The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts

+4
azania
OasisBFC
Sunnydapasingh1984
davidemore
8 posters

Go down

Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts Empty Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts

Post by davidemore Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 22:27

Wow.

That was a ruck. Not to sound like a silly billy but my prediction played out exactly (see my previous pre-fight post).

But...

Even i didn't expect it to be THAT good, that entertaining.

Forget the fact that Kell seemed to tire earlier than one would like, and that he got caught too often, he fought like a warrior against a young, but very cunning opponent.

Kell Brook was tested and Kell Brook passed that test. He passed it by showing a ton of heart against a man who came to win. I am very impressed when i see a boxer fight with such a badly broken nose.

Do i have concerns? Yes. Do i think Kell can overcome those concerns? I'm not sure yet, but he has the gifts to do so, and tonight was a huge learning curve.

Let's hope he now pushes forward and not back. Let's hope he does indeed go for the IBF title in his next two fights. After that he deserves a crack.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts Empty Re: Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts

Post by Sunnydapasingh1984 Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 22:33

Had the ref not stepped in with them last 20 seconds of round 12 which helped brook gain a breather, I think most would agree that Carson was about to take him out!!

Good heart from brook but good 18-24 months away and 4-5 fights away before even to be considered to fight anyone of "world level" status

Sunnydapasingh1984

Back to top Go down

Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts Empty Re: Brook vs Jones: Early Post Fight Thoughts

Post by davidemore Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 22:41

Hmm, he wasn't bowled over in the last 20 seconds chum, he was staggered and may well have lasted. He did not look like he was about to be KO'd IMO. Jones fought very well. He's cunning, lured in Brook often. I had Brook by 1 round.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 22:56

i had brook winning. it was all brook until he gassed and jones was like a steam train. both showed big heart and looked like brook's heart was broken which must have been incredibly hard.

im sick of saying it, he simply doesnt have KO power for world level. although he made a fan of me tonight, he does have power to trouble.

think khan would beat him at this stage but its a fight id love to see.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 23:45

Sunnydapasingh1984 wrote:Had the ref not stepped in with them last 20 seconds of round 12 which helped brook gain a breather, I think most would agree that Carson was about to take him out!!

Good heart from brook but good 18-24 months away and 4-5 fights away before even to be considered to fight anyone of "world level" status

Puerile nonsense. At no stage did Brook look like going down let alone stopped. Are you saying that Jones was not at world level?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 23:47

OasisBFC wrote:i had brook winning. it was all brook until he gassed and jones was like a steam train. both showed big heart and looked like brook's heart was broken which must have been incredibly hard.

im sick of saying it, he simply doesnt have KO power for world level. although he made a fan of me tonight, he does have power to trouble.

think khan would beat him at this stage but its a fight id love to see.

KO power is not the be all. Neither Pac or Floyd hit as hard as Kell.

Khan would beat him though. Too much movement and speed. It would be one sided.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:36

Jones took what Kell had and then basically beat him up.

Brook got the decision but I got the feeling in the post fight ringside interviews that Kell knew in himself that Jones actually had the better of him. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:38

How did Jones get the better of him when Kell won most rounds?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:45

azania wrote:How did Jones get the better of him when Kell won most rounds?

He had the better of him because Kell was battered and f furious ed at the end of the fight and Jones would have happily carried on and finished the job. I get the scoring system, but there was only one guy who really felt he had won the fight. Jones would fight Kell again tomorrow, not sure Kell would be quite as kean. Watch the post fight interview again, Kell knew it and couldn't hide it, his comments and his body language said it all.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:49

Jones lost fairly. Brook got a broken nose but otherwise was ok. He looked fine in the sky interview this evening. Jones looked worse.

Brook threw more and landed more. He won more rounds and landed more power punches. Looks are deceiving. At the post fight interviews, Jones knew he lost the fight. Had he thought he won he would have said so. He didn't.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:52

We might as well start saying that Chavez was beating Taylor easily before the last gasp KO if the appearance of both fighters matters so much.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 21:54

Imperial Ghosty wrote:We might as well start saying that Chavez was beating Taylor easily before the last gasp KO if the appearance of both fighters matters so much.

I couldn't remember Taylor's name. But well put.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 22:03

azania wrote:Jones lost fairly. Brook got a broken nose but otherwise was ok. He looked fine in the sky interview this evening. Jones looked worse.

Brook threw more and landed more. He won more rounds and landed more power punches. Looks are deceiving. At the post fight interviews, Jones knew he lost the fight. Had he thought he won he would have said so. He didn't.

I guess we all see what we want to see, because what I saw was a man who when the fight had run its course was glad to hear the bell, and certainly did not look or talk like a man who felt he had won anything other than a statistical victory.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 22:05

Well boxing is fought over 12 rounds using the 10 point must system, if you get the deserved decision then nothing else matters.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 22:21

dragonbreath wrote:
azania wrote:Jones lost fairly. Brook got a broken nose but otherwise was ok. He looked fine in the sky interview this evening. Jones looked worse.

I guess we all see what we want to see, because what I saw was a man who when the fight had run its course was glad to hear the bell, and certainly did not look or talk like a man who felt he had won anything other than a statistical victory.

We saw the same thing but you are looking for something else. Yes he looked relieved when the bell went. He was knackered and his nose was broken. Was he supposed to be disappointed? He looked happy when the final bell went against Hatton also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 9 Jul 2012 - 9:48

Sunnydapasingh1984 wrote:Had the ref not stepped in with them last 20 seconds of round 12 which helped brook gain a breather, I think most would agree that Carson was about to take him out!!

I, for one, wouldn't. Brook was slightly shaken, no more, and had shown enough in the previous 5-6 rounds that he would've still held on - he was in better shape than Khan in the 10th round v Maidana for example.

Maybe people were expecting Kell to blast him out of there in 4-5 rounds, hence the hullaballo following this fight which, having rewatched it sober the next day, I just can't see (in terms of the criticism Kell's got and how much his performance has been slated). Good strong opponent, just what he needed and gave him the gut-check he needed. Jones' chin and powers of recovery were excellent and I think this did some psychological damage to Brook however I still gave it to him 115-113, close but I think the overall performance and result were positive and good from Brook. Would like him to have that 1 extra fight (in the autumn) in order to become manadatory then go for the title.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 9 Jul 2012 - 9:58

Hearn has come out saying that Brook was poorly prepared and didn't work hard enough in his training camp, struggled to make the weight etc, which does sound a lot like he's trying to make excuses for Brook not delivering on what he promised.

However, some good news, because after winning that IBF title eliminator Brook is in line to, oh hang on, fight a final eliminator against Hector Saldivia late this year. They will be using a strength and conditioning coach this time though. Good idea that.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 9 Jul 2012 - 10:06

Union Cane wrote:Hearn has come out saying that Brook was poorly prepared and didn't work hard enough in his training camp, struggled to make the weight etc, which does sound a lot like he's trying to make excuses for Brook not delivering on what he promised.

However, some good news, because after winning that IBF title eliminator Brook is in line to, oh hang on, fight a final eliminator against Hector Saldivia late this year. They will be using a strength and conditioning coach this time though. Good idea that.

Maybe they should bring Ariza in......?

As the commentators were saying, Jones didn't do anything different or special in the latter half of the fight. Not like Khan-Peterson when LP changed his game-plan to great effect. A dedicated training camp with a top class strength and conditioning coach would've made for a lot easier fight for Kell in my opinion.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down