another yes man..the only way to look at him really.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:54 pm

Diggers wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

It depends what country you are from. I think you will find its primarily the English who think Platini is an idiot, he is well regarded elsewhere in Europe and indeed the world.
Cruyff has said and done some pretty dumb things since he stopped playing, he will be remembered as a genius with an ego to match, Platini will be remembered as a great player and yes a politician, good or bad depends on whether you believe in his politics or not.
Im all for stamping out racism in football but leaving players to walk off the pitch is not the way forward. They should speak to the ref and let inform him of what is going on and take it from there.

That's because elsewhere in Europe, they don't see monkey chants aimed at black players being much of an issue.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

Fifa and Uefa seem to take the stance that to have a go at someone elses culture is as wrong as a culture being predudiced by its core. It doesnt seem to want to move the world forward. But then it isnt really its job either. However it is possibly the best media to do actually make a difference

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

Has racism been stamped out in British football stadia? Were players allowed to walk off the field if they heard a racist taunt from the stands in Britain? Were players allowed to walk off the field if they heard a racist taunt from a player on the opposing team in Britain. What about the Suarez incident and the hate mail sent to Evra over his accusations?

Is this not a case of the pot calling the kettle black? [WTF? why hasn't that saying been banned?]

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:18 pm

Racism exsits in a very small minority in the stadia around britian i am sure. I think the point most people will make is that- racism is punished in this country at a level that in most other countries it isnt even seen as racism.

I do agree tho that much of the media about racism at present is more about timing to sell papers and to make its readers feel superior.. which is kind off ironic in my mind!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Has racism been stamped out in British football stadia? Were players allowed to walk off the field if they heard a racist taunt from the stands in Britain? Were players allowed to walk off the field if they heard a racist taunt from a player on the opposing team in Britain. What about the Suarez incident and the hate mail sent to Evra over his accusations?

Is this not a case of the pot calling the kettle black? [WTF? why hasn't that saying been banned?]

The thing is, it is not tolerated in stadia here. The racist chants are hardly heard here. Opposing players get booed equally regardless of skin color. That is not to say it is perfect, but compared to Europe, its tranquil.

If a player were to walk off because of racism, I doubt the FA would punish the player. More likely punish the team who the bigot supported. Moreover, there would probably be an announcement over the tannoy from a club rep asking the racists to stop or the majority of the crowd would drown out any racist chanting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

yes

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

unfortunately he will probably get the fifa job once that other idiot blatter finally goes

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

That's because elsewhere in Europe, they don't see monkey chants aimed at black players being much of an issue.

And if thats the case then supposedly what you are actually saying is the rest of Europe are all idiots are we are the only sane ones the England ? The fact is that Platini has a bad rep over here because he has issues with the Premiership and the FA. Most fans over here also have the same issues but they dont like some French bloke pointing them out and telling them they should fix them.
All he is saying in this particular case is players shouldnt walk off the pitch, personally I think thats a perfectly sensible suggestion as its only likely to cause chaos in the stadium. There are ways and means of dealing with situations, I dont think a player walking off would be a good one.
I mean what if one team is losing 1-0 and the game has to be adandoned because 4 black guys walk off ? Or indeed what if you are winning a game and players walk off, do you think the fans back home would accept that, it would just cause more argument and division.
Having principles is great, knowing when to exercise them is also very important as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Separate to whether or not Michel Platini is an idiot, and racism within British football on and off the field as well as in the boardroom, it hasn't started off too well in Poland: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736

"Euro 2012: Uefa confirms 'isolated racist chanting' towards Dutch
Uefa has confirmed there were "isolated incidents of racist chanting" aimed at Netherlands players during an open training session.

But the governing body has not revealed whether it is investigating the incident in Krakow, Poland.

Dutch captain Mark van Bommel said monkey chants were aimed at team-mates."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

ps to add to Diggers comment - the referee is the sole arbiter of the game. If players start to walk off etc without the referee's permission etc then it will be anarchy. With all the diving and cheating that goes on in the field then how could one be certain the player walking off is not just trying to stop the play in order to get an on-field advantage (e.g. they could be losing the match, or they might want to stop a counter attack).

All incidents must be brought to the referees attention during a natural stop in play and he can decide what to do. In general the referee and lines-men as well as the fourth official would probably be better placed to judge whether there is racist chants etc from the crowd.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Diggers wrote:
azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

And if thats the case then supposedly what you are actually saying is the rest of Europe are all idiots are we are the only sane ones the England ? The fact is that Platini has a bad rep over here because he has issues with the Premiership and the FA. Most fans over here also have the same issues but they dont like some French bloke pointing them out and telling them they should fix them.
All he is saying in this particular case is players shouldnt walk off the pitch, personally I think thats a perfectly sensible suggestion as its only likely to cause chaos in the stadium. There are ways and means of dealing with situations, I dont think a player walking off would be a good one.
I mean what if one team is losing 1-0 and the game has to be adandoned because 4 black guys walk off ? Or indeed what if you are winning a game and players walk off, do you think the fans back home would accept that, it would just cause more argument and division.
Having principles is great, knowing when to exercise them is also very important as well.

I haven't called anyone an idiot. The anti racism issue in UK is vastly different from the rest of europe. Only UK has specific anti racist legislation as law. Only britain has a race relations act. Britain has come a long way towards attempting to erradicate racism thru the law and statute than any other euro country.

France which has similar colonial history doesn't have it as it assumes that they are all french regardless (or something like that).

The rest of europe (imo) doesn't take rthe matter as seriously as we do here.

This issue goes beyond football in many ways. And to deal with it in a football manner is taking away the personal feelings of the victim. Yes it opens a can of worms in footbal related matters as you say. The answer is for the fans not to be racist.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:
azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

Hes a politician.

Idiot/politician.

I haven't called anyone an idiot. The anti racism issue in UK is vastly different from the rest of europe. Only UK has specific anti racist legislation as law. Only britain has a race relations act. Britain has come a long way towards attempting to erradicate racism thru the law and statute than any other euro country.

France which has similar colonial history doesn't have it as it assumes that they are all french regardless (or something like that).

The rest of europe (imo) doesn't take rthe matter as seriously as we do here.

This issue goes beyond football in many ways. And to deal with it in a football manner is taking away the personal feelings of the victim. Yes it opens a can of worms in footbal related matters as you say. The answer is for the fans not to be racist.

Platini isnt addressing the UK though is he, he is addressing the whole of Europe. And he cant wave a magic wand and make racism go away, all he can do is spell out the scenario as to what will happen on the pitch as he can control that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

He can do something, or do nothing. He has chosen the latter.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:He can do something, or do nothing. He has chosen the latter.

So what could he do ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

Condemn it rather than excuse it. Recognise it at least for a start. Not tell players they will be booked/sent off for refusing to endure it. He is head of UEFA, an organisation that thought it worse for Man City to be one minute late after half time than for the home fans to make racist chants at City's black players. He has the power to take a stance against racism by forcing clubs to address their racism issues but he chooses not to.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:34 pm

He has said referees have the right to take a strong stance and even stop a game. Quite frankly IMO empowering players to walk off would be an idiotic suggestion, in this situation he has said exactly the right thing.
Try giving some answers to the consequences of what would happen if a player were to walk off when his side were losing ? There would be riots.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

Silence when questioned on the issue of racism is not saying the right thing.

He and his organisation have taken nothing more than a dismissive view of the issue for years and, as the figurehead, he bears the bulk of the criticism for that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

Each league in Europe has its own football association and is only subject to so much control from UEFA. Even the football clubs can only do so much as clearly racism is dependant on an awful lot of socio economic factors.
The point of this thread is whether Platini is an idiot for saying what he said re players leaving the pitch, IMO he would have been an idiot to have said anything different.
Notice you havent commented on the potential consequences of a player walking ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:24 pm

Platini controls UEFA. UEFA decided that lateness was worse than racism. That IS Platini and UEFA's fault and problem. Fiorentina were banned a few years back because fans through a firework that hit an official. Other clubs have been forced to play in closed stadiums. ALL British clubs were banned from European competition for years due to the actions of Liverpool fans (in Turin, from memory).

UEFA has power and chooses not to use it on this issue. Platini was an idiot as much for what he didn't say, as what he did.

The consequences of making a stand? With enough media furore and backing I reckon the actual issue at hand - racism and the establishments refusal to deal with it - would be forced to be dealt with.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

The consequences of a player walking off. A potential riot at a ground which could lead to the injury of innocent people , that's not making a stand, it's stupidity.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

Simple answer YES he's an idiot . Facts are Football as a whole aren't serious about kicking racism out .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

Platini isnt addressing the UK though is he, he is addressing the whole of Europe. And he cant wave a magic wand and make racism go away, all he can do is spell out the scenario as to what will happen on the pitch as he can control that.

Perhaps he should take a lead from the country that is doing the most to combat racism in football grounds. By saying that players could get booked, he's brushing it under the carpet and saying the game is more important. It isn't.

Let's not forget what country Auschwitz is in.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

but football is very willing to bring the sport into all parts of the world which highlights problems and shares cultures. So i think that it does help even if it isnt its main focus

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

Diggers wrote:The consequences of a player walking off. A potential riot at a ground which could lead to the injury of innocent people , that's not making a stand, it's stupidity.

Let them riot. Why should players endure racism for fear of a riot? Human rights first.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

He's not saying that the game is more important, he's just now allowing chaos on the pitch. Almost all football professionals, including black men such as Vieira and Barnes have said that Platini is right to not give power to the players in this regard, it's up to the referee to deal with it, and by allowing them to stop games he's showing that racism will not be stood for.

It's about going through the right channels rather than dismissing it totally.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:The consequences of a player walking off. A potential riot at a ground which could lead to the injury of innocent people , that's not making a stand, it's stupidity.

Let them riot. Why should players endure racism for fear of a riot? Human rights first.

They don't have to endure it, they tell the referee it's happening and they have the power to stop games.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:

They don't have to endure it, they tell the referee it's happening and they have the power to stop games.

Exactly.

I get Platini nor Blatter are particularly popular here, but try not to let that influence this.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

Az I kinda understand you stance. But what about the innocent people that could get caught up in rioters!

UEFA just want a smoothly run tourny without any trouble. This isnt an anti racism rally. But i suppsoe at least iusues are being highlighted- so it is kind off a stepping stone

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm

Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:

They could do that. But if the ref doesn't stop the game?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Az I kinda understand you stance. But what about the innocent people that could get caught up in rioters!

UEFA just want a smoothly run tourny without any trouble. This isnt an anti racism rally. But i suppsoe at least iusues are being highlighted- so it is kind off a stepping stone

Collateral damage.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:53 pm

azania wrote:
Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:

If there are racist chants, then I presume they will. If the referee doesn't stop the game then they have broken the rules set down by UEFA and that isn't Platini's fault but the individual referee.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Okay, the ref stops the game and then what? An abandonment if the chants continue? Can't see it happening myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

FreekShow wrote:Okay, the ref stops the game and then what? An abandonment if the chants continue? Can't see it happening myself.

Okay...the player walks off.

Then what?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:
Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:

If there are racist chants, then I presume they will. If the referee doesn't stop the game then they have broken the rules set down by UEFA and that isn't Platini's fault but the individual referee.

To what degree will the racism be permitted? Some players may tolerate the odd monkey chants, but another may not.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

Crmiey there are no rules in place by UEFA to stop games, they are just spinning this up and saying the refs have the power to if they want- however UEFA knows full well that refs would have been told pretty clear not to stop any games unless there is acual threats of security or violence...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:00 pm

Crimey wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Okay, the ref stops the game and then what? An abandonment if the chants continue? Can't see it happening myself.

Then what?

He goes up in my estimation, ten fold. I can't believe that in 2012 we are talking about this. The world has gone backwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

Crimey wrote:

Then what?

The game abandoned, the tournament in dissaray and questions asked why to the offending country.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:02 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Crmiey there are no rules in place by UEFA to stop games, they are just spinning this up and saying the refs have the power to if they want- however UEFA knows full well that refs would have been told pretty clear not to stop any games unless there is acual threats of security or violence...

Exactly. Good point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next