The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Carl Froch handled defeat

+7
ian_jamsie
JabMachineMK2
azania
mobilemaster8
TopHat24/7
davidemore
Jab to An MD
11 posters

Go down

How Carl Froch handled defeat Empty How Carl Froch handled defeat

Post by Jab to An MD Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:43 am

I'm a long time viewer and i used to post on the old 606 but havn't been on here in a while due to me forgetting my password for over a year. I wold also like to take this oppertunity to express my sorrow for the news on Windy, a great man and sorely missed.

Anyway the nitty gritty of the article. This article concerns fighters, confidence and the Fabled pertfect '0'. And for e how fighters react after that first defeat. The obvious example of fighters who handled it badly were Princ Naseem Hahmed who capitulatedafte his loss. (I believe he is no so large a small town outside bradford now orbits him). But something i have never seen entioned is Froch's ttitude ince his first loss. Beforehe lost a close fight against Kessler hehad some obvious flaws n his game; mainly tha he left his left hand too low, refused to box rather than brawl and e often came out slow and looked very nervous. Allof these too me came from an attitude of 'It'll be allright'. It s often said unbeaten fighters 'dont kow how lose' but for me carl froch's loss has sured his game up, he sensibly boxed AA's ears of in a fight tht was muted as 50/50 and the time and blew Bute away in a match where e was going in underdog.

All the aforementioned flaws have been worked on, my question is, did take losing to make Carl realise he had to work on these issues, asde from the nerves which i beleive is irradicated by having lots more top level experience.

Jab to An MD

Back to top Go down

How Carl Froch handled defeat Empty Re: How Carl Froch handled defeat

Post by davidemore Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:13 am

Nice stuff.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

Could say similar of Khan following his loss to Prescott, really turned himself around after that and, until Peterson, was arguably the top man his division and a top 15 p4p fighter. Not bad for someone getting flattened by a club fighter and dropped by domestic level guys.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

Could also say it about Pacquiaos last loss against Morales.........

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

Before the Ward fight on Sky, he was complaining of being robbed in the ABA finals.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Froch is just a very proud man.

He did come out and say he just lost to the better boxer in Ward. Maybe he does genuinely believe he beat Kessler. Personally I don't think he did, I thought he was silly at points in that fight.

All the best

Jabby

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

He lost to Inkin in the worlds. He dropped inkin in the fight as well.

It was more than a little dodgy.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

He moaned that Kessler got a home town decision over him but said he beat Dirrell and deserved the decision. He had to show some humility after the lesson Ward gave him because he was full cr@p before the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

He didn't seem to learn much from the loss to Kessler because Glen Johnson was hitting him with big right hands for fun.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

If memory serves me right, Froch complained of a training injury going into the Kessler fight. Personally, I don't think he was as confident as he should have been. He didn't take the defeat well, but top sportspeople generally don't. Seems the defeat didn't do him any harm in the long run, mind. With his confidence renewed, a rematch with Kessler would be an exciting prospect.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

We all know Boxers dont like to admit to any defeat and with those close decisions, it must be hard for them to see the lose, as a lot can be open to interpretation.

You only need to look at other close decision like Calzaghe/Bhop where the you'll never hear the loser admitting he lost to the better man on the day.

Its only those lob sided decisions they lose where it would be foolhardy to admit defeat. (Audley being the exception to the rule!)

From his first Kessler lose to Bute I don't think his style has changed too much IMO. Of course we all know the phrase of you cant teach an old dog new tricks, but if father time starts catching up with Froch sooner rather than later he may need to pick up a few new moves that were not important to him when he was younger.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

I am most impressed with how Froch handled the Ward defeat. The Kessler defeat, like someone says above, he doesn't seem to think he lost, but Ward, he knows he did. So to come back like that vs Bute, is pretty special.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

His two best career performances for me have come directly after a defeat so I would agree that the defeats have brought a response from him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 13 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

I just hope he isn't too buddy with Kessler to want to do what is necessary in the rematch. They seem pally, but I am sure that once he has been tagged a couple of times that will end Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

I think its more of a mutual respect then them being buddies. Both come to fight and love it when their opponent does as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jab to An MD Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

I think Froch said his mum dosn't want him to fight Kessler because he is 'such a nice man'. I can see Froch winning the rematch if he performs with speed but is his best tactic to try an outbox kessler or to rough him up. Or a miosture of the two like Ward did. Personally i wouldnt know how to approach it

Jab to An MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down