The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch

+9
sportslover
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
denzilsmom
Davie
yummymummy
Wooffie
Haddie-nuff
Mad for Chelsea
socal1976
13 posters

Go down

Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch Empty Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch

Post by socal1976 Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I'll give my top and bottom 5 and the reasons for each selection and I would be interested to find out about other people's as well.

Favorite:
1. Novak Djokovic: a great all around game, fantastic mover, engaging personality, and I really love watching him return serve. The way that he can blunt the power of the big serves on today's tour. Plus you can see him try new things and improve year in and year out. Recently he has become a much better volleyer
2. Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful shot in tennis the elegant and wonderful one handed backhand. Also excellent feel and touch at the net.
3. Fernando Gonzalez: He hits with literally everything he has got. A player who is a shot maker and who does not pull any punches. He can hit winners and finish points off in every which way possible, including unfortunately in a flurry of unforced errors.
4. Marcos Baghdatis: Another shot maker, who on his day can beat anyone. Plus he really looks like he is having fun out there and I have rarely if ever seen him upset on the court.
5. Youzhny: The guy has not only amusing mannerisms but a great all around game and one of the best one handed backhands in the game.

Least Favorite:

1. Ivo Karlovic: I just don't like watching one dimensional tennis and huge serves hit back and forth.
2. Radic Stepanek: Not a fan of out and out S and V tennis, hate his goofy attempts at showmanship which often are disrespectful to the game and his opponents. And he has one of the ugliest forehands in the game. Also won't be winning any beauty contests.
3. Andy Murray: I hope he does win a GS, and it isn't really his game that bothers me. Although he does play too defensive for my tastes and his forehand is not an attractive shot.Plus his tantrums, are really overboard and grating.
4. Andy Roddick: Another guy who is a bit of jerk to officials and linespeople and plays a one dimensional game. He has improved that aspect over the years. But really in general he is still a one trick pony. Plus I don't know why his tantrums and Murray's are just not as enjoyable as Mac's and Connor's, they seemed to do it with so much more flair.
5. John Isner: See above Ivo Karlovic

Last edited by socal1976 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch Empty Re: Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 pm

good topic!

Favourites:
1) Andy Murray. I just love the variety he brings to he game. Watching him dismantle opponents with heavy slice and changes of pace is most entertaining I think. Also his backhand down the line is a thing of beauty. OK so I'm a fanboy, so sue me!
2) Roger Federer. Because at his best there was no better sight in tennis, seemed to glide across the court and make the most outrageous winners look effortless.
3) Mikael Llodra. Not saying we should return to the times when everyone served and volleyed, but I do appreciate the variety his game brings. His backhand volley is possibly the last of a dying breed.
4) Leyton Hewitt. Possibly an unpopular choice, but I love his never-say-die attitude, the one man I'd back to come back from two sets down time and again.
5) Fernando Gonzalez. Has the hardest forehand in tennis, and can produce the most outrageous winners. Also a real character. Vastly entertaining to watch.

Least favourites:
1) Ivo Karlovic. Big serve, awful awful backhand and a mediocre volleyer. Can't stand his matches, except when he's being dismantled by Murray of course Smile.
2) Andy Roddick. Success built around a big serve, has become a real pusher from the back of the court nowadays. Disrespectful to umpires too.
3) Gaël Monfils. Just frustrates me, could be a great player if he didn't spend his time five yards behind the baseline pushing the ball back. Remember him blowing Nadal off the court in Doha in 2009 and thinking "why doesn't he play like this all the time?". Also irritates me with his on-field antics.
4) Robin Soderling. Typical ball-basher. No variety in his game, just whacks the ball (this is not to say he's not a very fine player), which I find pretty dull to watch. Doesn't make up for it with a personality either.
5) Serena Williams. Arrogant, one-dimensional, disrespectful (when has she ever given an opponent credit after a defeat?), plus the annoying screeching which oddly gets louder on important points.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch Empty Re: Who are the top five players you enjoy watching and the top 5 you least like to watch

Post by socal1976 Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 pm

ٍExcellent, Mad for Chelsea, actually I wish I could revise my list and add Gael Monfils to my list of players I don't like to watch. His footwork and balance is awful although he has all the speed and power in the world. And some of his antics of trying to get the crowd involved are way over the top. But many fans do find monfils enjoyable.

The reason I put Andy in my negative list, is because although he has a good game he plays too defensive and comes off as very negative and dour. I hope he does pull himself together and become a grandslam champ as it would be great for the sport. It would be a shame to waste so much natural ability. Also agree on Soderling, too one dimensional.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I was going to put Andy Murray as my favourite player to watch, but sometimes the pain is too unbearable to watch and I have to close my eyes and say to myself "I'm in my happy place" over and over. But when he is in the groove he is good eye candy.

Sooo

1) Andy Murray
2)Federer, grace and silky smooth action.
3)Kollerer, just for the insane persona and the laughs he brought.
4)Nadal, athleticism extraordinaire.
5)Djokovic for his passing shots and retrievals.

1)Querry, ZZZzzzzz......
2)Bogdonavic, always know he will wilt and lose.
3)Hanescu, just horrible to watch, I like him not.
4)Isner,only has 3 shots, serve, serve and serve.
5)Llodra, I'd rather watch paint dry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Favourite.. Rafa .. all the things that are said about him and then some.
The typical cussed Spaniard.. never say die. A grinder His amazing passing shots from the baseline, court coverage, speed and agility is only surpassed by his mental strength which I so admire. His humility both on and off court is a credit to him and his family

Fernado Gonzalez (or forehando Gonzalez) what an amazing shot that is. His firey temperament leaves the spectator never knowing what he will do next. Just how many rackets has he broken !!!!

Nalby.. the most wasted talent in tennis. On a good day he is just a wonder to watch he must have every shot in the book. and could beat anyone on the planet.... oh if only Nalby

Doko... (now) I never liked him much until about a year ago. But he has such a variety of shots.Great agility The best return of serve in the business. A great tactician.He too is a gentleman both on and off court. Respectful and polite

David Ferrer.. another cussed Spaniard... His tennis is so often underrated. His tenacity must be admired what a fighter. Albeit he is in the main a baseline player he is capable of some superb play at the net. But always looks like he has train to catch...!!!

Dislikes.

Soderling.. totally overrated in my book. No charisma often rude and disrespectful. As already said no more than a ball basher. Boring to watch.

Andy (sorry fans) born out of frustration really methinks. He is capable of much more than returning the ball to wait for his oponent to make the mistakes-
Needs to mature and stop acting up on court. His body language is pathetic.,

Karlovic... cumbersome around the court., big serve and little else (except on a good day) but seen one of Dr Ivo´s matches and you have seen them all.

Isner....... " d i t t o " see above.

A-Rod. just irritates me... he leaks like a sieve-- constantly pulling his shirt not to mention his shorts !!! )
Another big serve albeit he has a more rounded game. But he rushes his shots making too many unforced errors. He tests my patience-

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Haddie, I have to say I didn't much like watching Rafa 3 or 4 years ago, but since has added the big flat forehand, the net game, and the better serve, I maybe should have added him to my list. Federer was definetly top 5 for me a couple of years ago, but I can't really get into his matches because it just isn't the fed of 2003-2007.

By the way, what has happened to Fernando, does anyone have any up dates? I know he has injury problems but is he even playing right now?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm

The last I heard he was having an operation I think it was his hip... dont quote me but iit registered as being the same problem as Nalby. Not a good time of his career for it to happen. I know the other Fernando (hairnando) has been putting off an operation on his foot which has been troubling him for a couple of years now.
I never mentioned Roger because I never have really enjoyed watching him.I never enjoyed Sampras either (in fact I would go as far as saying that between them they nearly killed me off watching tennis) Then Rafa re-lit my fire...

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Sampras was awful to watch, I was always an Agassi man. And back in the 80s I liked Connors of Mac. Some people love S and V tennis, but the big servers have never captured my imagination. It seemingly comes too easy for them.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Favourites

1. Rafa. A unique player. I love his tenacity, court movement, athleticism, his whipped forehand the down the line, his mental strength, his passion, his warrior qualities and the way he will leave a piece of himself on the court. All that coupled with his shyness, humility, grace and manners off it. I also find it very impressive that he never stops trying to improve himself, or rest on his laurels or pat himself on the back for how good he is. Plus the work ethic he has put in to play and be a Champion on grass and hardcourts is fantastically laudable.

2. Novak Djokovic. I always liked him, but then wavered a little in 2009, more to do with his attitude than anything else. I like his tenacious qualities and the fact that he too, has worked hard to realise his potential.

3. Juan Carlos Ferrero. I just find this man an extremely classy player, and a very classy bloke. A calming joy to watch.

4. Juan Martin Del Potro. I don’t think he has the greatest style, but they way he hits the ball is impressive. I like his humble nature, and his mental strength.

5. Mikhail Youzhney. I think because of some of the madness that lies within. Dunno why really … I just like him.

Least Favourite

1. Roger Federer. The man made me totally lose my love of the game for a couple of years. His play leaves me cold, it lacks passion. I care not also for his personality … but I think I’d better move on.

2. Robin Soderling. Ball bashing, ugly game with an un-appealing character to match.

3. Ivo Karlovic. I know the principle of the game … but serve monsters do nothing for me. There isn’t a single pleasing thing on the eye about his play.

4. John Isner. Ditto … see above ^^^

5. Jo-Wilfrid Tsonga. Again … a bit of a ball basher, and I don’t find his game attractive. And his personality even less so. He’s not quite as good as he thinks he is and I always make sure I switch the telly off before “that” post-match celebration occurs.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Favourites

Murray - Like his *clever tennis* play bamboozling his opponent
Fabrice Santoro - The Magician thumbsup
Youzhny - ;'cos he's Youzhny heart
Djoko - At his very best at the moment and a joy to watch.
Federer - The *smooth operator* who makes it all look so easy.

Least favourite

Ivo Karlovic - because he plays like *Lurch* from the Adams Family !
Queerrey - ditto ^
JWT - his on court histrionics and play-acting are a turn off.
Roddick - I DO wish he would get some clothes that fit him
and stop leaking all over the place
Sharapova - her yelling REALLY annoys me furious

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Wooffie you may know, or indeed be interested to know, that on Spanish tv the other evening they did about a 15 minute slot of JC:Ferrero´s tennis school.
What an impressive looking place it is..Children from the age of approx 5 to teens.. and how they were being coached indoors and outdoors in all aspects of the game. Tennis, agility, stamina etc... and how they were loving it. Credit to him he is giving so much back to the game. Britain take note....I agree with you he is indeed a classy bloke.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 pm

I don't know Wooffie, I was debating whether or not to put Tsonga on the list, he has pretty good movement and touch at net, I would disagree that he is just a ball basher. But again beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and afterall you have a right to your list.

As for Nadal, I agree he is amazing and I really enjoy those remarkable passing shots on the dead run of his, and the combination of his great talent and humility.

As for Youzhny, he is an interesting character, who could forget the time he bashed himself in the head with the racquet out of frustration and cut himself open. He is an emotional player who shows when he is happy and when he is upset.

As for Fed, I tend to agree to an extent. He does have more flaws in his behavior than people are willing to admit. His yelling at Novak in the change over that you are boucing the ball too much was a breach of etiquette as he should have addressed his comments to the chair umpire. And some of his media comments towards his opponents (namely Murray and Djoko) haven't been proper. But again no one is perfect and generally I think he has been a pretty good citizen. But there is truth in what you say, as controversial as it may seem.

That is why I kind of like the Djoko-Fed rivalry because there seems to be that bad blood between them.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Tsonga is an odd one IMO. I like his attacking style, and he does have good touch at the net, but his on-court antics are silly. His post match dancing routine was fine the first time he did it, but it's ridiculous to do it every time he wins a match...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Favourites
Agassi
Becker
Connors
Nastase
Nadal

Least Favourites
Sampras
Borg
Lendl
Murray
Henman

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Haddie ... no, I knew nothing about JCF having a tennis school. The thing is, if Spain keeps producing these great characters and they in turn re-invest something of themselves back, then its all got to bode well for Spain's future.

The word 'role model' is over-used and I do believe it starts with the parents, but when Spain can boast these Grand Slam champions who are great for the way they play the game and are winners, but then they conduct themselves with such grace (Moya being another one), then I think they are inspirational.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Speaking of Gonzo the Chilean tweeted about his return to full-time action after undergoing hip surgery at the end of last year: "Today i finish my 6 months post-op rehab. I was discharged and ready to go back to game."

You guys mentioned Gonzalez above, well, I've just read this quote so thought I'd leave it here for info. thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Oh great stuff.. I said I believed it was a hip op... well hurry back FOREHANDO... add a bit more spice to the mix Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 am

Davie, I loved Jimmy Connors and Becker as well. Connors was such a competitor sure he was a jerk at times, but he brought maximum effort every single time he stepped on the court. Plus I loved how he would hit the ball so flat and go up the line with that backhand, a true fighter.

Becker is one of the few big servers that were compelling. Loved his diving volleys at wimbeldon. Better groundstrokes than people gave him credit for.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 am

Top 5

1, Rafa...no surprise here...just think he is the ultimate competitor, would leave blood out on the court if it meant just one more shot would win the match. His game frustrates me at times, because he can get too defensive, but overall for sheer excitement and pulling off the impossible, he gets my vote.

2, Nole.....since he's knuckled down and has lived up to his full potential has proved himself a tough opponent, plus I love the fun he brings to the court.

3, JMDP....Raw, raw talent but hits the ball so well...here's hoping he picks up from his long lay off.

4, Gulbis...I could put him in the least liked as well, as he is so frustrating to watch... a wonderful talent and if he would just knuckle down, could easily be inside the top 10.

5, Little Daveed Ferrer....never gives up and will keep going forever.

Least liked

1, Federer....never liked him, or his Tennis......I just find him dull :yawn: and a bit too fond of his own publicity.

2, Soderling...one trick pony, dull repetitive ball basher, and a unpleasant character to boot.

3, Karlovic...Isner....Querry....all the same to me, that's why I've put them all together <serve><serve><serve><df><serve><game>

Just a mention for Feli Lopez....he loses far more then he wins, but looks beautiful while he does it <fangirl> heart

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:07 am

Just a mention for Feli Lopez....he loses far more then he wins, but looks beautiful while he does it <fangirl>

------------------------------- : not to mention he has the most amazing legs Drool :run2:

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:06 am

Favourites to watch:

1. James Blake - Tennis entertainment at it's absolute finest. The forehand is just insane, and quite frankly all those people salivating over del Potro's forehand are kidding themselves; Blake's may not fire constantly, but when it does, it makes del Potro's look like it has all the speed of a milk float. His willingness to go for the money shot, be it the forehand, backhand, the drop shot or the lob (from ANYWHERE on the court) is, and always has been, his greatest strength and weakness. No consistency as a result, but when you see the shots he pulls off you don't really care. Never one for on-court controversy either, he just gets on with it. WHAT A LEGEND.

2. Roger Federer - Impossible to not like the guys tennis, to be honest. Just the most perfect example of baseline attacking you'll ever see. Also a great defensive player with that rare knack of being able to switch the rally around with one good shot. Doesn't even look likes he trying. But still looks incredibly cool. Again, lets his tennis do the talking, no silly rituals and just gets on with it.

3. Nicolas Mahut - The passion of the game personified. An absolute warrior who for all he lacks the talent of Nadal, can show even him a thing or two about absolute determination and grit. Never, ever, ever gives in. The fact that he plays in many a huge 5 setter is no coincidence; his heart makes him go further than his ability alone would allow. Not that he's all that bad at tennis mind you; he's one of the few lads who can serve and volley and there's quite like seeing him throw a desperate but unusually accurate diving shot from the baseline either. Great bloke, great to watch, great player.

4. Novak Djokovic/Rafael Nadal - They share it for me. Both lack the attacking brilliance of Federer. Both don't go for the ludicrous shots of Blake, both don't quite have the almighty guts of Mahut, but both are far better consistency wise than Mahut and Blake and they are a great pair to watch if you're interesting in the art of turning defence into attack. Rituals make them rather annoying at times but you aren't so bothered when you see them retreiving the impossible and somehow returning not only with their own shot, but a damn good one. Cracking players.

5. Fernando Gonzalez - You just never know. Will he be brilliant? Will be rubbish? Will he explode in rage as a by-product of the aforementioned? You just don't know. What you do know though is that it will be great entertainment either way.

Dislikes:

1. The WTA tour with the exception of Clijsters, Martinez and the Williams Sisters - MY EYES ARE BLEEDING! Dear, dear God help me. It's just awful. Clearly talented girls but they refuse to show it 99% of the time as the hit it down the middle, down the middle, over and over again untill one gets bored and goes home. The sisters and Martinez show some attacking invention and Clijsters is just genius, but the rest are, on the courts at least, diabolical to watch.

2. John Isner - Nice lad, boring player. Serve, serve, serve.

3. Ivo Karlovic - Like Isner, only his serves are harder, and therefore cooler.

4. Tommy Robredo - The opposite of Karlovic and Isner, Robredo just retrieves. Nothing else, just returning the shots over and over again. Has the guy ever dominated a rally? To be fair, defensively he's awesome, but I'd like to see him actually go for it in a match, instead of waiting for errors.

5. David Ferrer - Possibly a harsh inclusion, but he is basically Robredo only better and (hence potential harshness) willing to go for broke if necessary. Which is barely ever. (Hence inclusion).

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:15 pm

TITN, I love your fascination with Blake and then Mahut, wow an interesting list to be sure.

Can not agree more on Robredo, he just completely lacks any weapons at all, a grinder with no attacking ability. A poor man's David Ferrer. And with Ferrer at least you see him crank a forehand every now and again.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 pm

denzilsmom, very naughty with your Feli Lopez, I would assume that a large percentage of Lopez's fans are female. I am hoping to live a good life and come back in another time as a feliciano lopez look alike.

It is interesting that we have so many closet Youzhny fans.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Like watching - Murray (has the potential to be a multi slam winner winner if ONLY he can get it all together!)

As for the other four - Any of the top twenty.

Dislikes - Non ( they all bring different attributes )

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:48 am

Here's my list:

1) Roger Federer: At his best, there is simply nothing that Roger can't do. His serve, although not as dominating as Sampras', is very effective. His volleying is a true sight to behold and his forehand, especially in his peak years of 2003-2007, was devastating.

2) Richard Gasquet: His backhand is one of the finest shots that I have seen in a while (he can teach Roger a thing or two). It's too bad that his mental fragility has impeded his ability to be more successful at events.

3) David Nalbandian: Another mercurial talent who has not made the best of his talent. Whenever he has held it together, he has proven himself to be more than a match for anyone on the tennis tour. His early duels with Federer made for scintillating tennis viewing.

4) Andre Agassi: I know I am reaching into the past, but before Roger came along, I really used to enjoy Andre's devastating baseline game and the titanic struggles that he had with Sampras. I believe he was the first player to perfect the art of taking the ball on the rise and improved his serve by leaps and bounds.

5) Patrick Rafter: Another serve-volley relic from the past, but I believe this choice is worth mentioning because he actually made me like serve-volley tennis more than Sampras ever did (no disrespect to the 14-time Grand Slam champion intended)

Five least favourite:

1) Rafael Nadal: As much as I admire his mental toughness (he is much tougher mentally than Roger), I have just never warmed to his grinding, attritional style of play. It jars my senses and although very effective (he has won 9 grand slams at 24 after all), for me it is not as aesthitically pleasing as watching Roger in full flow.

2) John Isner: what other posters have said about his game

3) Ivo karlovic: Serve-only

4) Andy Roddick: Serve and nothing else

5) Gael Monfils: Poor movement which has resulted in many injuries to his body at a young age

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:14 am

kemet, what about today's players. rafter, andre, are gone if you had to round out your list with two more players of today who would you pick?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:14 am

socal1976 wrote:kemet, what about today's players. rafter, andre, are gone if you had to round out your list with two more players of today who would you pick?

Well, if I had to add two more players from the contemporary era, I would choose Marat Safin and Tommy Haas. Haas has dealt with many injury setbacks throughout his career and Safin was notorious for having a fragile psyche, which cracked under the pressure of slam tournaments. However, his epic win over Federer in 2005 at the AO showed his largely unfulfilled potential.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Yes both are very watchable and talented players and interesting personalities as well. Marat Safin was such a great athlete, he just loved partying and dating models more than playing tennis, well I guess he can't really be faulted for that.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Most:
1. Sampras - great serve and pwerful flat forehand
2. Del Potro - great flat, powerful forehand
3. Soderling - excellent flat, hard shots
4. Connors - the original flat-hitting baseliner
5. Nadal - different from the above but a great competitor

Least:
1. Federer - won too many grand slams between eras & before Nadal matured
2. Bruguera - typical boring, grinding, overly-topspun, uninspiring clay courter
3. Berasetegui - as above
4. Tsonga - what's all the fuss
5. Hewitt - boring, defensive, safe, bad attitude, everything a player shouldn't be

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 am

Interesting list, always loved Jimmy Connors. It is funny that you put such a high premium on behavior and being polite or a good sportsmen. Connors was maybe the worst sportsmen of them all. He was my favorite growing up, but he certainly wouldn't fit into your ideal of a gracious champion.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 am

1. Roger Federer - The guy is a genius and very much changed the game of tennis. His movement is so laid back and you never see the guy drenched in sweat or anything. His longevity and fitness is never spoken of enough in my opinion.

2. Rafael Nadal - When Roger was in full force going into 2005 it was hard to imagine anyone playing to the standard of tennis he was producing. This guy came along and has raised the bar even more. His forehand is just amazing to watch. The spin and trajectory on it is mind boggling. His defence and retrival skills defy logic at times.

3. Juan Martin Del Potro - The way this guy turns opposing players winners into winners of his own is amazing. Again his action on the forehand looks very effortless and yet it generates so much power and it is so flat. Be good to see him get back to his best.

4. Andy Murray - Not a British vote I might add. He has so much variation to his game and yet people remark how 'boring' and 'passive' it is and it is not the case. Being able to change shot selection and shot power with ease can be a difficult thing to do. Nice to see a thinker on the court that doesn't try to use the same shots over and over again to beat people.

5. Novak Djokovic - It is good to see him now maximise his potential. Something certainly Murray can learn from and I think the Davis Cup victory certainly helped his confidence to no end. His stamina around the court is brilliant and his drop shot is under-rated.

Dislikes

1. Marin Cillic - So much was expected of this guy and he has just wasted the potential he has. I think his game has not developed at all since his Oz Open in 2010. Has become to one dimensional.

2. Fernando Verdassco - Like with Djokovic, played a big role in Spain's 2008 Davis Cup victory and it helped give him the belief that he could peak higher in the game. Had a good 2009 and since then he has gone flat. Frustrating to watch him implode in matches as he can play so much better than what he is playing at the moment.

3. Nikolay Davydenko - I thought when he won the Worlds Tour Finals in 2009 that it would make him a much stronger mentally as he had the tools in his game to challenge for the slams. Again another player that cannot hold it mentally and I think it is disrespectful to the game of tennis when he has a 'slump' in a match.

4. Gael Monfils - Just wasted talent. I am sure players out there would kill for some of his abillity.

5. Ivo Karlovic - Big serve and nothing else.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Good list legendkilla, in his heyday of 2004-07 Fed's game was so easy on the eyes, he had all the shots and the movement of a dancer across the court. And of course love that you got Novak on the list, I think Andy will get there as well. Rafa so much heart and effort truely a wonder in terms of grit and ferocious baseline shots. I don't think I have ever seen anyone hit the passing shots he can muster. And as for JMDP, he doesn't like to see a 110 mph forehand winner? Absolutely tears the cover off the ball.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by waiting on nole Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Novak Djokovic
Tommy Haas
Alexandr Dolgopolov
Boris Becker
Marcos Baghdatis

dislike
Rodger Federer
Ivo Karlovic
Andy Roddick
Sam Querrey
Thomas Berdich

waiting on nole

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 am

waiting on nole, I agree with most of those on the list. Of course Djokovic is great my personal favorite as well, very engaging on and off the court. Becker was my favorite player of that generation. Haas just a real good all around game and such an elegant one handed backhand. And I can't stand the big servers either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by waiting on nole Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 am

glad you agree Very Happy the guys in first half of the list are pure fun imo, the second half, although they are quite good players, is soooo boring.

waiting on nole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down