The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welterweight Tourney

+6
The Galveston Giant
eddyfightfan
88Chris05
Colonial Lion
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
10 posters

Go down

Welterweight Tourney Empty Welterweight Tourney

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 19 Sep - 17:47

Ok there is talk of a welter tourney happenening. Schaeffer is trying to get it up and runnning and may look to involve. Ortiz, Berto, Alexander, Malignaggi, Maidana (so i hear) and Matthysse.

That would be a pretty sweet set up if they could get it going and maybe differed the format a little from shotimes s6 to avoid some of same problems.

This would also leave Floyd and Pac Man literally with no one credible ot fight in the division.

I am all for it

Here is some below

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6983331/golden-boy-signs-devon-alexander-former-junior-welterweight-titli

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Welterweight Tourney Empty Re: Welterweight Tourney

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Sep - 17:51

Am amazed if this is a Golden Boy idea they are leaving Khan outside because seems pretty much accepted he is moving up, could leave the cupboard a bit bare when he gets up there, unless the idea is Floyd has pretty much nowhere else to go apart from Amir.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon 19 Sep - 17:56

Many of these are light welters so it looks like that division will be extremelly thin.

Its a bit less marquee than the super 6 as that was generally the best super middleweights with the exception of perhaps Bute whereas this looks to be the leftovers of two divisions that has been ripped apart by Bradley/Khan/Mayweather/Pacquaio. Options will be thin in both divisions.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 19 Sep - 18:10

Nice idea in principle, but it doesn't quite have the same aura about it as a tournament which actually includes the best in the division, rather than the men who are, for want of a better word, the also-rans at the highest level.

Nevertheless, if it comes off there will be some very interesting and competitive fights in there. I suppose it could make the possible Mayweather-Pacquiao / Mayweather-Khan match ups a little more likely, too, so I'd be willing to give it a chance.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 19 Sep - 18:28

i love the sound of this, fancy matteysse out of the bunch, think he is quite decent and been robbed in his last 2

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Sep - 19:12

Great idea although as has been pointed out it's not the divisions best. They would most likely fight each other anyhow so the tourney will give them and us fight dates way in advance(hopefully), and get it sorted quicker. If it's a sneaky way of making other matchups then i think everyone would accept it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 19 Sep - 20:28

Dont think there will be too uch interest in that the fighters in it are not big names and have been beaten recently people would prefer to see the big names in it.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 19 Sep - 21:48

im not so sure, maidana and malignaggi would generate a lot of interest, both have a decent following. berto/ortiz rematch should also generate interest, as it was a great fight last time both men down, and a lot of people think mateysse beat alexander so a rematch there would settle the score

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Sep - 0:47

Only three of those names are have actually campaigned at welter recently and they've all come up short at the highet level or lower at least once.

However it should provide
A) Some explosive fights and
B) Some eplosive rematches.

Let the fun begin!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 20 Sep - 1:53

Following on from talk of Arum signing Bradley..is there a possibility that this is a tie up of any other candidates for future Mayweather/Pacman fights. By this I mean, it seems very strange to tie up everyone outside of these 4 and then not get the matches made!! I am all for it if it means that Manny, Floyd, Bradley & Khan have no where to go but each other (and yes I do mean Manny v Floyd & Khan v Bradley...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Sep - 4:51

sounds like too much of a conspiracy theory to me owen!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down