The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Mealamu

+21
beshocked
dallym
Morgannwg
kiakahaaotearoa
LeinsterFan4life
Feckless Rogue
goneagain
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Barney McGrew did it
rodders
sugarNspikes
Thomond
HammerofThunor
ChequeredJersey
disneychilly
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
John Cregan
chewed_mintie
anotherworldofpain
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kevin Mealamu Empty Kevin Mealamu

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:23 pm

Was exceptional good when he come on for the all blacks. It seem to be not mention by anyone. Since so many Blues player getting crucified maybe is not popular to mention.

He seem so fit and also keep up with the low body driving position and lot of energy to hit the ruck despite the age.

A true great of the game! Well done Kevin!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Kevin Mealamu Empty Re: Kevin Mealamu

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

I think emack made a point about him over the weekend, he's very good in that his form or little game time for the Blues means nothing when he pulls on a black jumper, much like Ma'a Nonu.

He played well I thought for his first game back, gald to have him back too!

PS - he's gone past Fitzy's record for most NZ caps for a hooker

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm

Yes! That is right! he did go past. A quiet and humble man who not making the fuss andbout these thing! So is interesting with so many fuss make about Richie McCaw and Mils Muliaina that nobody say so much.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

He's also very good at picking fellas up and smashing them to the ground almost ending their rugby careers................

I'll remember him most for that......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

Is it not Keven?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:15 pm

I will never forgive. keven and Luke for walking out on Otahuhu and going to Papatoetoe. leaving oats in disarray, and it used to be one of the finest rugby clubs in Auckland.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 24 Jul 2012, 7:42 pm

When I was playing Papatoetoe were distinct minnows laurie. We never lost to them.
Has that also changed up there?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 24 Jul 2012, 8:06 pm

taylorman
papa toe were never in the 1st division in all the years I was playing, either, In the end Joe Roko also went to Papatoe as well as the Mealamus.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

John Cregan wrote:He's also very good at picking fellas up and smashing them to the ground almost ending their rugby careers................

I'll remember him most for that......................

Who's career ended? Could you be some more dramatic please. Sigh. It did more damage to go on TV and blubbing like a spoilt baby.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

Yup. Change the record. Heaslip's knee could have done worse. But hey, whatever takes your mind off the crap Lions team getting smashed by an awesome NZ team.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

I remembering my introduction to NZ school rugby when I get tackle on the first game and some player put the sprigs to my back and then when I try to get up some big fist punch me in the mouth and I went down again. When I was checking or my tooth came out and try to stop the blood running on my nose and lie on the ground I look up and see the the captain to the team running past and I say to him "did you see that?" and he just say "get up! you f***ing sook". So I always remember this, you have to keep care of yourself and always win the physical challenge and never admit you getting hurt to get the respect. There is never an excuse and you have to always get up smiling and say well played and then go back and use motivator to get the win. First lesson.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm

Let's not bitch about the past, but could we also not pretend that off-the-ball unnecessary premeditated spear "tackles" are in any way acceptable?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

Who said off the ball unnecessary premeditated "spear Tackles" are acceptable?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:50 pm

AWOP's comment implied it. I'm not condemning Mealamu as a person, but being so dismissive of Irish complaints and waving away the incident isn't a valid response to admittedly unnecessary snipes about the past
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:51 pm

chequered Jersey

Are you talking about that incident that happened about five years ago?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:53 pm

That was the incident being referenced by John Cregan, then AWoP then Disney
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:00 am

But that wasnt an unecessary,premeditated,off the ball "spear tackle".

But sure as hell the rest of the rugby World has paid for it a thousand times over with the overreactive "tip Tackle" law and sanctions, just because the Irish threw their toys out of the cot.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:19 am

Right we are never going to agree on that, ever, then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:48 am

No probably not, its actually so long ago that I can hardly remember what happened.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:10 am

Taylorman wrote:When I was playing Papatoetoe were distinct minnows laurie. We never lost to them.
Has that also changed up there?

The top 8 teams in Auckland played the galaher Shield quarter finals last weekend:Results were.
Marist 44 Beat College Rifles 15.
Grammar 34 beat Suburbs 7.
Ponsonby 19 beat Pakuranga 12.
University 20 beat Papatoetoe 13.
Meanwhile Oats are down playing for the Portola.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:35 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:I remembering my introduction to NZ school rugby when I get tackle on the first game and some player put the sprigs to my back and then when I try to get up some big fist punch me in the mouth and I went down again. When I was checking or my tooth came out and try to stop the blood running on my nose and lie on the ground I look up and see the the captain to the team running past and I say to him "did you see that?" and he just say "get up! you f***ing sook". So I always remember this, you have to keep care of yourself and always win the physical challenge and never admit you getting hurt to get the respect. There is never an excuse and you have to always get up smiling and say well played and then go back and use motivator to get the win. First lesson.

Fair point

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 25 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

I have an issue with it being premeditated. That gets my goat. O'Driscoll wasn't good enough to warrant a NZ strategy to take him out. No player has been.

Also it wasn't a spear tackle. It was a reckless clear out.

How can you say that you whinge?

BOD DIDN'T HAVE THE FECKING BALL.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:55 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
chequered Jersey

SEVEN years ago.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:56 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
But that wasnt an unecessary,premeditated,off the ball "spear tackle".

But sure as hell the rest of the rugby World has paid for it a thousand times over with the overreactive "tip Tackle" law and sanctions, just because the Irish threw their toys out of the cot.

Exactly - it probably cost Wales the RWC!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:15 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
chequered Jersey

SEVEN years ago.

It should never be forgotten..........one of the most cowardly acts ive ever seen on a sporting pitch. What made it worse was the fact that eiither Mealamu or Umanga never acknowledged any wrongdoing or showed any remorse...............the inaction of the officials on the day and the subsequent scandal of the "non citing" left a very poor taste in the mouth...............

BOD has always been very gracious about it and never spoke ill of either player..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

I've heard BOD whinge about it. Can't remember which article but "They could have broken my neck for all they cared" was a distinct quote among other things.

You're right to an extent. The NZRU and the players really stuffed up the aftermath. But even if both Umaga and Mealamu had been cited and suspended we still would have given the Lions the caning they had in the first place.

We got told to suck it up in 99 after France were biting and ball grabbing the whole game. That's pretty cowardly as well and the consequences of that on your nuts can have some pretty serious repercussions too. But I like to remember the irrepressible nature of the French play in the second half as well. Just as long as you don't let your anger hide the fact that you got to see the best ever test performance by a 10 in the second test.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

Is that true??? Thought he was quite bitter. He seemed a bit funny on the latest tour, almost like he wanted to punch all the kiwi's interviewing him.

The thing is, Mealamu is a warrior and AB legend (to us) and is not defined by the BOD incedent that happened seven years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

disneychilly wrote:I've heard BOD whinge about it. Can't remember which article but "They could have broken my neck for all they cared" was a distinct quote among other things.

You're right to an extent. The NZRU and the players really stuffed up the aftermath. But even if both Umaga and Mealamu had been cited and suspended we still would have given the Lions the caning they had in the first place.

We got told to suck it up in 99 after France were biting and ball grabbing the whole game. That's pretty cowardly as well and the consequences of that on your nuts can have some pretty serious repercussions too. But I like to remember the irrepressible nature of the French play in the second half as well. Just as long as you don't let your anger hide the fact that you got to see the best ever test performance by a 10 in the second test.

Cheers Disney,

This is not a whinge about the Lions losing.........the All Black Team back then were awesome and yes, Carters displays were special..............

If im honest, i dislike the whole Lions project.....id prefer them to permanently retire..........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:38 am

John Cregan wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
chequered Jersey

SEVEN years ago.

It should never be forgotten..........one of the most cowardly acts ive ever seen on a sporting pitch. What made it worse was the fact that eiither Mealamu or Umanga never acknowledged any wrongdoing or showed any remorse...............the inaction of the officials on the day and the subsequent scandal of the "non citing" left a very poor taste in the mouth...............

BOD has always been very gracious about it and never spoke ill of either player..............

Thing is if I didnt come onto this forum I would have forgotten about it completely, if the Irish put the same amount of energy into improving their standard rugby, their style of play, their attack, and their defence as they do into whinging on about Brian O'Driscolls shoulder, and how bad Umaga and mealamu are they would be a lot more higher ranked than they are now.It has got now to the point where it is having a detrimental effect on Irish rugby.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

That's why I put the words in inverted commas. Anyway, I don't think it should define Mealamu but I also don't think it should be treated so dismissively- I watched a video of it and it's a pretty awful incidentthat should have been punished properly at the time but as said it was 7 years ago and shouldn't be used as the definitive thing to judge his character!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:41 am

EBOP wrote:Is that true??? Thought he was quite bitter. He seemed a bit funny on the latest tour, almost like he wanted to punch all the kiwi's interviewing him.

The thing is, Mealamu is a warrior and AB legend (to us) and is not defined by the BOD incedent that happened seven years ago.

But it is part of his past.......a shameful part.............the attack on O'Droiscoll remains one of if not the worst thing ive ever seen on a sporting field..................

I still suspect it was in retalliation to a percieved disrespect of the silly dance the AB's did before the game...........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:43 am

I don't think anyone would dispute that the All Blacks were out of this world in that series. Carter in particular. That second test I watched on Youtube recently. He was unbelievable.

I have punched fellas and stuff in rucks and things like that but what Mealamu and Umaga did was feicing cowardly and could have caused serious damage, it's in the past now but anyone who can condone that is someone I have little respect for. It doesn't define his career he is a very solid player it just disappoints me as it wasn't something they needed to do. It's in the past now and I don't think it matters at all now.

Laurie, I don't think I ever recall this coming up on this version of 606 i nthe past yeah, but you find that most Irish people stopped bringing ti up long ago.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:44 am

John cregan

What silly dance? I never knew the All Blacks did a silly dance before the game.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

John Cregan wrote:
EBOP wrote:Is that true??? Thought he was quite bitter. He seemed a bit funny on the latest tour, almost like he wanted to punch all the kiwi's interviewing him.

But it is part of his past.......a shameful part.............the attack on O'Droiscoll remains one of if not the worst thing ive ever seen on a sporting field..................

I still suspect it was in retalliation to a percieved disrespect of the silly dance the AB's did before the game...........
Yeah, but the thing is, McCaw has had his head kneed and his eyes raked multiple times, yet when we think of Irish rugby, incidents like this aren't the first things that spring to mind.

If you think the BOD thing is the worst thing you've ever seen, so be it.

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

Tana's side of the story

I was very enthusiastic going into the first test in Christchurch. I'd been looking forward to it for two years and couldn't wait to give it everything I had. Not even some of the worst weather Christchurch could throw at us could change that. Everyone knows - or thinks they know - what happened in the first 90 seconds. I went into a ruck and cleaned out Brian O'Driscoll.

I was standing over the ball trying to protect it when he bounced back to have another crack at disrupting our possession. We were tussling as he tried to get through and I grabbed his leg to try to unbalance him, a technique I'd used before and still use to this day. What I didn't realise was that Keven Mealamu was doing the same thing on the other side of the ruck. As I got one of O'Driscoll's legs up, Keven hoisted his other leg and drove him back.

He ended up with both feet off the ground, not in control of himself or the situation, a position rugby players often find themselves in. When we let him go he came down and what happened, happened. I didn't think anything of it, I just took off.

When the whistle blew and he was being attended to by his medical staff, I was completely focused on the job in hand. The game I'd been preparing for since the 2003 World Cup had just started, the pressure was on, and I was concentrating on what we were going to do next. It didn't really occur to me to go and check on what was happening in their camp. There was no conscious decision not to go over: I didn't do it then because I didn't do it, period; I'd never done it for anybody else. I was a competitive animal out there.

The flipside of that was my bedside manner when my players got injured: if I saw someone in my team on the ground, I'd say, "What's wrong with you? Just get up." I was always telling cousin Jerry that. When they carted O'Driscoll off I thought Jesus, major, then I put it out of my mind and got on with the game.

I didn't go and see him after the game but I ran into a group of their players who weren't going to the after-match function and asked Richard Hill how Brian was. He said he'd gone to hospital. Again, I didn't think anything of it. When we got back to the hotel after the dinner, Keven and I were told that we'd been cited so we had a meeting with NZRU lawyer Steve Cottrell to run through what had happened. While we were doing that, news came through that the Citing Commissioner had ruled there was no case to answer. We were relieved but not surprised; from the outset our view was that since there'd been no malice or intent, the matter shouldn't go any further.

The Lions leadership and their high-powered spin doctor Alistair Campbell wouldn't take "no case to answer" for an answer and found a way to take the matter much further. The sustained personal attack they launched against me was hard to believe and even harder to stomach. You don't want to take it personally but it's almost impossible not to when another player, a guy you had some respect for, attacks your character in the most direct and damning terms. My first thought was geez, don't be a sook; there's no use crying about it, man, it's over. On the other hand I could understand how bitterly disappointed O'Driscoll was. He would have been just like me: buzzing with anticipation, really up for it, and desperate to make a point on the field.

There was a lot of talk about the Lions' response to the haka. Someone had supposedly advised O'Driscoll to kneel down and pick a blade of grass, which he'd done, and we'd supposedly regarded that as disrespectful. The truth was we didn't care what they did. I noticed him doing it but just thought, oh, that's different. Opposition teams had tried a variety of responses and our attitude was always the same: whatever.

We didn't understand what he was doing so they were one up on us there, but it's rubbish to suggest that it had anything to do with what happened at that ruck. The media tends to provide interpretations of what they think has happened, as opposed to what actually did happen, and it's often all that speculation which creates the angst and inflames the situation.

At first, the kerfuffle didn't really bother me. It was a case of, oh well that's the way it is. But it just snowballed and O'Driscoll kept going on about the fact that I hadn't rung him to say sorry. I'd actually tried to get hold of him on the Monday via the Lions' media liaison person but I never heard back. By this stage we were in Wellington and it just kept cranking up and I was getting a bit angry. I finally obtained his number and got hold of him but it wasn't a warm exchange.

He was still angry that I hadn't gone over to see how he was and once he'd got that off his chest, he accused me of being involved in a lot of off-the-ball incidents. The Lions hadn't been impressed with the way I'd played, he said, and I had to watch it. I said, "Don't talk to me about off-the-ball incidents, talk to your own players." (With all the fuss the Lions had made over the O'Driscoll incident, it had almost been overlooked that their lock Danny Grewcock, a player with a history of foul play, had been cited, found guilty, and banned for biting Keven Mealamu.) "Look at Grewcock," I said. "He's a meathead."

"Yeah, he is a meathead," he said. "You can't change that but we're better than that. We shouldn't play like those guys. We thought you were a gentleman." While he went on along those lines, I was thinking to myself, hang on, this is a game I take seriously.

And I did: I aimed to let an opponent know I was out there and get into his mind so that next time he'd have a look to see if I was coming. I'd body-check him on the way through or if I came up quickly and the pass didn't go to him, I'd still give him a little reminder that I was around so he knew that if he didn't have his wits about him, he could get hit, and hit hard. I had no qualms about it; that was how I played. That's the gamesmanship of rugby. Players sledge. I sledged a bit and did so in that game.

I was always trying to get an edge and in that respect I was no different to a lot of players. But when he started talking about off-the-ball stuff and me not being a gentleman I thought, oh, you're reaching now. I never went out to commit foul play: I didn't punch guys on the ground or stomp on them. So I said, "Oh well, mate, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm sorry for what happened to you but there was no intent in it; it was one of those unfortunate things that happen in rugby." He said, "Yeah, but you could've helped it." "Okay, mate," I said, "all the best." And that was where we left it.

Instead of trying to get on the front foot straight away, our PR strategy was to let the storm blow itself out. But it didn't blow itself out and when I eventually held a press conference a few days later it felt like a hollow exercise. By that stage I was all for just taking it on the chin and getting on with it, but our media people wanted to respond to what had become a pretty relentless and inflammatory - as in "I could have died" - campaign.

I'd been getting a lot of support from the team all week and at the press conference I was backed up by the leadership group which was great, even though the exercise itself felt like it was all a bit late. Whether it could have been nipped in the bud is a moot point given the intensity of their media blitz but for a couple of days they had the floor to themselves and they made the most of it.

Even when I was being bombarded with questions I couldn't help seeing the funny side of it: poor little me surrounded by all those big, burly forwards as if I couldn't protect myself. It was good to have my say but I wanted to do my talking on the field. Clive Woodward had talked his team up, saying they were the best prepared Lions ever and wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the 2001 Lions tour of Australia, which was a crack at Graham Henry who'd coached that team. That kind of thing - attacking our people, talking themselves up - just steeled us. We wanted to show them that they weren't as good as they thought they were and Woodward wasn't as good as he thought he was.

They started the second test very well, scoring under the posts virtually from the kick-off. I wasn't worried because we hadn't had the ball or played any rugby. My message was let's get the ball, get down there, and give it a crack. They launched another attack but this time they dropped the ball. I picked it up and gave it to Daniel Carter because I knew he'd do something with it and I was able to run off him and score. It was a team try, pure and simple. I didn't see it as some sort of personal statement - "straight back at you" - because I never felt like it was me against them.

At times, though, they seemed to think it was them against me. As a ruck broke up, Paul O'Connell loomed over me ranting and raving. As I got up, their props Julian White and Gethin Jenkins started pushing and shoving. I knew it was going to happen at some stage so I just said, "Come on, any time, just bring it." I backed away slowly looking at them and saying, "Are you going to start playing soon or what?" Later, when O'Connell went down, I went over to him as he was rolling around the ground and said, "Mate, don't give up now, we're just getting started." He jumped straight up. When Stephen Jones came on for Jonny Wilkinson he took the ball up yelling, "For our captain!" like something out of Braveheart. I said, "Are you serious?" You could see how they were trying to motivate themselves but it became quite laughable . I got into some of their forwards about being a bit chubby and after the game Jenkins said to Steve Hansen, who'd coached him when he'd been with Wales, "Can you tell Tana it's nothing personal, it's just the game." That was a bit rich coming from them. During the game I hadn't thought about the stuff they'd been saying about me until their players started having a crack at me. I didn't go out that night but the guys who did ran into a bunch of Lions and reckoned some of them were good guys.

Lol....FOR OUR CAPTAIN!!!!!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

Thomond wrote:I don't think anyone would dispute that the All Blacks were out of this world in that series. Carter in particular. That second test I watched on Youtube recently. He was unbelievable.

I have punched fellas and stuff in rucks and things like that but what Mealamu and Umaga did was feicing cowardly and could have caused serious damage, it's in the past now but anyone who can condone that is someone I have little respect for. It doesn't define his career he is a very solid player it just disappoints me as it wasn't something they needed to do. It's in the past now and I don't think it matters at all now.

Laurie, I don't think I ever recall this coming up on this version of 606 i nthe past yeah, but you find that most Irish people stopped bringing ti up long ago.

No it gets raised by the Irish posters every now and then I think Ive discussed it with Staggy on a couple of occassions.But I didnt even realise that its now seven years ago.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:49 am

John Cregan wrote:

An excerpt from the piece I have just posted from Tana's book...

There was a lot of talk about the Lions' response to the haka. Someone had supposedly advised O'Driscoll to kneel down and pick a blade of grass, which he'd done, and we'd supposedly regarded that as disrespectful. The truth was we didn't care what they did . I noticed him doing it but just thought, oh, that's different. Opposition teams had tried a variety of responses and our attitude was always the same: whatever.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

Fair enough Laurie, I don't remember it coming up, I thought it was a disgustign thing to do but no point arguing about it now. Everyone's kissed and made up. Tana's excuse is a bit of bull but no matter.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

No John-the thing is I doubt Umaga and Mealamu would have known about O'Driscoll's response by picking up the blade of grass. Even if they did think it was disrespectful it definitely wouldn't generate such animosity from the players. I saw the Aussies get into a huddle and snub the haka in 1996. Did any Australian get seriously injured? No. What happened though? We smashed them. The only consequence would have been to motivate the All Blacks more and for you to suggest that the cleanout was premeditated is quite frankly offensive. I'm not condoning it at all but some of the attacks are on the other side of where I believe the line is and I'm sticking up for Umaga and Mealamu to that extent.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:53 am

In what way is tana's excuse Bullshxx?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

You don't go out of your way to pick a guy and feic him down on his head, the ball is out of the ruck when it happens. That's a cheap shot. The whole it was in the heat of the moment thing , nothing could have been down is a load of rubbish.

This will spiral out of control so I'm going to suggest you reply and leave it at that. I'm over it, I think BOD is over it and most of us are past it at this stage.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

Nah thats ok Thomond , I think the fact that the IRB had to invent a new name for the tackle, some what supports my opinion that it was nothing like spear tackle in the first place.

Anyway back to topic, one thing that can never be doubted about Mealamu is the respest and regard all his team mates hold him in, at all levels of the game of rugby.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

"Cowardly" interesting word. I don't think so. They were just pump up to play the game, went in to clear out hard and encountered in defence just BOD, not a big guy. The play move on and they just drop him and follow the ball. Sometimes in rugby unfortunate accident just happen. If he had fallen less on one shoulder we would not even remembering the incident. It's just some unfortunate thing that happen in the contact sport. I can't see how "Cowardly" come into it at all.

But goodness me, some Irish fans can certainly nurse a grudge and keep it warm!

Some "Cowardly Acts" to consider:

#1 Simon Shaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktz59Uvpd4o
#2 Simon Shaw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-Cx4o1xCk
#3 Jamie Heaslip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HvvvnlGQI
#4 Quade Cooper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9RYZStDdDI
#5 Rougerie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQkwYfqDnU
#6 Dylan Hartley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ygseQDp_o
#7 Richie Rees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRrtcEAXi8
#8 Andy Powell : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Q8IDTTH7w
#9 Shalk Burger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9KuQVvmoqc
#10 Martin Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKHtcIdD4M&feature=fvst

And so on. It happen all the time in rugby these "Cowardly" things. So why this one make so much fuss and lingering? when it is not even so "Cowardly" as these other acts?

But consider this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVVprhNV550

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:08 am

Hmm, the way Tana describes it, it's hard to see how he could get turned completely upside-down, which is what happened- the drive onto the shoulder is unfortunate but understandable in a game involving such powerful men, but that's not what the "clear-out" looks like. Any way, it's in the past and equally unsavoury incidents have occurred as recently as this year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

He was a fine player no doubt about it, that will leave a black mark on him in the eyes of many Northern Hemisphere fans and maybe players, no need for it off the ball, cynical, illegal etc. I liked him as a player but lost a good deal of respect for him and Umaga after it.

I don't think they inveneted new tackle laws because of this Laurie mainly as it wasn't a tackle. It should also be added that I lost a lot of respect for Heaslip after his act of idiocy and cynicism. Don't think this is just an anti Kiwi rant. I have friends, cousins , and aunts living there. Have to visit at soem stage.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Jeez Thormond havent you heard of the "Tip tackle"?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

I have heard of the Tip tackle (sure do you not remember the Ireland v Wales game last year!) but that wasn't a tackle! Technically speaking it was a clearout. Did it have much effect on the laws? I wouldn't have thought it did, but if it did fair enough.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

Thomond
Have you ever wondered how come rugby could suevive for over 130 years and have no such thing as a"Tip tackle" then all of a sudden O'Driscoll flips upside down, and got his smashed by a couple of ABs, the Irish get all up in arms about it, and go on and on and on etc. In an attempt to shut them up the IRB invents the "tip tackle", and its been the biggest blight on the game ever since. to the point of being the determing factor of the outcome of a number of games.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

Yes I agree. It cost Wales the RWC is what they are saying in the Valleys.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:25 am

Yeah, introducing the tip tackle for the BOD incident was pointless because it doesn't rely correspond at all. The BOD incident, whatever it was, wasn't a tackle
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next