The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tharanga fails doping test

5 posters

Go down

tharanga fails doping test  Empty tharanga fails doping test

Post by Fernando Mon 30 May 2011, 8:13 pm

Sri Lanka batsman Upul Tharanga failed a random doping test during the recent Cricket World Cup.

The left-handed player has been informed by the International Cricket Council (ICC) that he tested positive for a banned steroid.

In confirming the news, the Sri Lankan sports ministry added that a national inquiry would also be held.

Spokesman Harsha Abeykoon said: "The sports minister (Mahindananda Aluthgamage) named a three-member panel to launch a domestic investigation and as a first step they will record a statement from Tharanga at the earliest opportunity."

not someone i would of expected to fail a drugs test but it seems to become more common in sports nowadays

sorry if this has been put up already ( send pm and ill delete it)
source: sky sports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

tharanga fails doping test  Empty Re: tharanga fails doping test

Post by Liam_Main Mon 30 May 2011, 8:25 pm

Heard about Tharanga failing a drugs test but not the whole team being forced for a inquiry.

Interesting news,Sri Lanka could be in abit bother if any more players are found guilty.

Even Cricketers are at it now!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by monsta666 Tue 31 May 2011, 12:56 am

Tharanga was caught taking prednisolone and this drug is actually used for treating asthma (as well as a range of other medical conditions). Tharanga was suffering from asthma and was taking the drug for this reason. It is a banned substance from the WADA list however although I would say the performance enhancing effects are rather minimal if at all. Indeed, they may even have detrimental effects on performance as it is possible they inhibit/disrupt the body's natural testosterone production and will weaken the bones which will increase an athletes susceptibility to injury. But they are a steroid drug hence the ban.

It is possible Tharanga can escape the ban, or at least have his sentence vastly reduced, if he shows that he needs the drug for a medical illness. He would have probably avoided any mishaps to begin with if he filed a therapeutic use exemption form before taking the drug.

monsta666

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 31 May 2011, 2:37 pm

Monsta - Is it a drug for which a TUE would be accepted? If so, I'd expect only a very short suspension to be imposed (3 to 6 months) rather than the mandated 2 years.

Does sound like an inadvertant or ignorant positive rather than any attempt to gain a performance advantage, so I do have a bit of sympathy for the guy. Just shows though that all professional sports people need to take great care if they are taking any medication.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Hienrich Tue 31 May 2011, 7:48 pm

I am not surprised you know - I reckon that like match fixing drug use in cricket is something we have barely scratched the surface of...I thought the BCCI's opposition to the WAPDA code, which I think is what has caught out Tharanga, was downright suspicious - I would not be surprised if some major stars are caught out in the near future.

Hienrich

http://www.ukamericansportsfans.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down