The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Middleweight Tourney!!!

+4
jimdig
Lance
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
8 posters

Go down

Possible Middleweight Tourney!!! Empty Possible Middleweight Tourney!!!

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/news-hbo-middleweight-tourney-darchinyan-more--58046

This would be great. HBO seem really interested in the MW decision at the mo, which is great.

Get Golovkin, Macklin, Geale and Pirog in there for starters, maybe throw in a Quillan and one other and this could be great! Macklin, Golovkin are known to HBO fans now, not sure about the others but this would be great. Hope it happens!

Who would win it??? For me, Golovkin wins every fight by KO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Possible Middleweight Tourney!!! Empty Re: Possible Middleweight Tourney!!!

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

Would be a superb thing for boxing if this came off. As one of the glamour divisions, historically speaking, the Middleweight class needs this.

HBO did a similar thing, forming a Middleweight unification tournament back in 2001 between Hopkins, Trinidad, Holmes and Joppy, so there's no reason why it shouldn't happen again, unless the proposed combatants don't fancy the job. Geale seems willing to go anywhere for a payday, while nobody can question Macklin's minerals.

Hopefully, if they can get a couple of names like those on the dotted line, others will follow.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Well, they'll all make a career high pay day from it, I would think. Macklin would be game, Geale travels, Golovkin would win so should do it and then Pirog I don't know.

Great idea. I have felt HBO are showing more interest in the MW's these days, so pleased if it comes off

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:58 pm

hbo would probably need a couple of american fighters involved if they were to fund it. Quilin is quality and would be my pick to win it. I like Golovkin, but its not as if he been in with too many top fighters, and i think hes a bit overrated on here for now. macklin would probably lose every fight and still get lauded as some sort of hero for boxing with his face

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

I don't see what this tourney gets you, Martinez or Chavez Jr aren't mentioned in it because they are already considered PPV worthy, where as the rest are not.

Does the winner get a shot at PPV star? Geale has all the belts, so should have bargaining power to get that now, he fights Golovkin (his mandatory) and he can say goodbye to his belts.

Personally I just want to see Golovkin v Martinez as soon as possible, Martinez isn't getting any younger.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:08 pm

Hope it happens, doubt Pirog will commit but not a huge loss.

The MW is funny because literally 12-18 months ago it was mocked as being one of the weakest divisions in boxing on these boards and now it's a pretty exciting one!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:26 pm

jimdig wrote:I don't see what this tourney gets you, Martinez or Chavez Jr aren't mentioned in it because they are already considered PPV worthy, where as the rest are not.

Does the winner get a shot at PPV star? Geale has all the belts, so should have bargaining power to get that now, he fights Golovkin (his mandatory) and he can say goodbye to his belts.

Personally I just want to see Golovkin v Martinez as soon as possible, Martinez isn't getting any younger.

This gets them profile in the states. Profile is everything in boxing. If Golovkin does this and wins as expected, then people will call for him to fight Martinez or Chavez because he has a profile. Personally I couldn't care less if junior is in this tourney, he just got the snot beaten out of him for 11 and half rounds. The fact he is "ppv worthy" means nothing to me.

Right now none of these fighters have the profile to get Martinez or bum junior int he ring, but after a 2/3 fight spin on HBO they will have profile and will be more likely to get a big fight with Martinez

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:47 am

Pirog was touted as Martinez's next opponent in 2010/early 2011 but nothing came of it...I'd have him a 2nd favourite to win this tourney after Golovkin if it did go ahead. Don't see that much in Quillin personally, I guess he could spring a shock somewhere, whereas Geale and Macklin are good but beatable. I'd like to see Proksa get involved too.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:03 pm

i'd like to see macklin vs barker before he got tied up for a year/s

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

Barker is always injured. Don't think Macklin wants to hang around waiting for him to get fit and I can't blame him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

neither can i but its a fight i'd like to see and one that most expected to happen.

having said that macklin has proven his worth more than darren, so would really hold it against him if it didnt happen.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:48 am

This could be potentially more exciting than Super Six if it comes off.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down