The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem

+16
davidemore
Josiah Maiestas
Sugar Floyd Louis
KingMonkey
DaveVDK
Mr Bounce
UpandUnder
Gordy
eddyfightfan
djlovesyou
SharkSoul
PPVxHOTTY
horizontalhero
The Galveston Giant
owen10ozzy
RANDY77
20 posters

Go down

Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem Empty Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem

Post by RANDY77 Fri 22 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

According to Eddie Hearn on Twitter...

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem Empty Re: Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 22 Jun 2012, 9:20 pm

I said it on athread with regards to Larry failing.

This problem is strife and I wouldnt be surprised if around 70% of the very TOP names in boxing are doing some kind of PED or have done so.

They need to introduce Randon drug testing, Olympic style.

Interestingly I was listening to the Chair of the BBBoC on Ringside and he mentioned that 169 tests were carried out in British boxing over the last 12 months. That included both random and pre/post fight testing.

I was shocked...not just because the amount was so small but also because he seemed to genuinly think that those kind of numbers were in the long term going to change things.

I would really hope that all of the sanctioning bodies and commisions etc come together and if needs be spend a large budget on cleaning out this sport in the coming months.

Boxers should be being tested between 15-20 times a year.

Tennis players are tested on average almost thirty times a year and they are merely hitting a ball to one another.

These guys are punching each other in the face!!

Really is a major dark cloud hanging over the sport and im fearful that it may be too late in the day to save it.

Sad thing is, and Jim Watt touched on it, their has been a feeling that drugs have been rife for the past 20 years. Now the evidence is suggesting that it may well have been.....

It isnt just harming those caught but everyone else because if more keep coming out then every fighter from the mid 90's onwards will have a question mark as to whether they were drug free or not!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem Empty Re: Tarver fails drugs test...How big is this problem

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

Fully agree Ozzy, if boxers are not even up to the same level of testing as non contact sports such as tennis that is a disgrace.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

I would say they are all at it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

Funny, is it not, that when Floyd started demanding that his opponents agree to Olympic style testing, a lot of fans thought he was looking for an excuse to dodge fighting Pacquaio, and was being an arrogant prat, now whilst he is an arrogant prat, his stance seems to be more an more sensible and understandable. I think that more champions should start to make the same demands- it's their sport, and their health and seeing as the clowns that make up all of the governing bodies seem unable to do anything about it, some one needs to.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

Agree fully with Ozzy and don't Tour De France riders get tested during race, and theirs this nonsense that it weakens you well how come Usain Bolt hasn't been weakened etc.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Fri 22 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm

I believe that we should definately support those that ask for Olympic style testing to be initiated within the sport. As much as I don't like Floyd outside of the ring he is onto something here.

Then again on the flipside if someone as big as 'Money' is calling for it to happen and nothing is getting done about it then there isn't much hope for anyone else getting the ball rolling.

The news coming out over the past weeks/months about the failures of those taking the drugs tests is turning fans away and then to top it off you see some of the judging decisions made recently I don't blame anyone for switching to UFC/Other contact sports.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 22 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:

Tennis players are tested on average almost thirty times a year and they are merely hitting a ball to one another.

They're really not getting tested this much. Tennis is as bad as boxing for paying lip service to doping and dope testing, but not actually wanting to catch anyone.

It's so easy to get away with doping these days, these guys are pretty stupid for getting busted for old school stuff. I would imagine there are an awful lot of people cheating in boxing.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jun 2012, 11:57 pm

Drug testing in tennis is a joke.

Even if a high profile player is accidentally caught, the ATP allows them to make up any excuse to avoid punishment. Just look at the cases of Rusedski, Gasquet and Agassi.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:28 am

i have a feeling more and more names are guna come out over the month or so

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:59 am

To the responses who have essentially defended either those in bocing or those in boxing who have been cottended onto in the last 12 months i will give my response tomorrow...when I am

a) more sober

b) more logical...

But the fact people are still trying to defend the sport based on others sports 'drug testing' not only worries me but makes me think that that the casual fan isnt even that worried about cleaning up the sport!! SAD!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:31 am

I think that most if not all of the guys on the forum are for the sport to be cleansed of those who darken it Owen.

I personally find it offensive when some people try to mis-direct the problem in boxing with drugs onto other sports. Something along the lines of 'Boxing isn't the only sport that has a problem with drug abuse' blah blah blah yadda yadda.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:50 am

Good lord, another one?? Maybe they need to start testing to see who ISNT on steroids.

Boxing is fast becoming a joke.

This reminds me of baseball in the U.S. For ages they were relectant to cnfront steroid abuse because the fear was once they started it would emerge that everyone was doing it!

Boxing is dying and cant afford this continuos bad publicity. Maybe this is why the problem has not been tackled.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:18 am

2012 has been a terrible year for boxing so far....full of drug scandals, bad decisions, fights not being made and tv cutbacks.

Some good will towards the sport generated by mayweather cotto and Froch bute has been overshadowed.

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:54 am

Ay least they're actually being caught now and something is actually being done. What I would like to see is ALL (and I mean ALL) the boxing boards/councils/associations/federations etc sit down together and thrash out a sport-wide standard of testing that takes place before and after EVERY fight. It's the only way forward or boxing is dead in the water.

The thing that I only find mildly amusing by this is the statements the caught boxers give - they say something along the lines of "I have no idea how such a substance came to be in my system and I will not rest until I got to the bottom of this" when they actually mean "Oh b****ks I got caught and my career's dead in the water - I am gonna fire that Doctor!"

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Sat 23 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

When you think about it, it's completely crazy that it's only now Olympic style drug testing is being talked about.
Until Floyd brought it up I really did just assume boxers were tested year round and never really thought about it in depth.

The fact that VADA or whatever it's called has only been used a few times and has already yielded 2 positive results shows just how deep the problem is.
Statistically let's say 10 fights have used the blood testing, although I'm not even sure it's been that many, two positive results mean 20% of boxers at this level potentially could be doping.
I obviously know this is just speculative and not enough tests to base statistics on but still gives a snapshot of how deep this problem could be.

Potentially 20% of the top ten p4p boxers could be juicing, or even more!

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:44 am

Just putting this out there, but is there any boxer testing positive who isnt American?

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by RANDY77 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

On Ringside this week it was said either Donaire or Gamboa (sorry memory doesn't serve me too well here) had agreed to WADA testing. This is where he has to inform the authorities of a location he will be for one hour for all 365 days a year. If it is this simple to arrange, I for one will be looking at any fighter who does not look to follow suit as a possible user.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:22 am

Lou DiBella has been pretty vocal on twitter asking fans to make a stand of some sorts to help get boxing back on the road to recovery. He speaks a lot of sense that guy, I like him, but God knows what we're supposed to do.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

owen10ozzy wrote:To the responses who have essentially defended either those in bocing or those in boxing who have been cottended onto in the last 12 months i will give my response tomorrow...when I am

a) more sober

b) more logical...

But the fact people are still trying to defend the sport based on others sports 'drug testing' not only worries me but makes me think that that the casual fan isnt even that worried about cleaning up the sport!! SAD!!

Laugh I love the honesty.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

DaveVDK wrote:Just putting this out there, but is there any boxer testing positive who isnt American?
Larry Olubamiwo.. though it wouldn't surprise me if he went to the Americas to get his supplies. Shocked
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

I don't think we should start pointing the finger just yet. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg unfortunately.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

I'm amazed at how naieve people were before these recent revelations regarding boxing and PED use.

PED use is rife in all sports just as cheating is rife in life.

Boxing, a sport which relies on explosive power, endurance, speed etc, is an ideal candidate for widespread PED use, particularly since it is already one of the most corrupt sports in the world and also has one of the weakest PED testing programmes.

What did you expect? I expect most boxers are juicing in some form or another. Why would they not, given the environment in which they operate?

Sadly this is a shambolic state of affairs. I've never been so disillusioned with ANY sport before. With boxing it seems to be a catalouge of scandals one after the other. Really just can't be bothered with it anymore. It's starting to feel as legitimate as American wrestling.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

Ban them all, utter scandal. Scumbags.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

I said earlier (on Larry thread) that boxers who are juicing should be charged with intent to assault. By its very nature boxing is a dangerous and violent sport. Artificially enhancing yourself to commit more violence in a deliberate manner should not only be banned but should require criminal charges.

If the boxer unwittingly took it, then the person who administered it to him should face criminal charges, with the boxer banned for at least 4 years.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

Can someone please explain why it is taking so long for the results to come back from these drug tests, tarver tested positive from his pre fight sample so before the fight happened they had the evidence he was cheating then if kayode would have been injured in the fight I am sure they would have found a way of speeding up the tests. It's ridiculous I am in the forces and get tested at least twice a year myself and it doesn't take that long for our results to come back.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

It begs the question as to the purpose of pre fight tests seeing as the fight goes ahead anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:22 pm

they dont want to cancel a show and lose money, they would rather have the fighter face the consequences at a later date

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

Did they know the result of the test before the fight?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:26 am

It was only announced he failed on Friday, just short of 3 weeks after the fight so I doubt they knew beforehand. It will be interesting to see how quick his b sample comes back. It appears as though the drug tests are just a formality they must do before the fight and the fight goes ahead regardless of whether results are in or not, boxers need more regularly than any sportspeople. I just fear the recent 4 positive tests are only scratching the surface.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:52 am

As you say boxing needs more tests than other sports due to its inherent dangers. But a fighter has to be clean before he steps into the ring. Finding out after the event could be too late.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:58 am

It is shocking that someone can test positive and then still fight. They need the governing bodies to test fighters all year round if they are ranked in their top 20 and if the fighters refuse all year random testing then don't rank them.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

I don't think its testing positive when the results are still unknown. If a test is taken 36 hours before the fight, the result should be known before the fight. They should be able to test all fighters immediately. Lives are at risk in boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:50 am

The results need to be shown before the fight if they are pre-fight testing. All fights should have pre-fight and post-fight testing. All fights should be tested period. What the f*** are the powers that be doing?

If they start to lose serious money they will act. Hopefully now that happens. Lifetime bans are required. I am sick of this.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down