The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hewitt wins Brisbane tourney

5 posters

Go down

Hewitt wins Brisbane tourney Empty Hewitt wins Brisbane tourney

Post by yloponom68 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 5:18 am

So, Hewitt has won his 1st title since 2010, beating Roger Federer in 3 sets for the win!

First thought is, having played three days in very hard conditions with the high temperatures,
well done to Lleyton, at his age, that's a great ask. Would have thought Roger would have
been far the fresher for the final.

Perhaps it was the pressure of wanting to win, that made things harder for Roger this time
around? Who knows?

One thing though, he will have had a good workout with that new racquet, playing both singles
and doubles in Brisbane. It may well make the difference in Melbourne. But no doubt will be
a great disappointment for him, not to have come away with the title, facing No 61 player in the
world.

So now, awaiting the draw for Melbourne and wondering if we'll see a quarterfinal with Roger
v Rafa? Where Ferrer will "fall," in terms of Djokovic or Nadal? etc., etc.,

Onwards and upwards - only 8 days away from Aussie Open!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Hewitt wins Brisbane tourney Empty Re: Hewitt wins Brisbane tourney

Post by lydian Sun 05 Jan 2014, 6:22 am

Just goes to show Hewitt's prowess on fast courts...it was the vast slowing down in the 00's that sent his career in spiral. Great win for Lleyton & not surprised. Good week for Fed using the new racquet. If AO is faster then Hewitt will be a threat there too.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 05 Jan 2014, 6:39 am

Great result for Hewitt, obviously Federer and some other good wins in there as well. Hewitt still has the ability of a top 30 player, maybe not the consistency.

Not sure about the age comment, they are both the same age. Do you mean Roger had more rest time between matches or easier matches?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 7:01 am

yloponom68 - as described in more detail on the other thread, I don't think the Aussie commentators (in common with large sections of the Brisbane crowd) could quite believe how poorly Federer performed in the opening set.

I guess there was always the possibility that if Lleyton could hit enough clean balls over two sets, on a day when the Fed was (mostly) but a shadow of himself, then Lleyton would eventually grind out another win over him ; and that combination of circumstances just happened to come today.

Federer did look somewhat frustrated with himself in not taking a title for which he was the clear favourite ; but ironically I actually think that a loss to a younger top-tenner would have bothered him more than this defeat to someone like Hewitt of contemporary vintage. Plus...... it IS only a 250 of course !

lydian - yes, I believe Fed will see this overall as a good practice week with the new racquet. And although you will be a far better judge than me, there seemed little sign that the racquet was the real cause of his below-par showing this afternoon. Could not listen to any interviews/pressers, so not aware if the back was in fact an issue, as hinted at by one of the pro commentators during the match itself.

As for Hewitt ...... yes, great for him to hold a trophy again (of any sort !) after so many fallow years. But in all honesty I can't see him getting beyond R3 at the AO - and even that might need a favourable draw......

Meanwhile here in Oz, Fed has been charming the media & fans since his arrival in the country and sports TV channels today were heavily promoting his charity match vs JWT later in the week.

HB - I suspect Fed had LESS rest time as he progressed to the SF in doubles, and also got himself into a 3 set tussle with Chardy in yesterday's singles SF.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 05 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

yloponom68 wrote:So, Hewitt has won his 1st title since 2010, beating Roger Federer in 3 sets for the win!

First thought is, having played three days in very hard conditions with the high temperatures,
well done to Lleyton, at his age, that's a great ask. Would have thought Roger would have
been far the fresher for the final.

Perhaps it was the pressure of wanting to win, that made things harder for Roger this time
around? Who knows?

One thing though, he will have had a good workout with that new racquet, playing both singles
and doubles in Brisbane. It may well make the difference in Melbourne. But no doubt will be
a great disappointment for him, not to have come away with the title, facing No 61 player in the
world.

So now, awaiting the draw for Melbourne and wondering if we'll see a quarterfinal with Roger
v Rafa? Where Ferrer will "fall," in terms of Djokovic or Nadal? etc., etc.,

Onwards and upwards - only 8 days away from Aussie Open!

The first time I saw Hewitt in 2001 I was convinced this guy is a big talent, some how the talent never translated into a success level I or for that sake many hoped for, ask Del Potro he never like to face Hewitt, to some extent it was brilliance and magic of Fed that kept Hewitt from winning a lot many in his prime, is Hewitt capable of surprises at 35? yes if he plays till that age, but it would stop there I don't expect him to win anything big from here on.

The time has come for Fed to hang up his boots, given his success its very difficult to leave this world of fame  Sad , but sorry Fed time has come  kiss 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down