The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster squad additions

+30
Backrower678
MBTGOG
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
WillyGilly
Artful_Dodger
LeinsterFan4life
logie28
dw7
Don Alfonso
Kingshu
Sin é
trustedwomble
1F'sgonnagetya!
Golden
MrsP
JayMaster3000
Rory_Gallagher
The Great Aukster
Rava
Pete330v2
Standulstermen
Hookisms and Hyperbole
formerly known as Sam
red_stag
marty2086
rodders
Notch
UlsterinKildare
clivemcl
BelfastNI
34 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ulster squad additions - Page 10 Empty Ulster squad additions

Post by BelfastNI Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Trimble has started following Jacques Botes on Twitter if that means anything...?
#Geoffisbetterthantwitter

BelfastNI

Back to top Go down

Ulster squad additions - Page 10 Empty Re: Ulster squad additions

Post by clivemcl Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:06 am

Its one of those things though. We want to do well, we want to be successful, we want the sport to grow. If these things are deemed to be necessary then I'm fine with it. Not happy, but I won't crack up.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Time will tell, some things catch on in popular culture and some things, despite having every ingredient right, simply don't.
The Aviva stadium name seems to have caught on but then again there was a long enough period between going to Lansdowne road and going to the Aviva in which we attended Croke Park. A long enough period it seems to have the general rugby public accept the Aviva name. There won't be such a period for Ravers so will another name forced upon us catch on? Time will tell.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Other teams have been very successful both on and off the pitch without selling the naming rights to their ground. Including teams in France, England, Ireland etc.

I'm not happy about it at all. I appreciate Logans efforts in maximising sponsorship money will greatly benefit the professional side and allow more investment in the Academy structures, but if teams like Leicester and Munster can get by without selling their stadiums naming rights...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

While I dislike it intensely and will never call it anything other than "Ravenhill", I don't think the "if it's good enough for Leicester/Munster" mentality achieves anything. We want to be better than both those teams.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

I dislike the idea myself and cannot imagine calling Ravenhill anything other than Ravenhill. I can fully understand the financial and commercial needs of the business that is Ulster Rugby but I'll be sticking firmly with the tradition and way of life that is Ulster Rugby Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Thu 28 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

I think there would be a difference with Landsdowne/Aviva. That is a new stadium, it might have been built on the same land but it is a different stadium.

We're not building a new stadium so even if the rights were sold, it'll still be known as Ravenhill to fans. If we were kncking Ravers down and replacing it then we might have a problem with people calling it The BT instead of Ravenhill. I would much rather sell stand names than the whole ground.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 28 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

1F'sgonnagetya! wrote:I think there would be a difference with Landsdowne/Aviva. That is a new stadium, it might have been built on the same land but it is a different stadium.

We're not building a new stadium so even if the rights were sold, it'll still be known as Ravenhill to fans. If we were kncking Ravers down and replacing it then we might have a problem with people calling it The BT instead of Ravenhill. I would much rather sell stand names than the whole ground.

Theres less money to be made from selling the naming rights to the stands tier one advertising is the stadiums name, theres some great articles around on it all to do with the Olympic stadium that explains it all

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Thu 28 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

marty2086 wrote:
1F'sgonnagetya! wrote:I think there would be a difference with Landsdowne/Aviva. That is a new stadium, it might have been built on the same land but it is a different stadium.

Theres less money to be made from selling the naming rights to the stands tier one advertising is the stadiums name, theres some great articles around on it all to do with the Olympic stadium that explains it all

I understand that we wouldn't make as much money from just selling stand names as if we sold the stadiums name. Just saying I would prefer not to sell the name of the stadium. I always think it's a real shame for sport when historic stadium's names are sold. Sad

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/ruggerhuggerire

Updates on this twitter account from the Live Q & A session with Humphreys, Logan and Mark Anscombe.

Here are some of the most interesting snippets;

Ruan Pienaar will not be back for Ulster until October, specifically weekend before the team's 1st ERC game due to 4 Nations commitments. Paul Marshall is expected to be back for final pre-season friendly in August.

Ulster squad is finalised for 12/13 season

Season ticket sales up by 20% for the new season. More time & money being pumped into underage level.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:04 am

International players won't be available until Round 3 of the Pro12. Pienaar not available until the week before the Heineken Cup starts back.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Starting line up something like this for start of Rabo? (if I've got open loose positions wrong, I apologise!)

(15- 9) Payne; Bowe, Spence, L Marshall, Gilroy; P Jackson, P Marshall
(1- 8) T Court, Herring, J Afoa; J Muller (c), Stevenson; S Ferris, Birch, Wilson

Will Afoa be in the NZ squad I wonder?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

I'd say Ferris won't feature untill later, when hes building up match fitness for H-cup.

6)Doyle?/Henderson/McCormish
8)Williams/Wilson
7)Henry

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

any one know much about James Sandford at London Irish?

With Ireland being short on Locks is he one we are looking to bring back in future?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:22 am

clivemcl wrote:Starting line up something like this for start of Rabo? (if I've got open loose positions wrong, I apologise!)

(15- 9) Payne; Bowe, Spence, L Marshall, Gilroy; P Jackson, P Marshall
(1- 8) T Court, Herring, J Afoa; J Muller (c), Stevenson; S Ferris, Birch, Wilson

Will Afoa be in the NZ squad I wonder?

Have NZ changed their policy on selecting players playing abroad?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:29 am

Afoa won't be in the NZ squad because he play's outside of NZ.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:35 am

I have to say that leaves us still looking pretty strong for the first few games whilst Munster/Leinster are hopefully resting their internationals too.

Any chance with Luke Marshall being non-existent last season, that him and Farrell might be on equal footing to see who impresses more. Nelson looked descent in center as well as 15. I wonder if either them or Olding will get any game time this season.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Kingshu wrote:I'd say Ferris won't feature untill later, when hes building up match fitness for H-cup.

6)Doyle?/Henderson/McCormish
8)Williams/Wilson
7)Henry

There's a very good chance we'll see Williams at 6 as much as 8. Signed as cover for Ferris.

The comment was made that it could be good for Jackson to be without Pienaar at 9 as at times Pienaar and Wallace do too much for him. Long term he needs to take more responsibility. Could be good for his development to be in charge of goal kicking and the principal playmaker in the early part of the season.

I would also say Luke Marshall is in prime position to get a solid run of games. Moving Ian Whitten on was a clear signal of intent that we are going to back him in a big way this year. He was told to concentrate on being ready for this season after having injury problems last year. Remember Farrell, Olding, Nelson and Henderson will have had less time off than our other squad players due to the JRWC and will probably start pre-season a few weeks later.

I would guess the team that starts the season will be something like...

Tom Court, Nigel Brady, John Afoa, Johann Muller, Lewis Stevenson, Nick Williams, Sean Doyle, Roger Wilson, Paul Marshall, Paddy Jackson, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne

(Rob Herring/Niall Annett, Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, Neil McComb, Ali Birch/Robbie Diack, Michael Heaney, Niall O'Connor, Adam D'Arcy)

Last edited by Notch on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jun 2012, 12:02 pm

clivemcl wrote:I have to say that leaves us still looking pretty strong for the first few games whilst Munster/Leinster are hopefully resting their internationals too.

Like us, they don't have a choice. The guys who toured will be rested for a few additional weeks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

Notch is Brady not semi retired?

Might be better with Brady first few games then throwing in Annett and Herring if they are going to be the long term back up or replacement at hooker as theyll need game time and dont want a situation like we'll have with Jackson and theyll be surrounded by what a pretty strong and experienced pack

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 29 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

Brady is still contracted. I believe if Herring does well he will be phased out. Pecking order at hooker is really anyones guess to be honest. I'm just guessing they'll go for experience at first then slowly phase the other two in once we have Best back.

This is all the realm of speculation obviously. Maybe Mark Anscombe has a few surprises up his sleeve? Pretty easy to predict what McLaughs would do after a few years, but a new coach always shakes things up. Everything is up for grabs and he's also said he wants to give the young guys every chance to stake a claim. If they're good enough they're old enough seems to be the message from the Q&A session when he was talking about young players.

Who knows, maybe we'll see a first XV start that features Annett and Henderson right from the off. That would be exciting.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sat 30 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

So the squad would appear to be this:

Props: John Afoa, Callum Black, Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, Paddy McAllister

Hookers: Niall Annett, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Rob Herring

Second Rows: Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy

Backrows: Robbie Diack, Sean Doyle, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry, Mike McComish, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson

Scrumhalves: Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar

Flyhalves: Paddy Jackson, Niall O'Connor

Centres: Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Paddy Wallace

Wings: Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble

Full Backs: Adam D'Arcy, Jared Payne

That's the 34 full squad members, with Michael Heaney (scrumhalf) also on a 4 month trial. We have 6 development contracts and 12 academy players. I don't know how they break down - I'd assume Iain Henderson and Ali Birch are two of the development contracts. Hope to see both feature regularly in the Rabo.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 30 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

I would hazard a guess the development players are;

Stuart Olding, Peter Nelson, Chris Farrell, Chris Cochrane, Ali Birch and Iain Henderson.

Seems a bit back heavy, but there you go. We do have a lot more forwards than backs in that squad. Or maybe Heaney is in the 34 and Macklin is still on a development contract. Not sure.

Anyway, having 40 players is a good number- we'll use them all over the course of the season for sure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sat 30 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

I thought both Olding and. Nelson were very good at 13 during the JWC, so I'd hope both could fill in as utility backs this season. Although I wonder could Olding push NOC at ten...

How long has Chris Cochrane been on a development contract now? From Matt Williams' time?

I really hope Anscombe is as serious about giving youth it's chance as he makes out. I'm excited - not about winning, this season, but about seeing the growth of Henderson, Birch, Jackson, Macklin, Spence and L. Marshall in particular.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sun 01 Jul 2012, 1:54 am

Don Alfonso wrote:I thought both Olding and. Nelson were very good at 13 during the JWC, so I'd hope both could fill in as utility backs this season. Although I wonder could Olding push NOC at ten...

How long has Chris Cochrane been on a development contract now? From Matt Williams' time?

I really hope Anscombe is as serious about giving youth it's chance as he makes out. I'm excited - not about winning, this season, but about seeing the growth of Henderson, Birch, Jackson, Macklin, Spence and L. Marshall in particular.

There are definitely a good few players with a lot of potential. I'd pick out henderson as a star and nelson as a very good player. Luke marshall looked good 2 seasons ago but hasn't made as much progression as anticipated (not helped by injury).

Cochrane looked exciting last season and i'd say he is worth a contract as Gilroy, Trimble and Bowe will all be around the ireland squad. Think he has taken longer than most to develop physically but has the talent - good to see Ulster didn't give up on him because of that.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 01 Jul 2012, 11:01 pm

I had mentioned a few months back i think Cochrane got a full contract. his mother is a doctor and during an appointment said to my wife that he had signed with ulster.

Unless that meant signed an extention on the development contract. Hes a bit old now though is he not for development?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

According to The Other Forum, the development contracts are for Nelson, Farrell, Birch, Henderson, McIlroy and Burns. John Burns is a back-rower; anybody know anything about him? No idea about Cochrane - does he have a full contract and some we thought does, doesn't?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

Where did it all go wrong? Such a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTaswtDfym8&feature=player_embedded#!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:54 am

Gaston's left to London Irish. Suppose it's good for his career as he won't get much of a look in with our first choice back 3 and the cover.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 05 Jul 2012, 4:45 pm

I don't know about Cochrane. Hope he's still around. Think he will be alright.

Think about it; Trimble toured there, Gilroy was unlucky to miss out and Tommy Bowe is an obvious choice to come straight back into the Ireland set-up. We definitely need another winger.

I could see Nevin Spence playing there, but with Cave touring and possibly in Kidneys plans that could leave us short in the centre. Adam D'Arcy I think is not really a good winger, better at 15. Cochrane would be very useful to us.

He may have shown some defensive frailties in his cameos last season but he had a great strike rate for the sparse amount of time he spent on the pitch. He knows his way to the line.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 05 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

Allen Clarke has been appointed as some kind of high-performance guru to the Ulster Academy. Exactly the kind of canny thinking we want. Humph has been banging on about our youngsters having to be priority for a while now - steps are being taken to make this happen. Delighted. Bit of vision brought to bear on long-term goals.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 05 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Kingshu wrote:any one know much about James Sandford at London Irish?

With Ireland being short on Locks is he one we are looking to bring back in future?

Sandford didn't feature much last year due to injury and to being behind Garvey, Evans and Kennedy in the pecking order...probably Casey as well for that matter.

However, when he did play he looked like a good solid player. He is a big lad and looked effective around the ruck area. He was on a one year contract and has been kept on for another two, so we obviously see some potential in him. I still expect Evans, Garvey and Skivington to be our preferred locks, but him and Kieron Low could end up pushing these guys quite hard. I am definitely happy to have him at Irish.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Mark Anscombe is looking to add to the coaching staff at Ulster;

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/26815.php

rodders! Fire up Microsoft Word and get that CV updated. Good man Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

ha, look at the state of chris henrys face in that photo!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

The Ulster 1st team profiles are updated - I thought Farrell was given a development contract? Allen is there instead. Headscratch

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Notch wrote:Mark Anscombe is looking to add to the coaching staff at Ulster;

Ulster Rugby & IRFU (Ulster Branch) is an equal opportunities employer and as such welcomes applications regardless of community background, sex, disability, gender orientation, race or creed

Laugh Even Sin E can apply for that!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

Notch wrote:Mark Anscombe is looking to add to the coaching staff at Ulster;

Done Notch, I've added in my cover letter that my main objectives are to get Willie Faloon and IHumph back. Not sure if that will help my application.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

Does nobody have any info about why Farrell isn't in the Ulster squad while Allen is?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Does nobody have any info about why Farrell isn't in the Ulster squad while Allen is?

My thoughts Rory for what they are worth.

Allen is too old for the Academy now I think, so his progression would be to a development contract. Farrell has only been with the Academy one year so it makes sense he remains there for at least one more. "It's all about the money .. music"
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Makes sense, thanks Rava. OK

I thought Farrell was given a development contract, but I must be mistaken!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 09 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

Here's one of the interesting things I see on the squad profiles page;

Ricky Lutton has one of the development contracts. I knew literally nothing about him so here is his biog. from the website;

Lutton, who is predominatly a prop but can also cover hooker, returned to play for Belfast Harlequins in 2011 after a spell playing in Canterbury, New Zealand. His impressive club form resulted in him not only gaining representative honours with the Ravens, but concluded with him being awarded 'Club Player of the Year' at the Heineken Ulster Rugby Awards in May 2012.

Lutton is an excellent scrummager and is also highly capable with ball in hand. He earned a development contract with Ulster at the beginning of the 2012/13 season.

Good to see Chris Cochrane has been retained after all. We'll need him in international windows.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:43 am

Stephen Ferris is apparently doing squats and full weight training for the first time in eighteen months. During which period he was nomnated for HEC player of the year...

If he could just stay healthy...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 13 Jul 2012, 9:11 am

Don Alfonso wrote:Stephen Ferris is apparently doing squats and full weight training for the first time in eighteen months. During which period he was nomnated for HEC player of the year...

Oh boy oh boy! Yahoo

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

Looks like the SA lingo is rubbing off on the other players! I think I even heard Trimble replying to a question by saying "yea look..."

Interesting interview with Tom Court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cd9XkvNGzo&feature=relmfu

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

Don Alfonso wrote:Stephen Ferris is apparently doing squats and full weight training for the first time in eighteen months. During which period he was nomnated for HEC player of the year...

Saw something recently about some scientists who believe spider web can be used as a cartilage replacement....was thinking Mr Ferris would be the ideal guinea pig..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/887267-is-spider-web-technology-a-possibility-or-just-spin

think this is what your talking about apparently an English company have been working on it too it could become a common medical use and save millions a year for the NHS

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:03 am

Anyone seen Darcys new blog?

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10640.php

I'm sure most of you know by now, that I like this guy. Maybe this blog will help you see why. To me he is a genuine guy who is just over the moon to be a professional rugby player. He seems pretty down to earth and grounded. And more than that, he steps up when he is called on. From what I've seen on twitter etc, he could be one of the most liked guys in the squad. I've been itching to get more of an insiders view of the Ulster setup, and after reading this, I'm thoroughly satisfied. well done Adam!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:35 am

Yup saw it clive, interesting read. Seems like a nice guy D'arcy, hopefully we'll see a bit more of him this season. Sounds like preseason is going well.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Great read, no way it was written by an aussie though.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

It certainly is an informative and well composed read, the guy should be branching out into literature. I'm a bit worried about how he knows what Adam Macklin’s sweat tastes like but other than that all is well Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

I got a postcard from Tommy Bowe yesterday, saying he was happy to be back at ravenhill and looking forward to seeing me there, anyone else get one?

also it showed more of the new kit, looks a lot like one from a few seasons ago

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next