The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Platini an idiot?

+13
Crimey
Kenny
spencerclarke
azania
mystiroakey
Dr Gregory House MD
davidl1061
Diggers
Liam
GSC
Il Gialloblu
TopHat24/7
Good Golly I'm Olly
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Platini an idiot? - Page 2 Empty Is Platini an idiot?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18338838

So if a player is taking action against racism by walking off the pitch (because lets face it the referee's will do bugger all) he gets a yellow card? It's no wonder UEFA is such a joke, just amazing that FIFA is even more of a joke!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Is Platini an idiot? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Platini an idiot?

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:03 am

Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:
Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:
Diggers wrote:The consequences of a player walking off. A potential riot at a ground which could lead to the injury of innocent people , that's not making a stand, it's stupidity.

Let them riot. Why should players endure racism for fear of a riot? Human rights first.

They don't have to endure it, they tell the referee it's happening and they have the power to stop games.

They could do that. But if the ref doesn't stop the game?

If there are racist chants, then I presume they will. If the referee doesn't stop the game then they have broken the rules set down by UEFA and that isn't Platini's fault but the individual referee.

It isn't a 'rule', just something Platini suggested they 'could' do. The refs aren't obligated to call off the game however apparently the players are obligated to accept racial abuse.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 3:05 am

azania wrote:
Crimey wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Okay, the ref stops the game and then what? An abandonment if the chants continue? Can't see it happening myself.

Okay...the player walks off.

Then what?

The game abandoned, the tournament in dissaray and questions asked why to the offending country.

Sounds like a reasonable sacrifice for social progress.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:23 am

social progress??

you mean tourny progress.

refs wont stop the games . Uefa have just tried to make them scape goats

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:02 am

You guys are a big bunch of a drama queens haha.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

Is Platini an idiot? - Page 2 3559488474^^^

thats you that is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:
Crimey wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Okay, the ref stops the game and then what? An abandonment if the chants continue? Can't see it happening myself.

Okay...the player walks off.

Then what?

The game abandoned, the tournament in dissaray and questions asked why to the offending country.

Sounds like a reasonable sacrifice for social progress.

What, you think that will make racists less racist ? It will have exactly the opposite effect and probably cause a riot.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

And the racists will have ruined the tournament for everyone including the players. The only people who will be really affected by a player walking off are innocent people.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:29 am

Its a globally televised event, and UEFA want a. it handled officially and safely rather than individuals taking a stand, and b. preventing individuals engaging in gamesmanship (i.e down 2-0 late, walk off under apparent abuse).

Some of you seem to be using this as a chance to take a potshot at Platini.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

correct gsc

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

All he's saying is, players should not be going over the HEAD of the referee's to make their intentions known. His comments have definitely been taken out of context and I bet the question asked was baiting for a response like that. Too many of you idiots think and believe the tabloids without thinking about the context.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

Not to mention UEFA just want to run a football tournament, not make a political statement
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

martyr_94 wrote:It made me laugh at how bad UEFA and FIFA are. Platini say's: The referee can stop the game due to racial abuse. The player has an absolute right to leave the field if he is racially abused.

Ok we are getting somewhere finally...Oh wait he has something else to say

Platini: But, they risk a yellow card or maybe even a red!

Are you serious. That's the biggest load of sh*t I've ever heard in my life. So you get sent off for standing up against racial abuse. I thought we are supposed to be showing racism the red card, not the ones who are standing up against it. How are these people running the great game that is football. Its frightening the attitudes and beliefs they hold and the football family has to do something about it. Its taken this long to get some sort of goal technology into the game, and because they are so late in approving these technologies, the PL can't even use it at the beginning of the season.

OK.... I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. Not my opinion, just making a relevant point for the sake of clarity.

Platini's comment about the showing of a yellow card is not some sort of mealy-mouthed threat, it's actually the correct refereeing decision for any player who leaves the field of play without the permission of the referee.

Law 12 (Fouls and misconduct) lists all the offences for which a red or yellow card will be shown.

A player will be cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any one of the following seven offences: (not going to list them all, just the relevant one)

Deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee's permission

So, there you have it. Platini is quite right to remind players that leaving the pitch would render them liable to a yellow card (or a red card for a second offence) and any penalties that might be consequent.

I'm no fan of Michel Platini, but you can't knock the bloke for warning players about the consequences of their actions.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:14 am

It's a grey area, as I see it.

How does a ref decide if a player has been racially abused ? .Does he have to hear it himself ? Does he go by one players say so ? Does he need the team Captain to officially complain ? Does he require both Captains to agree to abandon a match ?

I've never heard of a game being abandoned due to racist chants from fans and I doubt I will.It's totally wrong that a few morons still persist in such behaviour, but until UEFA actually take it seriously it will continue.

Personally, I'd love to see a player walk off (followed by both teams) if he was abused, regardless of what the ref/UEFA thought should happen !

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

Postie wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see a player walk off (followed by both teams) if he was abused, regardless of what the ref/UEFA thought should happen !

So I take it you believe this for any kind of abuse ? If a player is constantly heckled for being ginger, fat, bald, being married to a particular woman? Or if the fans decide he is gay and will throw a lot of homophobic abuse at a player say like Le Saux used to get.
A player walking over a racist taunt will set a precedent for all of these possibilities and who is to say other than the individual how deeply any of this abuse affects them. Im sure al ot of people think its hilarious when 20000 fans sing a song about how they would do your wife but I cant see that all the players think its so hilarious.
Ww could end up with some pretty quiet stadiums, every match would seem like it was at the Emirates......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

You can shave or dye your hair, you can lose weight, you can have inplants and the missus is irrelevant.

If a gay player get's homophobic abuse (I can't see any active footballers ever coming out soon) I'd be happy for him to walk also.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

You are juts picking and choosing what you consider to be offensive, its not your call Im afraid. Abuse is abuse and how it affects the victim is purely personal. To say that someone hurling abuse at your wife is irrelevant is quite frankly ridicoulas.
If a bunch of guys in a restaurant sat and shouted at you what they would do to your wife would you just sit there and think it was OK ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

No, but in the same way your saying I'm picking and choosing, you're doing the same to find situations to support your argument.

Racism and homophobia and socially unacceptable practices, and illegal too being 'protected characteristics' under the Equal Rights Act.

Being ginger or having someone call your missus a slapper are not. That is the difference.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

I think you will find that bullying is a socially unacceptable practise and that is exactly what all these types of abuse are.
Ive been called a northern whaever countless times and quite frankly could not care less, but if someone were to abuse my wife it would be a different story.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

Spot on diggers

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

Diggers, I take your point about the different forms of abuse players have to endure.I also accept if a player (or team) walked off it would indeed create a precedent which would have huge implications.

I said earlier that if a player/team walked off due racist taunts/ monkey chants I personally would applaud them.UEFA have officially declared support for anti racism campaigns but in practice, have turned a blind eye to the problem.At least, if a player/team walked off in one of these high profile games, UEFA would be forced to act ?

Out of interest, how would you go about eradicating racism at matches ?

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

Id go down the route of targeting fans via CCTV and banning the offenders that way. Also I have no problem with a game being stopped by the ref in a controlled way after complaints by a player. I just don't think it should be left to an individual or indeed a team to act without backing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm

Being that both him and Blatter are totally anti English, does it really surprise anyone they haven't got a clue how to deal with zenophobic or racist attitudes.

Bloody frog Wink

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:56 pm

Diggers wrote:Id go down the route of targeting fans via CCTV and banning the offenders that way. Also I have no problem with a game being stopped by the ref in a controlled way after complaints by a player. I just don't think it should be left to an individual or indeed a team to act without backing.

Fair comment thumbsup

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

Ok, well at the end of the day I'm not black and have never suffered racial abuse. But I'm pretty sure that if I was, I would be pretty miffed that calling someone a 'fat biffer' is being put on a par with being called a 'n****r'.

There's a reason we have a piece of legislation called the Equal Rights Act 2010 and of it's 9 protected characteristics being fat or ginger isn't one of them. Trying to lump them in together and call it all 'abuse' just serves to gloss over tackling the clearly more serious issue.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

It doesnt serve to gloss over it in the slightest. What it does do is illustrate that the problem with abuse form football crowds is a very complex one and is certainly not confined to race.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2