The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yesterday on Centre Court

+9
Henman Bill
Jeremy_Kyle
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
socal1976
bogbrush
barrystar
13 posters

Go down

Yesterday on Centre Court Empty Yesterday on Centre Court

Post by barrystar Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 am

I was there yesterday and this is my take on a great day;

Federer: watched carefully for movement. Started serving at 110 but soon up to 120 and looking v. comfortable. Never properly challenged so we didn't learn much save for the odd bit of extra genius which had collective intakes of breath from CC showing there's a lot more in the locker. Very tentative moving into the net; fluffed a few volleys because he set off just that split second too late - you could see him hesitating. I still don't think we were watching this year's champ but Djoko can't afford lapses. If he gets tpast Djoko I think he'll do it.

Youzhny: never at the races but equally he stuck to his task. At one point he turned to Agassi in the box and asked how to beat Fed.

Murray: I had not seen before quite what a weakness his forehand is against the top guys. For much of the time it's not much more than a 'bunt it back and keep the rally going' shot. The drop shot looks awful when it goes wrong and Ferrer got a lot of them back, so would Djoko; perhaps its value is the uncertainty it causes? The variation between 1st and 2nd service was 50-40mph. That said, it was a good win against a very tough opponent with Murray producing some good stuff at times, particularly the 3rd set. It's just as well Nadal is not in the draw. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think we were watching this year's champ.

Ferrer: he never ever gives up and I was very impressed by his forehand. More frequently than Murray he would use it as a shot to seize the initiative by putting vicious pace on it or finding a great angle - it was also pretty reliable. To my untutored eye he lacks variety.

Kate and Wills: looked to be having a lovely day. They looked natural and entirely comfortable and Wills seemed to enjoy his chats with Agassi - what a treat to be in the box with Agassi and Graf. At one point there was a shout 'kate give us a wave' and Wills flashed a cheeky grin and gave a discreet little wave to a loud cheer. If they are as happy as they look long may it last.

The day: quite the best I have ever had at Wimbledon. The atmosphere in CC was terrific. Enthusiastic, generous, fair, and respectful to the players. Ferrer was well applauded for his good play. I could not say it was the most scintillating day's tennis ever, but it was a great day for me.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Yesterday on Centre Court Empty Re: Yesterday on Centre Court

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 am

Good choice of day, congratulations.

You got a proper TMF day, and that alone is worth the ticket.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 am

Glad you enjoyed it sounds like a wonderful tournament. Interesting on your perspective of seeing murray live. And Fed seemed to be ok so we will see what the semi looks like. I am glad you pointed to lapses. Oddly as well as he has played this tournament he seems to go walkabout a service game or 2 every match. And he can't afford to do that against Fed or he could find himself 2 sets down again like RG 2011. For some recent this season he seems to have one or 2 service games in every match where he misses routine forehands or through odd shot selection. His serve delivers him the short ball he is looking for and he would usually crush but he has a game every set where he shanks two or three easy forehands and practically hands the guy a break. He has to play clean behind his serve.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:54 am

If they are as happy as they look long may it last.
Why is it important to you if their marriage lasts? Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am

After a tiny bit of rain soCal, the sun came out. Youve gone and jinxed the terrible weather!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 am

That's a really great write up barry - glad you had a great day.

Bit worried about what you say about Fed's volleying - he needs to get that working or find a workaround for Friday!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 am

socal1976 wrote:Glad you enjoyed it sounds like a wonderful tournament. Interesting on your perspective of seeing murray live. And Fed seemed to be ok so we will see what the semi looks like. I am glad you pointed to lapses. Oddly as well as he has played this tournament he seems to go walkabout a service game or 2 every match. And he can't afford to do that against Fed or he could find himself 2 sets down again like RG 2011. For some recent this season he seems to have one or 2 service games in every match where he misses routine forehands or through odd shot selection. His serve delivers him the short ball he is looking for and he would usually crush but he has a game every set where he shanks two or three easy forehands and practically hands the guy a break. He has to play clean behind his serve.

Socal, yes, I've thought that too. It's very odd. Novak's form has been very good but out of the blue he chucks in these occasional rotten services games where he find himself 15-40 or 0-40. He's generally been able to dig himself out of these positions but he won't get away with it against Fed. I would say this is my biggest worry about Novak this tournament.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:10 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:After a tiny bit of rain soCal, the sun came out. Youve gone and jinxed the terrible weather!

Yes blame that one on me, I gave England crappy weather. I am sure you could get a couple of geniuses on this site to agree with you and maybe I am the second gunmen on the grassy knoll, but wait I wasn't born then?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:11 am

socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:After a tiny bit of rain soCal, the sun came out. Youve gone and jinxed the terrible weather!

Yes blame that one on me, I gave England crappy weather. I am sure you could get a couple of geniuses on this site to agree with you and maybe I am the second gunmen on the grassy knoll, but wait I wasn't born then?

I think JM means that by jinxing the terrible weather, you gave us the good weather! Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Glad you enjoyed it sounds like a wonderful tournament. Interesting on your perspective of seeing murray live. And Fed seemed to be ok so we will see what the semi looks like. I am glad you pointed to lapses. Oddly as well as he has played this tournament he seems to go walkabout a service game or 2 every match. And he can't afford to do that against Fed or he could find himself 2 sets down again like RG 2011. For some recent this season he seems to have one or 2 service games in every match where he misses routine forehands or through odd shot selection. His serve delivers him the short ball he is looking for and he would usually crush but he has a game every set where he shanks two or three easy forehands and practically hands the guy a break. He has to play clean behind his serve.

Socal, yes, I've thought that too. It's very odd. Novak's form has been very good but out of the blue he chucks in these occasional rotten services games where he find himself 15-40 or 0-40. He's generally been able to dig himself out of these positions but he won't get away with it against Fed. I would say this is my biggest worry about Novak this tournament.

Yes I don't know what it is either, he has to hit the short forehand cleanly tomorrow. It is actually a tougher shot off the grass than these pros make it look. And this year he has had an annoying habit of losing points that he is in a dominant position in through bad errors. The kind of errors that almost count as two errors because you are in control of the point and instead of winning the point through a really sloppy or the wrong shot at the wrong time you hand a won point to the opponent. It is almost always a service game that he makes two or three routine forehand errors in close proximity and it ends up making the match more difficult than it should be. Against fed serving on grass that is all it takes two bad service games and you could be out.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:17 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
If they are as happy as they look long may it last.
Why is it important to you if their marriage lasts? Rolling Eyes

Let's get one thing straight: I don't want to live in a 'fairytale princess' world. Not only is it daft, but it sets you up for certain unnecessary disappointment.

In answer to the question:

First, I'd rather that anyone is happily married rather than not, and perhaps even more so if they are in the public eye.

Second, if we ever get rid of the Royal Family I'd rather it's because we sit down and have a mature debate about what we want for the UK than that the family members lose our respect as people because their relationships collapse in unhappy and well-publicised divorces. If a majority want change then change we must have.

I think that there are good things to be said for a Constitutional Monarchy when the politicians are kept away from the pomp of state. There are things I'd like to change about the Monarchy, but I would rather debate the rights and wrongs of Constitutional change in an atmosphere whereby those that are doing the job seem to be reasonable, functional, and happy in their personal and official lives.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am

I agree with you regarding the Muzza f/h: which is not a weapon of mass destruction for sure. It makes yesterday's win all more valuable as it was against a player who has scored countless winners with his f/h.

I don't agree with your view on Fed's net game: I personally don't trust Fed as a great volleyer, he is often in the wrong position, too far off the net and gets passed or is made to play akward volleys. Yesterday I think he was above par and played very well on that department.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:38 am

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:I agree with you regarding the Muzza f/h: which is not a weapon of mass destruction for sure. It makes yesterday's win all more valuable as it was against a player who has scored countless winners with his f/h.

I don't agree with your view on Fed's net game: I personally don't trust Fed as a great volleyer, he is often in the wrong position, too far off the net and gets passed or is made to play akward volleys. Yesterday I think he was above par and played very well on that department.

I was more pointing out that when he did get volleys wrong you could see it wrong going from from the moment he made his late decision to come to the net. A few times you could see that the movement to the net started with the need for him to take a bit of time to adjust his balance away from a default position of returning to the baseline - the decision to move forward needed to be taken consciously and that lost him the crucial moments meaning that he was not in the right place for a volley. I agree that by and large he was OK at the net, but stillto me he looked like an attacking baseliner who does a decent sideline in volleys, not a particularly natural vollyer.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I've deleted a post (you know who you are). Is it not possible to have one day on here without posters having a go at each other?
If someone misunderstands your post, this can easily be cleared up in a civil manner, surely?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm

He's a terrible poster really. Humour bypass.

Why not just ask me to alter my post? The message in that post should be seen.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for the intersting write up.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm

i was there yesterday working but now no more Sad
sayonara wimbledon hopefully cya next year.

i guess i can watch the tennis now

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:40 pm

barrystar

I was on centre court on Monday and saw Federer, Azarenka and Djokovic (and their opponents)

What struck me watching Federer live is the different sounds coming from his raquet reflecting the different spins. It really is noticeable compared to other players.

Everyone in the crowd was tutting at Azarenka because of the noise but she was rutheless. She was so mean and wouldn't give anything away. About to watch her now playing Serena. This must be the Womens version of Federer Djokovic for this tournament and I have no idea who will win...

Djokovic really belts the ball from the back of the court and moves so well. It didn't really feel like it was a competative match with his friend Troiki at the other side of the net.

Stood to applaud them all... especially Federer and Djokovic when they left the court as a thank you not just for their play on the day but for the fun I have had watching them over the years.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:barrystar

I was on centre court on Monday and saw Federer, Azarenka and Djokovic (and their opponents)

What struck me watching Federer live is the different sounds coming from his raquet reflecting the different spins. It really is noticeable compared to other players.

Everyone in the crowd was tutting at Azarenka because of the noise but she was rutheless. She was so mean and wouldn't give anything away. About to watch her now playing Serena. This must be the Womens version of Federer Djokovic for this tournament and I have no idea who will win...

Djokovic really belts the ball from the back of the court and moves so well. It didn't really feel like it was a competative match with his friend Troiki at the other side of the net.

Stood to applaud them all... especially Federer and Djokovic when they left the court as a thank you not just for their play on the day but for the fun I have had watching them over the years.

Funnily enough, I saw Federer, Djokovic, and Azarenka and their respective opponents on CC in 2009 once!

I agree with your sentiments, including immense irritation about Azarenka's noise, which is such a pity because I agree she's quite a player.

I have not really noticed the noise on Fed's racquet save every now and then he hits what I would call a 'spiteful' shot, a waspish low hissy one that seems to miss the net by mm, find an impossible angle or gap and squirt off the turf, usually accompanied by a 'ooooooooooooh' from the crowd.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Barry. Excellent writeup. Glad to see you enjoyed your day. Bit envious too. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Wow nice to hear u had a great day of tennis, when I was in Cardiff for like 5 years I always dreamt of going to Wimbledon but didn't have the money, but now I have move to Toronto and wish to see Roger and Rafa in Roger's masters, I wish my day will come soon.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down