The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney?

3 posters

Go down

Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney? Empty Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney?

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

Ghosty posted an interesting topic today that got me thinking. How about we make our own tournement using:

Oscar De La Hoya
Shane Mosley
Felix Trinidad
Ike Quartey
Pernell Whitaker
Vernon Forrest
Oba Carr
Fernando Vargas
Ricardo Mayorga
Winky Wright
Javier Castillejo
Yory Boy Campas

Maybe, someone with the time (and the 606v2 know how) could post a fantasy tournement with all 12 names. Perhaps, 3 mini-leagues each consisting four boxers. Each boxer fights the others once (maybe twice). The top two from each group progress into a SUPER 6 Tournemnet (or maybe knockout stages like the champions league?) The OP would need to pull names at random for the mini-league and then the first round fights of the super six after that....but I'm sure you could be trusted?!. The rest of us will vote and discuss each fight until conclusion. Finally we'd have the undisputed 90's Welterweight Champion of the world!

Any refinements, ideas, improvements, and especially a volunteer to take this forward would be most appreciated?

What do you say? I think first we would need to establish some rules, how matches are scored, when voting would commence, whether we want a super six style or champions league knockout style competition after the first rounds, etc etc?

If it's a bad idea fair enough...
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney? Empty Re: Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

My major issue with such a tournament is the volume of fights they actually had against eachother, you could end up with Mosley against Wright where there is no discussion as to who wins.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney? Empty Re: Undisputed welterweight champion of the 90's....tourney?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

I don't mind doing it I've got plenty of spare time.

I would rather do it as a 16 though. The same format as the Euros.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:04 pm

You then have Vargas and Wright, who to my knowledge never fought at 147lbs giving them an immediate advantage over the lesser names of weight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

Wright certainly never I'm not sure about Vargas but I don't think he did.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

Good points Ghosty but it might not matter that they fought each other, especially if they're in a league as we'd have plenty to talk about still... besides not all the fights happened at welter so we'd still get the chance to vote, or even right some controversial decisions..mosely vs oscar for instance?

I have no objection if you'd like to run with it SRR. How do you want to decide the final 16? It might be a case of making up the numbers but buddy mcgirt and medrick taylor spring to mind.

any other ideas, I'm in a greement either way if it helps get this off the ground
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

Vargas is another very under rated fighter, ended up with a less than spectacular 26-5 but he was so much better than that, the only men he lost to near his best (his prime was always going to be short) were Trinidad, De La Hoya and Mosley. Aside from that he always performed very admirably against the other world level fighters, have had a quick check and he was a career light middleweight.

There are a few ways you can go about this PBK but my suggestion would be to keep it purely welterweight fighters and cutting it down to 2 groups of four but excluding Whitaker who's overlap with the others is fairly tenuous. His inclusion would also lead to run away winner in my opinion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

MM you make a good point about righting some wrongs where fights that have happened come down to personal preference of scoring.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

I don't think we should omit people because they are too good. Also in a league and depending on who is drawn in that league makes it difficult for anyone. And you never know which way people will vote on here!!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:35 pm

I don't quite see the crossover of Whitaker with the rest, he was very much an early 90's fighter who was past his best by the time he fought De La Hoya and Trinidad, everyone else is give or take of the same era.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

2 groups of 4 and no Sweet pea because he is a class apart and makes it a bit dull. Everyone votes for a top 8 in order of how they think they rank then I'll give them points per place. So 1st place would get 8 points, 2nd place 7th points etc.

The top 8 with the most points would be our 8 fighters. I'll give them numbers and get someone to pick 4 random numbers from 1-8 and that will give us our 2 groups.

I'll see how the response is to it before I decide how many fights to put on the thread at the same time. I'll start a new thread because then I can edit it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down