The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana

+8
Sugar Boy Sweetie
ArchBritishchris
Boxtthis
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
12 posters

Go down

Maidana Empty Maidana

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 3:42 pm

Did the Khan fight make him look better that he actually is? Does a one eyed, past it, over-weight Morales running him close put Maidana's close loss to Khan in its place or it is a case of styles making fights?

azania

Back to top Go down

Maidana Empty Re: Maidana

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 3:46 pm

Think Maidana underestimated Erik and maybe never trained as hard as he should have. He is a good fighter looked a lot more crude than he actually is though. My opinion on him hasn't changed wouldn't pick him to beat Khan, Bradley, Alexander, Kotelnik or Judah.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Think Maidana underestimated Erik and maybe never trained as hard as he should have. He is a good fighter looked a lot more crude than he actually is though. My opinion on him hasn't changed wouldn't pick him to beat Khan, Bradley, Alexander, Kotelnik or Judah.

Juday would be fun to watch. His chin is more fragile than Khans.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

azania wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Think Maidana underestimated Erik and maybe never trained as hard as he should have. He is a good fighter looked a lot more crude than he actually is though. My opinion on him hasn't changed wouldn't pick him to beat Khan, Bradley, Alexander, Kotelnik or Judah.

Yeah but he's been working on his defence with Pernell Whittaker and it's made a difference. If Ortiz can floor Maidana and an over the hill Morales can have him on wobbly legs a couple of times Judah would take his head off. Judah is the biggest hitting LWW imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

Yeah but he's been working on his defence with Pernell Whittaker and it's made a difference. If Ortiz can floor Maidana and an over the hill Morales can have him on wobbly legs a couple of times Judah would take his head off. Judah is the biggest hitting LWW imo.

I enjoy watching Judah. His unpredictability is fun. He hits big and on any given night can take any of the other belt holders. I fear that he may not be on the "who wants him" list unless he brings in huge dollars.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

He brings good cash to the table. The American public haven't given up on him just yet. Could see Khan or Bradley taking him on next because it would do good buisness. Don't think he would beat either one but I would be cheering him on.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:40 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:He brings good cash to the table. The American public haven't given up on him just yet. Could see Khan or Bradley taking him on next because it would do good buisness. Don't think he would beat either one but I would be cheering him on.

I cant see Khan going anywhere near him to be honest. Roach is too wily for that. He knows the risks involved with Judah and that Judah is possibly faster that Khan and with better and more varied skills. If Judah's head is right, he would be a serious contender in the p4p stakes.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:43 pm

Judah says he has found god and is making off for wasted time. I'm skeptical though not about the god stuff that's his more about the wasted time. It would be a good fight for Khan a tough one but if he beat Judah his stock in America would be high putting him in the driving seat for the Bradley fight which I don't see happening at the moment.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:49 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Judah says he has found god and is making off for wasted time. I'm skeptical though not about the god stuff that's his more about the wasted time. It would be a good fight for Khan a tough one but if he beat Judah his stock in America would be high putting him in the driving seat for the Bradley fight which I don't see happening at the moment.

I'd love to see that fight happen. But I doubt it will. There's a kind of Project Khan and risking him with Judah is not part of that plan imo. Roach has built up a system of high reward fights with little risks. The best do not always fight the best unless they absolutely have to.

That's the problem with so many belts.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

Judah is 33 and wants the big fight now. He brings cash to the table and that's the big factor for me. Look at Khans next fight not being ppv could also work in Judahs favour.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:00 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Judah is 33 and wants the big fight now. He brings cash to the table and that's the big factor for me. Look at Khans next fight not being ppv could also work in Judahs favour.

Yep, khan's next fight is not the best. I bleieve his fight after that would be against Bradley who imo offers less in terms of risk that Judah. The business that is boxing will take over here. Were Khan to lose to Judah, his stock stateside would fall like a lead baloon.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:07 pm

I think Bradley beats Khan, Khan is very indisciplined and will try and scrap with Bradley and that suits Bradey. But I would fancy Khan against Judah but would love to see Judah KO Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:16 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:I think Bradley beats Khan, Khan is very indisciplined and will try and scrap with Bradley and that suits Bradey. But I would fancy Khan against Judah but would love to see Judah KO Khan.

I beg to differ. Khan beats Bradley for me. Speed and that Bradley has been put down a few times before. Khan will also take Zab, but will be close and a wildly entertaining fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Can't argue with Khan being quicker but I don't think he hits any harder than Bradley and Khan has been KOd before its not as if he has a solid chin. It's his discipline that's the problem. He was told to box Maidana and keep him at range but the first time he gets caught gets all hot headed and starts scrapping and that's Bradleys world. Lets not forget against Maidana he could have lost some refs would have stopped that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

styles makes gihts applies here

morales is more ring savy than khan and did some good work when on the ropes ocassionally turning maidana, and firing down the pipe

he looked as good in defeat at times than kahn in victory.

BUT

Khan would murder Morales with his speed and punch output

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 10 Apr 2011, 5:39 pm

I pick Bradley over khan also. Maidana managed to outbox khan for parts of their fight. Khans defence if very poor. He jumps around with alot of movement but always slows down. Bradley is harder to tag than maidana, has better footwork than maidana, better footwork, quicker hands and is more accurate. Bradley may not be an explosive puncher but he is physically strong and can bully his opponents. He gets stronger as the round goes on and his high stamina will be very useful in beating khan. I'm still not sold on khans chin, as I think maidanas power is slightly overated and was thowing arm punches in the 10th that had little power in them.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 10 Apr 2011, 8:02 pm

To be 100% fair to Khan he has said he will absolutely clear out the divison before moving up, which could possibly mean a rematch with Maidana a fight with Judah beating the Paul "We think he might just be up at World Level" McCloskey, and obviously taking out Bradley, don't know if there's a point in taking on Alexander imo... Especially watching the contrast with how Khan dealt with Kotelnik and Alexander did, didn't think I'd say this about Khan compared to most fighters, but I think he's actually too physical, as for Maidana struggling against Morales, GIVE MORALES SOME EFFING CREDIT FOR A START!
My goodness he was absolutely great and the fact is a lot of you guys look too much at entangables, not boxing skill and experience (This isn't an attack by me on you guys, I love you all really) but looking at the fight I do genuinely believe Maidana completely underestimated him, and Morales was in the best shape he could possibly be in, and the boxing technique was 100% correct from Morales, great counterpunching, compared to Maidana who tore in trying to have an early night without much tought and almost punched himself out early (Tying into him not being properly prepared) IMO I think Khan beats all of these guys, Judah tires out too easy now and I don't think he's 100% commited or as fast as Khan. I think Khan would blow him out, genuinely...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 8:16 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be 100% fair to Khan he has said he will absolutely clear out the divison before moving up, which could possibly mean a rematch with Maidana a fight with Judah beating the Paul "We think he might just be up at World Level" McCloskey, and obviously taking out Bradley, don't know if there's a point in taking on Alexander imo... Especially watching the contrast with how Khan dealt with Kotelnik and Alexander did, didn't think I'd say this about Khan compared to most fighters, but I think he's actually too physical, as for Maidana struggling against Morales, GIVE MORALES SOME EFFING CREDIT FOR A START!
My goodness he was absolutely great and the fact is a lot of you guys look too much at entangables, not boxing skill and experience (This isn't an attack by me on you guys, I love you all really) but looking at the fight I do genuinely believe Maidana completely underestimated him, and Morales was in the best shape he could possibly be in, and the boxing technique was 100% correct from Morales, great counterpunching, compared to Maidana who tore in trying to have an early night without much tought and almost punched himself out early (Tying into him not being properly prepared) IMO I think Khan beats all of these guys, Judah tires out too easy now and I don't think he's 100% commited or as fast as Khan. I think Khan would blow him out, genuinely...

Don't underestimate Super Zab Judah. He has re-dedicated himself and is now trained by Pernell Whittaker who has made a difference.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:54 pm

Khan just can't fight on the inside. It's as simple as that. He can't even effectively tie an opponent up. How many times did you see him weakly holding on to one of Maidana's arms while he ate uppercuts? His defence has improved under Roach, no doubt about that. At least he has his guard up in between his super-fast combo flurries now. But, the thing is that, once someone closes up the distance he either tries to run - often in straight lines (which leaves him to get tagged with looping shots such as the one that Maidana landed in the 10th) or he attempts one of his really poor holds (leaving him to get tagged with short shots and uppercuts).

This is the reason why Morales looked so good against Maidana, because he's really wily, experienced, and knows how to hold and turn someone at close quarters. If you know how to fight on the inside then you are not under so much pressure from a relentless juggernaught like Maidana.

By contrast, Khan really did feel the pressure, which means he is far more prone to panic. There are actually points in the Khan-Maidana fight where Khan is almost turning his back to run so that he can get back to his favourite distance. Khan is a long-range, ambush and flurry fighter only. In fact, with his combination of foot speed, handspeed, relative power, and punch variety he is one of the best (if not the best) in the world right now at this type of fighting. It's just the fact that he's almost completely missing the short distance/inside part of his game (barring a neat little tight uppercut that he's good at - and that incidentally may be useful against a head-down Bradley style attack). I believe Roach will be working hard to try to shore up these glaring failings with every training camp - indeed I always note in videos how he tries to teach Khan to turn his opponent in order to get back to jabbing distance.

I can almost understand why Khan believes that he could beat Mayweather some time in the future. If Khan were able to keep to his favoured distance then I think that he would UD Floyd. However the thing is that Floyd is so good at reading opponents and making adjustments that he would simply close the distance and catch Khan with every short punch in the book - with his ability to slip punches and get his own off in return, Floyd is a highly capable inside fighter.

I heard a few people say that Khan isn't great at following a game plan because he gets hot headed and wants to fight back. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think what people are seeing is the fact that Khan only has one style of fighting and that he gets in a serious panic if made to fight in a different way. He trades back because he doesn't know what else to do. This is why Maidana, who has decent footspeed, who throws long looping shots, and who likes to rough you up on the inside, was able to panic Khan. Khan will do well against boxers that have a serious speed disparity (which was what he thought about Maidana - but it turned out the disparity was almost not enough). He will also do well against boxers that allow him his distance (e.g. Kotelnik or Malignaggi). As for Maidana, he'll give anyone a decent fight because of his power, heart, and decent enough speed (when it comes to closing the distance) but will never look quite as fearsome or effective against boxers that don't panic at his relentlessness i.e. the real pros with real ring IQ. He panicked Khan, he panicked Ortiz, he couldn't panic Morales.

Khan needs to sort out at least a few of his glaring flaws and maybe some measure of increased poise and ring IQ will follow. He really should be able to destroy Bradley because of the assets he has, but Bradley, who's not particularly outstanding, but who does no one thing badly, excels in terms of calmness, confidence, and ring IQ. For that reason it's an up in the air fight. I think Bradley UDs Maidana. But the speed disparity between Khan and Morales is so much that I could only see a Khan victory in that one (I think most people have said that).

I reckon that Michael Gomez summed Khan up best when he called him "a world class fighter with world class vulnerabilities". That was just before the Prescott KO. Certainly those vulnerabilities have lessened under Roach, but the quality of the opponent is increasing and the glaring flaws are still most definitely there.

Wow, a seriously long post - just destroyed the last half hour of my Monday!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

We've seen plenty of veterans put on decent showings in recent times. Morales may be 36, but he still has the ring skills, canniness and experience. Maidana is a decent enough boxer, his power and disregard for the rules undoubtedly drag him further up the table. He's not a bad little boxer as well, but he doesn't have the ring craft of Bradley. In the past fighters have been able to box against Maidana, he's the type of guy who outfights an opponent rather than shuts them out. Morales can still box to some degree, he's always going to be competitive in a boxing match.

Judah does present a tough prospect, but because of Khan and Bradley's speed and relative youth, i'd plump for the latter two in a contest. At the moment, Maidana is an interm champion and may desire holding a unified title. Would he fancy a crack at Judah? Difficult fight to call. He only just lost out to Khan who fought on the backfoot most of the time. For the first half Judah may allude him and be successful on the counter, but I reckon Maidana would catch up with him in the second half. Still, wouldn't be to suprised to see the result go the other way.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:51 pm

Judah barely got past Matthyse - in a fight I think he lost - I reckon there's every chance of Maidana catching up to him. Judah would know he was in a fight, that's far sure (just as Khan knew).

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:51 am

prettyboy1304 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:To be 100% fair to Khan he has said he will absolutely clear out the divison before moving up, which could possibly mean a rematch with Maidana a fight with Judah beating the Paul "We think he might just be up at World Level" McCloskey, and obviously taking out Bradley, don't know if there's a point in taking on Alexander imo... Especially watching the contrast with how Khan dealt with Kotelnik and Alexander did, didn't think I'd say this about Khan compared to most fighters, but I think he's actually too physical, as for Maidana struggling against Morales, GIVE MORALES SOME EFFING CREDIT FOR A START!

Don't underestimate Super Zab Judah. He has re-dedicated himself and is now trained by Pernell Whittaker who has made a difference.

Still not sold yet to be honest mate, I know he has started his training regime to work on his defensive frailties, but I just can't see Khan losing to him, can you imagine judah fighting at the pace the Maidana - Khan was at for 12 rounds, he was gassed at 6 with FMJ!, plus he's older now! He'd need to do a big win if he perhaps has that outside shot of taking on Bradley (which I doubt) to sell me that he is still alive and kicking!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:58 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Khan just can't fight on the inside. It's as simple as that. He can't even effectively tie an opponent up. How many times did you see him weakly holding on to one of Maidana's arms while he ate uppercuts? His defence has improved under Roach, no doubt about that. At least he has his guard up in between his super-fast combo flurries now. But, the thing is that, once someone closes up the distance he either tries to run - often in straight lines (which leaves him to get tagged with looping shots such as the one that Maidana landed in the 10th) or he attempts one of his really poor holds (leaving him to get tagged with short shots and uppercuts).

This is the reason why Morales looked so good against Maidana, because he's really wily, experienced, and knows how to hold and turn someone at close quarters. If you know how to fight on the inside then you are not under so much pressure from a relentless juggernaught like Maidana.

By contrast, Khan really did feel the pressure, which means he is far more prone to panic. There are actually points in the Khan-Maidana fight where Khan is almost turning his back to run so that he can get back to his favourite distance. Khan is a long-range, ambush and flurry fighter only. In fact, with his combination of foot speed, handspeed, relative power, and punch variety he is one of the best (if not the best) in the world right now at this type of fighting. It's just the fact that he's almost completely missing the short distance/inside part of his game (barring a neat little tight uppercut that he's good at - and that incidentally may be useful against a head-down Bradley style attack). I believe Roach will be working hard to try to shore up these glaring failings with every training camp - indeed I always note in videos how he tries to teach Khan to turn his opponent in order to get back to jabbing distance.

I can almost understand why Khan believes that he could beat Mayweather some time in the future. If Khan were able to keep to his favoured distance then I think that he would UD Floyd. However the thing is that Floyd is so good at reading opponents and making adjustments that he would simply close the distance and catch Khan with every short punch in the book - with his ability to slip punches and get his own off in return, Floyd is a highly capable inside fighter.

I heard a few people say that Khan isn't great at following a game plan because he gets hot headed and wants to fight back. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think what people are seeing is the fact that Khan only has one style of fighting and that he gets in a serious panic if made to fight in a different way. He trades back because he doesn't know what else to do. This is why Maidana, who has decent footspeed, who throws long looping shots, and who likes to rough you up on the inside, was able to panic Khan. Khan will do well against boxers that have a serious speed disparity (which was what he thought about Maidana - but it turned out the disparity was almost not enough). He will also do well against boxers that allow him his distance (e.g. Kotelnik or Malignaggi). As for Maidana, he'll give anyone a decent fight because of his power, heart, and decent enough speed (when it comes to closing the distance) but will never look quite as fearsome or effective against boxers that don't panic at his relentlessness i.e. the real pros with real ring IQ. He panicked Khan, he panicked Ortiz, he couldn't panic Morales.

Khan needs to sort out at least a few of his glaring flaws and maybe some measure of increased poise and ring IQ will follow. He really should be able to destroy Bradley because of the assets he has, but Bradley, who's not particularly outstanding, but who does no one thing badly, excels in terms of calmness, confidence, and ring IQ. For that reason it's an up in the air fight. I think Bradley UDs Maidana. But the speed disparity between Khan and Morales is so much that I could only see a Khan victory in that one (I think most people have said that).

I reckon that Michael Gomez summed Khan up best when he called him "a world class fighter with world class vulnerabilities". That was just before the Prescott KO. Certainly those vulnerabilities have lessened under Roach, but the quality of the opponent is increasing and the glaring flaws are still most definitely there.

Excellent post Boxtthis, thoroughly enjoyed reading and sums up most of what I've been saying about Khan for the last year. I always see the same weaknesses in Khan when he fights:

1) He is inaccurate offensively. At distance he can work a decent jab and straight combos, but when he attacks in flurries he wastes a heck of a lot of punches and energy.
2) His foot work is clumsy. As you rightly point out he tries to back off in straight lines which leaves him open to long, looping shots. But offensively he's clumsy and Paulie was able to counter up close, as was maidana when Khan rushed in. A better counter puncher like mayweather would hit him at will everytime he came forward.
3) His power is average - enough to gain his opponents respect but nothing special, and his chin remains suspect - I firmly believe he escaped the 10th with maidana not because he's suddenly got a great chin but because maidana was physically too spent to finish the job properly. If maidana couldve done the same earlier in the fight he would've closed khan out.

Opponents that stand off khan and try to box a technical fight make him look good, as he is tall and rangy at the weight with quick mobility and a nice jab. Khan can decision those kind of opponents all day long - particularly if (like Kotelnik & paulie) they arent big punchers. It's effective pressure he cannot cope with. Maidana isn't overly quick but he's a good stalking type fighter who cuts the ring off well and he had khan in all sorts of bother. The pressure negated khans jab, threw his footwork into disarray and left him open to a variety of shots on the inside. This is why I'm convinced Bradley beats Khan - he does everything maidana does but quicker, stronger and more accurately. He's also much better conditioned than maidana and always looks strong in the championship rounds. The only thing he lacks is maidanas power, but he doesnt need it to beat khan. The fact is he is too physically strong for khan up close, and too fast and accurate on the inside for khan to handle. Bradley is an excellent inside fighter who applies highly effective pressure, he's super fit and has a real physical prescence. He also throws big looping shots from distance that khan is vulnerable to. I dont see anyway khan can beat him, as his gameplan will be to jab and move and hit quick flurries, but Bradleys style will take Khans gameplan away the way maidanas did, only to better effect.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:06 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Khan just can't fight on the inside. It's as simple as that. He can't even effectively tie an opponent up. How many times did you see him weakly holding on to one of Maidana's arms while he ate uppercuts? His defence has improved under Roach, no doubt about that. At least he has his guard up in between his super-fast combo flurries now. But, the thing is that, once someone closes up the distance he either tries to run - often in straight lines (which leaves him to get tagged with looping shots such as the one that Maidana landed in the 10th) or he attempts one of his really poor holds (leaving him to get tagged with short shots and uppercuts).

Excellent post Boxtthis, thoroughly enjoyed reading and sums up most of what I've been saying about Khan for the last year. I always see the same weaknesses in Khan when he fights:

1) He is inaccurate offensively. At distance he can work a decent jab and straight combos, but when he attacks in flurries he wastes a heck of a lot of punches and energy.
2) His foot work is clumsy. As you rightly point out he tries to back off in straight lines which leaves him open to long, looping shots. But offensively he's clumsy and Paulie was able to counter up close, as was maidana when Khan rushed in. A better counter puncher like mayweather would hit him at will everytime he came forward.
3) His power is average - enough to gain his opponents respect but nothing special, and his chin remains suspect - I firmly believe he escaped the 10th with maidana not because he's suddenly got a great chin but because maidana was physically too spent to finish the job properly. If maidana couldve done the same earlier in the fight he would've closed khan out.
4) His defence and jab are "learned" rather than natural. By that I mean Roach has seen the weaknesses in khan and got him to employ a high tight guard and stiff jab to compensate. But khan is not a naturally defensively minded fighter - unlike say mayweather whose first thought is defense, with khan it doesnt happen instinctively and as such is prone to dangerous lapses when pressured where he leaves himself highly vulnerable.

Opponents that stand off khan and try to box a technical fight make him look good, as he is tall and rangy at the weight with quick mobility and a nice jab. Khan can decision those kind of opponents all day long - particularly if (like Kotelnik & paulie) they arent big punchers. It's effective pressure he cannot cope with. Maidana isn't overly quick but he's a good stalking type fighter who cuts the ring off well and he had khan in all sorts of bother. The pressure negated khans jab, threw his footwork into disarray and left him open to a variety of shots on the inside. This is why I'm convinced Bradley beats Khan - he does everything maidana does but quicker, stronger and more accurately. He's also much better conditioned than maidana and always looks strong in the championship rounds. The only thing he lacks is maidanas power, but he doesnt need it to beat khan. The fact is he is too physically strong for khan up close, and too fast and accurate on the inside for khan to handle. Bradley is an excellent inside fighter who applies highly effective pressure, he's super fit and has a real physical prescence. He also throws big looping shots from distance that khan is vulnerable to. I dont see anyway khan can beat him, as his gameplan will be to jab and move and hit quick flurries, but Bradleys style will take Khans gameplan away the way maidanas did, only to better effect.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:55 am

for me the reason maidana made such hard work against morales was purely down the heart morales showed, and the fact he isn't as washed up as was made out- he can into there to fight- and did just that.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:48 am

My opinion on this varies slightly.

Against Maidana I feel Khan wanted to show he could trade with a puncher. He obviously feels a lot of the criticism directed at him and I think he wanted to prove people wrong rather than fight to his strengths.

With the Morales fight, Maidana may have underestimated him but so did a lot of others (myself uncluded). He may have lost some speed but he was a top boxer, that isn't going to change, he knows all the tricks in the book and until his chin goes would give most fighters a good fight, especially ones that are crude technically. I had him winning the fight against Maidana, but I guess that was probably more sentiment than anything.

As for Mayweather vs Khan, Mayweather would absolutely destroy him at the moment and not only that would show everyone else what they'd need to do to beat him. Mayweather is too clever and would exploit all of Khan's weaknesses before a KO.

Khan would start well working behind the jab until Mayweather works him out and gets inside. It would only be a metter of time before Khan gets frustrated and jumps in, getting hit on the way and hitting the floor.

Khan should really wait until there are signs Mayweather is in steep decline before taking that fight. I do think Khan can (da, da, da da da da da da) clean up the division though and have a good future as probably a two weight champion.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 15 Apr 2011, 7:35 pm

I think the Victor Ortiz made him look better than he was in American eyes. His results since then haven't been great.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri 15 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

azania wrote:Did the Khan fight make him look better that he actually is? Does a one eyed, past it, over-weight Morales running him close put Maidana's close loss to Khan in its place or it is a case of styles making fights?

Morales is a great fighter, a legend, never write of a great fighter.

Maidana is a top fighter in the division and I would pick him to beat Alexander & Bradley.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down